Forum Settings
Forums

Which anime has the best characters? And why (for the purpose of no simple listing)

New
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »
Dec 27, 2012 1:49 AM

Oct 2012
I'm starting to feel this way about Pandora Hearts.Nice cast with unique designs and interesting personalities.

Dec 30, 2012 12:48 AM

Feb 2012
I would say Clannad (After Story),Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and hm Ef ~ a tale of memories/melodies.

also, Steins Gate.
RyuujiXmemoriesDec 30, 2012 12:53 AM
Dec 30, 2012 7:22 AM
Dec 2012
I'd say steins;gate, even Feyris annoyed me abit. And then K-on even Mio was annoying and they're all moeblobs. I just liked their friendship. There's no perfect cast of characters for me... yet...
Apr 3, 2015 11:50 PM
Feb 2014
Saki by a landslide. Not a single bad character in the show. Most people who enjoy the show usually don't leave hating a certain character and have more than 5 specific favorites at the end.
AqutanApr 3, 2015 11:55 PM
Apr 4, 2015 4:56 PM

Oct 2014
The Animes with the most characters I like are Gintama, One Piece and Fairy Tail...
Apr 6, 2015 11:24 PM
Dec 2009
[quote=Tachii]
lollypatrolly said:

And really, I wouldn't even call Kamina stereotypical, since I've seen nobody around my list of shows that had a similar character as him. Or nobody memorable enough that I would relate him to. Maybe Kittan tries to be him, but that's within the same show. And if I can't name any, then it isn't stereotypical for me. Hence, another form of subjectivity. Lots of it.

Are you freakin' kidding me?! Kamina is basically a carbon copy of Naruto! In fact, he's no different than you typical loudmouthed one-dimensional shounen lead...nothing even remotely unique about him.
LOLninjaApr 7, 2015 12:31 AM
Aug 24, 2015 8:57 AM

Sep 2013
Bleach, just one of them.
Kurosaki Ichigo.

How Ichigo acts like a good hearted punk in the beginning is pretty realistic, since most people who lost their moms get violent, but his family was there so he didn't turn into a bad guy.
Ichigo always had a void in his heart by not having the power to protect.
Rukia changed his life, his world, he got the power to protect he always desired.
When he lost the power the void was back, and when he got the power again, the void was filled once again.
But he doesn't take it for granted, even if someone else can handle the situation, he still wants to handle it himself, he knows it's selfish and prideful but that's who he is.
Aug 24, 2015 9:03 AM

Aug 2013
ichii_1 said:
Bleach, just one of them.
Kurosaki Ichigo.

How Ichigo acts like a good hearted punk in the beginning is pretty realistic, since most people who lost their moms get violent, but his family was there so he didn't turn into a bad guy.
Ichigo always had a void in his heart by not having the power to protect.
Rukia changed his life, his world, he got the power to protect he always desired.
When he lost the power the void was back, and when he got the power again, the void was filled once again.
But he doesn't take it for granted, even if someone else can handle the situation, he still wants to handle it himself, he knows it's selfish and prideful but that's who he is.

Ichigo and Ishida are the only likeable main characters in Bleach.
Aug 24, 2015 9:11 AM

Nov 2014
Monogatari series - Really good cast of characters with individual quirks and traits that are not mere cliches
Mawaru Penguindrum - Nigh every character was developed and dealt with, one way or another. Even supporting characters, and specially the main characters.
Princess Tutu - Particularly the 4 main cast of characters, probably the best character development and depth I've seen from the main cast as a whole, with each and every character having their own convictions, traits, troubles, and changes in the story.

Aug 24, 2015 9:21 AM

Aug 2015
Of course Space Battleship Yamato 2199 and Legend of the Galactic Heroes, only series where you can root for both protagonists and antagonists.
Aug 24, 2015 9:31 AM

Mar 2014
Shokugeki no Souma without a single doubt. Every single character is good ! It has lots of characters too ! It's amazing how it has so much characters and all of them are good. You don't see that in Fairy Tail where 3/4 of the main cast is shit. As others have mentionned, Gintama and FMAB. Fate/Zero had amazing characters, Fate/Stay Night too but no as much, Shirou was just straight up dumb.

Profile Picture and Avatar/Signature made by SenpieX, requested in this thread :https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1568530&show=0
Aug 24, 2015 10:01 AM

Aug 2013
the monogatari series by quite a way

hxh easily wins for shounen
Aug 24, 2015 3:33 PM

May 2010
Clannad and Sailor Moon series are probably one of not many anime where I actually enjoyed and loved almost everyone from the main cast. In SM case it'd be any season without Chibiusa at least.

Ahh, Kanon and Angel Beats! are similar case. Heroines arer super cute and male characters are just damn awesome. Key usually makes all of the main characters loveable, so no wonder about that...
Aug 24, 2015 3:48 PM

Jul 2015
I like Haganai the best, they had a lot of funny characters like Maria, Kobato and Rikka.
Sister Princess- also, I just loved those girls.
Aug 24, 2015 6:33 PM

Aug 2015
Out of what I have seen I would say Log Horizon has a really great cast of characters. Lots of them with lots of variety.
"How can we go on a quest to regenerate the world if we can’t even save the people standing right in front of us?!" -Lloyd Irving, Tales of Symphonia
Aug 24, 2015 11:00 PM
Jun 2015
Maison Ikkoku had a memorable cast of characters. Everyone in the house was different and fun to watch.
Aug 24, 2015 11:56 PM

May 2014
Ghost Stories, obviously.

A pervert, a Jew, an Evangelical, a complete bitch, a retard, and a talking cat? How could it possibly be better?
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Aug 25, 2015 12:10 AM

Mar 2015
Hunter x Hunter and not even close. Killua and Narrator are my all time favorites.
Aug 25, 2015 3:31 AM

Jun 2014
AttackOnTetris said:
Hunter x Hunter and not even close. Killua and Narrator are my all time favorites.
What about Meleoron?
May 31, 2016 5:55 PM

Jul 2015
I just thought this would be a good topic.

I see so many anime with one or a few characters that are cool as hell, but the rest are bland, and as they are only there for small purposes.

I want you guys to decide which anime has the best cast, where they all have a purpose and a personality, and develop as characters when the story calls for it, and the smaller characters don't feel wooden or dumb.

Of all the anime I've seen, I have to say that Durarara!!! has the best characters. They are all like able, or perhaps dislike able depending on your perspective, and have clear emotions, personalities and motives. You can just really see the life and emotions in every character in Durarara, even if those characters lack emotions for the purpose of the show and their character, it's done in a way that gives them even more depth.
May 31, 2016 5:59 PM
Sep 2015
Fate/Zero probably has one of the best cast I have ever seen in an anime. Every character serves a purpose and is complex to a certain extant (with the exception of Tokiomi and the red haired psychopath). Early to mid series you don't know who is going to win at all before the show establishes a main character more clearly. Seeing the masters interact with their servants is interesting. Not to mention Kiritsugu Emiya is the best character ever made.
May 31, 2016 6:00 PM

Oct 2014
"Cast building anime" like Love Live!, Nanatsu no Taizai, and Aikatsu! tend to have interesting characters as we're introduced to each one individually and they develop them more than with other anime. Longer anime with small casts like Fullmetal Alchemist and Cardcaptor Sakura also have great characters as they have some proper time to develop them.
May 31, 2016 6:04 PM

Jan 2016
JoJo has an amazing cast with alot of characters that have a purpose in the story and fate/zero aswell,i didn't even know kiritsugu was the main character until like season 2.
May 31, 2016 6:12 PM

Apr 2015
lotgh because so many characters have such deep personalities. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/LegendOfGalacticHeroes

No character is there for no reason.
Brace yourself.

Soon as LotGH 2017 comes out. The anime community is going to become so cancerous you will need to take cover and hide.
May 31, 2016 6:17 PM
Jul 2018
May be my style of preference but I love the cast for Kyoukai no Rinnie. Ranging from Half-shinigami, to cat girls. I'm also a huge fan of Rumiko Takahashi in general. So, ya, I'd say the cast for Kyoukai no Rinnie is my present favorite - on modern terms. But I also like the cast for Gintama a lot, too. In fact, they are very close, and amazing in their own ways.
May 31, 2016 6:31 PM

Sep 2013
Its not an anime, but it does what you describe very well.
Kokou no Hito, it pretty mush follows the life of one guy and all the people he met and interacted with. Quite honestly I don't think even one character was useless.
May 31, 2016 6:39 PM

Jun 2015
Shirobako has the best characters. Even side characters are fleshed out.

Fuck anybody who disagrees.
May 31, 2016 7:24 PM

Jun 2015
Noxious_ said:
lotgh because so many characters have such deep personalities. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Characters/LegendOfGalacticHeroes

No character is there for no reason.
I havent watced this show but that pic makes it look intersting.

do the ENTJ or the INTJ guys win?

apparently I have an affinity to be one of those 2 types.....

although such chars are mostly portrayed as villians
May 31, 2016 8:04 PM

Oct 2014
It's Maria-sama ga Miteru (MariMite) for me. Besides the featured pair, all the supporting characters get arcs devoted to them and most of the characters change/develop over the four season length. Loved the character designs and I wouldn't change the voice acting one iota. Facial expressions are the best I've seen of any anime so far.

A few others: (it also illustrates the esteem to which I hold of MariMite to see some of the shows I had to consider):

LotGH -- A huge, varied cast that HAS to be on anybody's short list. Refreshing character designs (geez: REAL noses and lips for a change).
So Ra No Wo To -- A perfect blend of characters and I especially liked the relationship between Kanata and Rio. The main cast was like a surrogate family and each member had troubling backstories that were revealed over the course of the show.
Revolutionary Girl Utena -- Utena's character changes plus a great set of supporting characters.
Toradora -- The core five mc's are another perfect blend: Taiga and Ryuuji contrasting personalities and perfect voice acting by Rie Kugimiya and Junji Majima.
Girls und Panzer -- I really like large varied casts that tick off all the trope boxes not to mention they are all so cute as to make your heart melt. Some of the antagonist girls are so comically over-the-top stereotypes that I have a permanent smile whenever I re-watch this (and its been 8 times already and it never gets old). The movie ramps it up even more.
Suzumiya Haruhi series -- Another balanced cast with great voice acting. Also great supporting characters. Iconic characters in Yuki Nagato and Haruhi herself. The movie especially developed Kyon and Yuki to perfection.
Nodame Cantabile -- Nodame and Chiaki's changes over time; large, humorous supporting cast.
Monogatari series -- Some of the best character designs thanks to Shaft and a fun, varied set: Shinobu, Hachikuji, Kanbara and more. Best harem ever.
Cowboy Bebop -- Another perfect blend of personalities and great voice acting.
8oomerMay 31, 2016 8:09 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

May 31, 2016 10:37 PM

Jul 2014
I really like characters in Darker than Black. Episodic ones and side characters for me were as interesting as the mains.
May 31, 2016 10:45 PM
Nov 2015
raph589 said:
Fate/Zero probably has one of the best cast I have ever seen in an anime. Every character serves a purpose and is complex to a certain extant (with the exception of Tokiomi and the red haired psychopath). Early to mid series you don't know who is going to win at all before the show establishes a main character more clearly. Seeing the masters interact with their servants is interesting. Not to mention Kiritsugu Emiya is the best character ever made.

+1 Tokiomi was an asshole. I feel sad for Rin to have such a father.

And Fate/Stay Night: UBW. Archer character is so fucking badass, he's increadibly strong & I liked his purpose and backstory. He's my top favorite character ever !
Jun 1, 2016 2:55 AM
Jun 2015
I personally think the anime Akatsuki no Yona has one of the best cast of chaacters. I honestly love all of them and it all feels like they plan an important role. Each character that is relevant to the story's plot, gets a backstory, and a purpose for who they are. Heck even the bad guy gets a great back story and even though i despise him every single time he speaks, I still can't help but admire how rounded the creators made him. If your looking for an anime with some great character progression, this anime is a must see.
Jun 7, 2016 12:31 AM

Dec 2010
I'm just gonna put it out there: Mars of Destruction

But honestly, I would have to give it to Full Metal Alchemist, Gintama, Steins;Gate or Durarara!!, all of which are very high up in the top anime list. I also personally think that Robotic;Notes is underrated.
GomizillaJun 7, 2016 12:45 AM
Sacrificing sleep and sanity for more anime-induced dopamine.
Jun 7, 2016 2:04 AM
Feb 2015
I think monogatari series has the best characters
Every one of them is likable and has great character development
Jun 7, 2016 2:16 AM

Nov 2013
hisoka, chrollo, meruem, gon, killua, kurapika,
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jun 7, 2016 2:17 AM

Feb 2016
Love Live!, because all the characters is very cute in design and personality, moreover evryone of the girls receive a good personal development during the series.

Also, when I think at good characters, the Monogatari Series come fast at my mind, I don't know very good the why, but I like every character from this show.
Jun 7, 2016 2:30 AM

Oct 2010
K-ON! has the most sophisticated cast of characters an anime has ever had.
Proof
Jun 7, 2016 2:36 AM

Jan 2015
Full Metal Alchemist, Steins;Gate, One Piece, Fate/zero and perhaps more :3

One Piece has many great characters with all unique traits and powers where a lot of characters can have a proper role on the saga and maybe return to another one when you least expect it :3

Where FMAB, Steins;Gate and Fate/zero all have very build characters that's all have a purpose for the plot :3
"No matter what painful things happens, even when it looks like you'll lose... when no one else in the world believes in you... when you don't even believe in yourself... I will believe in you!"

Jun 7, 2016 2:39 AM
Jul 2018
Legend of the galactic hereoes has very unique and large cast,with good spotlight for every major character.
Jun 7, 2016 2:40 AM

Nov 2009
Clannad & Clannad ~AS~

Very different characters, with all different struggles and history.

They all got a very deep back story, etc...

And you are emotionally bond with them....

(Sry, bad English)
Jun 7, 2016 2:44 AM
Sep 2015
Monogatari has very polished characters. Most of them belong to a character archetype but contrary to most other shows with similar casts their motives and personalities are explored extensively. All of them have a reason for being who they are and one can empathise with them.
Jun 7, 2016 2:46 AM

Jan 2016
Fuck Clannad everyone in that anime looks like messed up aliens.
Jun 7, 2016 2:51 AM

Mar 2014
LoGH is above all. Runner-up is Gintama.
Jun 7, 2016 2:57 AM

Mar 2016
Kuroko no basuke.

Almost every character have a purpose and most of them are likeable. I would probably add them all to my fav character list.

Dec 2014
Well from what I've seen.
  • Fate/Zero - main characters are really really well designed and some minor characters are outstanding as well.
  • Zankyou no Terror -although there aren't many.
  • Clannad - well in the surface they can look simply like a plot device. But if you think about some, you will realize how mature, wise and heartbreakingly devoted they are.
  • Shinsekai Yori - the plot trumps them all, but Saki, Tomiko, Squearel (+ he has one of the best eng ever) are so well done, and crystal clear characters.
  • Sunday without God - just watch it and cast a cures on me for recommending it (because there are no eng novels available, so you have to learn Japanese to enjoy this story to the very end).
  • Kara no Kyoukai - the worst character is better then the usual neutral+ / good- level.
  • Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica - Without the movies it already has one of the greatest characters, but when you watch the film, oh it will go really wild.
  • No Game No Life - one of the few animes with outstandingly smart lead(s) plus great secondary characters.
  • Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle - copy paste what I've said about NGNL, and add the fact that it has great villains. As I assume everyone will find someone in the protagonist's group someone he/she likes.
  • Tales of Symphonia - let me introduce you to the goodness this anime is. The story is intense, and one reason I gave it -1 point because one really great character just refuses to show up for a long time (talking about
    ).
  • Simoun - You may hate the anime for what it looks like / sounds / accomplishes but you cannot deny the fact that it has some outstanding characters.
  • Umineko no Naku Koro Ni - I gave it to this anime because we have more then 2 great characters here.
And for some honourable mentions:
  • Your Lie in April - the only things it's characters lack is
  • Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu - trust me even the Endless Eight can't ruin it's characters., [spoiler]OR can it? Just watch the disappearance movie![spoiler]
  • Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch - there are good characters besides Lelouch but they get no screen time.Only Lelouch get's enough, but 1 character is really no enough totalk about geed characters.
  • Death Note - it has no good side characters, only Light and L are the two characters basically no one else has any meaning). That two are awesome though.

Mar 2015
Gintama has the best characters as they all have some running gag about them and are given development.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Jun 7, 2016 3:25 AM

Feb 2016
Gintama has the best characters ever.. then i ll put durarara and fairy tail
Jun 7, 2016 4:15 AM

Dec 2015
Too many to choose from, but all those mainstream anime have epic characters, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece etc..but overall i like Psycho Pass also. Villains are just epic, you're gonna love them, and MC is very lovable which makes this anime a perfect for someone who likes character development. :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2016 4:25 AM

Oct 2014
Almost no one is mentionning the likes of SAO,DBZ, Naruto, TG and etc? Good!

Gintama has the best one from what I have seen.
Jun 7, 2016 4:34 AM

Jan 2008
Hunter X Hunter, because there is a large cast and they are somehow all unique and varied and have great interactions together.
Pages (9) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 »

More topics from this board

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 30 minutes ago

9 by Zimmu »»
2 minutes ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 1 hour ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
3 minutes ago

» MULTIPLE UNRELATED anime that you think could be set in the same anime universe

IpreferEcchi - 17 minutes ago

1 by Nemo_Niemand »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » do you want more emotional or more intelligent anime?

deg - 2 hours ago

17 by Zettaiken »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

232 by TheMinkalex »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.