Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 7, 2015 3:21 PM

Apr 2014
maruoooooooo!! congrats!
natsu like always cheer you up
sugoi how he play with that pressure
Aug 8, 2015 2:37 PM

Mar 2009
Great match. Impossible to lose when you've got Nat-chan cheering you on!
Aug 9, 2015 6:06 AM

Jun 2014
wooop wooop go maruo!
:3
Aug 14, 2015 11:52 PM

Nov 2014
I loved the match, I loved the tension. However, I hated the concept of controlling the pressure.
I understand that Marou is controlling genius, but deciding how many percent of pressure to erase is just unrealistic! That really disturbed the match for me :(

Edi showed great personality and great game, he should be proud :D
Aug 15, 2015 6:55 AM

Nov 2010
It was nice to see Nat chan showing up near the end to give him the last push into the flow
Aug 17, 2015 12:26 AM

Oct 2014
haha ide you liar, you lost! Just kidding, great sportsmanship at the end.
Aug 30, 2015 5:14 AM

Mar 2008
Glad they pulled out the heavy works for this one. If only all of every match could be animated so well.
Sep 27, 2015 10:55 AM

Jun 2011
antonnn said:
I actually clenched my fist and said "YES!" when Mauro got the match winning point. Awesome stuff.
Omg, me too! reading through this thread, it seems that there are people who did that as well, more than I would expect. XD Definitely a satisfying finish, a very well animated sequence.

Hakaya said:
I loved the match, I loved the tension. However, I hated the concept of controlling the pressure.
I understand that Marou is controlling genius, but deciding how many percent of pressure to erase is just unrealistic! That really disturbed the match for me :(
That's what got me too. I mean, it's alright, but it weird me out a little bit. A tad bit less realistic on that part.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Oct 7, 2015 1:31 AM

Apr 2014
Man, this episode did not disappoint. Although, somehow, Ide is less impressive than in the manga, where I love him unconditionally.
ToG25thBaam said:
Hakaya said:

That's what got me too. I mean, it's alright, but it weird me out a little bit. A tad bit less realistic on that part.
Er, but visualization techniques are a real thing. You acknowledge what's there - pressure - but use a visual prop to loosen its hold on your mental state.

For Maruo, it was his problems written down and partially erased. This worked for him specifically because he writes his tennis notes down as things to remember in-game, and having his pressure be a mostly-erased list fits within that scheme he instinctively, emotionally and mentally connects to.

It's not magic or a deus ex machina. It actually works.
Oct 12, 2015 8:20 PM

Jun 2011
currycurry said:
Er, but visualization techniques are a real thing. You acknowledge what's there - pressure - but use a visual prop to loosen its hold on your mental state.

For Maruo, it was his problems written down and partially erased. This worked for him specifically because he writes his tennis notes down as things to remember in-game, and having his pressure be a mostly-erased list fits within that scheme he instinctively, emotionally and mentally connects to.

It's not magic or a deus ex machina. It actually works.
I don't really understand how he could 'erase' his visualized pressure from his mind and thus lessen the pressure load on his mental state. Surely, somewhere back of his mind it's still there. I know that this somehow works in real life too, but not how it was portrayed in the series, therefore the "a tad bit less realistic" and not "completely unrealistic".

Or maybe I am just now that knowledgeable on the topic and haven't experienced it myself yet.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 4, 2016 12:49 AM

Aug 2013
Ide really has the sportsmanship to make a match exciting.
Well.. Nat-chan making an entrance already raise his winning flag.
May 27, 2016 4:06 AM

Dec 2012
OMG this match is awesome ! Maruo deserved to win, the luck has nothing to do this time.
The erasing technique was interesting and I know that something similar exist in reality.
Great episode.
Jul 8, 2016 7:21 PM

Jun 2015
That was unreal! Absolutely loved this episode.
:)
Oct 2, 2016 5:36 AM

Aug 2012
I love how they finished it. That was great match indeed, Maruo is totally in peak in this game.
Feb 3, 2017 4:33 AM
May 2013
This was great episode. Tension was nicely built towards the last frames.

Moments like between the leg shot are pretty cool when they don't happen all the time. Also "dramatic end" was just perfect way to finish this match (also nice that wasn't overdramatic" is it in or out?" end). I also enjoyed that they focused more on psychology instead of technical aspects of tennis.

I've been thinking that season 2 has chances to get 9/10 but let's see the rest of episodes!
Nov 7, 2017 7:52 PM

Sep 2011
Wow what an incredible exchange!
Mar 13, 2018 1:43 PM
Nov 2017
Best tennis game of the series so far.
It had me wanting both sides to come up on top.
The close action had me literally sucked into the match.
Seeing the classic Federer between the Legs Shot had me shocked and a great homage.

That last rally was incredible and I think everyone watching lost it after that.

Love this show, favourite anime I have seen so far, dunno how the ending can be better than this!
Mar 20, 2018 4:19 PM

Jun 2016
I almost don't know where to start. I was jumping up and down and shouting the entire episode. It was certainly a stepping stone to getting Baby Steps to the level of play we normally see in sports anime. 2 years in, in show time. And that itself makes it so much more rewarding. That final point was the most insanely high level one in the show and the through the legs return was absolutely absurd as well. In a good way. We've naturally seen the progress of Maruo from brand new player who has no skills to what we'd expect from a protagonist of a hype sports anime. That itself makes it so rewarding. When Maruo got those animalistic eyes and hit perfect harmony between his reason and instinct we understood how and watched him slowly work hard to get to this point. It made him destroying Ide who was playing at his best one of the hypest moments I've ever seen in any anime ever.

I did think shoving in the insight about Maruo confronting his pressure rather than avoiding it in before the opening was questionable as it made the start feel rushed. That is the only problem I truly have with it though. That insight is actually fantastic life advice in general, if avoiding your pressure isn't working try confronting it, and if that doesn't work visualize it and erase it. No stress is better than any. Or in this case if you want your body to act at its best you need a little, so strike that balance. My past self who didn't engage in competitive fields and who hadn't read about human mind sets and the effects of visualizing would have thought of this advancement as something silly, but since I know this I can tell how realistic this episode is. Not only did the lesson Maruo learned from Natsu come into play with how to play against the intuitive, but Mike's about visualizing becoming second nature to Maruo did as well. And, Maruo used his lesson from America about the vicious cycle of losing, in this case obsessing over winning causing you to play worse and he was able to quickly add it to his stress list. So many different things came into play to make this happen, that and 2 years of tennis. If you feel good you will play good.

We got another great Araya moment where he was first impressed with Maruo's play, and then had a fan fight over who was going to win with Okada.

The beauty of Maruo winning the match he needs to no matter how unpredictable the way that outcome is, is that... in the next matches there's no telling how far Maruo will go. I do assume he will struggle to hit that peak again with so much stress gone but it's possible he could. Now the outcome of future matches is completely unpredictable and I'm excited about that.
Jul 31, 2019 6:32 AM
Apr 2016
It came down to a psychological will-power battle, while Ide was stronger under such circumstances, Ei-chan wasn't, therefore Ei-chan had to use a weird abstract method to erase pressure to lighten his psychological state. Both Ide and Ei-chan were genuinely AMAZING. This was by far the best and most intense match, I got goosebumps! I'm glad Ei-chan emerged as the victor, however, Ide was a really nice guy, I almost cheered for him, too.
Nov 28, 2020 8:16 AM

Mar 2016
It was a fine and tense match for what it was, even though I personally couldn’t find much investment in it in particular even with the revisit/rewatch. It was tactical after tactical maneuver and it worked out quite fine, though the in-between monologue feels suffocating a bit too often.
Very decent segment, nonetheless.
Nov 28, 2020 12:10 PM

Jul 2017
Great ending to a great match as a whole, started slow but the pace and intensity ramped up towards the end. Maruo's tweener shot (between the legs) was excellently done and unexpected too from someone like him, but it worked out for the best. Both Ide and Maruo gave it their all but Maruo in the end handled all the pressure of the situation he was in (facing a fifth seed with the crowd behind the opponent while your future is on the line), and used it to succeed. The fans were even won over a bit by his heartiness despite still feeling the anguish a bit of Ide's loss.

Just overall, a really fun match and Maruo's now qualified for the All-Japan Junior tournament regardless of what happens after. He's really getting stronger and his fellow competitors/rivals can witness it clearly. He not only beat the fifth seed in a clutch set but did it with the pressure all on him and the atmosphere that supported Ide to win this according to the scripts. That mental fortitude would be a pain in the ass for them whenever they have to face off against Maruo in the future.
Feb 6, 2021 2:17 PM

Feb 2014
Okay this match was fucking sick!!!!
Loved every bit of it, especially towards the end, that last set was dope!!
Wooo, this episode was sooo good!!
If you don't like me, acquire some taste
Aug 2, 2021 2:00 PM

Jul 2016
Half disappointed Araya didn't cheer for Eiichirou using his loud voice xD

Amazing episode. I was mostly composed until Eiichirou went full Federer with that between-the-legs shot. I totally lost my shit after that.
Mar 23, 2022 12:14 AM

Jul 2021
Love the match, probably the best in comparison to others.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2015

116 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2015

51 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:27 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2015

36 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:37 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

33 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:01 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2015

48 by ImmuneDark3 »»
Jun 21, 2022 5:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.