Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 24, 2016 2:56 AM

Jul 2009
I'll often check random users' lists or lists of my friends and notice that they don't score everything they've completed. Some people score practically nothing, while others will leave only a couple things here and there unscored. I don't get why people do this. Is it to keep their mean score higher? Or are there other reasons too?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 24, 2016 2:57 AM

Jan 2016
Some people simply don't believe in scoring something they watched, others simply use their anime list simply for listing the things they've watched, and other people are simply too lazy.
Jan 24, 2016 2:59 AM

Jan 2016
I think some people really like to think things through. Or maybe they watched those series a long time ago and haven't re-watched it yet. Or they're just lazy.
Jan 24, 2016 3:00 AM

Sep 2009
Too lazy to quantify their opinion, are aware that their opinions are subject to change, or feel that it's too subjective to be expressed in a single integer between 1 and 10, inclusive.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 24, 2016 3:02 AM
Apr 2013
Why should I? I watch anime for entertainment and not as a medium to perform an objective metrics on.
Jan 24, 2016 3:02 AM

Jul 2009
Ah okay, that all makes sense then..

worldeditor11 said:
Why should I? I watch anime for entertainment and not as a medium to perform an objective metrics on.
To help determine a more accurate average score for the show, so when people are looking for things to watch and check the score first, they can judge based on that. Obvs your one score won't affect the average too much but if so many people don't score shows it can affect it.
Jan 24, 2016 3:07 AM

Sep 2015
When I initially started using MAL, I only used it to list the anime I'd seen and nothing else, rather than using Notepad or something like that. I didn't bother doing anything extra on my profile whatsoever. It was only after I started frequenting the forums that I started to pad out my profile a little, adding scores, favourites, etc.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Jan 24, 2016 3:08 AM

May 2015
Sometimes, they have forgotten to rate it, sometimes they don't want to, others use it for keeping track of them
Jan 24, 2016 3:10 AM
Apr 2013
Talim said:

To help determine a more accurate average score for the show, so when people are looking for things to watch and check the score first, they can judge based on that. Obvs your one score won't affect the average too much but if so many people don't score shows it can affect it.

I don't get it. Why should I score for the sake of other people? If they want recs, they can just ask me through profile comments or by pm. Rating an anime doesn't give me more enjoyment out of it and worse, impede it.
Jan 24, 2016 3:15 AM
Jan 2016
On my old profile I rated everything as objectively as I could, I even wrote tons of reviews, recommendations etc.

But back in '10 I somehow forgot about the website, and once I came back in '11 I just started adding stuff on the new account, but I couldn't recall everything or just wasn't sure enough to give a definitive rating, so I didn't.

And yes, this is, again, a new account because I completely forgot about the old one. :')

And, again, I'm not going to do anything extra besides just adding the entries.

Also this:

avd4991 said:
Why I don't rate anything anymore? For a simple reason. I became more interested in rating anime than enjoying them. While watching a show I was actively checking for flaws, missing the whole point of why I started watching anime in the first place. So I just stopped doing this.
Jan 24, 2016 3:16 AM

Dec 2015
Because they don't get why they should rate them? Not everyone likes to be a critic.
Jan 24, 2016 3:21 AM

Jun 2014
Maybe it was really weird and they dont know how to score it or they cant be bothered or they watched it a long time ago and just cant remember.
Jan 24, 2016 3:29 AM

Jun 2013
I guess I score the anime I watch for fun, I don't really care if other people don't score what they watch, it's their choice after all.
Jan 24, 2016 3:36 AM

Aug 2015
Everyone has the free will to do what do they think is right. Besides, what makes you bother about that matter, OP?

Jan 24, 2016 3:39 AM

Jul 2009
BlackMageNo1 said:
Everyone has the free will to do what do they think is right. Besides, what makes you bother about that matter, OP?
My OCD. :P Lists feel so incomplete when there's a couple or a lot of things unscored.
Jan 24, 2016 3:46 AM

May 2011
LAAZY. for me that is. I don't score much at all
Jan 24, 2016 3:49 AM

Mar 2010
Finding numerical scores inadequate, or purposely leaving them off so they won't feed people's preconceptions (it's the same with having no favorites, or one). They could also just not care or be lazy.
Jan 24, 2016 4:57 AM
Jul 2018
It's likely they're just not interested in scoring anything, maybe the scale is not one they would use. They also won't get sucked into any conflict with people who pick fights over scoring.
Jan 24, 2016 5:04 AM

Nov 2013
I rarely score anime, I'm using my anime list just for listing and see how many I've completed and to keep track of the episodes I watched.

Not everyone can't be bothered to fill in those score since its meaningless on this site anyways.
Jan 24, 2016 5:08 AM

Jul 2013
I personally don't have some shows rated, because I watched them years ago and don't have a fair critical opinion for them. That's why I'm re-watching a couple of shows, including DRR!!.

Others may only watch anime for enjoyment and don't believe in rating.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 24, 2016 5:10 AM

Feb 2008
1. Because sometimes I'm just too lazy or too tired to do so.
2. Just like someone has already said, opinion is subject to change in time. As an example, when I started watching anime, 10 years ago, I used to think that Elfen Lied was a masterpiece, one of the best series ever made. It had a big impact on me at that time. 3 years ago I decided to re watch it and ,oh boy, did I find so many flaws in it. It's nowhere near a 10/10. Even the current score I gave it's way too much given the way the story developed ( 8/10 mostly for ost, graphics that were top notch for 2004, character design, original premise - liked the whole vector and mutant thing, gore scenes, back story for some characters and personal nostalgia). Likewise, the are shows and genres that I couldn't really get into back then, yet I find myself enjoying them more in the present.

Given all this it would be a pain in the ass to go every 2 years and re-rate everything on my list based on how my opinion changed in the meantime.Plus, it doesn't really matter, just because I don't believe that Elfen Lied is a perfect 10, doesn't really mean I enjoy it any less when I decide to re-watch it.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jan 24, 2016 5:24 AM

Oct 2012
They just want to have a checklist?

Another possible reason is when someone creates an account after already watching hundreds of anime.
They probably wouldn't bother to rate any. It's too much work.
Jan 24, 2016 5:28 AM

Nov 2013
Firstly not scoring anything doesn't make me feel heavy anymore. Second, I think It's quite bothersome as the scores actually more intended for other people rather than yourself anyway, so I'd keep my opinion to myself and if only someone ask me whether about thought or recommendation, then I'll tell them about it. Lastly, I'm just lazy.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 24, 2016 5:33 AM

Dec 2015
I like scoring anime. It gives me the false sense that my opinion is important when in reality I know that nobody cares what I think.
Jan 24, 2016 5:36 AM

Nov 2015
Some people just watch anime because they enjoy it and don't want to critically evaluate it..
Jan 24, 2016 5:57 AM

Feb 2008
Orange said:

Another possible reason is when someone creates an account after already watching hundreds of anime.

Yeah, when I made an account on MAL, I had already completed 100 series.

4blaze2it0 said:
Some people just watch anime because they enjoy it and don't want to critically evaluate it..

Pretty much this.

Don't talk to me about character development if Kaizuka Inaho or Slaine Troyard are in your favorites.
Jan 24, 2016 7:38 AM

Feb 2013
i sometimes not score because i still have seasons to watch from that anime that i feel could change my opinion
Jan 24, 2016 7:40 AM

Jul 2012
They don't care enough to score it..
Jan 24, 2016 7:44 AM

Sep 2015
I won't score something if I fell asleep watching it (I usually watch at night) or didn't think it was anything above average.

I don't want my list to be filled with tons of 5/10's because of mediocre shorts.

If I feel like a show demanded attention from me, then I'll give it some after viewing it.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Jan 24, 2016 7:46 AM

Nov 2015
The only reason I can think of to do it is because of the whole compatibility thing on this site and maybe for suggestion purposes. I'm not interested in any of those.
Jan 24, 2016 7:53 AM
Jan 2015
Because scores are ridiculously subjective and relative to the series you watch or your mood that time. Long story short, too many factors.

I mean, you can both give an 8, to let's say Noragami and Grisaia then say Noragami is the better show (or the other way around). It cannot serve as a real gauge of quality for some so they do not score shows at all.
Jan 24, 2016 8:05 AM

Dec 2015
Orange said:
They just want to have a checklist?

This is the reason for me. I need a list to keep track of all my anime/manga I finished and am currently reading.

Also I have watched/read 100's of anime/manga so there is no way I can even begin to add those to my account as this account was created last week I believe.
Jan 24, 2016 8:06 AM

Jul 2015
I feel cockblocked whenever some one doesn't score his list .

It's even worse when he/she sets it to private .

But at a point I didn't rate anything since I generally enjoyed most of what I watched and so didn't bother with much else .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 24, 2016 8:39 AM

Jun 2013
Why would you care anyways, it's not going to affect your daily life i think
Jan 24, 2016 9:39 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Because not all people like giving anime a score, or they feel it's a chore.

Probably they feel happier that way

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 24, 2016 9:43 AM

Mar 2015
Some people don't want to, nothing wrong with that
Jan 24, 2016 9:46 AM

Aug 2015
Probably they don't want others to find out about their terrible taste

╮(╯▽╰)╭
Jan 24, 2016 9:51 AM
Jul 2018
I often don't rate specials, movies, ovas. I am not certain why, I think because I go in with low expectations and feel they don't really count.
I also don't rate dropped shows, wouldn't be fair to score it if I haven't finished it.
Jan 24, 2016 10:09 AM

Dec 2014
Z-Dante said:

╮(╯▽╰)╭

Couldn't care less. Though I'd probably be judged for giving 10/9 to some shows xD
I had a rating system (based on pure enjoyment), but I deleted it. Why? Beacuse, this is hobby for relaxation, and I don't want to think too much about flaws. Now I mainly put them in awesome/good/mediocre/awful category (somewhere in my mind) xD
And in my previous rating some with the same score were kinda still different in quality and I'd often changed a lot of scores.
Jan 24, 2016 10:11 AM

Feb 2010
Because nobody forces them to do so, I assume.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 24, 2016 10:14 AM

Sep 2015
Z-Dante said:

╮(╯▽╰)╭
Pretty much this.

OP you can close the thread now.
NasalShark said:
I'd love to squeeze your nipples until they look like a purple slushie, Senpai.

Jan 24, 2016 10:18 AM

Jan 2013
lazyness.
Trust me I know first-hand.
Jan 24, 2016 10:24 AM
May 2010
Z-Dante said:

╮(╯▽╰)╭

I think if they don't care enough to let a rigid scoring system determine objectively how entertaining subjective entertainment really is to them, they won't really care enough whether if you think their taste is shit or not, you elitist troll. This is kinda a idiotic statement to make, IMO, especially if you're seeking (most likely subconsciously, but seeking nonetheless) the attention of those you deemed to have terrible taste.

Personally, looking back now, I find my own scores unreliable and inaccurate. Not because I have an insane belief that there's an objective way of quantifying something as subjective as entertainment and art, but because their abstract nature has made me realized just how pointless my scoring really was. Anime I rated 5 years ago I would have felt differently today, as would I 5 years later. Moreover, regardless of what I rate, someone else is going to give a 10 to Cowboy Bebop so what the fuck ever. There's no point in comparing our dicks.

But yes, I still do it today. Still can't get rid of the old habit. But gradually, I'm starting to see little meaning in such practice. I think if there's a meaning at all, it's not to quantify how quality I think of an anime, but how much the anime caters towards my taste and interests - which are individual values that shouldn't be objectified, mind you.
OminousWrexJan 24, 2016 10:28 AM
Jan 24, 2016 10:39 AM

Aug 2015
Paul-Phoenix said:
Z-Dante said:

╮(╯▽╰)╭

I think if they don't care enough to let a rigid scoring system determine objectively how entertaining subjective entertainment really is to them, they won't really care enough whether if you think their taste is shit or not, you elitist troll.......
Are you using some kind of alien language ? Shorten it to 20 words or less.
And when and how did I become an elitist ?

TitanAnteus said:
lazyness.
Trust me I know first-hand.
True that.
Even I sometimes forget to add a show even after watching them because of laziness . But when I set it to completed , I always try to rate it.

What surprises/annoys me most are the people who hasn't scored a single show in their list.
Jan 24, 2016 10:41 AM

Feb 2013
I used to not score anything when I started using this site, basically because I dont cared about it.

Jan 24, 2016 10:43 AM
May 2010
Z-Dante said:
Paul-Phoenix said:

I think if they don't care enough to let a rigid scoring system determine objectively how entertaining subjective entertainment really is to them, they won't really care enough whether if you think their taste is shit or not, you elitist troll.......
Are you using some kind of alien language ? Shorten it to 20 words or less.
And when and how did I become an elitist ?

Tastes can't be terrible or not terrible because it's subjective. Stating otherwise is not only rude, but idiotic.
Jan 24, 2016 10:48 AM

Feb 2015
At first I honestly rate anime I watched, but I don't rate OVA's or Movies. The reason I don't rank OVA's or Movies is because it is excluded to the specific anime and just at least 20 mins worth of my time, to me that 20 mins is insignificant or will not really affect the anime itself. For the movies, is also the same.
I don't rate anime any more because it's now getting boring and there's no really point in doing so.
Jan 24, 2016 10:50 AM

Jul 2015
They don't want others to know what they believe about an anime/manga
they're bored
they don't care about the scores
Jan 24, 2016 10:51 AM

Jul 2014
I've watched/read some series years ago, and I can't be bothered to rewatch or to think the ratings through. Yet I want to have a list.
Other than that there're a lot of series I drop - in anime and manga I let myself to drop or pick up things freely. So sometimes I don't think it's right for me to rate the series in their entirety. There're complex cases, like when I enjoyed a couple of episodes, a single character, but skipped some parts. Or I may feel that I am not the target audience, and hate something because of my own mistake. Or I don't care.

Basically, I rate randomly, if I feel like it. But that's my lists, and it's enough for me. I think that it's no one elses's business, and if someone for some ungodly reason wants to know my opinion, wants recommendations for manga or disagrees, they can pm or comment. Wrote a couple of reviews, when I thought it could be useful.
deadoptimistJan 24, 2016 10:55 AM
Jan 24, 2016 11:04 AM

Jan 2016
They just don't want to most likely.

But I'm sure they all have their own reasons for doing the things they do.
"I love advertisements" - Nobody
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre?

decco6226 - 12 hours ago

43 by MadanielFL »»
9 seconds ago

» Do you enjoy talking about anime you dislike?

Catalano - 6 minutes ago

4 by Serafos »»
3 minutes ago

» How far are you willing to forgive anime for its obvious (to you) disadvantages?

RobertBobert - Yesterday

27 by RobertBobert »»
3 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

68 by shiro-seishun »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime that reignited your passion for watching

Cammell - 1 hour ago

8 by deg »»
3 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.