Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 15, 2016 8:31 PM

May 2015
Is it Worth a Try? Especially in Solo Mode?

If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Jan 15, 2016 8:44 PM

Nov 2014
It is boring in solo mode (get's repetitive with no other fun), find friends to play with.

Jan 15, 2016 8:56 PM

Jul 2013
Not worth it. Bad game. It's basically just endless grinding fetch/kill-quests and getting "new" random guns with stupid stats increases and shit that don't feel like real guns at all because of the insane bulletsponge gameplay that is designed entirely around the prospect of continuously getting more loot.
Jan 16, 2016 1:14 AM

Feb 2015
I've never played it solo but me and my friend have collectively won the three of then out sixty times and counting. So good.

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Oh oh oh oh and she's buying a stairway to heaven

Jan 16, 2016 1:57 AM

Jan 2012
It's a terrible game on it's own. Hell I couldn't even last 3 hours on my own before I said "I'm over this".

I at least managed to finish it with 3 other friends. It's honestly just a bore to play it alone.

The skills themselves feel boring. The quests are literally just fetch/kill quests like Soul-Master said.

The gun combat is often very wonky and just doesn't feel "good" to play.
It's only good as a co-op experience.
Jan 16, 2016 3:52 AM

Aug 2015
I would probably start with Borderlands 2... 1 was somewhat of a grindy mess with a terrible ending.
Jan 16, 2016 7:20 AM

Aug 2008
snipers are too OP

“The impossible could not have happened, therefore the impossible must be possible in spite of appearances.” 
― Agatha Christie
Jan 16, 2016 7:24 AM

Jul 2015
No but you should play Borderlands 2 and/or Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel.

They're alright solo but they're clearly designed to be played co-op.
Jan 16, 2016 7:33 AM

Oct 2013
Nah, Borderlands 1 wasn't that great to be honest and the ending was bad. Punching people with Brick was fun though.
Jan 16, 2016 7:39 AM

Sep 2012
Coming from someone who played all 3 Borderlands games, the first one is the worst.

Meh characters, repetitive quests, same scenario (desert, desert and desert) over and over again, terrible level scaling (you will need to do pretty much all sidequest unless you wanna be underleveled), average and generic gameplay,etc. The first few hours were so boring that I dropped it two times before getting out of the beginner area. It gets a lot better once you build up your character and he becomes more unique though (punching the hell out of people with Brick, going Sanic speed and regenerating your health with Lilith,being a sniper and using Bloodwing with Mordercai...).

I will say give it a try (it was worth it by the end for me, decent 6/10 game), but if you don't like it go straight to Borderlands 2, that's where the series truly shines with it's humor and great characters (Tiny Tina's DLC is one of the best I've ever played, so you really need to play that as well). Play The Presequel once you're done with that if you want more, it has a really great cast of playable characters.
Jan 16, 2016 7:55 AM

Apr 2013
If you are gonig to play the series, don't bother playing the PreSequel (what a waste of time and a true disappointment).

Borderlands 2 is way better. But if you don't have a friend to play with, it will get boring fast.
Jan 16, 2016 8:04 AM

Sep 2014
Depends on what kinds of games you enjoy. Borderlands is a lot less fun to play on your own generally, so be prepared for that.

If you like FPS games with a leveling system a slight tinge of the RPG genre, it's definitely worth a shot. The humour is pretty great as well, but it obviously won't be for everyone. It's mostly pop culture references, parodies, and sarcastic/dark/absurd humour.

The second game is probably the best one, in my opinion.
Jan 16, 2016 9:31 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, specially 2.

Playing in coop is only more fun if you have friends in the same skillset and "gaming mindset" as yours. I definitelly preferred playing it solo when most of my coop buddies would ignore most chests and loot and rush straight for the next area. Very annoying.
Jan 16, 2016 7:57 PM

Feb 2008
Only with friends tbh. The game is just a repetitive shooter RPG with lots of backtracking and generic quests. But at least if you enjoy memes, you might like the humor. I found the writing in both games to be pretty bad, especially Memelands 2. Couldn't give a shit about anything going on, but it was an okay time waster since I played it with someone.

But solo? Pirate it and find out. If you don't like it after a couple hours, it doesn't get better, only worse (repetitive).

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jan 16, 2016 10:21 PM

Jul 2015
Yes but only with friends. It is really boring otherwise
Jan 16, 2016 10:38 PM

Dec 2015
No it's terrible for the simple fact that you can't really play solo.

A good co-op game should also be fun to play solo

Final

Jan 17, 2016 1:48 AM

Mar 2014
I played Borderlands with my brother. I played borderlands 2 and the pre sequel solo.

Borderlands 2 is the much better game but and I would recommend that if you pick up any game in the series, you only pick up BL2.

It can be tedious solo but it is still fun but it is a hell of a lot more fun with others.
Jan 17, 2016 3:20 PM
Jul 2018
I'd say Borderlands 2 is more fun. Though playing with friends is better for all borderlands games.
Jan 17, 2016 4:32 PM

Aug 2013
Borderlands 2 is superior and you don't even need friends just dont do it solo. I joined a random group through servers and we literally completed the game in one sitting.

Mecromancer yo with an inventory stocked full of legendary gear.
Jan 18, 2016 2:28 AM
May 2009
Borderlands is a Co-op Game, Split screen co-op.
Online is fine, But I mainly did it to level up, or steal peoples gold key unlocks.
Jan 18, 2016 2:33 AM

Jul 2015
I'd say no
but you should try it anyways in case you have bad taste
Jan 18, 2016 2:45 AM

Mar 2011
Nope, it gets boring pretty fast.

Men are props on the stage of life, and no matter how tender, how exquisite…
A lie will remain a lie.

Jan 18, 2016 2:48 AM

Mar 2015
Solo isn't really worth trying.
No.

* It's just you.
Jan 18, 2016 6:22 AM

Jun 2012
Depending on what you plan on playing it on, you might be able to find some people here on MAL to play through it with.

Played 1 and 2 with a group of friends and it was a blast. Really fun games co-op. I played the first game by myself at first and made it about half way through the game before getting bored.... as people have said above, its just not that fun to play alone.
Jan 18, 2016 6:30 AM

Apr 2013
Played the first one part with some friends, was incredibly entertaining. Playing through the rest alone was also not boring though. I say go for it.
Jan 18, 2016 2:11 PM

Dec 2013
I'm playing through borderlands 2 now and haven't played the others. I enjoy playing solo or multi, hasn't really gotten boring for me yet!
Jan 18, 2016 4:56 PM

Dec 2014
Play with a friend. :D boring in solo

Jan 18, 2016 8:27 PM

Feb 2014
Solo is boring as hell.

Co-op is also boring.

Play it to see what it's like, but don't expect yourself to get hooked.
Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons.
It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
-Walt Whitman

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein
Jan 19, 2016 5:08 PM

Aug 2015
I would really recommend playing it coop, though there's still fun to be had solo if you're patient. Also the dlc missions where all really good even in solo, those are almost worth playing 1 for alone. Otherwise, you would be better off just getting the handsome collection and skipping 1 though, the plot's pretty well summed up in the begging of 2 and only a small part of the experience in 2/PS is diminished by having not played the first(the main characters are regulars, but they got almost no fleshing out in 1 so it doesn't matter too much). They were a massive improvement in every regard and 2 is a pretty awesome game. There's also of course, Tales from the Borderlands which is amazing and you should play it regardless.
Jan 19, 2016 6:19 PM

Feb 2013
Fleper said:
the plot
Who plays Borderlands for the plot? WTF?! No! You play Borderlands to BLOW STUFF UP! (and the comedy)

Borderlands1 has better weapon modding because the jerks at Gearbox for whatever stupid reason patched Borderlands2 to prevent hybrid mods from being injected through the bank. As such, BL1 had much much more replay value than BL2 did (mainly because modding guns was fun after endgame).

BL1 and BL2 are definitely worth it. I still jump on both of them from time to time. Pre-sequel... I never finished playthrough2... got boring for some reason (even save editing couldn't save that one... it's more like a really big DLC for BL2).
Jan 19, 2016 7:07 PM

Aug 2015
[quote=BurntJelly]
Fleper said:
the plot
Who plays Borderlands for the plot? WTF?! No! You play Borderlands to BLOW STUFF UP! (and the comedy).

That's why I said they can just skip the first, any important info is given in the first minute of B2.

More topics from this board

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

14 by JaniSIr »»
3 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3720 by Inuki »»
7 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3513 by Tamamolicki »»
11 hours ago

» total games on your steam library ( 1 2 )

deg - Feb 22

50 by Strahan »»
Yesterday, 4:32 PM

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Apr 25

2 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
Yesterday, 12:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.