Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 8, 2016 1:23 PM

Jun 2015
Classical music is pretty much ignored nowadays, people like Justin bieber and Katy Perry are much popular than Beethoven or Rachmaninoff ever were or ever will be. But classical music is miles ahead of a lot of garbage we have these days.
Pieces of true musical geniuses such as Mozart are incredibly strong emotionally, making one feel a variety of often overwhelming emotions.
Many pieces are truly beautiful.

In my opinion, classical music is the epitomy of what music should be, something to inspire speculation, swell chests, awaken latent emotions and memories, not some crap like whip nae nae to get your hands on cash.

What do you think? Is classical music the purest form of music? Will we ever see music be performed for the sake of art, not for money? Is classical music dying? And if so, what can we do to bring back interest into this genre?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 8, 2016 3:36 PM

Oct 2015
My favorite genre is classic rock but I find classical music okay. I'd rather listen to classical music over Justin Bieber any day.
MattKitsune96Mar 11, 2016 12:21 PM
Mar 8, 2016 3:51 PM

Mar 2015
Of course, classical music is rad.
Mar 8, 2016 4:59 PM
Jul 2015
is my favorite music genre, classic music always give me chills.
i even been in an orchestra once, is beautiful i dont know how people nowadays don't like it.
But i dont give shits about beethoven or mozart, i just listen not caring who composed it.
Mar 8, 2016 6:00 PM

Jan 2015
I have a respect for classical artists and their talent(especially since they're the granddaddy's of metal) but I don't listen to music from the classical period. I do, however, like instrumentals, film scores, etc. because even though their progressions are apparently "cliched" (I assume its like the four chords but applied to an orchestra) I find them very beautiful and relaxing/mood-setting.

I also enjoy Epic theater music machines like Two Steps from Hell, etc.
the40ftbadger said:
i have palpable amounts of salt for FO4.
It's like a clown put on my dead dad's clothes and is running around my house going "LOOK I'M YOUR DAD, ISN'T THIS FUN?!?!"

Mar 8, 2016 6:38 PM

Nov 2011
I respect classical music especially Bach but its not something I can generally get into. I think it's unfair to say any specific type of music is the epitome of what music should be.
Mar 8, 2016 6:40 PM

Jan 2014
Classical music is (some of) the best music.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Mar 8, 2016 7:44 PM

Nov 2015
I love classical music. It's a shame more people don't, seems to be dying in our generation. Every now and again I meet someone else who likes it but most of the time I mention it people look at me like I'm the weird one lol.. Why though? It's definitely one of the best genres of music. Such power for songs that for the most part have no words... only a piano, violin etc. I like it so much that shows that have music centered around it automatically make it a little better for me. This and Jazz music are perhaps my favorite genres
Mar 8, 2016 8:02 PM

Feb 2015
i honestly, authentically, 100% belive that the title should say who DOESN'T like classical music?
Mar 8, 2016 8:39 PM

Jan 2016
I still new to the genre of classical music but I must say I've taken a strong liking to it. What I have often noticed is that a piece of classical music manages to invoke some kind of strong emotion in me.

For example, Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata easily comes off to me as something mournful, as if the composer is lamenting over something. His Spring Sonata makes me feel cheerful, hopeful, and at peace. His Sonata Pathetique invokes a nostalgic feeling.
May 7, 2016 11:32 AM

Jan 2016
Not the most avid listener of classical music, but it's good on its own merits.
May 7, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2015
My dad listens to them most of the time, so I guess it has become an acquired taste. Although indie is still my favourite genre.
May 7, 2016 4:51 PM

Apr 2015
I listen most of the time to rock and metal but I can also enjoy classical music!
May 7, 2016 11:22 PM

Dec 2013
I have an odd relationship with Classical music. A lot of my favorite music was inspired by it and I have found some througly amazing musicians who are classified as classical (Namely, Morton Feldman and Arnold Schoenberg, who's work I fucking love), I think it has some of the best music in the world under its belt, and yet I just don't ever find myself interested in listening to the genre outside of those dudes (And maybe something like Henry Cowell or Francisco Guerrero) at all, I just don't ever feel the need to seek out more or adquire any real interest in something classified as that.

This is all modern classical though - Traditional classical... Well I'm basically the same except I don't have anyone I ever feel like listening to, it mostly pales in comparison imo.
May 8, 2016 1:10 AM
Feb 2016
I usually listen to it while I'm studying, helps me focus
May 8, 2016 3:12 AM

Apr 2016
Yes, I have a deep love for classical, romance, baroque and whatnot. I have to say my favorite composers, so far, is Beethoven, Johann Strauss, Pyotr Tchaikovsky, Antonín Dvořák, Antonio Vivaldi, and Johann Bach. Johannes Brahms is also really good (Symphony No 4 in E minor is fantastic).

"Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."
May 8, 2016 3:40 AM

Jul 2014
It's my go-to (/one of my favorites) music genres because it relaxes me and doesn't grate my ears.
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
May 8, 2016 4:09 AM

Jul 2015
It's not something I dig particularly. Tho I really like 19th-early 20th century composers like Edvard Grieg, Debussy, Saint-Saëns, blablabla.
May 8, 2016 4:16 AM
Jul 2018
Is classical music dying?
It's very popular among older people, and I think it's gonna stay that way. So no, it's not dying, it's just that the demographic isn't the pop culture.
May 8, 2016 4:17 AM

Apr 2014
Some of it's alright, though I'm just extremely picky with all genres. I can say I like a band, but I'll only really listen and own some of their tracks. Same with classical. I think some I can listen to all the time.
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
May 8, 2016 8:11 AM

Apr 2015
I can somewhat enjoy classical music, but it's not something I ever voluntarily listen to.

Epistemophilic said:
In my opinion, classical music is the epitomy of what music should be, something to inspire speculation, swell chests, awaken latent emotions and memories, not some crap like whip nae nae to get your hands on cash.

I'm not one to typically argue how "Music is subjective" and whatnot, but in this case it really is. You can't generalize that certain genres make everyone feel a certain way. If listening to classical music makes you feel that way, then that's great, but for another person, it might take a different kind of music to evoke that same response.
chizzlezMay 8, 2016 8:17 AM
May 8, 2016 8:13 AM
Jul 2018
I simply love classical music. It's great for studying and keeps my mind from going astray.
May 8, 2016 8:26 AM
Jul 2018
I don't listen to it often but sure, I like it. It can help me relax.
May 8, 2016 11:02 AM
Sep 2012
RedRoseFring said:

Most of. If you disagree then you haven't done enough listening.

OP: Rachmaninoff and Beethoven are hardly examples of neglected music. People still write PhDs and program a plethora of Beethoven's music as they have for over 200 years. Music like Katy Perry of Justin Bieber maybe the mainstream now, but they won't be remembered as they are now several decades from now. Not because it's bad music (that would be my opinion), but because classical music possesses something that most genres in Western music do not, which is: pedagogic tradition. It's a big reason why kids who have never stepped foot in the Western world study Western classical music.

I don't think you should worry about Beethoven and Rachmaninoff losing their relevance any time soon.
May 8, 2016 12:43 PM
Jan 2016
Classical is amazing.

Beethoven, Puccini, Debussy, Ravel, Bach, Liszt are a few of my favorites.

I love having a smoke or drinking tea to classical music. Chill vibes, fancy feels and procures a good meditative state of mind.

Beethoven - moonlight sonata 3rd mov.

Puccini - madam butterfly , babbino caro.

Debussy - beau Soir, claire de lune.

Ravel - piano in G, M 2

Bach -all of overture suite 1 and 2

Listz -Les Jeux D'eau

Definitely suggest all of the above, pretty much all of it is laid back stuff.
May 8, 2016 2:29 PM

Jan 2014
Mendelssohn said:
RedRoseFring said:

OP: Rachmaninoff and Beethoven are hardly examples of neglected music. People still write PhDs and program a plethora of Beethoven's music as they have for over 200 years. Music like Katy Perry of Justin Bieber maybe the mainstream now, but they won't be remembered as they are now several decades from now. Not because it's bad music (that would be my opinion), but because classical music possesses something that most genres in Western music do not, which is: pedagogic tradition. It's a big reason why kids who have never stepped foot in the Western world study Western classical music.

I don't think you should worry about Beethoven and Rachmaninoff losing their relevance any time soon.

No. Music has had many eras for just a single one to comprise the best of it. Even from the Medieval era (which has its gems, believe or not). Renaissance, Baroque, Contemporary, and all the different genres those entail.

Music is far too grand to be restricted to a box.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 8, 2016 3:21 PM
May 2016
MattKitsune96 said:
My favorite genre is classic rock but I find classical music okay. I'd rather listen to classical music over Justin Bieber any day.

^^ This

I don't hate classical but I prefer other genres a bit more. As someone who plays classical-you'd think I'd love it to death, but I do like other music better.
But yeah. I'd rather listen to it then most of modern American pop.
What is the question of if one lives to watch anime or if one watches anime to live?
They both mean that anime controls most of your life.

(Made this just to have a signature)
May 8, 2016 4:36 PM

Jul 2012
RedRoseFring said:

I like classical, I also like Classical.
I dont listen to much, mostly late 1890s, mid 1900s stuff.
May 8, 2016 8:54 PM

Apr 2015
_JAD said:
MattKitsune96 said:

^^ This

I don't hate classical but I prefer other genres a bit more. As someone who plays classical-you'd think I'd love it to death, but I do like other music better.

Wait, why do you play classical if you like other stuff better?
May 9, 2016 7:13 AM
Sep 2012
RedRoseFring said:
Mendelssohn said:

No. Music has had many eras for just a single one to comprise the best of it. Even from the Medieval era (which has its gems, believe or not). Renaissance, Baroque, Contemporary, and all the different genres those entail.

I was being funny.
May 9, 2016 7:16 AM

Feb 2015
Just give me a find cozy place and an oboe concerto of Vivaldi and Albinoni my life is complete. Debussy, Rachmaninoff and Liszt for some piano solos.

Classical music remain superior when watching musical plays and operas. I'd wish I can watch Die Walkure of Wagner.

If I need to enervate my energy, I listen to metal. Just simple.
JomsMay 9, 2016 7:19 AM
May 9, 2016 12:20 PM

Jan 2014
Mendelssohn said:
RedRoseFring said:

I was being funny.

Sorry, I must have been in a serious mood.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
May 9, 2016 12:23 PM

Sep 2006
Well... I like Pachelbel. That's all.
May 9, 2016 4:26 PM
May 2016
Blahkabelison said:
_JAD said:

^^ This

Wait, why do you play classical if you like other stuff better?

I'm a violinist. I like classical, and that's what the majority of my pieces are-I'm still taking lessons man XD
I do like to fiddle though. Fiddling is very fun.

But besides that, I don't like jazz TO DEATH but I still like it enough to enjoy playing it-it's like that.
What is the question of if one lives to watch anime or if one watches anime to live?
They both mean that anime controls most of your life.

(Made this just to have a signature)
May 10, 2016 10:27 AM

Mar 2008
Baroque is better. Suck it Classical.
May 10, 2016 10:28 AM

Jul 2007
Yes, especially when I need to study or relax.
Mozart is amazing, I could listen to Requiem all day<3

I love Tchaikovsky too.

The romantic period is just too much fun, so much DRAMA.
May 10, 2016 10:31 AM
Mar 2012
yeah classical music is beautiful.
May 13, 2016 10:19 AM

Apr 2010
Classical music is different from Romantic music in that Classical is somewhat predictable. If you look at a piece of sheet music from the Classical era you will see that everything is uniform. Much like Newton's Laws, there is an equal and opposite pull and push to the notes. When the notes climb up, they also climb down like a hill, or they are repeated at another point in the song, like a call back or an echo or a "remember this from the beginning? Look at what I'm doing to it now in the finale".

Romantic music like Beethoven is unpredictable and more emotional and *not* uniform. His 5th Symphony -- Dundun dun DUN--is almost top-heavy to the ears, the notes quickly running as fast as it can on tiny Corgi legs before falling off the porch step.

Anyway, Classical music, so stuff that people in the 1700s-1800s did is what I assume y'all are referring to, is all well and good with me if it's 1) A very famous piece, or 2) Has vocals. Otherwise I'm not interested. I get antsy when I listen to this particular style of music because it doesn't touch me like it probably did its original audience. I need to do something with the music, whether it's tap out a beat or sing--I prefer to sing, which is why I prefer to listen to pieces that were made for church services instead of strictly being an orchestral performance.

Things To Keep In Mind:
  • You shut your mouth when you're talking to me.
  • My thirst for anything humanoid (and legal) cannot be contained.
May 15, 2016 11:17 AM

Sep 2013
Classical music, in the broad sense, has always been a favorite of mine. As a young child, I discovered it simply by playing records that my mother happened to have around the house. Once she realized that I was interested in it, she started taking me to concerts and bought a few more records.

Since then, I have come to appreciate the complexity of the music and the wide variety of styles. I like music from every time period, from the early middle ages to the present day. Given the wide variety, there is something to suit every mood.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
May 15, 2016 11:37 AM

Apr 2014
Epistemophilic said:
Classical music is pretty much ignored nowadays, people like Justin bieber and Katy Perry are much popular than Beethoven or Rachmaninoff ever were or ever will be. But classical music is miles ahead of a lot of garbage we have these days.
Pieces of true musical geniuses such as Mozart are incredibly strong emotionally, making one feel a variety of often overwhelming emotions.
Many pieces are truly beautiful.

What do you think? Is classical music the purest form of music? Will we ever see music be performed for the sake of art, not for money? Is classical music dying? And if so, what can we do to bring back interest into this genre?

I pretty much like all kinds of music but classical is really good too.

As for classical music dying I think you really only see countries like japan and korea still making most of it and I'm glad someone is.
May 15, 2016 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
WeirdHeather said:
Since then, I have come to appreciate the complexity of the music and the wide variety of styles. I like music from every time period, from the early middle ages to the present day. Given the wide variety, there is something to suit every mood.

Can you recommend some contemporary classical composer, then ?
I've been a lot into Guillaume Connesson's (someone apparently quite inspired by the minimalist side of contemporary classical, especially Nonesuch Records artists such as John Adams) works lately, and it makes me want to know more contemporary classical artists.

I'm also discovering Ned Rorem, and I absolutely enjoy it.

May 15, 2016 12:31 PM

Jun 2015
Mendelssohn said:
RedRoseFring said:

I didn't mean it like that, what I meant to say was that the average person doesn't even know who someone like Rachmaninoff is. Of course his legacy will be preserved, but only by a select few.
May 15, 2016 12:58 PM

Jun 2013
Yep Classical music is one of my favourite genres along with edm...
May 15, 2016 6:07 PM
Sep 2012
Cartox said:
WeirdHeather said:

Can you recommend some contemporary classical composer, then ?
I've been a lot into Guillaume Connesson's (someone apparently quite inspired by the minimalist side of contemporary classical, especially Nonesuch Records artists such as John Adams) works lately, and it makes me want to know more contemporary classical artists.

I'm also discovering Ned Rorem, and I absolutely enjoy it.

May 15, 2016 6:10 PM
Jul 2018
Yesss but not until I rewatched a certain Korean drama, 시크릿 가든. Though I'm not knowledgable on some of them, I still like listening to classical music. My favorite is Chopin's Op. 9 No. 2. ♥
May 15, 2016 9:10 PM
Jul 2018

Mesmerizing, some of these variations sound very American and jazzy. Love how it can sound modernist in some variations, but also very respectful of the past in more than one way (through the melodic and harmonic language, most notably) in some other variations.
A bit long for my taste though, but this is still an incredible body of work overall and I like it a lot, thank you!
May 15, 2016 9:34 PM

Apr 2016
I prefer rock, but classical music really relaxes me, as a writer, I find I write best while listening to more...intense classical but I also suffer from insomnia so listening to a soothing piano concerto makes all my troubles melt away... I'm really obsessed with listening to Yiruma on youtube, go on look him up he's amazing! I also enjoy listening to Daniel Jang's violin covers of popular songs he does Imagine Dragon's Radioactive like a badass!
PartypopperrulezMay 15, 2016 10:27 PM
May 16, 2016 8:14 AM

Apr 2015
I don't listen to classical music as a whole, but I listen to some classical songs.

Same with pretty much all genres for me. Metal, pop, electro, reggae.
May 16, 2016 10:08 AM

Nov 2015
I listen to symphonic metal. Does that count?
May 31, 2016 8:50 AM

Feb 2016
your lie in april, hyouka, and zetsuen tempest makes me loves the classical music.
currently listening to die fledermaus, who was composed by johann strauss. bit remind me of tom and jerry (MGM version)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» godzilla minus one is one of the best sci-fi movie ever made!!11!!1

FruitPunchBaka - May 7

3 by TheMechaManiac »»
4 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7670 by 3miL »»
5 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3428 by 3miL »»
10 hours ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now

tsukareru - Apr 26

38 by scarydragon »»
Today, 5:12 AM

Poll: » share your latest song/album purchases

DreamingBeats - Nov 3, 2023

40 by SnipeStrike »»
Yesterday, 4:52 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.