Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2008 4:46 PM

Dec 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
i didnt really get this episode lol all i saw was a bunch of new characters lol

what did you think?
Mar 6, 2008 11:33 AM

Jul 2007
.hack//unison is the OVA of the first 4 .hack games. it goes in this order.

.hack//sign - .hack//infection,mutation,outbreak,quarintine. - .hack//unison
Everyone's dreams is special, no matter how terribly insignificant or grand it may be,
there's is no difference between any of them
- Ovan -
Dec 12, 2008 6:03 PM

Aug 2008
it sucks that mr player killer is back just as if he never died in hack sign in the first place
Aug 31, 2009 11:51 PM
Feb 2009
ye SORA w000t
Nov 27, 2009 2:01 AM

Oct 2008
Lol I liked how Silver Knight, Sora and Tsukasa were dancing together. XD
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 13, 2011 10:37 AM

May 2009
Okay, first off, this has to be said: If you haven't played the first four .hack games (Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, Quarantine) or read the .hack//Another Birth light novels, this episode will make absolutely no sense to you.

Why it's listed as episode 28 I will never know. Episode 27 takes place after Tsukasa is saved, I think, so that falls in about the right place. However, "Episode 28" is just...weird. It takes place after the games/novels after Sign. Well, both 27 ("Intermezzo") and Unison are OVAs, actually, and not quite tied in with the .hack//Sign series.

I'll explain a few things that are happening here. NOTE: THERE ARE MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR .HACK//SIGN AND THE GAMES AND ANOTHER BIRTH IN THIS POST.

Okay, I'm done with the spoilers now. Not sure if these are really spoilers since Unison is supposed to come after IMOQ/AB anyway.

...oh, and you should read Another Birth if you haven't already. It's quite nice, possibly even better than the Sign series.

----

As for reviewing this episode...it was...meh. Seeing the two casts interact was quite interesting and nice. Seeing Tsukasa and Mia interact was also a very meaningful piece.

However, the episode itself...wasn't very eventful, and the "party" was a bit odd-seeming, albeit understandable. So, overall it was okay I guess.

And you get to see just how similar certain characters are lol. Too bad they didn't also feature more pairs of similar characters.

Anitnelav said:

Yeah, that was pretty funny.
GlennMagusHarveyDec 13, 2011 1:43 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Apr 2, 2013 8:01 AM

Nov 2011
That dance felt kinda cringe worthy.
Oct 22, 2013 10:54 AM

Aug 2012
Lia4ever said:
it sucks that mr player killer is back just as if he never died in hack sign in the first place

Sora didn't die in the first place. It happened to him the same that happened to Ginkan in the beggining.
Anitnelav said:

xD

Sora and his outstading entrances right from the beggining xP love so much his noises and way of talking

Everyone is copying 'our' originals, screw them :< i guess it is because they play the same class-specialization or something. We got to finally see Orca! :o and Kite, the bracelet moment was awkward, hope i get to understand it after watching more series. Why did Aura give it to him? I liked it.
Nov 1, 2013 5:53 AM

Jan 2013
Ergh found out the torrent I uploaded had both sequels (unison, liminality) so once again I was confused as hell when I already watched it. Though Sora was acting a bit too cheeky if you ask me..
Apr 9, 2014 8:09 AM

Nov 2011
pokecenter said:
Lia4ever said:

Sora didn't die in the first place. It happened to him the same that happened to Ginkan in the beggining.

I am curious about that too. Wasn't he used in forming Skeith? That wasn't data drain, but according to you, the effect is the same? How do you know about that? I was surprised to see Sora alive and well again. I thought they left him for dead or some shit, ending the series with a terribly untied knot, but as you say, I guess it would make more sense that way. Though I still want to know an explanation. Or did he regain consciousness in reality just like Tsukasa? Fuck. All these unanswered questions, mysteries, and/or possibly plotholes. Though I don't want to think of them as plotholes. My love for .hack just increased ever more after rewatching.

That aside............

Having played the .hack games on PS2 (though incompletely), It was a great pleasure to see all the characters I've come to know back in those days. I always wondered if Elk was Tsukasa, if BlackRose was Mimiru, if Orca was Bear and shit.

Most especially Helba. Godfucking Helba. Sheeeeeeit KITE SERIOUSLY APPEARED HOLY FUCK

I can't even begin to express how "what is this feeling" I was most especially seeing the new Tsukasa and seeing Tsukasa and Subaru reunite. I'm not the type to say this shit but, I totally ship them together. Godfuckingdamnit they're too sweet, it would be a crime to break them apart. Subaru is such a good girl that she loves Tsukasa beyond her sex.
zetsu_shorenApr 10, 2014 7:54 AM
Jun 13, 2014 1:01 AM

Jul 2008
For those who watched Sign and played all of IMOQ, this OVA is a pure sugar rush.

Tsukasa and Mia or Macha finally reunited, everyone hanging out, so good.

Best line though was the one BT dropped about Sora being a goody goody....oh god if they only knew mainly because if you've played the G.U. games or watched Roots...

When you learn that, there is a complete paradigm shift about Sora and it makes Sora's scenes even better.
Feb 25, 2015 8:22 AM

Aug 2010
Fun little special, nice to see everyone party.
This reminds me that I need to finish the games, though. :(
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Mar 22, 2015 8:17 PM

Dec 2012
Yeaaahh heeeey let's all dance and have a goood tiiime even though I have no idea what just happened. I ended up looking up the plot synopses of the games halfway through and get a very mild gist of what led to this, but I'm still completely out of the loop on the gap between the end of Sign and this. If I can find them really cheap at Gamestop, then I'll pull out my PS2 and give them a go since I'm definitely more interested in this franchise now.

The art felt a bit more modern and the dancing was hilariously wacky, especially Sora. Mind was blown at seeing him crying. And did Bear hook up with BT or something? They seemed strangely intimate. I definitely remember seeing Kite in one of the .hack entries on Cartoon Network or something years ago. That Index looking loli rings a bell too.

Going to say a 6/10, although if I do play the games I'm always willing to up my scores on the .hack entries depending on the big picture.
Dec 2, 2019 4:35 PM

Nov 2016
This was actually quite enjoable. Liked the part where everyone was dancing to the opening lol.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 9, 2020 12:44 AM

May 2012
For those viewers who really needed an 'the end' for the hack sign series, this 28th additional episode from the original series pretty much brought it if you ask me. A lot of course is kept unanswered, but some people just needed something more than what the (for some) quite vague ending the official 26th episode offered. And well this sort of gives you that happy ending you were searching for the general public watching this series I would say.

For the other part these just made things a whole lot more complicated and questionable. But yea the general viewer did got it's end and as a seperate episode it wasn't that bad either.

So all in all a nice 'end' of the first 28th episodes of dot hack.
Oct 4, 2021 5:36 AM

Aug 2018
Pretty decent epilogue.
Nov 28, 2021 8:18 PM

Jun 2016
The dancing in the end cracked me up. Reminds me of the randomness in MMOs I used to play.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.