Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 11, 2015 5:07 AM

Dec 2012
yhunata said:
This is super, alright. Super bad. Seriously, what the fuck is this shit? Even Charlotte (apples and oranges, I know) is better than this shit. Plastic Memories had a better action sequence and that's a fucking drama.

Comparing a long runner to a cour anime is pointless.
Aug 11, 2015 5:10 AM

Apr 2011
tsudecimo said:
yhunata said:
This is super, alright. Super bad. Seriously, what the fuck is this shit? Even Charlotte (apples and oranges, I know) is better than this shit. Plastic Memories had a better action sequence and that's a fucking drama.

Thus the apples and oranges comment.
Aug 11, 2015 5:56 AM

Mar 2008
tsudecimo said:
yhunata said:

let's compare it to Hunter x Hunter (2011) then? That anime has wonderful animation and is 148 episodes long.

Dragon Ball Super just aired 5 episodes and it's already fucking garbage. That Toei Animation quality.. that Toei Animation seal of approval.
Incompetent studio
Aug 11, 2015 5:56 AM

Aug 2012
ultimates said:
I know it just started, but anyone know how many episodes this will be in total?

Based on what everyone is saying, it sounds like it's a remake of the Battle of Gods movie but slightly longer. If that's the case, I might just wait until 20 or so episodes are out before I start watching since I've seen the movie already.
Toei announced it would be at 100

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-06-19/toei-europe-lists-dragon-ball-super-at-100-episodes/.89488
Aug 11, 2015 6:42 AM

Jan 2015
Yeaaah, this was a really sucky fight...

Pretty sure it's gonna be Bulma and the kids that will anger Beerus, and not Vegeta.
Aug 11, 2015 6:50 AM

Dec 2012
Romeo said:
tsudecimo said:

let's compare it to Hunter x Hunter (2011) then? That anime has wonderful animation and is 148 episodes long.

Dragon Ball Super just aired 5 episodes and it's already fucking garbage. That Toei Animation quality.. that Toei Animation seal of approval.
Incompetent studio

You can insult the studio till the cows go home, doesn't change the fact they are more successful than madhouse and any animation studio you like.

It doesn't work like this, DBS is predicted to have more than 100 eps, so only having 5 eps so far is irrelevant.
Aug 11, 2015 7:17 AM

Mar 2008
doesn't change the fact that they're garbage? And it doesn't change the fact that only 5 episodes aired so far.

Who cares if they're successful?
Im just saying they're incompetent and simply bad. Shitty studio all-around. Sooner or later people will figure it out.

Until then they'll stay shitty and successful I guess, but them being successful won't change my opinion. Toei Animation is bad and vastly inferior compared to other studios.
RomeoAug 11, 2015 7:32 AM
Aug 11, 2015 7:59 AM

Jun 2013
you all realise is gone and fucked up our childhood i mean the fuck was with that animation?!
Aug 11, 2015 8:02 AM

Dec 2012
Romeo said:
doesn't change the fact that they're garbage? And it doesn't change the fact that only 5 episodes aired so far.

Im just saying they're incompetent and simply bad. Shitty studio all-around. Sooner or later people will figure it out.

Until then they'll stay shitty and successful I guess, but them being successful won't change my opinion. Toei Animation is bad and vastly inferior compared to other studios.

At least you realize that.
Aug 11, 2015 8:17 AM

Oct 2011
Nier_22 said:
This explains a lot: https://i.imgur.com/oXM8hPc.jpg

Solid post.
Aug 11, 2015 8:17 AM

Jan 2014
Toei is garbage. The worst studio in Japan. Anyone with a brain can see that.
Aug 11, 2015 11:56 AM

Jun 2015
brahianvalles said:
Cmon are you fcking ! kidding animation was so crap :(
The speed that they were fighting was incredible slow cmon even Child goku looked faster that his SSJ2 form fuck this shhhit!
sim0n2170 said:
Toei wtf seriously.
Romeo said:

Agree with all
Aug 11, 2015 1:36 PM

Oct 2007
It kind of says a lot to me that one of the most commented on episodes of a show that has been surprisingly good up until now (I thought the animation would be poorer from the get go) just so happens to be the shows first major miss as far as animation quality goes, further providing evidence to my theory that a lot of people really just want something to bitch about. Like it's true, this episode was a "shame" to put it nicely, but the way people are dog piling and just spewing hatred, they don't actually care about the show or what happens from here, they just want in on the drama and the moment of hate.
Aug 11, 2015 1:39 PM

Mar 2013
Oh my god that was terrible
Aug 11, 2015 4:38 PM

Oct 2011
Wow, the budget constraints are glaringly obvious. I don't know what's worse, King Kai's seiyuu or how poorly the fight was handled animation-wise. I thought that the continuation of such a popular series as Dragon Ball would get better treatment than this. I'm not mad considering I've already watched the movie, but hopefully someday Toei gets it together for future arcs.
Aug 11, 2015 4:39 PM

Mar 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It kind of says a lot to me that one of the most commented on episodes of a show that has been surprisingly good up until now (I thought the animation would be poorer from the get go) just so happens to be the shows first major miss as far as animation quality goes, further providing evidence to my theory that a lot of people really just want something to bitch about. Like it's true, this episode was a "shame" to put it nicely, but the way people are dog piling and just spewing hatred, they don't actually care about the show or what happens from here, they just want in on the drama and the moment of hate.

I don't think so

People care a lot about DB that's why they don't want to see it tarnished with the typical horrible Toei animation, like what happened to series such as Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon Crystal
Aug 11, 2015 4:41 PM

Feb 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Well what else is there to talk about with this episode? Nothing that makes up for the bad presentation. It doesn't help that a much better paced and animated version of these events already exist in the film. I personally am more annoyed with how it's taken 5 episodes just to reach this point with most of the show being filled with hot air.
gedataAug 11, 2015 4:45 PM
Aug 11, 2015 5:26 PM

Oct 2010
Vegeta/Goku/Gohan 4 sec fight scene in the OP > Goku vs Beerus fight in this ep.
Aug 11, 2015 6:08 PM

Mar 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:

I mean, the other episodes were really limited animation wise. This was the first big episode that really needed it, and they messed it up.
Aug 11, 2015 7:12 PM

Jul 2015
Kaioshin_Sama said:

No. We as the fan base care about dragon ball since it's a classic anime for us which is why we are upset about how toei handled the show's first major fight and the rest of the epidsode . To not complain about it would just imply that we are OK with this horrid animation. If you're fine with it ok, but we can say our opinion regardless. This has nothing to do with wanting to be in on the hate.
terminador_2397Aug 11, 2015 8:59 PM
Aug 11, 2015 9:23 PM

Mar 2009
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It was a good episode, and the first big fight of the series, but the animation really brought it down. It's no surprise that people are upset.
Aug 11, 2015 10:29 PM

Jan 2013
The animation had sub-par animation, but posting still capture screenshots is not exactly proof of that. Animators tend to make the characters off-model quite a bit, like Yusuke Urameshi's face here at 2:46 yet still pull off fantastic animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHekmQ3TZNk

With that being said, the animation itself was not very good to "explain" the cheaply drawn models of the characters. This isn't the first time this has happened though, Masayuki Uchiyama was responsible for A LOT of terrible animation in Dragon Ball Z (RIP btw, died in 2010)
"We're gonna be fighting the biggest beast of them all...the times" ~~~ Big Boss
Aug 11, 2015 11:19 PM

Aug 2012
what was the point in remaking the movie into a tv show if the quality is going to be way lower? i really don't get it what's the point of this show at all anymore...the first few episodes were cool with all the new content but this is just dumb to me.
Aug 12, 2015 1:34 AM

Nov 2013
And yet jap peoplestill praise the shit toei is doign and let them milk even more. just lol
Aug 12, 2015 1:55 AM

Apr 2013
The bad animation and Kaio's terrible voice made this one hard to watch.
Aug 12, 2015 3:37 AM

Jun 2015
This episode had a rating of 5.3, I won't be surprised if this series gets cancelled before we get to the new content (Universe Saga/Super Dragonballs)

Retelling of the movies doesn't help aswell...

http://www.videor.co.jp/data/ratedata/top10.htm

Also forbes news: http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/08/12/japanese-fans-are-not-happy-with-the-animation-in-dragon-ball-super/
Aug 12, 2015 4:57 AM

Dec 2012
Better with fight, but the animation is kinda too old.
Aug 12, 2015 4:59 AM

Jun 2014
dropped
Aug 12, 2015 5:02 AM

Oct 2012
TheMaster100 said:
This episode had a rating of 5.3, I won't be surprised if this series gets cancelled before we get to the new content (Universe Saga/Super Dragonballs)/

It was still fifth, that's a step-up from last week's 7th. It's not gonna get cancelled. 5.3 is ridiculously good for any other anime series. And we all know DB merchandise sells a lot, so it's not gonna get the boot even if it eventually does poorly in TV ratings.
Aug 12, 2015 5:29 AM

Jun 2010
OMFG the animation was so horrible in this episode, i see better fan mades on youtube -.-
Aug 12, 2015 7:05 AM

May 2009
I'm curious how Toei will react, even the japanese fans are super [超] angry.

I'm not really a fan of the modern animation of Dragon Ball at all, but the animation of this episode was just overkill.

Good ol' animation, I miss you so much..
KowimenAug 12, 2015 7:15 AM
Aug 12, 2015 8:43 AM
Jan 2010
Goku must be getting slow in his old age.
Aug 12, 2015 9:04 AM

Feb 2015
SaiyanZ said:
This isn't the first time this has happened though, Masayuki Uchiyama was responsible for A LOT of terrible animation in Dragon Ball Z (RIP btw, died in 2010)

I don't remember a single scene in DBZ that looked as bad as this though.
Aug 12, 2015 12:09 PM

May 2009
What was this motherfucking shit, flash cartoons look better then DBS episode 5.

Edit: And what the hell is up with the terrible OST!? Just recycle the ost of DBK Buu arc and we wouldn't have a problem at all.
ShoryuukenAug 12, 2015 12:16 PM
Aug 12, 2015 12:30 PM

Mar 2015
Never thought there would come a new entry on my dropped list that fast
Aug 12, 2015 12:38 PM

May 2009
1985. still better.

Aug 12, 2015 12:55 PM

May 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:

and when they aren't given something to bitch about, they'll make up something to bitch about
Aug 12, 2015 2:40 PM

May 2009
I just simply bitch about the animations due to it being totally logical to bitch about bad animations, people make things so unnecessary complicated by assuming people thinking this that and when they do those things to empower the thing they are bitching about, especially if it's their childhood being butchered right in front of their very eyes.

Quality is bad, the end.
Aug 12, 2015 3:06 PM

Jan 2011
this episode was one of the worst ever
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Aug 12, 2015 3:08 PM

Dec 2012
cronosteso23 said:

Still had better animation than Hunter x Hunter (2011)
Aug 12, 2015 3:18 PM

May 2009
tsudecimo said:
cronosteso23 said:

Still had better animation than Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Way worse

Aug 12, 2015 4:20 PM

Oct 2014
Toei being Toei. Nice to see.
Aug 12, 2015 5:03 PM

Nov 2013
I guess no point in commenting on animation since over 9000 comments have been left about it already...

Oh, who am I kidding, I came here to say ANIMATION SUCKED ASS!!!
Aug 13, 2015 2:01 AM

Sep 2014
woooahh..
the best animation i have ever seen...
Aug 13, 2015 4:28 AM

Jun 2014
but.. still better than this one

Aug 13, 2015 4:46 AM

Nov 2013
^ Actually, although in those Naruto scenes the animation looks derpy, it still has a smooth flow and fluidity. Here, it's not only derpy but looks like they cut out like 20 frames out of each second, and it looks stiff as fuck.
Aug 13, 2015 6:33 AM

Nov 2014
Kowimen said:
I'm curious how Toei will react, even the japanese fans are super [超] angry.

I'm not really a fan of the modern animation of Dragon Ball at all, but the animation of this episode was just overkill.

Good ol' animation, I miss you so much..

DUDE THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE SEEN WHOLE DAY
Aug 13, 2015 6:50 AM

Jul 2015
Gikiseima said:
but.. still better than this one

Lol
Aug 13, 2015 9:54 AM

Sep 2011
HandsomeMan said:
^ Actually, although in those Naruto scenes the animation looks derpy, it still has a smooth flow and fluidity. Here, it's not only derpy but looks like they cut out like 20 frames out of each second, and it looks stiff as fuck.

My thoughts, exactly.
At least in Naruto the art was bad, but the animation made up for it. In DBS it was a complete fail in both aspects
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2016

92 by TheColonel76 »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2016

72 by TheColonel76 »»
May 14, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 95 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2017

86 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 28, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 94 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 10, 2017

79 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 28, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super Episode 93 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 3, 2017

109 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 28, 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.