Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 29, 2015 2:29 PM

Dec 2015
I been playing competitive Pokemon and I suck. Donkey balls suck.
Enlighten me MAL. How do I get better at Pokemon? How do I make good strategies, know how to switch, blablablablbla. I'm tired of being raped.

Shoot forward.
Dec 29, 2015 2:47 PM

Jan 2013
read Smogon until it is burned into your brain
Dec 29, 2015 2:49 PM

May 2010
Breed a Rattata.

Give it a focus sash or equivalent. Give it the move Endeavor.

Go into battle. Use Endeavor. Use Quick Attack.

Repeat for a total of 5 times.

Bring out your final strongest pokemon.
Dec 29, 2015 2:50 PM

Aug 2013
you're pretty much gonna get raped until you know what to expect in whatever tier you're in
once you've got a good grasp of that it's like 90% prediction and 10% teambuilding
Dec 29, 2015 2:50 PM

Jun 2013
Pick Bulbasaur as your starter.
Dec 29, 2015 2:53 PM

Sep 2007
Build a good team that covers a variety of types that covers each other's weaknesses. Movesets should be tailored to the pokemon's strengths and can cover their own weaknesses as well.

And breed. Breed for IVs. Breed for egg moves. Breed for natures.
Dec 29, 2015 7:38 PM

Dec 2015
I'll take the suggestions into account, though I also hope more. Thanks to those that took the time to answer ^^
Dec 29, 2015 8:12 PM

Aug 2013
Wasabi said:
And breed. Breed for IVs. Breed for egg moves. Breed for natures.
before possibly wasting your time with this, try out teams on showdown - saves hours upon hours
Dec 29, 2015 11:32 PM

Mar 2014
OP do you play on showdown? Showdown is a good simulator, let me know if you want to play together sometime.

Full Disclosure I suck lmao
Dec 29, 2015 11:35 PM

Nov 2011
Use correct spelling.
Dec 29, 2015 11:40 PM

Feb 2015
Know the math and pray for rnjesus
Dec 29, 2015 11:42 PM

Feb 2015
Kyuss said:
you're pretty much gonna get raped until you know what to expect in whatever tier you're in
once you've got a good grasp of that it's like 90% prediction and 10% teambuilding

It's all about hax and prediction. No need teambuilding bcs all-offense will rule competitive pokemon
Dec 29, 2015 11:46 PM

Sep 2014
Do you play on PO or Showdown or on DS wifi?

If anyone wants to battle me on Showdown just gimme a holla.
Dec 29, 2015 11:56 PM

Aug 2013
Monstrum said:
Kyuss said:
It's all about hax and prediction. No need teambuilding bcs all-offense will rule competitive pokemon
building a team is important because if you don't prepare for threats you just end up getting dominated every time, see; talonflame

nobody likes hax but without it you couldn't even use offense because stall would be everywhere
Dec 29, 2015 11:58 PM

Jul 2015
GRIND the game

train every pokemon tgill lvl 100
[/url]
Dec 30, 2015 12:12 AM

Aug 2013
I don't remember much about pokemon I just remember staying in bed at 4am playing waiting in a certain area at a certain time trying to catch a legendary.

As for advice just level starter to uber levels and one normal type to uber levels then shrek everything in your way regardless of weakness or elements.

I once leveled an aron to 100 it was funny to see the little guy ruin peoples days.

does this look like the face of mercy?

Dec 30, 2015 12:29 AM

Apr 2014
If you play by Smogon rules, look at their viability list for each tier and construct a competitive team according to it.

Here is PU's viability list for example, the best tier.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pu-viability-rankings.3528743/

Also, you should know what each and every Pokemon in the game is capable of, and adjust your play style accordingly, or you will get fucked up by lead Explosion Golem w/Custap berry after it sets up free cocks rocks.
Dec 30, 2015 3:42 AM

Jan 2013
Just play Smash competitively, its way easier to get into.
Dec 30, 2015 5:12 AM

Jul 2012
Pokemon Showdown is a good start.

Otherwise, I'd recommend starting to pay attention to your Pokemon's stats. For instance, if a Pokemon in particular has a high special attack and low defense, don't give it physical attacks to use and don't give it moves like Bide or things that require it to take lots of hits. Go EV and IV training.

Major123 said:
Not at all.
Dec 30, 2015 7:27 PM

Mar 2014
DAIO said:
Do you play on PO or Showdown or on DS wifi?

If anyone wants to battle me on Showdown just gimme a holla.

Random Battle me mayne
Dec 30, 2015 8:12 PM

Jan 2013
Battlechili said:
Pokemon Showdown is a good start.

Otherwise, I'd recommend starting to pay attention to your Pokemon's stats. For instance, if a Pokemon in particular has a high special attack and low defense, don't give it physical attacks to use and don't give it moves like Bide or things that require it to take lots of hits. Go EV and IV training.

Major123 said:
Not at all.
It most definitely is comparing it to Pokemon.
Dec 30, 2015 8:39 PM

Jan 2013
Major123 said:
It's easier to get into basketball too. Or sudoku. Or water painting. Easier for those who are better at one thing than another, that is.
Dec 31, 2015 7:26 AM

Dec 2010
Don't ever do competitive pokemon...
キターーーー(・∀・)ーーー!!
Dec 31, 2015 7:27 AM

Dec 2015
Just remember that Smogon tiers are bad and that you should follow PO tiers. That and NU best tier.
Dec 31, 2015 10:21 AM

Dec 2015
You need to have perfect evs/ivs just to have a chance in competitive. There is or was a website I used that let you make perfect Pokemon and import them into your game. They didn't always work, but around 80% of the time they did. I didn't have the time or the patience to do breeding and all that so I just did that. After that, it's just about making a good team for any possibility that you face and predicting what the other guy is gonna do.
Dec 31, 2015 11:00 AM

Jul 2014
Pray for the presence of of Bird Jesus and make sacrifice to Lord Helix.
Dec 31, 2015 11:07 AM

Oct 2009
Do you have a Pachirisu? If not, get a Pachirisu.

Dec 31, 2015 3:45 PM

Jun 2015
Practice makes perfect, bro.
Dec 31, 2015 4:07 PM

Jan 2013
Syrup- said:
Major123 said:
It's easier to get into basketball too. Or sudoku. Or water painting. Easier for those who are better at one thing than another, that is.
No no, with pokemon you need to actually learn a lot of things before going competitive but with smash you just need to play the game more.
Jan 10, 2016 2:18 AM

Apr 2008
grind grind grind grind grind gri- oh wait, competitive? Er

You are afraid to die, and you're afraid to live. What a way to exist.
Neale Donald Walsch

Jan 10, 2016 4:01 AM

Aug 2015
Better start making good teams through the help of 'guides' AKA (ORAS/XY teams posted in the Internet). Since almost everyone uses a certain Mega-Evolution Pokemon in his/her team right now (with the obvious/possible exception of Little Cup and PU), better start at OU and play teams that revolved around the usage of one certain Mega-Evolution Pokemon (mainly prioritize those at the top especially the first five, since most of the time I encountered players using them a lot):

• Mega-Sableye (Prankster -> Magic Bounce depending on the situation; usually has Will O' Wisp and Recover)
  • Mega-Charizard-Y (Drought for Fire Blast)
  • Mega-Charizard-X (Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw/Flare Blitz/Roost)
  • Mega-Metagross (Ice Punch/Earthquake/Zen Headbutt/Meteor Mash)
  • Mega-Lopunny (good movepool, great Attack, great Speed; High Jump Kick/Ice Punch/Return)
  • Mega-Gardevoir (Pixilate'd Hyper Voice)
  • Mega-Alakazam (Trace)
  • Mega-Diancie (Protect/Diamond Storm/Earth Power/Moonblast)
  • Mega-Scizor
  • Mega-Medicham (despite having the same Ability)
  • Mega-Absol (Magic Bounce, though Mega-Sableye will be a much priority for a Magic Bounce user than this Mega)
  • Mega-Gyarados (has Dragon Dance and Waterfall)
  • Mega-Heracross (Skill Link'ed Pin Missile and Rock Blast)
  • Mega-Gallade
  • Mega-Altaria (Mega-Gardevoir can do the same thing much better though due to having better coverage)
  • Mega-Tyranitar (other than adding bulk, I will usually give the Mega slot to anyone else really due to having same Ability)
  • Mega-Aerodactyl
  • Mega-Sharpedo (same issue as Tyranitar)
  • Mega-Abomasnow (same issue as Sharpedo and Tyranitar)
  • Mega-Camerupt
  • Mega-Beedrill (has Poison Jab)
  • Mega-Venusaur
  • Mega-Blastoise (any move that will be affected by its ability)
  • Mega-Swampert (has Rain Dance)
  • Mega-Ampharos (though this Pokemon has Dragon Pulse as its only viable competitive Dragon-type move)
  • Mega-Slowbro
  • Mega-Glalie (for Ice-type Explosion move)
  • Mega-Manectric
  • Mega-Pidgeot
  • Mega-Houndoom
  • Mega-Garchomp (though despite its bulk being much better than base Garchomp, I will prefer to give the Mega slot to anyone else because of the lowered Speed)
  • Mega-Banette (Prankster... Though Mega-Sableye will do the same duty much better)
  • Mega-Steelix
  • Mega-Audino (good for Doubles)
Frankies_MonsterJan 10, 2016 4:13 AM

Jan 10, 2016 4:24 AM

Jan 2013
Major123 said:
Syrup- said:
No no, with pokemon you need to actually learn a lot of things before going competitive but with smash you just need to play the game more.
Learning more things comes with playing the game more. This isn't something exclusive to one game or the other. You don't just pick up the controller and understand how to pull off certain mechanics properly just as much as you will never be able to gameshark yourself a group of LV100 pokemon and expect to win without knowledge of the game. Saying one is easier than the other really is like comparing one skill against another. It's not exactly fair, and whichever you are stronger at naturally will be what you have an easier time with.
Jan 11, 2016 12:36 PM

Feb 2015
Just remember this: don't fuckle with Shuckle
Jan 12, 2016 3:40 PM

Oct 2012
Learn about the Meta Game, look at online matches what are the top team and depending of what type of battle you do 1vs1,2vs2 or w/e get moves and ability that fits in that type of battle.
Jan 12, 2016 3:53 PM
Jul 2018
>catch a magikarp
>get another magikarp
>leave them at the daycare

gg you beat the game
Jan 12, 2016 11:11 PM

Feb 2015
Learn the basics, move sets and your team cooperative. Train EV IV Nature, a good move set and a good team.

or just join the Pokemon Showdown community.
There are some things in this world you don't have to watch and you don't think you ever have to.

More topics from this board

» Pokemon : Which legendary pokemon have you randomly came across without looking up their location?

Thy-Veseveia - Apr 9

4 by DreamWindow »»
17 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

57 by DreamingBeats »»
1 hour ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
5 hours ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
6 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.