Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 24, 2015 7:08 AM

Oct 2012
So my coworkers and I are having a debate on whether or not internet friends are "real friends". Internet friends would be defined as the people that you have bonded with and regularly interact with through forums, online gaming, blogs, etc... You may or may not know what they look like, what their real names are or have ever met them in person.

So the question is, can someone be defined as a friend if you have never seen them or interacted with them in real face-to-face life? Do you think internet friends are real friends?

I don't consider anyone I haven't met a 'real friend', but rather a second-tier kind of friend.

Discuss.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 24, 2015 7:11 AM

Aug 2015
Harsh truth;
No.

No one on the internet actually knows you.
They are not your friends, you are not their friend.
To think otherwise is childish.
Sep 24, 2015 7:19 AM

May 2015
Yes, I have a few.
Sep 24, 2015 7:19 AM
Jun 2015
Yes. We all your friend here
Sep 24, 2015 7:22 AM

Sep 2014
Yes and no.

I've always found online friendships to be a lot more brittle than real ones. You never know when your online buddy might just suddenly get bored of you and stop communicating out of the blue, has happened to me quite a few times, even when I new them for a while.

The same can happen with real-life friendships of course, but it doesn't happen as often in my experience.
Sep 24, 2015 7:23 AM

Mar 2014
Dunno. Ask my friends.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Sep 24, 2015 7:23 AM

Oct 2012
DawnBreak said:

who the fuck are you?

Some nobody with only 6 posts is not my friend.
Sep 24, 2015 7:25 AM

Apr 2014
What's considered to be a 'friend' is totally up to the individual person. Just because there may be no one on the internet who you've liked enough or made such of an impact on you doesn't mean someone else hasn't found someone who has. Friend is a lose word anyways, there's nothing in it's definition saying that it has to be purely physical.
Sep 24, 2015 7:26 AM
Jun 2015
Tsuyuu said:
DawnBreak said:

who the fuck are you?

How much post i need to become your friend?
Sep 24, 2015 7:28 AM

Oct 2012
DawnBreak said:
Tsuyuu said:

who the fuck are you?

How much post i need to become your friend?

gtfo scrub
Sep 24, 2015 7:29 AM

Aug 2013
Of course they are, and thinking otherwise is old-fashioned and backward.

I've met a ton of good people on the Internet that I've had meaningful friendships with, and that have helped me improve as a person. I don't really differentiate between 'online' and 'irl' friends. I have some online friends that I value more than my irl friends, and vice versa. It makes no difference where they live so long as I consider them to be actual friends, and not just a bunch of randoms. Some of my online friends probably know more about me than any of my real life friends anyway, lol. I've even received postcards and boxes of candy in the mail, which solidifies the idea that we're something more than just online acquaintances. Exchanging local candy is always fun.

So yeah, it's irrelevant whether you're an offline or online friend. Saying stuff like, 'you don't really know them' is retarded, because newsflash: a metric fuckton of irl acquaintances aren't who you think that they are either. It all boils down to individual people, and distance is irrelevant in my equation of what constitutes friendship. The only advantage of having friends close to you is that it is more convenient if I needed a favor or something, but besides that I don't care. It's the same thing anyway - people that connect with other people. Today we have the technology to communicate and connect with people from all over the world, and I'm one of those people that like to take advantage of that.
MoogSep 24, 2015 7:33 AM
Sep 24, 2015 7:30 AM

May 2012
Sep 24, 2015 7:32 AM
Jun 2015
Moog- said:

I've met a ton of good people on the Internet that I've had meaningful friendships with, and that have helped me improve as a person. I don't really differentiate between 'online' and 'irl' friends. I have some online friends that I value more than my irl friends, and vice versa. It makes no difference where they live so long as I consider them to be actual friends, and not just a bunch of randoms. Some of my online friends probably know more about me than any of my real life friends anyway, lol. I've even received postcards and boxes of candy in the mail, which solidifies the idea that we're something more than just online acquaintances. Exchanging local candy is always fun.

So yeah, it's irrelevant whether you're an offline or online friend. Saying stuff like, 'you don't really know them' is retarded, because newsflash: a metric fuckton of irl acquaintances aren't who you think that they are either. It all boils down to individual people, and distance is irrelevant in my equation of what constitutes friendship. The only advantage with the former is that it is more convenient if I needed a favor or something, but besides that I don't care. It's the same thing anyway - people that connect with other people.

Nice life you have there
Sep 24, 2015 7:34 AM

Jun 2015
Of course.
Sep 24, 2015 7:35 AM

Sep 2014
not in my eyes
Sep 24, 2015 7:37 AM

Mar 2008
They are no less friends than those in person. Sometimes they are better.

Although I'm not sure anymore if real friends even really exist since it seems everyone is just an endless patter of abuse and betrayal.
:/
Sep 24, 2015 7:38 AM

Dec 2012
Experience has taught me that they're not.

Friend as a term is used very loosely these days. Apparently any random you add to your social network accounts counts as one, or that guy that you play with online.

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 24, 2015 7:51 AM

Aug 2014
Depends. I've met up with 2 MAL friends irl ^^
Sep 24, 2015 8:00 AM

Jan 2015
Moog- said:

So yeah, it's irrelevant whether you're an offline or online friend. Saying stuff like, 'you don't really know them' is retarded, because newsflash: a metric fuckton of irl acquaintances aren't who you think that they are either. It all boils down to individual people, and distance is irrelevant in my equation of what constitutes friendship. The only advantage of having friends close to you is that it is more convenient if I needed a favor or something, but besides that I don't care. It's the same thing anyway - people that connect with other people. Today we have the technology to communicate and connect with people from all over the world, and I'm one of those people that like to take advantage of that.
+1
Sep 24, 2015 8:11 AM

Jun 2011
It depends on how close we are. I don't open up easily but if I feel I can trust the person then I would definitely put friends I met online in the same category as my RL friends. The same criteria applies to RL friends, I don't really differentiate between the two. Friends are still friends, regardless of how far we are from each other.

Moog- said:
I've even received postcards and boxes of candy in the mail, which solidifies the idea that we're something more than just online acquaintances. Exchanging local candy is always fun.
This sounds like a lot of fun actually. I love trying out different kinds of candy.
SolosSep 24, 2015 8:16 AM

Sep 24, 2015 8:13 AM

Oct 2013
They are different. Can't be bothered to elaborate more.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Sep 24, 2015 8:51 AM

Aug 2013
SnugglyWhuggly said:
Yes and no.

I've always found online friendships to be a lot more brittle than real ones. You never know when your online buddy might just suddenly get bored of you and stop communicating out of the blue, has happened to me quite a few times, even when I new them for a while.

The same can happen with real-life friendships of course, but it doesn't happen as often in my experience.

Exactly! In this sense my experiences are the same.
Sep 24, 2015 1:41 PM

Dec 2012
baskervillain said:
Infatuate said:

Friend as a term is used very loosely these days. Apparently any random you add to your social network accounts counts as one, or that guy that you play with online.

i don't think we're talking about the term itself, but the relationship associated with the term. given the relationship, should they still be considered friends despite the fact that they're only conversed with online? or are you saying that all online "friendships" are shallow, regardless of the state/quality of their relationship?

Well I've never found someone I'd consider a true friend online. I'm sure they exist though.

Lots of acquaintances however ^^

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Sep 24, 2015 1:44 PM

Jul 2011
No
Sep 24, 2015 1:45 PM

Aug 2015
You must be delusional if you think they are.
Sep 24, 2015 1:48 PM

Jul 2007
I prefer the friends I've made on the internet to most of my 'real life' friends.
Sep 24, 2015 1:56 PM

May 2013
What, because someone interacts with you via a screen that makes them less of a person now?

A friend is a friend. Doesn't matter where you find them.
Sep 24, 2015 1:57 PM

Aug 2013
Nah most 'friendships' are little more than a persona knowing a persona. Its better if you chat through skype and stuff but it won't be the same as a real life friendship because you will always have that separation of just been online friends can't like hang out, go for a beer ect ect just talk online.
Sep 24, 2015 1:58 PM

Apr 2012
Yes, duh.

I don't consider "friends" someone you say "hi" daily and that's it though. I'm talking about someone you really do feel a "connection" and can actually talk with about mostly anything. This is both for IRL friends and Internet friends.

I have bonded with a lot people on the internet so to dismiss them is stupid just because their physical presence isn't there. Heck, 2 of my internet friends are 2 of my best friends.

The downside is that people can disappear from the internet due to being busy/working/moving/stop using a social media so it's easier to disconnect with them, but this kind of stuff also kinda happens in real life to a lesser extent anyway.
Sep 24, 2015 2:23 PM
Jul 2018
Of course they're real friends, especially if you talk to them every day.
Sep 24, 2015 2:38 PM

Jun 2015
I guess, but it's still better to hang out with people in person.

I respect your opinion as long as you respect mine.
Sep 24, 2015 2:43 PM

Feb 2013
All internet friends are in fact Lucifer himself.
Sep 24, 2015 2:47 PM

Mar 2014
Yes

Everyone is my best friend
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Sep 24, 2015 2:50 PM

Jul 2012
Like IRL friends, not everyone is my true friend nor guaranteed to be one. It's hard keeping connected with online friends especially because you run out of things to talk about or do.
Sep 24, 2015 2:51 PM

Aug 2012
i see the people i meet online as like 'temporary acquaintances'. if by any chance i stay acquainted with them for a significantly long period of time then yeah i'd call them friends. i'm more than happy with my social situation irl and i much prefer it to online
Sep 24, 2015 2:58 PM

Feb 2015
Friends are friends, I don't see any difference between IRL and internet friends.
Sure, internet friends could be harder to maintain for a longer time but that doesn't make them just some strangers.
:::|| ---A N I M E L I S T--- || ---M A N G A L I S T--- || ---S I G N A T U R E S--- || ---C A R D S--- ||:::
Sep 24, 2015 3:04 PM
Jul 2018
Yes.
Sep 24, 2015 3:11 PM

Feb 2015
Infatuate said:

Same here. You don't really know someone until you meet them in person.
Sep 24, 2015 3:16 PM

Aug 2010
Scavrefamn said:
Harsh truth;
No.

No one on the internet actually knows you.
They are not your friends, you are not their friend.
To think otherwise is childish.

This. I consider someone a friend when they have come to my house and I to theirs
Sep 24, 2015 3:17 PM

Jan 2013
Yes and no.
Sep 24, 2015 3:22 PM
Jul 2018
Sometimes, it depends on the people involved :p
Sep 24, 2015 3:28 PM

Dec 2012
Friends are friends... there is no such thing as "real friends".

Though you are usually not as deebly connected with internet friends as IRL friends and therefore they might not be as good either.

Last week I was talking with one of my old girl classmates and she said: "So, have you found some friends in your new study? I mean real friends, that you have meet with after school" and I remember thinking "Why the hell can't they be real friends even if I've only meet with them at school?!?" (I didn't say anything though)
Sep 24, 2015 3:33 PM
May 2015
Sep 24, 2015 3:48 PM

Dec 2013
Friends made IRL or online are still people, so what exacly makes a person we met IRL diferent then a person we met online?

It's certain that some ppl create alias online but if you know that person long enough and you get to bound / trust them, i'm pretty sure you will end up geting to know a bit of the "core" of that person.

After all, those people "you met online" also have friends they met IRL, but in the end they are all people.
Sep 24, 2015 3:48 PM

Sep 2012
yup. just because the mode of communication is different doesn't make them any less of a friend.
Sep 24, 2015 3:59 PM

Oct 2012
Yes.

Sep 24, 2015 4:01 PM
May 2015
It depends, I think they *can* but generally aren't.

I think they need to sustain for a long enough period of time, extend beyond a single "thing" (like a single site or game), and you communicate away from the Internet such as having phone numbers, addresses and even have met face to face.

In other words, I think they are inherently fragile and disconnected. However, it is possible for them to become real friends.
Shameless plugging a review site I help out with: http://www.almostmainstream.net
Sep 24, 2015 4:17 PM

Aug 2013
of course

i think friendships over the internet might sometimes take longer to build because it's harder to gain trust and stuff but it can and does happen all the time
Sep 24, 2015 4:18 PM
Mar 2013
I don't distinguish between them. A friend is a friend regardless of circumstances.
Sep 24, 2015 4:18 PM

May 2009
If it never goes pass the point of just talking on the site you met then no I don't think the two would be considered real friends.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

29 by MalchikRepaid »»
37 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

44 by Kiryotsu »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

27 by MalchikRepaid »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

42 by zzz »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

20 by blueblur »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.