Forum Settings
Forums

Shinkai Makoto Reveals The Outline of His Next Work [Update Dec 24]

New
Dec 21, 2009 4:57 PM

Feb 2008
According to Anime!Anime!, Shinkai Makoto appeared in an Animate concert of his image album "Promise". He revealed draft concept of his new work. He said it will be the longest full scale anime movie he's ever made and the main character is a cheerful girl, who plays an active part of the story. "We have been depicting the process of parting from a beloved person for the last ten years. Now we are trying to take one step ahead of it. If we get separated from our loves, how can we overcome the situation and what awaits after that? We tackle the question through the vivid girl character".

According to Shinkai's web diary, he set to work on the new movie last May mainly with the staff of 5 Centimeters per Second.

Sources:
Anime!Anime!
Shinkai's web diary

Story by [profile=revolutionary]revolutionary[/profile]

Updated on December 24th
An introductory website of the new movie was launched.

http://www2.odn.ne.jp/~ccs50140/sayonara/index.html

Shinkai said it's a lively movie with adventures, actions, and romance.
myanimelistllcFeb 13, 2016 4:27 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Dec 21, 2009 4:59 PM

Jan 2008
I dont like the idea of it being his longest. Longest doesnt automatically mean better. Especially in anime.

Story-wise, looks like he's making an epilogue to 5 Centimeters Per Second, i.e -
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 21, 2009 5:00 PM

Nov 2008
Sounds good. I love his previous work, and this sounds like it might even top 5cm in terms of theme and story. For me, anyway.
Dec 21, 2009 5:07 PM

Feb 2008
Everything the man does is awesome so this will probably be as well. Too bad it's only a draft concept at this point and we have no idea when it will be finished.
Dec 21, 2009 5:09 PM

Nov 2007
I've liked everything Shinkai has put out so definitely looking forward to this. Really liked 5 Centimeters per Second as well and having most of the staff that worked on it working on this one sounds very promising. Hope it will look as beautiful as 5CpS. I wonder if its got a name yet.
Dec 21, 2009 5:23 PM

Apr 2008
His longest? Not sure if want. Shinkai seems to do better with shorter works - his attempt at a longer film really seemed to drag. I guess I just prefer my Shinkai in small doses. I'll probably watch it anyway for the eye candy.

The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai. You will be honored to accept his invitation.
Dec 21, 2009 5:25 PM
Jan 2009
Pretty much agree with everything that's been said. I loved the art from 5cmps and I'm hoping for something just as great from this.
Dec 21, 2009 5:42 PM

May 2009
Good news for me as Shinkai tends to put out more hits than misses.
Dec 21, 2009 6:01 PM

Oct 2007
TsukikageRan said:
you say that as if he's made something bad
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2009 6:28 PM

Mar 2008
Mirroring Beatnik and Satchii's comments about length not necessarily being indicative of quality (though certainly of confidence or ambition). Place Promised was his weakest major work by far, though it might have been moreso due to his clouded direction than because of its length.

Of course, 5 Centimeters was at first going to have several more parts, but was adumbrated to three. Maybe now we'll see how well he does with a greater allotment of time.
Dec 21, 2009 6:45 PM

Nov 2007
I'm really liking how he's sticking with a theme and progressing it to different tages n each of his films. Any Shinkai is good Shinkai to me so here's to his next project!

Which reminds me, I need to get the Promise album as well.
Dec 21, 2009 7:04 PM

Oct 2008
I've loved everything Shinkai has made so far. No reason for me to expect this to be bad in any way.
Dec 21, 2009 7:26 PM

May 2009
Metroid_Ex said:
TsukikageRan said:
you say that as if he's made something bad

I've mostly rated his works as 10. Although, you're right. For me, he hasn't made anything bad.
Dec 21, 2009 7:36 PM

Jul 2009
Can't be bad. I'll watch for sure.
Dec 21, 2009 7:59 PM

Jan 2009
Well i don't know about it being long=being better. But i like Shinkai a lot so i am pretty excited for this.
Dec 21, 2009 8:46 PM

May 2009
Beatnik said:
Story-wise, looks like he's making an epilogue to 5 Centimeters Per Second, i.e -

The kidnapping, the rape, the drugs, the pregnancy, the cheating, more cheating, the homo-erotic cheating, the death, the whole lot of characters, the crying, then the "lolwtfjusthappened", and finally pull off a lolgainax.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 21, 2009 8:46 PM

May 2008
though good news, it's also bittersweet in that it will be a long wait for the quality... since it'll be a while, I'm happy enough to know he's working on something and it will be a good watch.

I am a banana.
Dec 21, 2009 8:53 PM

Nov 2008
Beatnik said:
I dont like the idea of it being his longest. Longest doesnt automatically mean better. Especially in anime.

wow
Dec 21, 2009 8:56 PM

May 2007
Unless this is a direct sequel of 5CM that explains what was going on during the AMV ending I am not interested, the guy is the beneficiary of great animation and ONE, I repeat ONE type of plot, he said it himself.
My anime list
Dec 21, 2009 9:25 PM

Dec 2009
sounds good to me...always liked all his work...
Dec 21, 2009 9:38 PM

Mar 2007
All Shinkai's work is ever good for are desktop wallpapers, so I'm not really interested now that my computer is broken.
Dec 22, 2009 2:22 AM

Sep 2008
qtipbrit said:
Place Promised was his weakest major work by far, though it might have been moreso due to his clouded direction than because of its length.

I have to disagree with that. It's by far the best work of Shinkai, in almost every aspect - direction, storyline, depth of the characters, etc. I guess it's also the most successful and critically acclaimed work of his, getting him Mainichi Animation Grand Award as well as many others.
mitamaking said:
the guy is the beneficiary of great animation and ONE, I repeat ONE type of plot, he said it himself.

Miyazaki is the same. Oshii Mamoru is the same. Shirow Masamune is the same. Kon Satoshi is mostly the same as well. All works of these guys are focused on the same type of plot/situation/conflict/etc. The difference is that some of them explore different possibilities of executing that plot, and some don't. Shinkai does.
Dec 22, 2009 2:51 AM

Mar 2008
That guy can't do something bad, that's not possible ;) Everything he does is a masterpiece, he's a god! :p
Dec 22, 2009 4:16 AM

Dec 2007
I hope this experience goes better than the Place Promised etc. Also, I think this is the first time he puts the story on the perspective of the girl which, by itself, is already a really big change.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Dec 22, 2009 5:09 AM

Jan 2008
fanty said:
All Shinkai's work is ever good for are desktop wallpapers, so I'm not really interested now that my computer is broken.

Haha, you just made MAL Quote of 2009 in my blog. Well done.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Dec 22, 2009 6:33 AM

Sep 2009
I hope it will be as good as his previous works.
Dec 22, 2009 8:11 AM
Mar 2008
Awesome! I've been waiting for this for ages!

ladyxzeus said:
Also, I think this is the first time he puts the story on the perspective of the girl which, by itself, is already a really big change.

Cosmonaut, the second part of 5cm/s was from the perspective of a girl, though it is a fairly small part.
Dec 23, 2009 1:22 AM

Apr 2009
sooo looking forward to this~ xD
Dec 23, 2009 2:16 AM

Sep 2007
i'm really looking forward to this new movie

[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Haru&sclick=1]
Dec 23, 2009 2:19 AM

Sep 2007
do anyone see the trailer of this..? or does it have a trailer already :|

[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/_Haru&sclick=1]
Dec 23, 2009 7:21 PM

Mar 2008
Motoharu said:

I don't think any production work has been done, it sounds like he's still drafting his screenplay.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Dec 24, 2009 6:49 AM

Feb 2008
Motoharu said:

An introduction website opened.
"Sayonara" introduction website
"A girl heads for a journey to say Sayonara"
Dec 24, 2009 7:44 AM

Sep 2008
So, do I get it right that it would be something oriented for slightly younger audience than his previous works? The artwork partially proves that too...looks a bit childish to me.
Dec 24, 2009 7:58 AM

Sep 2007
dtshyk said:
Motoharu said:

Just curious, can you tell me what's written in japanese in the header and explain it? I read it like Shoujo ga mukau no wa, "sayonara" o iu tame no tabi . Your translation makes perfect sense, I'm just curious about what "mukau no wa" could mean.
Dec 24, 2009 4:33 PM

Mar 2008
seishi-sama said:
So, do I get it right that it would be something oriented for slightly younger audience than his previous works? The artwork partially proves that too...looks a bit childish to me.

You know that's concept art right?
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Dec 24, 2009 5:14 PM

Feb 2008
Dax said:
dtshyk said:
Motoharu said:

Just curious, can you tell me what's written in japanese in the header and explain it? I read it like Shoujo ga mukau no wa, "sayonara" o iu tame no tabi . Your translation makes perfect sense, I'm just curious about what "mukau no wa" could mean.

The direct translation is "It's a journey to say Sayonara that the girl heads for."
mukau (heads for) nowa (It's ... that)
Dec 25, 2009 2:33 AM

Sep 2008
ShadowAlex said:
seishi-sama said:

You know that's concept art right?

Yeah, man, I know, I know. But I was referring more to what Makoto wrote on that page, especially this little passage starting with "doujini, amari muzukashii" or whatever it's pronounced like.
Dec 25, 2009 2:41 AM

Apr 2008
Although i adore his works; I do think that perhaps it would have been best to chooese a more original theme for a new anime. Most of his anime (if not all) are about special kinds of relationships and picking something original now and then might have been a good idea.
Jan 5, 2010 4:48 PM
Apr 2008
Sohei said:
Although i adore his works; I do think that perhaps it would have been best to chooese a more original theme for a new anime. Most of his anime (if not all) are about special kinds of relationships and picking something original now and then might have been a good idea.

Nah, I have to disagree here. He should be allowed to do whatever he wants. If his fans want to see a different story, they should look to a different show or director; there are plenty of those around.
Mar 11, 2010 2:39 AM

Jan 2010
The movie looks promising. Love his previous work.
Mar 11, 2010 2:49 AM
Jun 2008
dtshyk said:

You mean like all his other movies...?
Mar 11, 2010 3:14 AM

Jul 2008
tehnominator said:
dtshyk said:

You mean like all his other movies...?

It could have been a deathly movie with no action, no adventure, no romance, and 90 solid minutes of the characters picking blueberries on a farm.
Mar 13, 2010 9:44 AM

Mar 2008
Let's just hope that this movie does not drag in dev hell, heh.
Mar 19, 2010 7:50 AM
Nov 2008
Detective said:
Can't be bad. I'll watch for sure.
Mar 21, 2010 3:17 PM

Jul 2008
He won't let anybody down is my belief
Apr 2, 2010 11:55 AM

Mar 2009
If he somehow manages to meet or exceed the quality of Place Promised, I will forever be in his debt.

Even if it's only 5 Centimeter quality (which is still very good), I will love it.

It will be interesting. Three is about as long as you can get away with works that are similar in mood and feeling conveyed, unless you are really, really good.
Apr 24, 2010 8:31 PM

Nov 2008
His work all sounds like a same story with different setting.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

6 by DarkDooM2 »»
4 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
8 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
Yesterday, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.