Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 4, 2016 9:30 PM

Apr 2014
Hello MAL. In honor of Valentine's Day, I wanted to make a thread dealing with a subject pretty unique to MAL. And that is the high amount of "couples" seeming to start here.

Why do you think this is? What makes MAL such a weird place that a lot of these things start here? Have you ever tried it? What do you think about it? Would you ever?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 4, 2016 9:31 PM

Aug 2014
Am like the only guy from my country browsing Mal :V

Feb 4, 2016 9:33 PM

Jul 2015
It's you, OP. Everyone wants to be with you, it's every MAL'ers Valentine dream.
Feb 4, 2016 9:34 PM

Apr 2014
Here-Hear said:
It's you, OP. Everyone wants to be with you, it's every MAL'ers Valentine dream.

What do you mean by this

I don't understand
Feb 4, 2016 9:36 PM

Dec 2015
Damn Op. Look at you being popular with the ladies
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 4, 2016 9:37 PM

Aug 2014
I guess connections can happen anywhere like minded people meet. Personally, I suck at relationships since I'm kind of a bitch and would probably not date anyone here, though I haven't met many users.

How many couples on here have actually met up offline?
Feb 4, 2016 9:42 PM

Apr 2014
Muglius said:
I guess connections can happen anywhere like minded people meet. Personally, I suck at relationships since I'm kind of a bitch and would probably not date anyone here, though I haven't met many users.

Hi my names Dave. How you doing bbygurl?

RedTie said:
I don't know, it just does. They may frequent the forums, start talking and things take off from there. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as they don't parade it around.

True. But many really don't last long to be honest. And many don't ever really get to a real point of meeting. So it seems really odd so many start but almost none make it.
Feb 4, 2016 9:42 PM

Jun 2015
Jayden x @Protaku.

The ships have set sail!
Feb 4, 2016 9:44 PM

Apr 2012
twerk for me on valentines day dave bby

Feb 4, 2016 9:44 PM

Feb 2015
How is it "unique" to MAL?I am curious.
Feb 4, 2016 9:45 PM

Apr 2014
laidellent said:
How is it "unique" to MAL?I am curious.

Compared to other online communities its pretty often here from what I've witnessed. Maybe unique was the wrong word.

KonaKoffee4 said:
Damn Op. Look at you being popular with the ladies

I don't want to be popular with the ladies

I only want to be popular with you

>////<
Feb 4, 2016 9:52 PM

Sep 2014
cause said:
the high amount of "couples" seeming to start here.

Why do you think this is? What makes MAL such a weird place that a lot of these things start here? Have you ever tried it? What do you think about it? Would you ever?

Does love actually make any sense? There's people sexually attracted to animals, cars, and just about anything you could think off. As for MAL, I think it's just the starting point for a possible couple to get together. Maybe the two people in question probably both like Yaoi, Yuri, Hentai, or whatever peeked their interest. If the two become good friends they eventually feel comfortable talking about other stuff not anime related, and then becoming comfortable sharing personal stories with one another. Maybe I'll tell my hypothetical other significant other about how I like kicking babies in my free time, and then she'll share a story about the time she hid a dead body.

The question for why it's weird is obvious. Imagine how weird it would be just meet someone on MAL who's intention is simply to date someone. Also, is this really the site you want to use to find your significant other? It's just odd when their websites, and services specifically created for dating.

I haven't tried online dating let alone use MAL for it. On MAL, I'm fine talking to people about random stuff. If I did wanted to date someone on my friendlist on MAL I would have to make sure they are female. Allot of users on here either use an fictional character, or some kind celebrity for a profile pic who has no correlation to the person's gender. I also have friends who don't put their gender on their profile so they could be anything. Their could be a highly intelligent Panda on the other end of my laptop screen attempting to seduce me.

Now I'm okay with other people using MAL to find their significant love one. So long it doesn't result in anything seriously negative, or someone pushing me to do the same thing. Oh and also, if they don't shove it in my face they have a boyfriend/girlfriend. Other than that, I honestly don't care how people find their possible significant other.
Feb 4, 2016 10:24 PM

Mar 2015
MAL is a dating site, it's only natural that people will start relationships here.
Feb 4, 2016 10:55 PM

May 2015
Tbh I would much rather date a girl from here than one who doesn't like anime and stuff.
Feb 4, 2016 11:01 PM
Feb 2014
I'm all for relationships forming here, I think it's nice that people get to meet others with common interests if they can't find someone in their real lives.

Howevs, I kind of would appreciate if they got to meet each other personally a few times rather than just be held back forever.

Honestly, this is somewhat of a good start of the threads that are to come. I can't wait for the wave of beta rage.
Feb 4, 2016 11:06 PM

Sep 2015
3 girlfriends ago I was with someone I met on MAL. I wasn't really active on this site then, but we met somehow through MAL. She was pretty amazing for the most part. It lasted a long time, years.

Then we decided to meet. All hell broke loose. If I could take it all back I would.

Don't be Dusk, don't fall victim to online relationships.

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server
Feb 4, 2016 11:14 PM

Jan 2016
If someone finds that special connection with someone on here and form a relationship, good on them. After all, I'm sure they're quite a fair few people that struggle to connect with people in the open world.
Feb 4, 2016 11:15 PM

Jan 2016
I can imagine why people might date here-- sometimes its hard to find someone within your circle of friends that actually likes anime...all the boys I know either say they don't watch anime or "they did as a kid, but then they grew up"
Feb 4, 2016 11:16 PM

Jun 2015
I guess people can meet anywhere, I don't know. I find the idea better than meeting someone randomly at a bar or something. Well, that is if they just happened to meet someone here and kicked off. If they joined for that reason, that would be interesting.

I honestly didn't know it was that common of a thing but you do see everyone talk like it is.
I wouldn't do it but I also don't really desire a relationship.

Zeally said:

No, he already told me he would for me..
while wearing pink cat ears...
;)
codyFeb 4, 2016 11:22 PM

Feb 4, 2016 11:19 PM

Mar 2015
My romantic life would have to be irretrievably hopeless when I decide to resort to online dating.
Feb 4, 2016 11:25 PM

Apr 2012
codephat said:

Zeally said:

;)

wow is that why he ignored me
what a ho

Feb 4, 2016 11:35 PM

Jul 2014
Dusk said:
3 girlfriends ago I was with someone I met on MAL. I wasn't really active on this site then, but we met somehow through MAL. She was pretty amazing for the most part. It lasted a long time, years.

Then we decided to meet. All hell broke loose. If I could take it all back I would.

You can't leave it to only that. Story time! Hehe.
Feb 4, 2016 11:37 PM

Sep 2015
Claire said:
Dusk said:

You can't leave it to only that. Story time! Hehe.
No can do fam, sorry. This is a story I'll keep locked away forever. :x

ask for discord server
Feb 4, 2016 11:37 PM

Jun 2015
Zeally said:
codephat said:

;)

wow is that why he ignored me
what a ho

No worries, I'll send plenty of pictures. <3

Feb 4, 2016 11:56 PM

Apr 2014
Dusk said:

I had the same experience with a girl I met on a game back in my late teens. Honestly it was amazing that I found someone I clicked so much with. And to be honest I haven't met a girl that has really made me feel that way since.

We really hit it off great. And we even met a few times. But eventually the distance and reality started to grind on her. And she eventually just gave up.

But I still don't think too cynically about it. If people can make it work, they can make it work. It's just that it does take a lot of effort and dedication.
Feb 4, 2016 11:59 PM

Dec 2013
there are MAL couples around? damn I feel like a frog in the well
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Feb 5, 2016 12:18 AM

Sep 2015
cause said:
I had the same experience with a girl I met on a game back in my late teens. Honestly it was amazing that I found someone I clicked so much with. And to be honest I haven't met a girl that has really made me feel that way since.

We really hit it off great. And we even met a few times. But eventually the distance and reality started to grind on her. And she eventually just gave up.

But I still don't think too cynically about it. If people can make it work, they can make it work. It's just that it does take a lot of effort and dedication.
Don't get me wrong, I know some great examples of successful online relationships, hell I was born because of one, lol. But my experience with dating online has been more than just a simple inability to make things work, this relationship in particular turned into a nightmare. I personally find online relationships to be consistently more stressful than intimate physical relationships in real life, but who knows, maybe I just haven't found the right interwebz girl yet.

ask for discord server
Feb 5, 2016 12:20 AM

May 2015
Because people who watch anime don't talk to people in real life.
Feb 5, 2016 12:25 AM
Jul 2018
Meanwhile, I only have myself and me repugnant husbandos
Feb 5, 2016 12:31 AM

Jan 2016
Ah... this is a thing, also? The more I know.
Feb 5, 2016 12:45 AM

Dec 2013
I would think it starts with similar interests, like most relationships. I mean, the fact that we're all here already means that we all probably like anime/manga to some extent.

Never tried online dating; I'm open to the idea for the most part, but chances are it'd be a long-distance thing that I don't think I'd be able to maintain. I tip my hat to those with successful interweb relationships.
Feb 5, 2016 1:12 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah,I would totally date myself,so I am all for it.
Feb 5, 2016 2:36 AM

Jan 2014
Are there that many romances starting here? Hmmm... I thought those rumors were like those, what do you call them, urban legends?
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Feb 5, 2016 3:37 AM

Jul 2015
What? Never seen relationships start on here..
Feb 5, 2016 3:45 AM

Feb 2013
MAL is full of single nerds that cant find real bf or gf so instead they search here and since they feel alone they end up datin or whatev, full nerd Love <3

Theres also the ones that since they cant find real gf they hate on every female blaming on them everything that happens to them, like Incisorr.

Feb 5, 2016 5:05 AM

Apr 2014
badwolf45f said:
MAL is full of single nerds that cant find real bf or gf so instead they search here and since they feel alone they end up datin or whatev, full nerd Love <3

Theres also the ones that since they cant find real gf they hate on every female blaming on them everything that happens to them, like Incisorr.

Damn.

I feel like I walked into a movie theater

Cuz that's some cinematic projection

I'll be your cutie bf if you're that bitter and angry <3.

Dusk said:
I personally find online relationships to be consistently more stressful than intimate physical relationships in real life, but who knows, maybe I just haven't found the right interwebz girl yet.

Oh it definitely is. It requires a lot of trust and commitment. I would say the only real difference is that the internet started relationships, if you want them to work out, require more sacrifice. Other then that, there really isn't that much difference.
Feb 5, 2016 5:11 AM

Jun 2012
It happen frequently on other sites and forums too believe me lol.

MAL because people who go on MAL are desperate for a waifu ofc! :D
Feb 5, 2016 5:19 AM

Jan 2016
Cebix said:
It happen frequently on other sites and forums too believe me lol.

MAL because people who go on MAL are desperate for a waifu ofc! :D

The term "waifu" only belongs on 2D, it has no place in 3d. xD
Feb 5, 2016 5:42 AM

Apr 2014
My post count may not be as high as other users, but I still frequent the forums and I haven't really seen anybody get into relationships / parade it around on here.

I'm not necessarily dismissing it and saying it doesn't happen however.
Tonight, Synklare joins the hunt.
Feb 5, 2016 6:15 AM

Dec 2014
MAL dating actually is a thing? Well, I don't think I would ever do it since I'm not interested in dating.
codephat said:
Zeally said:

;)
RECORD IT AND SEND IT TO ME
Feb 5, 2016 6:27 AM

Jul 2015
mal couples is like cancer times two.
yikes!!!
Feb 5, 2016 6:44 AM

Jul 2014
Cat said:
mal couples is like cancer times two.
yikes!!!
My sister plays this game called fantage and she meets her "boyfriends" there. That is tru cancer my friend.
Feb 5, 2016 6:52 AM

May 2015
I don't think it's that easy OP. If couples really start here I have no knowledge of it.

TFW no weeaboo gf
Feb 5, 2016 6:54 AM

Jun 2014
Jayden said:
Jayden x @Protaku.

The ships have set sail!
That's a quality MAL ship. I approve!
Feb 5, 2016 7:13 AM

Jul 2013
I was as surprised as anyone to find out it was actually a thing. Oh well, nothing really major.
Feb 5, 2016 7:54 AM

Oct 2012
I've only seen one couple here. I guess I'm missing a lot.
Online relationship wasn't a good experience for me. It's great for people who could work it out though.
Feb 5, 2016 8:05 AM

Apr 2011
cumshotz said:
...dating?

never heard of that anime.

:D I've seen you make that exact same comment on EVERY single one of these threads that mention dating lol
Feb 5, 2016 8:38 AM

Dec 2015
Fintan said:
cumshotz said:
...dating?

never heard of that anime.

:D I've seen you make that exact same comment on EVERY single one of these threads that mention dating lol

Lol each time I see it it's still funny.
Banner credit to @turnip
Feb 5, 2016 11:09 AM

May 2014
IN NEED OF ONLINE GIRLFRIEND

must send me nudes before we meet
anime compatibility must be 90% and above
must have mushishi, ping pong, tatami galaxy, and LoGH in favorites

gettttt dunked on!!!!!!
Feb 5, 2016 11:10 AM

Oct 2009
I think I'd have a better chance at finding a gf on 4chan than MAL.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» I used to use Facebook, until I got permabanned on it

DesuMaiden - 55 minutes ago

9 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you believe in near term human extinction or NTHE?

deg - 8 hours ago

16 by DesuMaiden »»
3 minutes ago

» what makes a forum signature catch your eyes?

707supremacist - Yesterday

23 by DesuMaiden »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever been falsely accused of anything?

Ejrodiew - 53 minutes ago

3 by DesuMaiden »»
6 minutes ago

» Have you ever given up on major passions in your life?

RobertBobert - 5 hours ago

21 by DesuMaiden »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.