Forum Settings
Forums

What's exactly Forced Romance means? And why is it unacceptable?

New
Oct 25, 2015 9:40 PM

Jun 2015
This concept is occasionally mentioned in romance anime reviews and discussion boards where some critics use it.
Oct 25, 2015 9:42 PM

Jul 2012
It's when the romance seems out of place and unnecessary in the show, because people expected the show to focus on other things rather than, y'know, honeymoons and fishing dates.
Oct 25, 2015 9:42 PM

Nov 2014
When there is a Romance for the sake of the plot advancement.
---
It's not that bad compared to romance that goes no where, like in Detective Conan.

Oct 25, 2015 9:53 PM

Mar 2015
author don't give a fuck about it pairings, almost end "wait, we need some romance!" and boom.

wait, you use SAO as example? are people serious? romance in SAO IS NOT FORCED! the harem... well it is.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 25, 2015 9:54 PM

Nov 2014
absentminded said:
author don't give a fuck about it pairings, almost end "wait, we need some romance!" and boom.
Don't forget to add forced babies.

Oct 25, 2015 9:54 PM

Feb 2013
I'm not too sure. It makes me think of Mirai Nikki with Amano Yukiteru and Gasai Yuno though.

But yeah actually,
mayukachan said:
It's when the romance seems out of place and unnecessary in the show, because people expected the show to focus on other things rather than, y'know, honeymoons and fishing dates.

that makes sense and it's probably why the term is being used.
Oct 25, 2015 9:56 PM

Mar 2015
ExTamplier said:
absentminded said:
i don't mind about it TBH.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 25, 2015 11:21 PM

Feb 2015
Forced romance is a euphemism for rape.
Oct 25, 2015 11:26 PM

May 2012
devinder said:

Fuck, you beat me to it.
Oct 25, 2015 11:43 PM

Aug 2015
devinder said:

lol, good one ;P.

Oct 25, 2015 11:59 PM

Apr 2013
If you're just searching the meaning behind those words on MAL, then there's no need to go that far.
"Forced romance" is used most of the time on MAL by peoples simply unhappy about seeing a romance they didn't want to see. Either because they have a fixed opinion about what type of story romance should be in or not, or because they simply don't like romance story. Either way, they're unhappy when romance suddenly pop in their anime and they didn't expect nor wanted it to come.

As usual, part of MAL is trying to give pretentious (or pejorative) terms to their own opinion and biased views.
Liking something the majority don't like is being elitist,
a romance they didn't want to see is a forced romance,
when the plot is too smart for them they don't say they didn't understand and ask for an explanation, but instead that it's pretentious,
when an explanation is too much for their short attention spawn it's lazy writing or bad exposition,
When they didn't pay enough attention to see the connection between a plot twist and the foreshadowing it's an asspull,
When they didn't pay enough attention to see the connection between a plot twist and the elements explaining it it's a plot hole,
When a female character's outfit isn't covering her from feet to the head without showing skin if they don't like it it's bad character design made just for otaku pandering,
When they're unsatisfied because there isn't enough action to keep their short attention spawn from being bored, the pacing is bad,
and so on.

I heavily suggest that you just take "forced romance" when you encountered on MAL for what it is most of the time : the guy who wrote that didn't like that romance, or don't like romance in general. Most of the time, those "pretentious" terms are very interesting for them because it allow them to avoid having to give an explanation for their judgement/opinion. If they say the romance is bad, then why is it bad? But if they say it's forced romance, then they feel exempted to say it. Which is good since lots of time the only reason they feel it's bad is that they didn't like it, so explanation about why it's bad would embarrass them~
Plus they feel it makes look them smart when they write it on a review.

NB : Another thing needed on a review to be taken seriously when the plot has lots of plot twist is saying that the plot was predictable, even if you predicted in reality 1 out of 10 plot twist across the anime, it is predictable. You wouldn't want other thinking that you're too stupid to see where things were going from the first second you started watching the anime, would you.
Even better, you can complain about the plot insulting your mighty intelligence and how it was too easy to guess, lolz.
ZefyrisOct 26, 2015 12:06 AM
Oct 26, 2015 12:08 AM

Nov 2009
>What's exactly Forced Romance means?
Any kind of romance the reviewer feels shouldn't have happened in the show for in-universe reasons, and was purely forced into the world by the author for out-of-universe reasons. This can also apply to romances that progress unnaturally fast.

Of course, it's a very subjective evaluation. Partly because different people have different ideas as to how romance should work (have you ever fell in love at first sight? Do you believe it actually happens in real life?). Partly because viewers expect different amount of attention to romance in a given series (does a story about saving the world need romance at all? maybe we should just show the hero married to this cute sorceress in the epilogue?)

Having more than one of Forced Romance happen in a short time to one character is a reason to call the character a Mary Sue. Unless it's a harem anime/manga/LN, in which case it's just badly written.
Oct 26, 2015 12:10 AM

Jun 2015
Nihilfist said:
devinder said:

Fuck, you beat me to it.
likewise
Oct 26, 2015 12:12 AM

Jun 2015
a gr8 [used #$@%$&] example would be the shit yu x nao in charlotte
Oct 26, 2015 2:20 AM

May 2015
A romance that contributes nothing to the characters and the story (it could've done without it). It's also one where the personalities aren't involved. They just love each other. We don't see how their personalities connect. They're in love because the creators said so.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 26, 2015 2:21 AM

Jul 2012
KuroudoAkabane said:
a gr8 [used #$@%$&] example would be the shit yu x nao in charlotte
I agree. Didn't think it was needed at all. However I know a lot of people did ship them, God knows why.
Oct 26, 2015 2:25 AM

Sep 2014
I think Naruto/Hinata is a forced romance. I mean, really forced...

I know It's a shonen, but come on! Since the final arc has begun, every shot on Hinata was dedicated to her feelings for Naruto, even in the worst situation to think about it.

And the Last Movie is even worse...
Every part on this movie is to tell "Look! They're in couple! You must love this fact!" and where everybody is obsessed with this stupid scarf who is the symbol of Naruto and Hinata relation

Or the fact they're DESTINED to be together because of their ancestors...
DESTINED? In Naruto? That wasn't the same mistake the last arcs have done about the "Do not believe in destiny or everything is already decided and you can't change it!"

In this case, I hate this forced romance because It's not over-the-top cheesy, It's brainwashing and craps on the main message of the story...
Oct 26, 2015 2:26 AM

Mar 2015
Zefyris said:
If you're just searching the meaning behind those words on MAL, then there's no need to go that far.
"Forced romance" is used most of the time on MAL by peoples simply unhappy about seeing a romance they didn't want to see. Either because they have a fixed opinion about what type of story romance should be in or not, or because they simply don't like romance story. Either way, they're unhappy when romance suddenly pop in their anime and they didn't expect nor wanted it to come.

As usual, part of MAL is trying to give pretentious (or pejorative) terms to their own opinion and biased views.
when the plot is too smart for them they don't say they didn't understand and ask for an explanation, but instead that it's pretentious,
when an explanation is too much for their short attention spawn it's lazy writing or bad exposition,
When they didn't pay enough attention to see the connection between a plot twist and the foreshadowing it's an asspull,
When they didn't pay enough attention to see the connection between a plot twist and the elements explaining it it's a plot hole,
When a female character's outfit isn't covering her from feet to the head without showing skin if they don't like it it's bad character design made just for otaku pandering,
When they're unsatisfied because there isn't enough action to keep their short attention spawn from being bored, the pacing is bad,
and so on.

I heavily suggest that you just take "forced romance" when you encountered on MAL for what it is most of the time : the guy who wrote that didn't like that romance, or don't like romance in general. Most of the time, those "pretentious" terms are very interesting for them because it allow them to avoid having to give an explanation for their judgement/opinion. If they say the romance is bad, then why is it bad? But if they say it's forced romance, then they feel exempted to say it. Which is good since lots of time the only reason they feel it's bad is that they didn't like it, so explanation about why it's bad would embarrass them~

NB : Another thing needed on a review to be taken seriously when the plot has lots of plot twist is saying that the plot was predictable, even if you predicted in reality 1 out of 10 plot twist across the anime, it is predictable. You wouldn't want other thinking that you're too stupid to see where things were going from the first second you started watching the anime, would you.
Even better, you can complain about the plot insulting your mighty intelligence and how it was too easy to guess, lolz.

I agree...people sometimes take themselves a bit too seriously.
Oct 26, 2015 2:26 AM

Sep 2015
Unacceptable is a strong word. The term disliked is more appropriate.
Oct 26, 2015 3:43 AM

Jun 2015
absentminded said:

wait, you use SAO as example? are people serious? romance in SAO IS NOT FORCED! the harem... well it is.

Well...It's the second popular animes -in MAL-, making it the most popular romance anime -in MAL-?
ExTamplier said:
absentminded said:

lol does dragon ball count?
Zefyris said:

and so on.

+2
I agree with this. thanks for the contribution, Appreciated!
Dresta said:
Unacceptable is a strong word. The term disliked is more appropriate.

lol I decided to change the word "Dislike" because it's overused in AD
Oct 26, 2015 3:45 AM

Apr 2014
Romance that doesn't feel natural.
Oct 26, 2015 4:23 AM

Jul 2015
Watch Elfen Lied and laugh.
Oct 26, 2015 4:35 AM

May 2014
A Forced Romance is any that does not follow naturally from how the characters interact and simply exists for the sake of existing.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
Oct 26, 2015 4:49 AM

Feb 2013
Balong said:

I know It's a shonen, but come on! Since the final arc has begun, every shot on Hinata was dedicated to her feelings for Naruto, even in the worst situation to think about it.

Every part on this movie is to tell "Look! They're in couple! You must love this fact!" and where everybody is obsessed with this stupid scarf who is the symbol of Naruto and Hinata relation

DESTINED? In Naruto? That wasn't the same mistake the last arcs have done about the "Do not believe in destiny or everything is already decided and you can't change it!"

In this case, I hate this forced romance because It's not over-the-top cheesy, It's brainwashing and craps on the main message of the story...

NaruHina is practically fanservice, the majority of the fandom wanted it, they got it.

Oct 26, 2015 5:10 AM

Sep 2011
badwolf45f said:
Balong said:

NaruHina is practically fanservice, the majority of the fandom wanted it, they got it.
I feel that it wasn't completely forced because we knew how Hinata felt and she did express it to Naruto slowly throughout the whole series. Where I personally feel it was lacking, was Naruto's return of her feelings. There could've and should've (imo) been more scenes where he notices her more so that it creates a gradual return of her feelings leading up to his dense-realization-breakthrough. Oh but I'm a Hinata x Naruto fan (always was from the first time we saw Hinata had a thing for Naruto XD haha) so I'm still probably biased lol
Oct 26, 2015 5:31 AM

Feb 2015
Bocu No Pico but oposite.
Oct 26, 2015 5:56 AM

Feb 2013
riho88riho said:
feel that it wasn't completely forced because we knew how Hinata felt and she did express it to Naruto slowly throughout the whole series. Where I personally feel it was lacking, was Naruto's return of her feelings. There could've and should've (imo) been more scenes where he notices her more so that it creates a gradual return of her feelings leading up to his dense-realization-breakthrough. Oh but I'm a Hinata x Naruto fan (always was from the first time we saw Hinata had a thing for Naruto XD haha) so I'm still probably biased lol

Well, we all knew how Naruto felt about Sakura the whole series, if Narusaku would have become canon would you say it wasnt forced? thing is, Naruto is a shonen it didnt focus on romance that much or enough for any pairing to not felt forced, the fact that Kishi needed a movie to show how NaruHina becomes canon is proof enough that it was forced and again fanservice.

Oct 26, 2015 6:02 AM

Jun 2015
When two characters without any chemistry between them end up together, I also consider that forced romance (aside from all the stuff that you guys have already mentioned). And it's one of the things that I hate the most in anime, shows or movies.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Oct 26, 2015 7:25 AM

Oct 2015
It's something I really hate, and it ruins series for me.
Oct 26, 2015 8:06 AM

Jul 2013
Forced romance

>Pairings I don't like

Not forced romance

>Pairings I like
Oct 26, 2015 8:08 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
When characters suddenly fall in love completely out of nowhere just because the author was desperate to include romance elements somewhere in the plot
Oct 26, 2015 8:12 AM

May 2015
daky-kun said:
When two characters without any chemistry between them end up together, I also consider that forced romance (aside from all the stuff that you guys have already mentioned). And it's one of the things that I hate the most in anime, shows or movies.

That's the worst type. If the romance story makes sense for the characters' personalities but isn't very related to the story, I can forgive that. It at least grows out of the characters and develops them.

One that only exists for no reason is just filler.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 26, 2015 8:13 AM

Oct 2008
Tenshi_Shura said:
Forced romance

>Pairings I don't like

Not forced romance

>Pairings I like

Top kek
Oct 26, 2015 8:17 AM

Nov 2013
another form of asspull but in the sense of romance. Yui and Hinata in angel beats is example like this.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 26, 2015 8:34 AM

Apr 2011
It's annoying when a character falls in love with someone they just met and don't even know.
Oct 26, 2015 8:36 AM

Nov 2014
Tenshi_Shura said:
Forced romance

>Pairings I don't like

Not forced romance

>Pairings I like
Oct 26, 2015 8:38 AM

Nov 2013
Niddy said:
It's annoying when a character falls in love with someone they just met and don't even know.

Like it ever happens in anime?
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 26, 2015 12:20 PM
Jul 2018
Usually when you just throw in two characters and have them fall in love without suitable moments for them to bond.

Putting the cart before the horse and all that good stuff.

More topics from this board

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 26 minutes ago

4 by alexw1020 »»
2 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 5 minutes ago

0 by TsutanaiFuun »»
5 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 10 hours ago

17 by Jackson1333 »»
8 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

37 by Jackson1333 »»
19 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Today

38 by Jackson1333 »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.