Jul 4, 2016 12:34 AM

Nov 2014
Allura before

Allura after

What is wrong with you?

Jul 4, 2016 12:42 AM

May 2015
Is there a problem with that? 30 characters
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2016 12:43 AM

Nov 2014
zal said:
yes, you don't go sleep for 10000 and then suddenly become black

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
shawnofthedeadzJul 4, 2016 6:10 PM

Jul 4, 2016 12:44 AM

Jun 2008
So....wait, I see Netflix on that pic...

Soooooo, is this American?
Jul 4, 2016 12:45 AM

Nov 2014
JustALEX said:

The original is from Japan, Netflix made a reboot.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1448/Hyakujuu-Ou_GoLion

Jul 4, 2016 12:45 AM

May 2015
ExTemplar said:
zal said:
Is it a continuation or a reboot? If it is the first case than yes you are right. If it is a reboot I don't see the issue, characters design can change.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2016 12:47 AM

Nov 2014
zal said:
ExTemplar said:
Is it a continuation or a reboot? If it is the first case than yes you are right. If it is a reboot I don't see the issue, characters design can change.
it is a reboot continuation/ lost in the lore

Jul 4, 2016 12:47 AM

Jun 2008
ExTemplar said:
JustALEX said:

The original is from Japan, Netflix made a reboot.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1448/Hyakujuu-Ou_GoLion

Ohhh...ok, now I got it.

lol, that's pretty funny that they changed her from white to black.
Jul 4, 2016 12:49 AM

Jul 2012
ExTemplar said:
zal said:

Having not watched the series, I'm just going to assume she fell asleep in a tanning bed for 10,000 years.
Jul 4, 2016 12:51 AM

Jul 2013
She got a reversed Casca's white washing case, lol.
Jul 4, 2016 12:52 AM

Nov 2014
Illyricus said:
Japan's payback to America lol.
GamerDLM said:
ExTemplar said:

Having not watched the series, I'm just going to assume she fell asleep in a tanning bed for 10,000 years.
Too bad she did not turn into a charcoal.

Jul 4, 2016 12:53 AM

Nov 2015
And Casca is white.
People change, deal with it
Jul 4, 2016 12:54 AM

Dec 2014
It's a reboot so it's not a big deal Rose in FMA and FMA:Brotherhood lightened up a couple of skin tones but it was no big deal because reboot if you want to make a thread about this you could make one about how Casca is now magically white in the new Berserk though
Jul 4, 2016 12:56 AM

Apr 2016
Gesu- said:

I'm not someone who cares much about races in fiction, but you can't change your skin color so drastically or your race. What you said was pretty dumb.
Something witty that makes you think I'm funny

Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier
Jul 4, 2016 12:59 AM

Nov 2014
bikers123 said:
Gesu- said:

I'm not someone who cares much about races in fiction, but you can't change your skin color so drastically or your race. What you said was pretty dumb.
but Michael Jackson though. He could

Jul 4, 2016 1:02 AM

Jan 2009
thats hot, brown skin girls on 2D animation are sexy and deliciously looking like chocolates anyway
Jul 4, 2016 1:04 AM

Nov 2015
j0x said:
thats hot, brown skin girls on 2D animation are sexy and deliciously looking like chocolates anyway

ikr!
I don't care I'd fucking eat her :3
Jul 4, 2016 1:11 AM

Jan 2009
Gesu- said:
j0x said:

ikr!
I don't care I'd fucking eat her :3

i see what you did there

and honestly even in real life those morena/tanned skin girls looks very sexy
Jul 4, 2016 1:20 AM

Apr 2013
Typical leftard agenda, what do you expect
It is so dense. Every single image has so many things going on.
Jul 4, 2016 4:19 AM

Feb 2013
oh man brown girls are the best
we totes need more of them
Jul 4, 2016 9:35 AM

May 2010
Illyricus said:

lmao its payback for making casca white ahaha
Jul 4, 2016 9:36 AM

Apr 2015
I feel offended

And extremely triggered.
Jul 4, 2016 9:41 AM

Jul 2015
zal said:

Nothing wrong with a black character, but knowing america as it presents itself nowadays, they're probably doing this to be politically correct after all the stupidity about the academy awards not being black enough. I just don't see the point of changing stuff that doesn't have to be changed

Same goes for hermione and her daughter in the Harry Potter play.
It's okay to smirk

Jul 4, 2016 9:48 AM

May 2015
addioo12 said:
zal said:

Nothing wrong with a black character, but knowing america as it presents itself nowadays, they're probably doing this to be politically correct after all the stupidity about the academy awards not being black enough. I just don't see the point of changing stuff that doesn't have to be changed

Same goes for hermione and her daughter in the Harry Potter play.
The passive racism in Japan is quite evident and if the redesign doesn't affect the show negatively I don't see the issue even if it is pushed by pc people. Having more diversity is not a bad thing until it doesn't damage the show.
I stopped caring abut harrypotte after the 7th book, I didn't even watch the films after the 5th one.
Jul 4, 2016 9:54 AM

Nov 2008
Benevolance said:
Illyricus said:

lmao its payback for making casca white ahaha

Pretty much, talk about characters being ruined in anime and works based off anime this season.

Jul 4, 2016 11:15 AM

Jun 2016
zal said:

Of course, you can't just change a character's race out of nowhere, besides what's the fucking point?
Jul 4, 2016 11:17 AM

Jul 2015
Zelkiiro said:
Awful lotta white supremacists in this thread...

Just to make sure I'm not being misunderstood, which happens often when you're on the web, I don't care much about the race or gender of the actors themselves. For all I care, Allura could be changed to Indian Albino. Same goes for the cast of the HP play. For all I care, Ron could be played by an asian, Hermione by a black woman and their daughter by a Hispanic transgender with autism, as long as they nail their roles.
My problem is that needlessly changing the ethnicity of a character for the sake of diversity is just placing them on a pedestal for even more racism
It's okay to smirk

Jul 4, 2016 11:44 AM

May 2015
potatoeman said:
zal said:

Of course, you can't just change a character's race out of nowhere, besides what's the fucking point?
Redesigns happen all the time with reboots and I think this is an experiment to see if this kind of localization works, in Japan most characters are white because so is most of the population but Europe and USA are more mixed so the show might be appealing for a larger target thanks to the new princess.

If this was a continuation I would agree with you but it seems like a reboot so I don't see the issue of a redesign. I understand fans not liking it because everytime a character has a redesign fans will complain how it was better before even the few times it is not true but I don't understand making out of it a bigger issue than just a complete redesign.
Jul 4, 2016 11:58 AM

Jun 2016
zal said:
potatoeman said:

Redesigns happen all the time with reboots and I think this is an experiment to see if this kind of localization works, in Japan most characters are white because so is most of the population but Europe and USA are more mixed so the show might be appealing for a larger target thanks to the new princess.

If this was a continuation I would agree with you but it seems like a reboot so I don't see the issue of a redesign. I understand fans not liking it because everytime a character has a redesign fans will complain how it was better before even the few times it is not true but I don't understand making out of it a bigger issue than just a complete redesign.

My bad, i didn't know it was a reboot, i agree with you. It still seems kind of pointless to me but it makes more sense.
Jul 4, 2016 12:46 PM

Mar 2015
I think blue eyes speak against the changed ethnicity theory. She merely got a nice tan, one you got after the vacations in Caribbean.
Jul 4, 2016 6:57 PM

Oct 2013

Thread Moved From Anime Discussion to the Hyakujuu-Ou GoLion Series Board.
This discussion was revolving around the change from the old Voltron anime series to the remake and as no entry exists for the new series it was placed in the original series forums. Please use the respective sub-boards for threads about specific anime and manga. Please also refrain from starting arguments or upsetting users by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the intent of provoking users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion as this is considered trolling and is not allowed.
Jul 17, 2016 9:38 PM
Mar 2009
God though, Blonde + Pink princess is such a tired, tired trope; and medieval space europeans didn't make much sense to begin with.
They gave the alteans new appearances to make them more distinct from humans— whereas 'being white' was enough to distinguish them from the original all-japanese heroes.

Considering all the other changes the series has made thus far, including certain not-dead characters and shape-shifting, Allura's new appearance is just a minor change used to keep up fresher visual design.
ramen-himeJul 17, 2016 10:57 PM
Aug 6, 2016 6:59 AM

Apr 2016
Guys.

Allura is an alien.
A shape shifting alien no less.
She literally turned herself purple and grew a full ft to disguise herself on a Galra ship.
Alteans don't give a damn about the Earth concept of race, she looks that way because she wants to.

Besides, what's wrong with a more diverse cast?
Next thing you know everyone starts flipping their shit because new Pidge is a girl.
Sep 6, 2016 6:56 AM

Jul 2010
Malise said:
I think blue eyes speak against the changed ethnicity theory. She merely got a nice tan, one you got after the vacations in Caribbean.

My thoughts exactly. And she looks good in it too.
Feb 10, 2017 1:15 PM

Jun 2009
hat-and-goggles said:
Guys.

Allura is an alien.
A shape shifting alien no less.
She literally turned herself purple and grew a full ft to disguise herself on a Galra ship.
Alteans don't give a damn about the Earth concept of race, she looks that way because she wants to.

Besides, what's wrong with a more diverse cast?
Next thing you know everyone starts flipping their shit because new Pidge is a girl.

That's a very good point that most of the guys here didn't think of.
Plus she's way more beautiful in the new version, brown skin looks hot on her.
Rhiannon-SenpaiFeb 10, 2017 1:19 PM
Feb 10, 2017 1:29 PM

Jun 2009
Tenth said:
Malise said:

My thoughts exactly. And she looks good in it too.

It doesn't speak against changed ethnicity. She's brown in the new one, that's it. She's not a tanned white person, also she's an alien, so her color really doesn't matter.
But there are real life black people with blue or green eyes, there are some black actors and actresses like that as well. For example Michael Ealy http://unapix.com/uploads/pages/biographies/Michael%20Ealy.jpg
Vanessa Williams: http://i.huffpost.com/gen/994679/images/o-VANESSA-WILLIAMS-ANCESTRY-facebook.jpg
Denise Vasi http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/denise-vasi-at-2014-roc-nation-pre-grammy-brunch-in-beverly-hills_4.jpg
Jesse Williams: http://thesource.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Jesse-Williams-Thesource.jpg
Gary Dourdan: http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.284209.1314353849!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_970/amd-garydourdan-jpg.jpg
etc. More black actors/actresses/artists with blue/green/hazel eyes here: http://blackeyesincolor.blogspot.ro/2012/07/famous-people.html
In conclusion, even if it's rare for a black person to have light or even blue eyes, it's possible, it happens in reality.
Rhiannon-SenpaiFeb 10, 2017 1:37 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hyakujuu-Ou GoLion Episode 63 Discussion

Serhiyko - Apr 23, 2023

0 by Serhiyko »»
Apr 23, 2023 7:53 AM

Poll: » Hyakujuu-Ou GoLion Episode 61 Discussion

Serhiyko - Apr 19, 2023

0 by Serhiyko »»
Apr 19, 2023 7:49 AM

» 52 eps? But why do I have 72 eps of this?

asgardian - Sep 21, 2012

8 by Serhiyko »»
Apr 18, 2023 4:12 PM

» Voltron or Golion, which version should i watch.

linkjoker - Oct 17, 2015

4 by KiroTheAssassin »»
Jul 13, 2022 7:14 PM

Poll: » Hyakujuu-Ou GoLion Episode 52 Discussion

VVill - Jun 6, 2021

0 by VVill »»
Jun 6, 2021 1:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.