Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2015 9:49 AM

Sep 2015
While these types of threads tend to be repetitive and recycled atleast 10 times every year, I'd like to add some more depth to it.

So after checking out some reviewers on youtube I decided that none of them are good. Joke. Demo seems to be the most competent one. The rest are either too busy making jokes or make me cringe. While I for one seek entertainment I also want the video itself to have some value to it. Gigguk's HoTD review was a joke. That's not a review but more of a parody. Where is the TotalBiscuit of the anime community? Is it because anime in general is such a shit medium that it's not possible to critique it seriously? I'm genuinely curious. I do like a few jokes here and there but not when it's overbearing. Oh yeah thatanimesnob has an annoying voice so fuck him.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 28, 2015 9:51 AM

May 2015
Watch Digibro and reach euphoria.

Anime reviwers don't know what the fuck to do to get views because unless you get a good following from the start due to luck, your fucked in terms of a youtube career. So they just do shit stuff trying to get people to look at it and give them whore dislikes.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 28, 2015 9:52 AM

May 2013
You talk about good reviewers and then mention Demo.

What?
Dec 28, 2015 9:53 AM
Mar 2013
YT reviewers are complete garbage since they're aiming for views and £$£ rather than quality so they jam their videos with shitty memes and pandering.
Dec 28, 2015 9:54 AM

May 2014
If you disagree with an opinion, then perhaps you're creating your own! Maybe make a video about it?
Dec 28, 2015 9:55 AM

Feb 2015
TheAnimeHero is a really good reviewer imo, but he mainly focuses on oldschool shounen like Hokuto no ken etc.
Dec 28, 2015 9:58 AM

Apr 2015
Well like my mum always said. "If you want it done right, you got to do it yourself."

But seriously the only anime reviewer that's good is Digibro.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2015 9:59 AM

Sep 2015
Dark_Chaos said:

What?

His redline review was good, along with some other ones. But maybe people see him more as a comedian.
Dec 28, 2015 10:01 AM

Aug 2008
People actually watch anime review in youtube? When I open youtube, I usually watch sports highlight,nigahiga,Smosh, anime scene from old anime that I watch, listen to anime OP/ED but review from anime almost never.
ZapredonDec 28, 2015 10:02 AM
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Dec 28, 2015 10:02 AM

Jun 2012
Who the fuck cares about some nerd on YouTube trying to review a Chinese cartoon? Why do I need some person who is less critical and analytical than me to tell me what's good or bad? If I want to watch a show, I decide to without the input of others. I don't need someone who clearly doesn't brush his teeth to tell me what the fuck is good or bad.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Dec 28, 2015 10:06 AM

May 2013
Dresta said:
Dark_Chaos said:

What?

His redline review was good, along with some other ones. But maybe people see him more as a comedian.

His serious content isn't too bad.

That is, when he actually gets to it. I have to get through footage of his pet lizard, his cats, himself and his unfunny jokes before he gets serious. Comedy is subjective as it gets, I know, but when it isn't your thing and you have to get through all that just for a review that's just standard, it's just not worth it. If you enjoy it, fair dos, but from what I've seen, the rest of the YouTube community have more "review" in their reviews and some can even make me laugh.
Dec 28, 2015 10:23 AM

Sep 2015
Ok after my brief research on Digibro, he passes. Still not TotalBiscuit though. I think the word analysis has been misused when it comes to him, some of these videos are documentaries. Might as well hire David Attenborough to narrate the shit.
Dec 28, 2015 10:25 AM

Sep 2015
Holybaptiser said:
Who the fuck cares about some nerd on YouTube trying to review a Chinese cartoon? Why do I need some person who is less critical and analytical than me to tell me what's good or bad? If I want to watch a show, I decide to without the input of others. I don't need someone who clearly doesn't brush his teeth to tell me what the fuck is good or bad.

Most of the time I watch them for opinions and seeing an anime from a different perspective. But it's hard to know what their thoughts are when they're busy making a fool out of themselves.
Dec 28, 2015 10:27 AM

Oct 2011
Dresta said:
Ok after my brief research on Digibro, he passes. Still not TotalBiscuit though. I think the word analysis has been misused when it comes to him, some of these videos are documentaries. Might as well hire David Attenborough to narrate the shit.

Problem with Digi is he takes things way too seriously and analyzes shit the normal anime viewer doesn't care about.
Dec 28, 2015 10:28 AM

Apr 2015
Holybaptiser said:

This. I want to sex you so hard. Hopefully your referencing Arkada.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 28, 2015 10:30 AM

May 2013
Holybaptiser said:

They don't tell you what is good or bad. They tell you their opinion and give you information so you yourself can decide whether you'll like said series or not.
Dec 28, 2015 10:59 AM

Jun 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
Holybaptiser said:

They don't tell you what is good or bad. They tell you their opinion and give you information so you yourself can decide whether you'll like said series or not.
I literally addressed that in the following sentence.

Dec 28, 2015 11:04 AM

May 2013
Holybaptiser said:
Dark_Chaos said:

You implied that reviewers are there to tell you what's good or bad though, which is not the case.
Dec 28, 2015 11:16 AM

Jun 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
Holybaptiser said:

You implied that reviewers are there to tell you what's good or bad though, which is not the case.
A reviewer is bound to give a positive review to a show they like and vice versa. Their personal bias plays a huge role in giving reviews. Whatever arbitrary criteria you set for your reviews still boils down to personal taste and gratification.

Good and bad is implied within the review. It's essentially the massive underlying of a review.

What the fuck is with this community and reviews?

Dec 28, 2015 11:27 AM

May 2013
Holybaptiser said:
Dark_Chaos said:

A reviewer is bound to give a positive review to a show they like and vice versa. Their personal bias plays a huge role in giving reviews. Whatever arbitrary criteria you set for your reviews still boils down to personal taste and gratification.

Good and bad is implied within the review. It's essentially the massive underlying of a review.

A reviewer is just one man. He alone does not determine what is good or bad, and his goal is not to tell you what's good or bad. Even Arkada and Gigguk's opinions by themselves are insignificant. They are people, not gods, and people seem to forget that sometimes.

A reviewers goal is as follows -

- Give opinion/explain opinion
- Give information to let the viewer decide whether they want to watch said series or not

That is all. I disagree with many reviews from my favourite reviewers, but I still think they are good reviews that have achieved their purpose because give me their perspective on it, and by doing so, they keep me away from the Anime I wouldn't like and drive me towards the Anime I do like. That's kinda the point of em tbh :/
Dec 28, 2015 11:38 AM
Feb 2015
YouTube reviewers are either overly critical of asinine aspects of a show or just pander to the popular Shonens out there and are about as analytical as cheese melting on ice.

Digi is pretentious and thinks he's smarter than he actually is. ThatAnimeSnob is supposed to be a condescending jerk...that's just his character. Demo is alright. Gigguk is pure entertainment with no tangible analysis.

Only 2 decent reviewers are Glass Reflection and BobSamurai.
Dec 28, 2015 11:41 AM

May 2015
Let me get on some Message is the Medium shit:

The video format isn't well-suited to transmit complex ideas.

When writing, you have time to organize your arguments. You also have time to read it at your own pace.

When someone is speaking, they're controlling the pace. It's easy to miss on ideas.

Also, the information that's conveyed isn't just the words. Tone of voice is also extra information. You don't just learn about the anime but learn about the reviewer via how he speaks.

Don't go for YouTube reviewers. They suck. I haven't found an anime reviewer that I like but there are intelligent people on this site who write some interesting stuff (Aikaflip and Merryfistmas come to mind). I also try my best to write in-depth, informative reviews. Hopefully you'll find some value there.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 28, 2015 11:43 AM

May 2014
This is why you read reviews instead of watching them
Dec 28, 2015 11:59 AM

Jun 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
Holybaptiser said:

A reviewer is just one man. He alone does not determine what is good or bad, and his goal is not to tell you what's good or bad. Even Arkada and Gigguk's opinions by themselves are insignificant. They are people, not gods, and people seem to forget that sometimes.

- Give information to let the viewer decide whether they want to watch said series or not

That is all. I disagree with many reviews from my favourite reviewers, but I still think they are good reviews that have achieved their purpose because give me their perspective on it, and by doing so, they keep me away from the Anime I wouldn't like and drive me towards the Anime I do like. That's kinda the point of em tbh :/
Thanks for regurgitating your old post and resorting to rhetorics. I am now 100 percent convinced by your point. Thanks for coming out. Hope to see you around.

Dec 28, 2015 12:00 PM

May 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:

When writing, you have time to organize your arguments. You also have time to read it at your own pace.

When someone is speaking, they're controlling the pace. It's easy to miss on ideas.

Also, the information that's conveyed isn't just the words. Tone of voice is also extra information. You don't just learn about the anime but learn about the reviewer via how he speaks.

Don't go for YouTube reviewers. They suck. I haven't found an anime reviewer that I like but there are intelligent people on this site who write some interesting stuff (Aikaflip and Merryfistmas come to mind). I also try my best to write in-depth, informative reviews. Hopefully you'll find some value there.

I would like to know what ideas can be transmitted in a written format that can't be transmitted in a video format. I thought it was the other way around to be honest :S

To be fair, that's what scripts are for

If they're a good speaker and you're a good listener, this won't happen. Alternatively, you can always rewind the video.

This tone of voice I believe helps the reviewer to emphasise important things that may have been missed otherwise in text-based reviews. Think of it like bolding text or changing the size.

Holybaptiser said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Thanks for regurgitating your old post and resorting to rhetorics. I am now 100 percent convinced by your point. Thanks for coming out. Hope to see you around.

You don't actually sound like you're convinced by my point at all, and that disappoints me :/
Dec 28, 2015 12:06 PM

Nov 2015
Well... there are things that can't be conveyed in video.
Most thoughts can't be done without narration.
Details noticed by the characters, like body language and stuff.

A good exercise would be to read a book or a LN which has been adapted. Read the scene and then watch. You'll see many differences.
Dec 28, 2015 12:17 PM

Dec 2015
Youtube reviews are bad if you take them seriously.
Dec 28, 2015 12:24 PM

Jun 2010
Maybe if you stopped watching and started reading, you'd find the quality content you're looking for.
Reviews are meant to be written, not spouted in a semi-organized soup of MEMES and AYY LMAO LIKE SUBSCRIBE COMMENT.
As some already said on this thread: Stop watching retarded kids.
Dec 28, 2015 1:08 PM

Jul 2014
GRArkada/Glass Reflection gives good reviews because he uses his own opinion, he doesn't give in too pressure from people and give a show a good review because alot of people like it, he's blunt about what he doesn't like. And local lizard handler Demolition D+ but he hasn't reviewed a show in like a fuckin year so.
ZjjDec 28, 2015 1:11 PM
Dec 28, 2015 2:00 PM

Oct 2014
Agree with ^ glass reflection is good
So is Bobsamurai. They make good reveiws and if you're one of those that like variety really check out bob.

And codeprovider and KOL are cool but they do mostly one piece and a few other series sprinkled in there
mochakawaiibearDec 28, 2015 2:00 PM
Dec 28, 2015 2:21 PM

Mar 2014
JkayW said:
Well like my mum always said. "If you want it done right, you got to do it yourself."

Truth, everyone else is a complete joke. He's entertaining and actually write detailed analysis. He gets into details that everyone else glosses over such as direction and cinematography. He also uses a script so the ideas are organized well.

Bob is an intolerable meme channel and seems to care more about what other people think of anime than what je thonks of anime.

I've seen a few good ones here, but most people follow the awful art/sound/story/character format, and only give a perfunctory glance at these. You can't say "great character development" that doesn't mean anything, you need examples. Art style can be critically evaluated, it can add to aymosphere or feel incongruous with the tone show, but most people only refer to the animation quality and cop out with music and art style being subjective.
merryfistmasDec 28, 2015 2:24 PM
Dec 28, 2015 2:25 PM

May 2013
merryfistmas said:
JkayW said:

Truth, everyone else is a complete joke. He's entertaining and actually write detailed analysis. He gets into details that everyone else glosses over such as direction and cinematography. He also uses a script so the ideas are organized well.

I've seen a few good ones here, but most people follow the awful art/sound/story/character format, and only give a perfunctory glance at these. You can't say "great character development" that doesn't mean anything, you need examples. Art style can be critically evaluated, it can add to aymosphere or feel incongruous with the tone show, but most people only refer to the animation quality and cop out with music and art style being subjective.

To be fair, the music and art style are subjective. I thought Digibro had this in his head too, but I guess not huh. That's rather disappointing, honestly, as I kinda liked the guy :/
Dec 28, 2015 2:31 PM

Mar 2014
Dark_Chaos said:
merryfistmas said:

To be fair, the music and art style are subjective. I thought Digibro had this in his head too, but I guess not huh. That's rather disappointing, honestly, as I kinda liked the guy :/
I didn't say digibro did that, I was referring to MAL reviews. And of course it's subjective but that doesn't mean it can't be discussed. Look at Cowboy Bebops art style and tell me it doesn't fit well with a western space themed show.
Dec 28, 2015 2:35 PM

Oct 2014
merryfistmas said:
Dark_Chaos said:

I didn't say digibro did that, I was referring to MAL reviews. And of course it's subjective but that doesn't mean it can't be discussed. Look at Cowboy Bebops art style and tell me it doesn't fit well with a western space themed show.
Any "serious" looking artstyle could pull that off tho
Dec 28, 2015 2:40 PM

Jan 2015
Gigguks "Anime in (insert year here)" are the only videos you need.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Dec 28, 2015 2:41 PM

May 2013
merryfistmas said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Ahh, you're referring to those people who say that phrase when they can't really discuss such elements on a general level rather than a "good or bad" thing. My bad.
Dec 28, 2015 2:42 PM

Dec 2015
bobzanny said:

Agreed. The others either take it too seriously and end up embarrassing themselves or simply lack the humour to make a fun video.
Dec 28, 2015 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
I'd rather read reviews to be honest with you. I don't expect much from youtube reviewers and mainly just watch them for entertainment if I watch at all.
Dec 28, 2015 2:49 PM

Feb 2013
Dresta said:
Holybaptiser said:

Most of the time I watch them for opinions and seeing an anime from a different perspective. But it's hard to know what their thoughts are when they're busy making a fool out of themselves.
then have you considered reading text reviews?

thatanimesnob has many of them on anidb.. i especially like those he made for very obscure shows that dont get reviewd much at all
Dec 28, 2015 2:55 PM

Jan 2015
CherryLover said:
bobzanny said:

Agreed. The others either take it too seriously and end up embarrassing themselves or simply lack the humour to make a fun video.

Nothing worse imo than when a reviewer takes an anime/manga too seriously.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Dec 28, 2015 2:56 PM

Aug 2013
I hardly read reviews on mal. And have pretty much never watched a youtube review.

Mostly because it would be a waste of time, everyone else's opinion being trash n all. If you get a kick or some entertainment out of it by all means, just don't expect anything ground breaking and analytical, especially on yt.
Dec 28, 2015 2:57 PM

Feb 2014
I really like some youtube reviewers actually. I don't really care if I disagree with them, just as long as they emphasize their points strongly and somewhat entertain me. Also I like reviewers with character. I find Demo and Gigguk hilarious and I like some other reviewers like GoatJesus and JesuOtaku.
Dec 28, 2015 3:07 PM

Mar 2014
pretentiousgabby said:
merryfistmas said:
Any "serious" looking artstyle could pull that off tho
But it wouldn't work for the situations they get into. A large black dude stealing a corgi is going to feel out of place in a show with Monster's art style

@Dark_Chaos Yeah, I wasn't trying to say certain art styles are objectively good or bad, just that failing to discuss them in any capacity hurts a review.

To give more examples, I read somewhere that Madoka Magica used wide faced lolis to contrast with the dark and abstract labyrinths and witches. Whether or not this was intentional I believe it had the desired effect because it gives the show an uncomfortable feeling befitting of it's transition from magical lolis eating cake to magical lolis suffering.

Fate/Zero's character designs have the trademarks of cuter shows, such as giant eyes and hair antennae, which I think distracts from the serious nature of the show.

Going back to Watanabe's work, Samurai Champloo's combination of hip hop and feudal Japan is cool, but lacks enough of the hip hop influence in the art style to produce a consistent aesthetic. Space Dandy does it the best imo, being as colorful and bizarre as Dandy's adventures, and even the lower level of character detail used in some frames works in the shows favor beause it makes it look even goofier, while it's something that hurts Champloo.

You can argue against anything I said of course, and many dislike Madoka's art style, but that doesn't mean you can't back up your subjective opinion with reasons. It's important to bring this up because just acknowledging the fact that Madoka uses wide faced lolis and awkward paper cutouts may be something that attracts or turns away a potential viewer. Whether they agree or disagree with your opinion, you've brought up specific styles that will help them make a more informed decision on whether or not to watch the show.
merryfistmasDec 28, 2015 3:17 PM
Dec 30, 2015 6:22 AM

Jan 2015
JkayW said:

Easier said than done. A lot of new youtubers don't receive much attention since arkada and the bigger YTubers hog all the traffic.

Dec 30, 2015 6:24 AM

Jan 2015
They are just cancerous as with the community itself
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Dec 30, 2015 10:15 AM

May 2015
Dark_Chaos said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I would like to know what ideas can be transmitted in a written format that can't be transmitted in a video format. I thought it was the other way around to be honest :S

If they're a good speaker and you're a good listener, this won't happen. Alternatively, you can always rewind the video.

This tone of voice I believe helps the reviewer to emphasise important things that may have been missed otherwise in text-based reviews. Think of it like bolding text or changing the size.

Let's say that most of my personality is hidden when I write. You see words, but these are words I have time to think about and consider. It's calculated. Freudian slips probably won't happen.

The only information you have is the ideas - currently we're discussing the idea of Medium is the Message.

Information such as my age or where I'm from is unavailable to you because you don't hear my voice.

I don't see what's the use of bolding or italics when writing. It's expressive, but a review shouldn't just be an outpouring of emotions. It should present clear ideas and arguments why a show is good.

I've seen some some of these reviews with emphasis. All they do is appeal to your emotions, going 'lol @ ridiculous'. It's closer to Mystery Science Theater rather than actual reviewing. Entertaining, yes, but not informative.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 30, 2015 4:07 PM

May 2013
TheBrainintheJar said:
Dark_Chaos said:

Let's say that most of my personality is hidden when I write. You see words, but these are words I have time to think about and consider. It's calculated. Freudian slips probably won't happen.

The only information you have is the ideas - currently we're discussing the idea of Medium is the Message.

Information such as my age or where I'm from is unavailable to you because you don't hear my voice.

I don't see what's the use of bolding or italics when writing. It's expressive, but a review shouldn't just be an outpouring of emotions. It should present clear ideas and arguments why a show is good.

I've seen some some of these reviews with emphasis. All they do is appeal to your emotions, going 'lol @ ridiculous'. It's closer to Mystery Science Theater rather than actual reviewing. Entertaining, yes, but not informative.

Scripts and multiple takes cover that.

What? :S

This makes a difference somehow? :S

I feel a good review needs to be able to highlight the important bits. Otherwise, people may miss those bits and have to go back and read everything again, and that's no fun.

You're probably watching the wrong reviews then.
Dec 30, 2015 4:10 PM

Jan 2012
I watch a few, like Sawyer and King of Lightning, though moreso their manga reviews. I find them entertaining enough.
Dec 30, 2015 4:11 PM
Feb 2011
Idk, I never bother to read or watch reviews, unless they are purely comedic, as I find that shit completely pointless.
Dec 30, 2015 4:11 PM

Apr 2015
Sawyer is good. I watch Uzumaki Khan for the lols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » how often do you self insert or empathize with anime characters? and do you imagine how good or bad the situation or experience is too

deg - 2 minutes ago

0 by deg »»
2 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 3 hours ago

18 by Zarutaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 5 hours ago

24 by BitChilly »»
5 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Apr 18

21 by Horshu »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 19

78 by Horshu »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.