Forum Settings
Forums

Do you mind Harem if the MC is actually good ?

New
Do you mind Harem if the MC is actually good ?
Jul 4, 2016 7:41 PM

Sep 2015
Well for me , NO , if the MC is good then I don't mind / blame the girls who like him since he's really interesting
Nanami0007Jul 4, 2016 7:45 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2016 7:42 PM

May 2015
If the overall story of the Harem is great and the characters are likeable then no, I don't mind it at all.
Jul 4, 2016 7:43 PM

Sep 2015
It doesn't matter what type of show it is, if the main character is able to carry the entire series alone, then I wouldn't mind it. They are the protagonist and should already be receiving the most attention anyways.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Jul 4, 2016 7:43 PM

Mar 2016
Its almost impossible to have a good harem MC.
The only good one is Kazuma and he doesnt even have a harem

Jul 4, 2016 7:44 PM

Jul 2015
What do you consider a "good" MC in a harem?

caught in the wonder
Jul 4, 2016 7:44 PM

Jun 2016
i dislike harems no matter what the mc is
Scream!
Jul 4, 2016 7:47 PM

Jun 2015
I rated Rokujouma and Seizon a 9. My avearage on harem anime is 4.77.

Yup. Do the math.

Aug 2015
I'll take a love triangle over a harem any day. I'm waiting for the day where we have an anime where each members of the harem have to kill each other off and the winner remains with him/her etc.
“There is no greater danger than underestimating your opponent.”Lao Tzu

Sep 2015
Gem said:
What do you consider a "good" MC in a harem?

Well it really depends on taste so.. I don't know what to say .., my taste is weird specially in Harem thing
Jul 4, 2016 7:48 PM

May 2012
Monogatari is better than most non harems so I dont mind.
Jul 4, 2016 7:50 PM

Sep 2015
LogicalInjustice said:
I'll take a love triangle over a harem any day. I'm waiting for the day where we have an anime where each members of the harem have to kill each other off and the winner remains with him/her etc.

Wow that's EPIC , I think Yuno is suitable to be one of this Harem
Jul 4, 2016 7:52 PM

Jan 2008
No, but I do mind a harem if the MC is bad. /cough

On a serious note, I'm not one of those who has problems with harem anime, unless they're shit tier quality like Hundred.
Jul 4, 2016 7:55 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
whotf cares about the main character?..... lol
Jul 4, 2016 7:56 PM

Aug 2015
If the harem have good MC and doesn't have extreame ecchi then I'm Ok.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jul 4, 2016 7:59 PM

Sep 2015
Mamster-P said:

I wouldn't care either , but the fact that most MCs (Specially the boring ones) have the longest screen time so it's hard to ignore them
Jul 4, 2016 8:03 PM

Mar 2015
Define "good".. As for me, as long as the MC do not force a kiss on the female characters and get away because of his "good looking face", he is "good". Except for Makoto of course.
This salad is salty favored
Jul 4, 2016 8:05 PM

Nov 2015
More than the MC I'd rather see a solid premise and have some semblance of a plot.
That being said I still prefer staying away from the harem genre.
Jul 4, 2016 8:05 PM

Feb 2016
I don't mind if the MC gives most of his attention to one girl, and the rest are just in the way. Like Clannad
Jul 4, 2016 8:13 PM

May 2016
Gesu- said:
More than the MC I'd rather see a solid premise and have some semblance of a plot.

A Harem with plot would be the Bakemonogatari series, but you put that one On-Hold
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jul 4, 2016 8:16 PM

Nov 2015
HyperL said:
Gesu- said:

A Harem with plot would be the Bakemonogatari series, but you put that one On-Hold

Yeah, I'm still gonna watch that though.
Jul 4, 2016 8:21 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Muqta-chan said:
Mamster-P said:

I wouldn't care either , but the fact that most MCs (Specially the boring ones) have the longest screen time so it's hard to ignore them

its not even about ignoring them, i don't ignore them, its just idgaf if theyre badasses or pussies for the most part. i mean, sure theres a few i like, but the girls are what matter lol
Jul 4, 2016 8:25 PM

Dec 2015
Well, if the main character(s) are good, regardless of the genre, I'll like it.
But even if they're shit, I'll mind harem, since different shows serve different purposes.
Jul 4, 2016 8:27 PM

Dec 2015
OneNaughtyBear said:
I don't mind if the MC gives most of his attention to one girl, and the rest are just in the way. Like Clannad

Problems might arise if you wish for a different ship, tho.
Jul 4, 2016 8:53 PM

Feb 2016
Fadosious said:
OneNaughtyBear said:

Problems might arise if you wish for a different ship, tho.

For real. I was shipping Tomoya x Kyou. Nagisa grew on me though so everything worked out in the end :)
Jul 4, 2016 9:05 PM

Sep 2015
Mamster-P said:
Muqta-chan said:

its not even about ignoring them, i don't ignore them, its just idgaf if theyre badasses or pussies for the most part. i mean, sure theres a few i like, but the girls are what matter lol

Wooh so you care about the girls , that's actually nice
Jul 4, 2016 9:07 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Muqta-chan said:
Mamster-P said:

um.... you must be new here....... if that wasn't obvious as fuck...... lol
Jul 4, 2016 9:32 PM
Jul 2018
It doesn't matter what the MC is. it could be the most perverted character ever i still wouldn't mind. harem is the best
Jul 4, 2016 9:57 PM

Sep 2015
Mamster-P said:
Muqta-chan said:

um.... you must be new here....... if that wasn't obvious as fuck...... lol

LOL you made me look stupid .. whatever I didn't check your profile just now
Jul 4, 2016 10:06 PM

Dec 2014
Usually if the writer is able to make a good MC, he would also be able to make a good overall cast and probably a good story and setting, so even if it's harem, what's there not to like? Bakemonogatari and Kami Nomi zo Shiru Sekai are good examples of this.

But if the scenario is "the MC is good but everything else is Maken Ki 2 level of bad harem" then I would still not like it. Maybe. I actually like HxDxD because of Issei, but everything else in there was also fine so he wasn't carrying the show alone.

Seems I haven't seen enough harem to give a right answer (idk if most of them are "fun because it's stupid" like Rosario + Vampire or "so stupid it's not fun anymore" like Maken Ki), so I will stay with No, if the MC is good then chances are I won't mind the harem.
Jul 4, 2016 10:35 PM

Sep 2015
As long as the show has one husbando, I'll watch it.

You just lost the game
Jul 4, 2016 10:39 PM
Jan 2015
Well even if the MC isn't all that great I can still enjoy a harem if the girls are great.
My Queens

Jul 4, 2016 11:04 PM
Oct 2014
Mamster-P said:

Heh heh! My thoughts exactly. A good MC can make a harem better, but he's certainly not necessary. Hell, Girls Bravo is one of my favorite shows, and the main character in that one is pretty much the definition of a wimpy harem MC. A strong supporting cast and good humor are far more important to me.

Of course, I may not be the best judge of character. I'm probably one of only a handful of people who actually like Yuuki Rito from To Love-Ru.
Jul 4, 2016 11:21 PM

Jul 2013
I watch harems even if the MC is your typical dense guy. If the designs of the girls are good, then I watch it. That is what I expect the most of an harem in the first place after all (if the harem has some quality, however, I also don't mind it).
Jul 5, 2016 12:24 AM

Dec 2015
No, I don't mind; I will watch any harem if the MC is good, if the show is somehow a deconstruction of the genre, or if the plot is good and is actually original and creative (which I have seen only a few).

With that being said, the above stated harems barely exist. In my experience I have found about less than 10% that I watched (not including everything on my watched list) I have liked. Most harem is garbage, plain and simple. You will find some true hidden gems in this genre though, but most people don't want to sit through all that cringey shit just to find a couple of hidden gems when other genres you can find TONS of good shows with decent MC/plot/creativity instead of just a few.

An example of an MC I don't mind is the guy in the World God Only Knows (only thing is I don't like how he treats the girls as disposable sometimes which pisses me off).

Another thing I don't like is when I'm watching a shoujo that doesn't have a harem tag and then halfway through a harem forms. That is an instant-drop for me, and it ruins my viewing experience when there is no harem tag on it. I watched the show for the shoujo tag, not some superficial harem bullshit with trip/fall boob grabs -_-.

@Mamster-P
A shit MC like most harem MC's can ruin the enjoyability for most of us by a lot. Especially if its some dense pussy ass dude that wouldn't know a girl liked him if he was getting fucked by his harem on a daily basis. The MC isn't the only factor for enjoyment for me in harem series, but its the main issue I must first overcome to be like alright I don't mind this is a harem and I'm gonna watch it. Then I look at plot, the girls, and if it has creativity. If its a copy/paste harem that's the next thing that will make me absolutely not watch it. For me, its hard finding a good harem.

I know you are an ecchi/harem lover. Recommend me some good harem series that doesn't have a bad MC and isn't copy/paste fall boob grabs and things of that nature, if you would please :). I was just trying to find some the other day, but really couldn't be bothered to wade through all the shit out there. I watched the World God Only Knows and enjoyed it thoroughly though. I am watching KissxSis right now. I enjoyed Monster Musume too. I don't usually mind if the MC ends up with 1 girl or harem ending, just hate the open ended shit. Also if I was going to have to choose a favorite for harem it would be Seitokai Yakuindomo, I thought it was refreshing and hilarious (its actually on my favorites list :P).

PS No phantom world please, I tried it and didn't like it. (I know, blasphemy ;)! )
CejaraJul 5, 2016 12:43 AM
Jul 5, 2016 2:21 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Mamster-P said:

Pretty much this.

Why people continue to watch harems for the dude in the middle of it all instead of, y'know, the actual focus of them is pretty much beyond me at this point.

Seems kind of dense in its own way.

Jul 5, 2016 2:23 AM

Mar 2014
>Harem protagonists
>Good

Pick one
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jul 5, 2016 2:47 AM

Dec 2015
If the Mc is good, the other characters should be good as well!
We only see Typical AF Harems except for a few.
Also, I wouldn't really mind even if he's lame since I don't give it that much thought...
Although its a pain to watch Reverse Harems with 'em annoying and spineless
female MCs.
Iroha-chanJul 5, 2016 3:09 AM
Jul 5, 2016 2:49 AM

Sep 2012
Literally the only reason I ever dislike a harem is cause of bitchy MCs.

Remove that and boom, good stuffs.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Jul 5, 2016 2:55 AM

Jan 2016
Of course... I would even watch a harem even if the MC is horrible and/or dense af. There'll only a few harem shows that really turned me off.
Jul 5, 2016 2:57 AM

Jun 2016
I don't mind as long as ;
* Good Mc
* Good story
* Harem is relevant to the story in some way or allows some character development
* Mc does end up with someone ( maybe )
Jul 5, 2016 2:58 AM

Dec 2015
Cejara said:
No, I don't mind; I will watch any harem if the MC is good, if the show is somehow a deconstruction of the genre, or if the plot is good and is actually original and creative (which I have seen only a few).

With that being said, the above stated harems barely exist. In my experience I have found about less than 10% that I watched (not including everything on my watched list) I have liked. Most harem is garbage, plain and simple. You will find some true hidden gems in this genre though, but most people don't want to sit through all that cringey shit just to find a couple of hidden gems when other genres you can find TONS of good shows with decent MC/plot/creativity instead of just a few.

An example of an MC I don't mind is the guy in the World God Only Knows (only thing is I don't like how he treats the girls as disposable sometimes which pisses me off).

Another thing I don't like is when I'm watching a shoujo that doesn't have a harem tag and then halfway through a harem forms. That is an instant-drop for me, and it ruins my viewing experience when there is no harem tag on it.
@Mamster-P
A shit MC like most harem MC's can ruin the enjoyability for most of us by a lot. Especially if its some dense pussy ass dude that wouldn't know a girl liked him if he was getting fucked by his harem on a daily basis. The MC isn't the only factor for enjoyment for me in harem series, but its the main issue I must first overcome to be like alright I don't mind this is a harem and I'm gonna watch it. Then I look at plot, the girls, and if it has creativity. If its a copy/paste harem that's the next thing that will make me absolutely not watch it. For me, its hard finding a good harem.

I know you are an ecchi/harem lover. Recommend me some good harem series that doesn't have a bad MC and isn't copy/paste fall boob grabs and things of that nature, if you would please :). I was just trying to find some the other day, but really couldn't be bothered to wade through all the shit out there. I watched the World God Only Knows and enjoyed it thoroughly though. I am watching KissxSis right now. I enjoyed Monster Musume too. I don't usually mind if the MC ends up with 1 girl or harem ending, just hate the open ended shit. Also if I was going to have to choose a favorite for harem it would be Seitokai Yakuindomo, I thought it was refreshing and hilarious (its actually on my favorites list :P).

PS No phantom world please, I tried it and didn't like it. (I know, blasphemy ;)! )

Say, what? There's a Shoujo that has Harem in it? I highly doubt there's one & I haven't seen any before. Do you mind telling me which Anime is that? I'm really curious.
"I watched the show for the shoujo tag, not some superficial harem bullshit with trip/fall boob grabs -_-."-

Now, I'm even more curious. That's utter bullshit though.
Jul 5, 2016 3:05 AM

Dec 2015
DarkerTone said:
I don't mind as long as ;
* Good Mc
* Good story
* Harem is relevant to the story in some way or allows some character development
* Mc does end up with someone ( maybe )

Then, it'd become a normal rom-com. The Harem Genre will no longer exist if that were the case, I think.
Jul 5, 2016 3:06 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
It's still more important that the girls are likable but yeah a decent MC helps a lot as well

Still think the biggest problem is the amount of harems which are also battle harems, as they tend to insist on having some awful excuse story slapped on top just because they can even though literally no one is watching harems for the sake of the story
Jul 5, 2016 3:08 AM

Dec 2015
Iroha-chan said:
Cejara said:

Another thing I don't like is when I'm watching a shoujo that doesn't have a harem tag and then halfway through a harem forms. That is an instant-drop for me, and it ruins my viewing experience when there is no harem tag on it.
@Mamster-P

Say, what? There's a Shoujo that has Harem in it? I highly doubt there's one & I haven't seen any before. Do you mind telling me which Anime is that? I'm really curious.
"I watched the show for the shoujo tag, not some superficial harem bullshit with trip/fall boob grabs -_-."-

Yeah, I got to look through my anime watched list. It was about 3 weeks ago, it was probably just mis-tagged I guess. I'm not great on remembering anime names, so I'll post when I find it. It wound up being one of those boring shoujo's where the guy found out the girl likes manga, and she was popular and had to hide it from everyone. Basically everyone fell in love with this guy even her own younger sister, some other random girl, and I believe another one all trying to steal him away throughout the entire thing, and it was really annoying and pathetic to watch. It wasn't that great of a show/shoujo to being with lol.

Oh and Mysterious Girlfriend X was kind of guilty of this too. Every girl that found out he tasted his girlfriends drool wanted to offer it to him including an idol, childhood friend, and popular girl in school and that isn't tagged as harem either.
CejaraJul 5, 2016 3:11 AM
Jul 5, 2016 3:13 AM

Jul 2015
yeah i loved Twgok because of Keima <3
Jul 5, 2016 3:15 AM

Dec 2015
tragedydesu said:
yeah i loved Twgok because of Keima <3

"I can see the ending!" That guy is so pro ^_^.
Jul 5, 2016 3:16 AM

Dec 2015
Cejara said:
Iroha-chan said:

Yeah, I got to look through my anime watched list. It was about 3 weeks ago, it was probably just mis-tagged I guess. I'm not great on remembering anime names, so I'll post when I find it. It wound up being one of those boring shoujo's where the guy found out the girl likes manga, and she was popular and had to hide it from everyone. Basically everyone fell in love with this guy even her own younger sister, some other random girl, and I believe another one all trying to steal him away throughout the entire thing, and it was really annoying and pathetic to watch. It wasn't that great of a show/shoujo to being with lol.

Mis-tagged? *phew* that's more like it.
For a second, I thought you were referring to a 'Reverse-Harem' since they are the ones that tend to be under Shoujo.
But after reading 'boob-Grap' shit, I was like 'Nah, there's no ecchi in Reverse Harems' .
Hmm, its alright. Hopefully, I'll find it.. Eventually :)
Jul 5, 2016 3:22 AM

Dec 2015
Iroha-chan said:
Cejara said:

For a second, I thought you were referring to a 'Reverse-Harem' since they are the ones that tend to be under Shoujo.
But after reading 'boob-Grap' shit, I was like 'Nah, there's no ecchi in Reverse Harems' .

Yeah, don't think I've ever seen a boob-grab in a reverse harem before xD. Then again I have only seen Ouran-Highschool Host Club, Brother's Conflict (snorefest), and Amnesia (I got amnesia watching this).
Jul 5, 2016 3:26 AM

Apr 2013
If he's Negi/Keima level of good then I don't mind.
Jul 5, 2016 3:33 AM

Dec 2015
Cejara said:
Iroha-chan said:

Yeah, don't think I've ever seen a boob-grab in a reverse harem before xD. Then again I have only seen Ouran-Highschool Host Club, Brother's Conflict (snorefest), and Amnesia (I got amnesia watching this).

Thankfully, there's nothing of the sort otherwise I wouldn't have watched neither Kamisama kiss nor Akatsuki no Yona(I've no idea why this is tagged as R.Harem) . OHSHC was one of my very first shows when I'd little knowledge about Anime.
Amnesia? That show is =_=. The only thing good about it was the visuals( Reason why I watched it and Diabolik Lovers) and that Spirit thing.
Edit: After seeing that drool scene, I dropped that Anime. Disgusting!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» For people who have a ''Watching'' list full of anime...

animegamer245 - 11 minutes ago

4 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime sequels that fell off ( 1 2 )

ST63LTH - May 11

52 by animejas »»
3 minutes ago

» What do you wish to see ??

Lion_Sin - 17 minutes ago

9 by Lion_Sin »»
3 minutes ago

» Successor to "Isekai"

NostalgiaDrive94 - 49 minutes ago

8 by Lion_Sin »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime tropes you want to see more of

ST63LTH - 6 hours ago

20 by Lhundrup »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.