Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Discussion Unofficial FAQ (Work in progress)

New
May 5, 2016 2:09 AM

Nov 2009
I often hear a complaint that many questions in this subforum get asked over and over, to the annoyance of people who have been here for more than a week.

I'd like to make a list of such questions and their answers. Please use this thread to contribute questions that you feel are frequently asked, or to contribute answers that you feel would satisfy the questioners immediately. Please don't provide answers that will make the questioner want to argue against them immediately - it will defeat the purpose of this thread. Please do provide answers to the questions already answered, and feel free to add to existing answers.
I will keep this list updated with your contributions.
Maybe the mods will pin the list at the top. If not, you can at least link to it anytime instead of answering.

flannanMay 5, 2016 7:14 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
May 5, 2016 2:13 AM

Jun 2015
Eh. How about the am I doing my list wrong, is it too high/too low threads. Also, while this is a noble effort. It kinda ruins some of the liveliness of this subforum.
May 5, 2016 2:18 AM

Aug 2015
Wouldn't it be better if you linked one of those ( a good/old/official one ) threads with each of these questions?

And also include the Loli questions too. So everyone can be clear on the fact that loli ≠ pedo
May 5, 2016 2:55 AM
Feb 2014
You should also do questions about how anime is culturally different to their own thought processes.

If you need help, I can think of a few.
May 5, 2016 3:03 AM

Nov 2009
The_Nico said:
You should also do questions about how anime is culturally different to their own thought processes.

Do you mean questions like "why the protagonist doesn't have sex with any of the girls?".
Yes, please offer some, they will be useful.
May 5, 2016 3:07 AM
Feb 2014
flannan said:
The_Nico said:

Do you mean questions like "why the protagonist doesn't have sex with any of the girls?".
Yes, please offer some, they will be useful.

Yes... but that's not exactly where I'm getting at. However, that's a good question, seeing that some people here are in fact, very sexually frustrated/aggressive, and that they should not expect sex unless its in hentai; we have a genre for that.

I was thinking more or less about Slice-of-Life misconceptions. It's hard for me to phrase questions at the moment since it's late at night here, but I think the SOL genre would warrant quite a lot of things here.

You could also talk about sales and the financials of the industry, as those are always often misinterpreted as you should definitely expect cultural differences.

The industry to me is the most commonly mistaken interpretation on MAL. But most of the clear cut ignorance on MAL is the amount of SOL threads just completely void of any knowledge of what the genre particularly could mean and entail.
AqutanMay 5, 2016 3:12 AM
May 5, 2016 3:53 AM

Mar 2015
You dont have to answer the question. You can link the question to the tread. But if you want to answer the question, its fine too.
This salad is salty favored
May 5, 2016 4:11 AM

Aug 2013
_Esper_ said:
You dont have to answer the question. You can link the question to the tread. But if you want to answer the question, its fine too.

you mean ALL those treads with the same question,now i feel bad for OP
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2016 4:13 AM

Jul 2015
Damn, pretty good FAQ in the OP actually.
May 5, 2016 4:25 AM

Mar 2015
monali said:
_Esper_ said:

you mean ALL those treads with the same question,now i feel bad for OP
Not ALL. Probably one of the "hottest" tread that related with the question.
This salad is salty favored
May 5, 2016 5:09 AM

Nov 2009
_Esper_ said:

I added some recent threads, but if you can find some older and more epic ones, that would be good.

BlueBalls said:
Damn, pretty good FAQ in the OP actually.

Thank you.
May 5, 2016 5:13 AM

Jun 2012
Might as well add in a little question to your list explaining how the forum search function works on this site. Lots of pictures and cool details.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

May 5, 2016 5:16 AM

Aug 2013
Is shounen a genre? No it's a demographic.
May 5, 2016 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
You can also add the Anti-Elitist threads in here as well, and how people have the wrong preconception of the terms Elitist and Casual.

Elitist: someone who have seen lots of anime.
Casual: someone who have seen a modest number of anime.

People who think that they have better taste than you are idiots, because everyone has his own preference in anime.
May 5, 2016 5:28 AM

May 2015
DrGeroCreation said:
Is shounen a genre? No it's a demographic.

Add shojou/seinen/josei to this.

Also making a FAQ for this will probably kill this subforum and I don't want to go to casual discussion to get AIDS.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
May 5, 2016 5:38 AM

Jun 2015
Triple-A said:
You can also add the Anti-Elitist threads in here as well, and how people have the wrong preconception of the terms Elitist and Casual.

People who think that they have better taste than you are idiots, because everyone has his own preference in anime.
Triple-A said:

Pretty sure that's not it.

elitist: someone who thinks others taste in anime are shit

casual: someone who praises select anime/genre too much
May 5, 2016 5:39 AM

Apr 2015
Why are otakus/weeaboos hated?/Is being one bad? threads and their variations maybe

I notice quite a lot of them
May 5, 2016 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
mouvite said:
But.. elitist is someone who thinks he's superior and calls others plebs with shit taste.

BeBackinaSec said:
Pretty sure that's not it.

elitist: someone who thinks others taste in anime are shit

casual: someone who praises select anime/genre too much

That's why I said people always have this wrong preconception of those two terms.
May 5, 2016 5:48 AM

Dec 2014
The FAQ actually isn't bad. Good job, OP.
May 5, 2016 6:56 AM

Aug 2015
@flannan , for some reason I don't think the example given with the loli question goes quite right. Some proper example would be like these:

And you might want to take that quote from Cyrus here.
Also it is nowhere stated that loli lovers here = lolicons.
Definition of lolis:
Childlike character with innocent characteristics. May or may not be actually of child age, and very often isn't.
We celebrates the awesomeness of lolis. This DOES NOT mean we're pedophiles (a horribly common misconception). It is a sad thing in today's society that loving "children" is automatically linked to pedophilia...but instead here we simply appreciate the beauty of childhood innocence, kinda like Catcher in the Rye.
Z-DanteMay 5, 2016 7:03 AM
May 5, 2016 7:16 AM

Nov 2009
Z-Dante said:
@flannan , for some reason I don't think the example given with the loli question goes quite right. Some proper example would be like these:

And you might want to take that quote from Cyrus here.
Also it is nowhere stated that loli lovers here = lolicons.

Thank you for the links and the quote, I added them.
Also I added a note in the definition of lolis that we're talking about apparent age.
May 5, 2016 7:20 AM

Mar 2014
Don't forget to add all them elitist related questions to the list
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 5, 2016 8:10 AM
Oct 2014
Just an idea I had:

You might include a list of definitions of a few common anime terms, such as waifu, otaku, and the various -deres and -cons. Perhaps an explanation of the major genres. I've been watching anime for a couple of years now, and when I came to MAL there were still some terms being used in the community I didn't recognize.

Or maybe that should be its own thread.
May 5, 2016 8:17 AM

Dec 2012
Kudos for making efforts to offer solutions.

I would like however topics about the industry and financial data to be either linked only or remain in their respective boards. Instead, discussing industry basic terms, trivia, or forum/jargon might be more helpful in this board.

For example, the fact that users read manga on-line doesn't make a manga series "a web comic" (unless it is specifically published as a web comic).
May 5, 2016 8:18 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
now if only this can be pinned somewhere on the forums where people can see it

so we can stop seeing the same questions asked everyday

some of these questions have probably been asked 15+ times in a one month period.. its getting quite annoying lol
May 5, 2016 8:22 AM

Nov 2015
Z-Dante said:
Wouldn't it be better if you linked one of those ( a good/old/official one ) threads with each of these questions?

And also include the Loli questions too. So everyone can be clear on the fact that loli ≠ pedo

No leave the lolis be.
Comic_Sans said:
Don't forget to add all them elitist related questions to the list

No let the elitists be
Holybaptiser said:
Might as well add in a little question to your list explaining how the forum search function works on this site. Lots of pictures and cool details.

Yes please.
Probably increase the font. That might help.
That belongs in the suggestions thread imo..

If you ask me all those 'what got you into anime','best OST/OP/ED' & 'what was your first anime?' questions need to go. You can't include that in your FAQ, I don't think..
May 5, 2016 8:23 AM

Jul 2014
How about:

Does ______ (art/plot/popularity/fan-base)affect your anime rating?

Answer: Yes.
May 5, 2016 8:29 AM

Mar 2014
GesuYarou said:
No let the elitists be
I'm not talking about the elitists themselves

I'm talking about the self proclaimed elitist hunters who have been pestering anime discussion for months now

Examples:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1464066
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1388123
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1481091
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 5, 2016 8:37 AM

Nov 2015
Comic_Sans said:
GesuYarou said:
No let the elitists be

I'm talking about the self proclaimed elitist hunters who have been pestering anime discussion for months now

Examples:

I'd say the more straight up elitist threads that say stuff like "W++Y AR3 3L!T!STS 5O 5T00P!D?" can be included but the third one was actually pretty okay in my book.

But still how are you gonna answer those in an FAQ?
"Elitist suck because they have no lives but they need something to feel better about themselves"?

I'm not saying that this FAQ shouldn't happen but it faces a whole lot of challenges and it won't be that easy..
May 5, 2016 8:44 AM

Mar 2008
This seems well intentioned and all, but I don't think the 'questions' posed so far really need dictated answers.
May 5, 2016 9:00 AM

Mar 2014
GesuYarou said:
Comic_Sans said:

Examples:

I'd say the more straight up elitist threads that say stuff like "W++Y AR3 3L!T!STS 5O 5T00P!D?" can be included but the third one was actually pretty okay in my book.

But still how are you gonna answer those in an FAQ?
"Elitist suck because they have no lives but they need something to feel better about themselves"?

I'm not saying that this FAQ shouldn't happen but it faces a whole lot of challenges and it won't be that easy..
Answer "Elitists = not necessarily stupid, some of them are huge douches though" or whatever floats your boat
Nico- said:
May 5, 2016 9:06 AM

Nov 2015
Also another concern is that how can you be so sure that new users will always click on this FAQ before posting on AD?

I mean you do have that 'Identifying this anime/character' threads but that doesn't stop new users from posting such threads..
May 5, 2016 9:23 AM
Jul 2018
kamisama751 said:
A suggestion: Show the real definition of "elitist" and "casual".
Elitist: Somene who looks down on a certain group of people, is an altitude problem and has nothingg to do with taste or anime at all.
Here are some sources:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elitism
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/elitist
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=elitist
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/elitist

Casual: carefree, don't do much effort for something
sources:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/casual
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/casual
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/casual

Good job, you really defined the term Elitist & Casual. However that's not what I was going for when I said what I said.

You see when I defined the term Elitist & Casual I resembled them of a Veteran in anime & a Someone who is relatively new to anime respectively, the reason I did this is because most people in this forum tend to correlate these veterans and their preference of anime with the other so called "Elitist" which may have caused the wrongful use of this term.

Though I may have phrased it the wrong way.
May 5, 2016 11:12 AM

Sep 2011
So, this isn't a discussion topic, and it's more of a topic that would need to be sticky. I already asked a higher-up mod and they said we can't sticky more threads or the rules and identification thread will be even less visible than they already are (And people still miss these nowadays). Not only this, but if the OP loses interest in this later on, only the mods can edit the OP, and we're busy as it is.

For the most things, people can already use the search function. People who create threads that're duplicates obviously never used the search function. I can find topics 100% of the time on topics that people make, yet they tell me the same old story.

You're free to make a blog post or use your profile about me for this and use a link in your signature to show it, but we can't allow a thread of it.

Thread Locked
TyrelMay 5, 2016 11:15 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» What exactly are the perks of having waifu?

SgtBateMan - 6 hours ago

24 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
13 seconds ago

» who was your first/best anime waifu?

Coldsp33d - 5 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
9 minutes ago

» How much anime is too much

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

27 by Nurguburu »»
12 minutes ago

» How would you describe modern mainstream anime?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

42 by PPL_CaLL_Me_DUDE »»
13 minutes ago

» When is an anime too long or too short for you?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

24 by APolygons2 »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.