Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 20, 2015 4:51 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This movies was probably the saddest out of the unofficial trilogy, since unlike Gotou ni Naritai where the girl only has physical handicap, in this movie the girl had both mental and physical handicaps, that are really severe. So there were parts where she was freaking out because she was scared of dying (after her best friend died).

I feel like the ending was a bit foreshadowed with the events, but I didn't want to believe it will really happen. I really wanted Momoko to watch Riki's competition and go to Universal Studio with her family. But when you see her cheer on her brother near the end, you already know the outcome.

Can't say what my favorite out of the three was, but I recommend everyone who watched this to check them out as well. Both are recs for this movie, Gotou ni Naritai and Happy Birthday Inochi Kagayaku Toki.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Sep 1, 2015 12:11 PM

Jul 2010
I was just searching for movies to watch and recently found this to be translated and decided to watch this....and now I'm sad and depressed but it truly was unique, never seen an anime with themes of handicap both mentally and physically. Was definitely worth my time.
Sep 13, 2015 7:48 AM

Apr 2013
That was very nice. A good way to end my night.

Momoko's character was very strong. The overall sports analogy for Momoko's strength was nice as well, though I feel that that's been overdone a bit in the past but eh it doesn't matter so much (talking about the relay), and her development in the lessons at the school (both the formal school and the school for the handicapped) was really inspiring.

The movie's angle on the handicap was quite interesting actually and delving into the social elements of it were probably the details about the show that I appreciated the most. Particularly with Riki trying to cope with growing up in such an environment (and after that little spout earlier on in the movie where he said "I wish Momoko wasn't born" - and only came to realize shortly after that his parents care for both him and Momoko greatly) was a nice a detail to add, and shows a real sense of responsibility and maturation as the film progressed showing itself also in his interactions with Ryuuji.

I also really liked the teacher, he was great, Mr. Godzilla, lol, he might even turn out to be a favourite character of mine, he was very diplomatic and charismatic as well. It was excellent for him to explain that there is definitely a lot to be learnt from becoming acquainted with people with disabilities. It has an empathy through experience quality to it which is something I definitely agree on - how else are you not able to know about something or truly appreciate the value of something (especially when its another human life) if you aren't adequately acquainted with such things.

This shows most prominently Ryuuji's growth throughout the movie. Who is influenced by the ideological under-handing's of his father. The small detail about Ryuuji being really nice in preschool and the first year of primary school was an interesting point to be made as well on that matter.

Good movie, will recommend.

Initially a 7/10 but I'll raise it to an 8/10 cause this is the stuff I really like.
Dec 20, 2015 5:36 PM

Sep 2010
oh man the feels at the end. i have a soft spot for the kind of media that tackles medical problems especially handicaps or mental challenged people (to date i am sam is the only movie that makes me weep like a lil bitch), which was one of the reasons i went for a degree in nursing.
to me it's beautiful that some kids with this kind of disabilities just smile and laugh as f they had no problem at all, just like momoko, a girl that despite having a serious disability, managed to cheer everyone arround her. the creators were spot on depicting his rother in the begining being ashamed to bring her sister to the school, because not only they would make fun of her, but also of him , for having a retard sister (as shown in the sports festival where he was playing dodgeball). the scene where momoko finds out that one of her disabled friends has died, making a tantrum in the hospital, saying that she's next really gave me chills, because during my internship more thatn once, i've seen people saying there fairwell to us nurses or to their family even with their condition stable, to die few hours later, like they really felt that lady death was calling for them.

overall the movie is very beautiful, gives us some indsight of how a family with a disabled relative deals with their everyday life, and the stigma other people still have regarding disabled people.

a solid 8

"Be who you are and say what you mean, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind" - Dr. Seuss
Feb 13, 2017 4:30 AM

May 2009
I've been waiting so long to watch this movie. I'm glad I've been given the chance to see it, but I'm also very sad too. I don't know if I can take these movies. I hoped it won't be like Grave of Fireflies, but hell it hurt so bad, even though I expected it.

These kinds of movies make me appreciate what I have more. Make me wish to give more. "It's not fair"... is what kept coming to my mind during the whole movie.

Momoko is a fictional character. But she seemed so alive. Her way of living can teach us a lot. She deserved to live.

The moment when she cheered and her voice echoed, my heart dropped because I was certain of the outcome that I didn't want to accept. When she awoke for a moment I was so thankful, just to sink right after that... I was toyed with, but that's also a sign of a good movie.

Inspirational movie, but God damn sad. I can't take it when children suffer.

I cry when angels have to die
x3mslayerFeb 13, 2017 4:42 AM
Jul 19, 2017 1:32 AM

Jan 2013
I was looking for an anime that portrayed the struggles of being mentally challenged in modern day Japan, it seems to be quite the taboo. I'm glad at least one such movie exists.

9/10 The ending was more sad than I even expected.
Really liked it, especially Ryuji's redemption which was portrayed very well.

Also, I was the exact same age as Riki and Momoko, since this movie takes place in 2003 when they were 10 years old. That just stands out when I see characters born the same year I was in various stages of life. It's pretty rare to come across.
Jan 14, 2018 7:52 AM
Aug 2014
That was a very sad movie, but I wish it was a bit longer. Ryuji's arc felt a bit rushed and would have liked to see more of Momoko in school; it was a bit too economical at times.

Momoko was such a strong character throughout which made her breakdown after hearing Fumi died all the more powerful. Her holding out just long enough to see her father one more time and hear the outcome of the relay had me bawling my eyes out.

V.
Aug 14, 2018 7:57 AM

Jun 2013
I'm in tears now guys.
Sep 7, 2018 4:24 PM

May 2012
Such a bittersweet movie, especially that ending that really got to me to be honest! This was really fantastic but had so many emotions in it that it was quite hard to swallow. Beautiful yet so damn sad and with a topic like this which doesn't many times get animated it sure was perfectly executed!
May 23, 2019 4:10 PM

Nov 2016
Fuck, I knew this would be sad, but this made a total mess out of me and I'm most likely gonna be depressed for days.

This was an absolutely beautiful and inspiring movie. Some aspects may have been executed in a clumsy manner, but that is a given considering the length which limited the narrative to develop certain aspects naturally. That said, it didn't hurt the impact it had on me at all and something with so much positive spirit and pure intentions will be appreciated. The simple story dealt with a delicate subject and it's the themes really went under my skin in a good way. Momoko was brave, full of energy, with a strong will to live a normal life and always trying her best yet it was heartbreaking to see her struggle with her disability, society and her fears.. Honestly, watching this movie was really tough and I can't remember the last time when I was literally tearing up throughout the entire runtime. Of course there were also many heartwarming moments that brought a smile to my face, like the christmas or birthday party, as well as Momokos cheerful nature and how adorable she was in general, which fueled everyone around her with positive energy.
This all made the ending even more devastating. Although, they kinda foreshadowed it already at the beginning and whenever Momokos condition took a turn for the worse, they still played with my hopes during her final moments when she woke up for a few seconds ;_;

And I cried buckets, her passing away in peace was so bittersweet. Furthermore, I really loved it when everyone came to sing her favorite song and she still had her smile on her face.

As I mentioned above, regarding limitations of a 80 min runtime. Character progression felt a bit sudden for some or better said, they could've spent a few minutes more on that, but it was still very satisfying, especially for Riki.

So yeah, all in all outstanding movie. I haven't seen anything quite like this. It teached me a bit about family bonds, the joy of life, what makes it worth living, but also how merciless it can be and that we should be grateful for the things we were blessed with. During my apprenticeship I already came in contact with how death can impact families and their relationships with their loved ones during their final weeks or days. But here I got to witness all the hardships, highs and lows firsthand. In a way they felt incredibly real, also because I know there are families that deal with similar situations. I felt joy, anger, sadness and most importantly, I think this movie will eventually change the way I perceive others and even my own life.

9,5/10

P.S. Too bad we didn't get to see the Universal Studios and the 10th birthday:'( even tho I think they went to the former offscreen, at least I hope so.

3 years since my first watch and the feels are still strong.
FMmatronMay 4, 2022 2:53 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 21, 2019 2:15 PM

Apr 2019
The movie is simple, and it sends a very good message, the movie is very sad, the way the characters learn from mistakes is very good, the development of the movie is great.
Simply one of the best dramas I've ever seen.
9/10
Oct 11, 2020 1:23 AM

Mar 2012
This made me cry (´°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥ω°̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥`)
Jan 9, 2021 10:25 PM

Nov 2017
Perfect plot for tearjerking. But I think they could have done better. Still 8/10 for making me cry.

Nov 15, 2021 7:23 AM

Oct 2017
This movie has a great message. It really made me cry several times.
Apr 12, 2022 12:22 AM
Dec 2012
Just watched this and I just bawled my eyes. Its been around 48 hours since I watched Momoko and now I still get teary eyed whenever I think of Momoko.

Just want to voice out what I feel about this movie since its all bottled up inside me and I'm feeling down since I finished the show. My thoughts wil be all over the place so please bear with me on this.

I have been watching a lot of anime when I was a teenager. There are some that made me cry and sleepless for days. At one point in time, I just told myself I want to stop making myself 'miserable' and decided to stop watching animes that have a sad ending. I have never been good at handling character's death, and that hasn't changed at all even when I'm in my thirties. Coupled that with work and dealing with everyday challenges, I just decided I prefer more happiness and laughter in the animes I watch.

Momoko the character just seems so alive in this film. The settings of the show really makes it easy for anyone with a heart to get sucked into it. It is obvious midway death is something that constantly haunts her, yet she still puts on a smile and treats everyone sincerely. Character developments for each characters come from their interaction with Momoko. Momoko is at the center of the story, which is why at the end of the day, Momoko's death really affected me.

At one point in time, I find myself questioning the author (the movie comes from a novel with a similar name) for coming up with such an ending. There are ways to end the story with Momoko alive. But if you have seen families having disabled kids, the stress and challenges they face every day can be tougher than what the film is portaying.

Momoko at least have a loving, understanding and patient parents and brother, and seems to come from a pretty well off family. Before she left, she got to meet new friends, joined her brother in school, experienced things that she hadn't experience before. Is Momoko afraid of death? Of course. But when it finally came to her, she had her loving family by her side, her character, and her recent experiences were enough for her to put a smile on her face. This struck me really hard. My grandfather passed away a few years back, and I have been telling myself he had a led a long meaninful life so he should have no regrets left in life. It makes it easier for me to accept his passing. But Momoko is just a child. For her to die so young...it really affected me on a level I have never experience before. I just can't help but think there are so much more things she had yet to experience with her friends and family.

Then being a sensitive person, I started thinking how her family will handle her passing. The film time skipped to a year later with Riki explaining how Momoko still lives in his heart. That probably means it took him at least that long to accept Momoko's fate. But well, anything after that is just pure speculation that leads to nowhere since the story ends here.

There are so many messages in the film. But I feel if you just focus on one or two specific messages, you will miss the whole plot. Just watch the film and go along with the flow. You will just inherently understand what the film is trying to tell you at the end. This is a beautiful film. The ending may not be ideal, but this is definitely a classic that I feel everyone should spend the time watching.
Dec 7, 2022 3:16 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
It has a sad aura at the beginning, although later you see hope, you sense what is to come, you don't want to believe it, you think that everything can change, a plot twist, but no, that's life, happy and sad moments, where you learn with every voluntary and involuntary action.

SAD

kekeke
Feb 12, 5:42 PM
Mar 2019
Even though it wasn't going to end well, i still got tears in my eyes.
Good, but very Sad.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.