Forum Settings
Forums

How would you feel if they stopped making Moe anime and no longer focused on cute girls doing cute things?

New
May 16, 2016 4:58 PM

Nov 2011
What if this entire style was ditched and anime went back to its 80s and 90s roots and focused primarily on badass gory fighting shows with manly protagonists and philosophical cyberpunk stories? Would you still continue to watch new anime?

Edit: In this scenario anime becomes more popular than ever before.
EmperorDemonGavaMay 16, 2016 5:05 PM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 16, 2016 5:00 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
then the list of anime i watch would pretty much die by like 90% :(

and uh... what? those shows existed in the 90s as well....
May 16, 2016 5:02 PM

Oct 2014
If shounen slice of life was still being produced I would watch that (still cute, but focuses more on comedy than diabetes). If they also stopped making that then I would mainly stick to shows that had already aired.

Shoujo shows tend to be cute and I doubt they could afford to cut those out as well.
May 16, 2016 5:03 PM

Apr 2014
BD sales would plummet and Japan would implode.
May 16, 2016 5:05 PM

Aug 2015
Probably quit watching/watch a lot less. Was never a huge fan of 90's anime, and badass gory fighting shows get old.. Really fast.
May 16, 2016 5:06 PM

Nov 2011
DJAnime said:
Probably quit watching/watch a lot less. Was never a huge fan of 90's anime, and badass gory fighting shows get old.. Really fast.

But cute girls doing cute things doesn't?
May 16, 2016 5:08 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Protaku said:
BD sales would plummet and Japan would implode.

cuteness is way too gigantic a selling point in japan for that to ever happen

yep.... japan pop culture would be over lol
EcchiGodMamsterMay 16, 2016 5:12 PM
May 16, 2016 5:09 PM

Aug 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
DJAnime said:

Never said it didn't, too much of anything gets boring.

But you cant tell me you wouldn't get bored of only watching badass gory fighting shows all the time.
May 16, 2016 5:09 PM

Oct 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
DJAnime said:

How could it? There are some interesting fighting anime, but the generic ones tend to be much more boring than generic CGDCT. There are also some really interesting CGDCT so it doesn't "get old". The genre has such a simple base that it's easy to change and make very interesting while keeping the main core.
May 16, 2016 5:11 PM

Nov 2011
DJAnime said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

But you cant tell me you wouldn't get bored of only watching badass gory fighting shows all the time.

I would but not as quickly as I would Moe sol's.
May 16, 2016 5:13 PM

Nov 2011
zombie_pegasus said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

How could it? There are some interesting fighting anime, but the generic ones tend to be much more boring than generic CGDCT. There are also some really interesting CGDCT so it doesn't "get old". The genre has such a simple base that it's easy to change and make very interesting while keeping the main core.

Don't know if being serious or not. Most CGDCT's just insults my intelligence as a human being.
May 16, 2016 5:17 PM

Aug 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
DJAnime said:

Well obviously your a fan of older stuff, not everyone can like the current generation of anime.

However I don't think you've watched enough moe/sol/girls doing cute things to call them boring really (I went through your list, not sure if you've added everything you've watched). Saying that gory badass fighting should replace the current market is ridiculous, anime is growing bigger and even more popular then when it was in the 90's.
May 16, 2016 5:17 PM

Oct 2014
Waifu_Strangler said:
DJAnime said:

Shirobako, Sora no Woto, Poor Sisters Story, Baseball Girls, Yama no Susume, Gakkougurashi, Hibike Euphonium, and Non Non Biyori are all about cute girls doing cute things but they're all unique and interesting. I'm sure there's diversity in the action genre as well (historical action can be even more interesting than slice of life), but it tends to be harder to write a really good action anime than it is to write a good SoL anime, so there are less of them. If all the studios were forced to abandon their regular style and adopt the style of 90s action anime I can assure you that most of them would have a hard time adjusting and would generally do a bad job.
May 16, 2016 5:19 PM

Jan 2013
Am I the only one who would feel relieved?

weetI guess, as long as I have life, all I can do is fight with all my might.
May 16, 2016 5:19 PM

Mar 2015
watch less anime, read more manga... trends is always change, and i don't see any problem with that...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
May 16, 2016 5:26 PM

Nov 2011
DJAnime said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Well obviously your a fan of older stuff, not everyone can like the current generation of anime.

However I don't think you've watched enough moe/sol/girls doing cute things to call them boring really (I went through your list, not sure if you've added everything you've watched). Saying that gory badass fighting should replace the current market is ridiculous, anime is growing bigger and even more popular then when it was in the 90's.

I haven't added everything I've seen onto my list but I like plenty of newer anime but it's mostly stuff like the works of Yuasa that interest me now. Psychological and dementia types are strong nowadays. There's just not enough of them. That said anime is bigger now than it was in the 90s not because of cute girl shows but because of the internet and availability.
May 16, 2016 5:29 PM

Dec 2015
Moe fans would have to resort to hanging around outside schools with binoculars to get their fill of cute girls. A lot of MAL users would get arrested.
May 16, 2016 5:30 PM
Sep 2011
Eh. I avoid moe slice of life CGDCT and get all of my actual cuteness from kids shows and shoujo anime, so it wouldn't bother me none.
May 16, 2016 5:30 PM

Sep 2015
I'd become a recluse and ask God why'
May 16, 2016 5:31 PM

Mar 2016
I would be sad...
And i would never knew...

May 16, 2016 5:31 PM

Nov 2011
Bobby2Hands said:
Moe fans would have to resort to hanging around outside schools with binoculars to get their fill of cute girls. A lot of MAL users would get arrested.

I like this scenario. I hope it happens :3
May 16, 2016 5:33 PM

Nov 2008
Waifu_Strangler said:
What if this entire style was ditched and anime went back to its 80s and 90s roots and focused primarily on badass gory fighting shows with manly protagonists and philosophical cyberpunk stories? Would you still continue to watch new anime?

The profits will drop by 90%. Badass, gory, fighting shows similar to ones from the 80's and 90's don't sell anymore. This topic is a short editorial on how to destroy an industry.

May 16, 2016 5:36 PM

Nov 2011
Hoppy said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

The profits will drop by 90%. Badass, gory, fighting shows similar to ones from the 80's and 90's don't sell anymore. This topic is a short editorial on how to destroy an industry.

Do you know what the term hypothetical means?
May 16, 2016 5:36 PM

Oct 2010
Maybe that way people would acknowledge the big loss behind trying to get rid of a «genre» that is just a fan construction to group stuff that has little to do and is actually very varied aside from one or two vague generalities.
jal90May 16, 2016 5:44 PM
May 16, 2016 5:49 PM

Sep 2015
My last post wasn't good sorry everyone
May 16, 2016 5:52 PM

Nov 2011
dev-iated said:
My last post wasn't good sorry everyone

Its alright. We forgive you. Don't worry about it.
May 16, 2016 5:53 PM

Jan 2016
I think I would totally be ok with this.
May 16, 2016 5:59 PM

Nov 2011
TsundereHeart said:
How would you feel if people stopped making dumb threads implying that old anime was "so much better" than new anime

OT: idc that much. I'd probably be fine.

I would be pretty upset tbh. The world needs to have the superiority of older anime shoved in its face.
May 16, 2016 7:03 PM

Dec 2012
I honestly don't really know how many shows I've seen fit the criteria to be CGDCT (guessing not many) but it wouldnt hurt to have some Armitage IIIs and Ninja Scrolls once in a while.
May 16, 2016 7:42 PM

May 2014
I'll legitimately be happy and be able to binge anime again without fear of losing my sanity
May 16, 2016 7:47 PM

Jun 2013
Hell yeah would still watch, manly badass protagonists ftw.
May 16, 2016 8:09 PM

Jul 2012
You're not digging deep enough, clearly we have to go back to the 60s and 70s with popular slice of life shows like Sazae-san. Or if your insistent on focusing on the 90s we could focus on Shin-chan with its comedy dubs, or Chibi Maruko-chan and their massive size.

On a more serious note though if all anime was focused on action it would generally become a lot less interesting. I mean comedy is literally the largest genre by a grand margin so cutting out a subset of that and changing the industry focus is not only dumb but generally makes no sense from a market or fanbase standpoint. Also think about this logically "gory anime is the focus" we might as well translate that to "how would you like to watch black screens every season? But we know you love the overtly edgy crap so more money plz"
I mean we've come along way from back in the 90s when Cowboy Bebop was considered too graphic for some stations but when the censors come you're sure to know.
As for my personal feelings, why would I want them to take away my easygoing feel good shows? Where I can just sit back relax have a good laugh every now and again, but still get emotionally invested in the likable characters being presented.
GamerDLMMay 16, 2016 8:28 PM
May 16, 2016 8:11 PM

Sep 2015
I guess my life'd be as empty as it was before *sigh*
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

May 16, 2016 8:24 PM

Aug 2015
I wouldn't mind as long as my lolis and imoutos remain. If they stopped making them too, I'd RAGE QUIT

And I'm the kind of guy who thinks most anime before 2010 was terrible. So again, No.
May 16, 2016 8:26 PM

Dec 2012
I'd vote for Trump-kun to make anime cute again.

The very thought of ceasing cute girls doing cute things is maddening and simply laughable. OP I laugh at you. So do the lolis.
May 16, 2016 8:28 PM

Nov 2012
It wouldn't change my life because I pretty much don't watch those shows. The ones of those I do watch would've been fine without the moe shit anyway.
May 16, 2016 8:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Bobby2Hands said:

I FUCKING LOL'd

im pretty sure anime has actually has helped reduce the numbers of this this xD
May 16, 2016 8:31 PM

Nov 2011
Z-Dante said:
I wouldn't mind as long as my lolis and imoutos remain. If they stopped making them too, I'd RAGE QUIT

And I'm the kind of guy who thinks most anime before 2010 was terrible. So again, No.

You think most anime before 2010 was terrible? Wow that's just idiotic on so many levels.
May 16, 2016 8:32 PM

Nov 2011
GamerDLM said:
You're not digging deep enough, clearly we have to go back to the 60s and 70s with popular slice of life shows like Sazae-san. Or if your insistent on focusing on the 90s we could focus on Shin-chan with its comedy dubs, or Chibi Maruko-chan and their massive size.

On a more serious note though if all anime was focused on action it would generally become a lot less interesting. I mean comedy is literally the largest genre by a grand margin so cutting out a subset of that and changing the industry focus is not only dumb but generally makes no sense from a market or fanbase standpoint. Also think about this logically "gory anime is the focus" we might as well translate that to "how would you like to watch black screens every season? But we know you love the overtly edgy crap so more money plz"
I mean we've come along way from back in the 90s when Cowboy Bebop was considered too graphic for some stations but when the censors come you're sure to know.
As for my personal feelings, why would I want them to take away my easygoing feel good shows? Where I can just sit back relax have a good laugh every now and again, but still get emotionally invested in the likable characters being presented.

You took this thread way too literally.
May 16, 2016 8:43 PM

Aug 2015
Waifu_Strangler said:
You think most anime before 2010 was terrible? Wow that's just idiotic on so many levels.
That's just my another way of saying that anime since 2010 has been getting much better than the anime before 2010.
Older anime feels hilarious when compared to the post 2010 anime.

And don't forget, most of the top 100 and most popular list are made from post 2010 era

I think it's even more idiotic to think than most older anime was better than most modern anime
Z-DanteMay 16, 2016 8:47 PM
May 16, 2016 8:46 PM

Jul 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
GamerDLM said:

Because the only thing more cringeworthy than fanboying anime prior to a vague year, is randomly calling out a type of anime and setting it as a target to work as a makeshift platform to spew the blatant fanboying of retro anime.
May 16, 2016 8:57 PM

Jan 2016
I wouldn't really be able to enjoy anime as much, tbh.
May 16, 2016 9:00 PM

Feb 2015
happiest day of my life....

i want more horrors!
May 16, 2016 9:02 PM
Apr 2016
It takes all kinds to make a world. Some like dark and gritty stuff while others prefer moe.
May 16, 2016 9:24 PM

Nov 2011
GamerDLM said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Because the only thing more cringeworthy than fanboying anime prior to a vague year, is randomly calling out a type of anime and setting it as a target to work as a makeshift platform to spew the blatant fanboying of retro anime.

Again you missed the point of this thread.
May 16, 2016 9:42 PM

May 2015
we dont need shows like Pan de Peace anyway
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
May 16, 2016 9:47 PM

Jul 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
GamerDLM said:

Except what part of your original post would show anything contrary to that? Were you hoping for a circlejerk of people fawning over your hypothetical scenario where the anime industry rehashed the same exact type of cherry picked show descriptions that you laid out for 40 years? Were you hoping to get people to bash the types of shows listed in the title? Or is it just witch hunting for the fans who wouldn't want to keep watching so you can make sarcastic jabs at them?
I mean just look at a few of your last posts it's turning into a old vs new thread.
May 16, 2016 9:54 PM

Nov 2011
GamerDLM said:
Waifu_Strangler said:

Except what part of your original post would show anything contrary to that? Were you hoping for a circlejerk of people fawning over your hypothetical scenario where the anime industry rehashed the same exact type of cherry picked show descriptions that you laid out for 40 years? Were you hoping to get people to bash the types of shows listed in the title? Or is it just witch hunting for the fans who wouldn't want to keep watching so you can make sarcastic jabs at them?
I mean just look at a few of your last posts it's turning into a old vs new thread.

I made the thread because I thought it'd be interesting to see what replies id get and see if Moe culture was the only reason they watched anime. You need to chill brah.
May 16, 2016 10:14 PM

Jun 2007
I'd be like "Yay, all right, hell yeah, they stopped making new moe anime!"

May 16, 2016 10:17 PM

Oct 2014
Aassdddai said:
I honestly don't really know how many shows I've seen fit the criteria to be CGDCT (guessing not many) but it wouldnt hurt to have some Armitage IIIs and Ninja Scrolls once in a while.
The standard definition is this:
1. More than 50% of the main characters are female
2. The girls are attractive in a sister/daughter way rather than a wife/girlfriend way

Moe anime we share:
Gakkougurashi!
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (slightly more mature girl, but it still fits)
Kamisama no Memochou
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Makai Senki Disgaea
Shirobako (debatable)

You've seen at least six.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» J. Michael Tatum Appreciation Thread

APolygons2 - 8 hours ago

11 by APolygons2 »»
11 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

85 by chocomayu »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Your favourite genre with predominantly female cast?

Sanjay63773 - 9 hours ago

22 by FanofAction »»
17 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - May 2

73 by Memore »»
38 minutes ago

» Upcoming anime which might touch No.1 ranking on MAL (Prediction)

ZXEAN - Mar 27

46 by APolygons2 »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.