Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think victims of traumatizing events, or ones with serious mental illnesses, could be excused of their actions?

New
Dec 16, 2015 6:32 PM

Jun 2015
For example, I heard Shia Lebouf abused his girlfriend or something like that. However, people are trying to defend this by saying "well he was a victim of rape, & it could be some sort of coping mechanism" or something like that.
Also, about like war veterans with PTSD committing murder.

Or with a less extreme case, a person with depression, anger issues, bipolar, etc being emotionally abusive.

I personally don't think so. All that should do is give you a room in a treatment center or something & not directly to a jail cell.
There is really no legitimate excuse to your actions if they hurt others imo.
NilinDec 16, 2015 11:45 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 16, 2015 6:33 PM

Jun 2015
weird. I agree with you on something.
Dec 16, 2015 6:34 PM

Jan 2015
Nope.

Jul 2012
No - if another party was hurt in the process (abuse, murder, rape, etc.)

Yes, they can slightly be excused but still deserve a punishment - if nobody was hurt in the process (robbery, theft, graffiti, vandalism, public indecency)

Jun 2015
Hell no. If you screw up, you pay for it. That's just how life goes.
Dec 16, 2015 6:35 PM

Sep 2013
Don't people manage to get by using the matrix argument?

well either way, I really wonder if you can manage to be excused for murdering someone who you thought was a zombie.
Dec 16, 2015 6:37 PM

Jun 2015
nep-nep said:
Don't people manage to get by using the matrix argument?

well either way, I really wonder if you can manage to be excused for murdering someone who you thought was a zombie.

Who was it that got off of some serious crime by using the matrix argument? I'm totally blanking on the name but I remember it was something that left me in complete disbelief and exemplified the primary issue with our legal/penal system.
Dec 16, 2015 6:42 PM
Jul 2018
Rape victims shouldn't melt steel beams.
Dec 16, 2015 6:54 PM

Oct 2015
Traumatizing events? Absolutely not.
I myself am a rape victim (to an older male cousin of mine when I was around 5), and had an angry alcoholic father, yet I don't have any violent tendencies or thoughts towards anyone. Of course I do know that I'm only one individual and cannot speak for the majority, however, I still stand by my belief an individual (with exception to those with an actual mental illness) should be punished for any crimes that that individual commits.

A person with a mental illness, however, should be put in a mental institution. That's kind of what they're designed for, even if they don't do what they're supposed to do at least they'll keep them from harming anyone else out in normal society.
Dec 16, 2015 6:57 PM

Jan 2015
It can explain it, but not excuse it. You're still an intelligent, conscient human being that can differentiate right from wrong. If you fail to control yourself you have nobody but yourself to blame.
Dec 16, 2015 7:09 PM

Jan 2009
oh you are talking about the Insanity Defense

sure, but i can understand why its a law considering that Insanity makes you not in control of your actions but rather your brain is going wild or having a short circuit that its like you are possess by an evil spirit/demon/being

but the problem i think is that Insanity Defense can be abuse, i heard some cases about Temporary Insanity that suspect for a crime is now mentally healthy but he/she was insane during the crime only so lol a lot of criminals can use this excuse, and worse there is no biomarkers or laboratory/physical diagnosis of mental disorders yet, so for now that Insanity Defense should not be accepted
Dec 16, 2015 7:20 PM

Mar 2012
it depends. i think in that case the focus needs to be on rehabilitation in addition to regular prison. personally i am more in favor of a prison system that helps the criminal reenter society as a non-criminal.

assuming non criminal offenses... if somebody with a mental illness acts out it's up to you how to react. if you want to be more sensitive or forgiving, go for it. if not, whatever. nobody's going to make you
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Dec 16, 2015 7:32 PM

Oct 2009
FlatEight said:

A person with a mental illness, however, should be put in a mental institution. That's kind of what they're designed for, even if they don't do what they're supposed to do at least they'll keep them from harming anyone else out in normal society.

Yes, we should lock up people with PTSD along with people with dementia and anxiety problem.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Dec 16, 2015 7:34 PM
Oct 2014
No. There is a difference between being understood and forgiven. Just because shit has happened to you and we can understand that your action was some kind lf reaction or respond to the past, doesn't mean you are allowed to do the same without consequences.

If, for example, a parent were treated badly as a child, doesn't excuse his bad behavior toward his own child.

Dec 16, 2015 7:35 PM

Mar 2012
Rarusu_ said:
No. There is a difference between being understood and forgiven. Just because shit has happened to you and we can understand that your action was some kind lf reaction or respond to the past, doesn't mean you are allowed to do the same without consequences.

If, for example, a parent were treated badly as a child, doesn't excuse his bad behavior toward his own child.

no, but it's stupid to ignore the link and avoid trying to help people in that situation to change it
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 16, 2015 7:36 PM

May 2012
No. That sets a bad precedent and doesn't encourage understanding.
Dec 16, 2015 7:41 PM
Oct 2014
truisms said:
Rarusu_ said:

no, but it's stupid to ignore the link and avoid trying to help people in that situation to change it

I agree, and particualarly the US is too punishment driven. More focus on rehablitation is needed. But still, you are not excused per se, before you've payed back somehow. Just going with "but shit, you know how bad it was for me", and then go doing some stupid shit again isn't working either.

Dec 16, 2015 7:41 PM

Aug 2015
Absolutely not. Unless they're like, clinically insane or something. But even then they should be locked up in an asylum or something. I'm not going to say motivation doesn't matter at all, but with few exceptions (self defense, blackmail etc.) it's not an excuse. Because either way, the damage is done.

Maybe for things on a very minor scale. Like being a bit pissy or unproductive.
vanishingroseDec 16, 2015 7:44 PM
Dec 16, 2015 8:12 PM

Mar 2012
Rarusu_ said:
truisms said:

I agree, and particualarly the US is too punishment driven. More focus on rehablitation is needed. But still, you are not excused per se, before you've payed back somehow. Just going with "but shit, you know how bad it was for me", and then go doing some stupid shit again isn't working either.

yeah, i agree. i think the current system doesn't work for victims of trauma or those with mental illnesses, but that's more a criticism of the penal system in general. i do think the methods used in our current prison system are more likely to harshly effect those with mental illness or ptsd though.
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Dec 16, 2015 8:38 PM

Nov 2012
I tink it does
Tch!
Dec 16, 2015 8:41 PM

Jul 2015
no
nobody should be above law
Dec 16, 2015 9:38 PM

Jul 2015
No, clinging to an excuse won't make them any better.
Dec 16, 2015 10:13 PM

Jan 2014
No. Excuses do not change much.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Dec 16, 2015 10:46 PM

Nov 2009
Nope.

#DownWithBatteredWifeSyndrome
Dec 17, 2015 12:17 AM

Mar 2008
It would not really excuse it but it would make it more understandable and easier to forgive. Also it really depends on what mental illness you mean because some would lead a person to be unaware of what they are doing. As well as depending on the actions they did. Its really a case by case thing.
Dec 17, 2015 12:22 AM
Oct 2010
Given enough time alive, everyone is a "victim of a traumatizing event". This does not mean anything. Look to the left of you, and to the right of you. You are seeing "victims of traumatizing events" that have not harmed other people in response. They are just not advertising their situation.
hentai_proxyDec 17, 2015 1:41 AM
Dec 17, 2015 12:30 AM

Nov 2015
Actions are judged not by intentions but by their consequences.
Dec 17, 2015 1:45 AM

Mar 2008
PerpetualTrance said:
That is ridiculous. There are plenty of actions that are not bad but can have unforeseen results.
Dec 17, 2015 2:06 AM

Nov 2015
Well my divorce and the deaths of my kids apparently got me off the hook for a drunken hit and run so..... Yes, I personally, do believe whatever the OP was on about because it worked for me

Vor uns liegt MAL, in uns marschiert MAL, und hinter uns, kommt MAL!
Dec 17, 2015 7:20 AM

Jul 2008
Aww dang girl, it's not like I'm tsun for you or anything!

I pretty much agreee, I had a hard life grow up with abusive foster parents and yet I never got excused for my bad actions. In fact, I'm grateful because I turned those bad experiences into something I can learn and grow stronger from.
Dec 17, 2015 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
As someone who was vitim to an abusive relationship due to the individuals mental issues, there is no excuse. I'll give you that sometimes there are different sollutions. For example, someone with PTSD goes off the rail and hurts someone. The solution may not be jail time like if a mentally healthy person did it. It may be medication or, in extreme scenarios, mental health centers. But victimizing people because you were a victim is not right. And if medication, therapy, whatever doesn't help, then steps must be taken to prevent them from furhter hurting others.
Dec 17, 2015 8:09 AM

Nov 2015
traed said:
PerpetualTrance said:
That is ridiculous. There are plenty of actions that are not bad but can have unforeseen results.

Go on, express your tangential claims. If some kid lights the kitchen lighter in his house and that results in his mother's death, then that simply means the mother died because of her kid. Whether the kid is liable for punishment or not varies depending on the moral code.

In matters of morality, I've often observed MAL's extreme ineptitude to understand 'subjectivity' of a morality. Your personal morals apply not to the world. But, of course, there's a general code we all follow that aligns our moralities in a common plane.
Dec 17, 2015 8:19 AM

Nov 2015
Daconator said:
Stating intentions don't matter is observably false, and referring to attempt of murder suffices to dismiss the claim.

But how?
Dec 17, 2015 8:22 AM

Oct 2011
Punishment comes first, remedy comes second.
Dec 17, 2015 8:22 AM

Nov 2015
Daconator said:
PerpetualTrance said:

But how?
Excuse me?

What's even happening?
Dec 17, 2015 8:26 AM

Nov 2015
Daconator said:
PerpetualTrance said:

What's even happening?
I was replying to your post:
PerpetualTrance said:
>.>

Never mind. Got it. the hell's plaguing my mind today

In that case, it would become a sort of a bigger problem. A psychopath obviously wouldn't kill with the intent to kill but rather as enjoyment; so then, may I conclude that the accountability of intentions should also be contextual?
Dec 17, 2015 8:35 AM

Nov 2015
Daconator said:
The intentions to commit a crime are those that matter.

Why's everything you're saying passing over my head today?
Why are my eyes yellow?
Dec 17, 2015 8:38 AM

Nov 2015
Daconator said:
PerpetualTrance said:

Why's everything you're saying passing over my head today?
Why are my eyes yellow?
I know the feeling bro...

Don't. Pity. Me.
Dec 17, 2015 8:56 AM

May 2015
Depending on how much damage they cause, and how much of it is a conscious decision and how much is out of a person control.

A depressed person deciding to beat his wife because he's sad isn't justified. A schizophrenic who's in psychosis and can't recognize his wife and the beats her needs help. It's a grey area, but there are very little mental disorders that should let you out without punishment.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Dec 17, 2015 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
Nilin said:

I shit-talk you only in self-defense tho.
Dec 17, 2015 11:32 AM

Aug 2013
You don't have to accept it, to understand it.
Dec 17, 2015 11:34 AM

Jul 2015
Nilin said:
For example, I heard Shia Lebouf abused his girlfriend or something like that. However, people are trying to defend this by saying "well he was a victim of rape, & it could be some sort of coping mechanism" or something like that.
Also, about like war veterans with PTSD committing murder.

Or with a less extreme case, a person with depression, anger issues, bipolar, etc being emotionally abusive.

I personally don't think so. All that should do is give you a room in a treatment center or something & not directly to a jail cell.

Yes, I think they can be forgiven, but Shia Lebeouf is not a victim of rape lol. He's just a moron.
Dec 17, 2015 11:41 AM

Aug 2013
Chiki said:

Yes, I think they can be forgiven, but Shia Lebeouf is not a victim of rape lol. He's just a moron.

Never be so sure, celebs are people too. The voice behind some of the more iconic Simpsons characters got his head blown off by his drug addicted wife. They're people too. To dismiss any claims of rape based on well they're a celebrity or worse...well hes a man is foolish. Even if it does turn out to be false everyone needs a fair and equal respect.
Dec 17, 2015 11:44 AM
Mar 2013
yes, look at elliot rogers

he is excused of all guilt since he was forced to kill those normies as a result of a society that places value on one's virginity. If anything, Elliott Rogers is a victim
Dec 17, 2015 2:06 PM

Jun 2015
JD2411 said:

he is excused of all guilt since he was forced to kill those normies as a result of a society that places value on one's virginity. If anything, Elliott Rogers is a victim

LMAO
Dec 17, 2015 2:25 PM

Dec 2012
Well if people want to play it that way I like to say that the government is excused of their actions when they punish criminals for their wrongdoings.

Tough shit, that's what life is. I empathize, but I will not be lenient if someone tries to hide behind their scars as an excuse to inflict harm on others. Sympathizing and coddling them just enables the endless cycle of hatred and abuse.
Dec 17, 2015 2:28 PM

Apr 2013
JD2411 said:

kek
Dec 17, 2015 2:29 PM

Oct 2012
Mayuka said:
No - if another party was hurt in the process (abuse, murder, rape, etc.)

Yes, they can slightly be excused but still deserve a punishment - if nobody was hurt in the process (robbery, theft, graffiti, vandalism, public indecency)

Except if it was a 40 year old woman who stabbed another person, then she should be exempted of all charges against her and medical care should be given, because you know, feminism.
Dec 17, 2015 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
I know a 2 depressed people... After about an hour with them I pretty much have to walk away and talk to normal people. One of them is a total ass hole who only cares about himself, gets angry and does stupid shit, acts like everything is his and only his, and I've seen him hit his gf. And the other one is an emotional mess who gets upset for no reason and always figures out a way to ruin a good time.

No I dont think their disorders excuse this
Fuck these people
I think I'm gonna stop talking to them
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

42 by cyandaqil »»
14 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

69 by neol3 »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

63 by cyandaqil »»
24 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - Today

29 by cyandaqil »»
31 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

38 by cody »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.