Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 16, 2015 3:43 PM

Mar 2015
Felt sorry for shadow man ;_;
Jul 16, 2015 3:56 PM

Oct 2012
seizonsha said:
So far this show is a fairly generic horror comedy that feels strangely 90s OVA-esque.
It's not necessarily all bad, just that they could have done a lot more with the source material so far.

^

The source material is SO good, and this show is just... not using it properly.

This episode was better than the last 2, but still mediocre.
Jul 16, 2015 3:58 PM

Mar 2008
So anticlimactic... Can't believe there were times when noitaminA had decent shows... I still hope there's a bigger plot behind all main characters and this whole world being a dream world as mentioned in the ep.1 intro. The director lost the source trying to be cool with the visuals. So meh...
Jul 16, 2015 4:00 PM

Jul 2011
[quote=Kalypze]
seizonsha said:

in which way it was?
Jul 16, 2015 4:02 PM
Jun 2014
i liked this episode untill i found out the the girl that the bag man was looking for was crushed because she did not want to be part of his family. in the end i hated this episode just because the girl got crushed, the main focus of this episode was to find her and we find out in 2 seconds that she was crushed. 2/5 for this episode.
Jul 16, 2015 4:03 PM

Jan 2008
Kobayashi, please never hit puberty!

That kidnapper/murderer needs to executed by firing squad, or stoned to death, just like how he crushed those girls into concrete. They better not let him go again because of all this psychiatric BS. Those psychiatrists need to be put in their place too, suffering the same penalties for whatever crimes of the person they set free. And did they totally forget the mother!? She was a straight-up accomplice to their murders and kidnapping, even if she didn't do the deed herself. The entire time the detectives were facing him, it pissed me off that they didn't even have their guns drawn. I was screaming "Shoot him!" all the up until Akechi went Bruce Lee on his ass.

I'm hoping the Shadow-man becomes a regular ally to our heroes in future episodes, but since he was based off of 20-Faces, he'll likely come back as an antagonist to butt heads with Akechi. Slightly disapointed he was made to be super-weak, and...pedophilic? Then again, the 20-Faces of Nijuu Mensou no Musume (The Daughter of 20 Faces) anime also took in and trained a young girl to be a thief...
Jul 16, 2015 4:10 PM

Jul 2011
you just made me realize that kobayashi isn't a loli, as he did not hit puberty, if he did though and still looks like that... well then i have no idea what to say.

also i am not sure about shadowman's pedohilia... sure he has an awkward interest in kids, but afaik pedophilia implies sexual arousal, he's more like respect or something, he admires them.
Jul 16, 2015 4:24 PM

Dec 2014
The whole show reminds me the opening of the movie Massacre at Central High, showing people getting violently murdered while smoothing music playing in the background. This anime isn't disturbing, creepy or surreal even with this many weird people in the story, it's just pretentious and annoying, and I can hear somewhere there is a retarded 15-year-old saying this shit is art.
Jul 16, 2015 4:28 PM

Jul 2011
raveninthemuddle said:
The whole show reminds me the opening of the movie Massacre at Central High, showing people getting violently murdered while smoothing music playing in the background. This anime isn't disturbing, creepy or surreal even with this many weird people in the story, it's just pretentious and annoying, and I can hear somewhere there is a retarded 15-year-old saying this shit is art.

well you know, art is subjective, music more than drawings sure, but in a complex piece like an anime,videogame movie or something, subjectivity has a large role in it.

personally i wouldn't go as far as saying it is art, but the first t2 episodes were good, the funny scenes reminded me of zetsubou sensei and everything else felt like it had pretty good direction; third episode though.... it felt quite generic, like watching a slightly heavier version of stuff like the tv series criminal minds, and i really can't see why people say ep 3 was better than 1 and 2.
Jul 16, 2015 4:39 PM

Oct 2012
kataklism said:
Kalypze said:

in which way it was?

The first 2 eps made very little sense to me. The way they used "The Chair" was bad; the mystery, while simple, was shown to us in a way that made it very hard to guess as a viewer, so at times it felt Kobayashi was just pulling clues out of thin air (even though that wasn't necessarily the case); the interactions between the characters felt very forced and completely unnatural.

Ep 3, while more generic, felt like it had better direction and was much easier to get through.
Jul 16, 2015 4:41 PM

Apr 2015
Shadowman

1. Lolicon
2. Gentleman
3. Anonymous

Here comes the hero and representative from 2chan.
Jul 16, 2015 4:52 PM

Dec 2014
kataklism said:

well you know, art is subjective, music more than drawings sure, but in a complex piece like an anime,videogame movie or something, subjectivity has a large role in it.

personally i wouldn't go as far as saying it is art, but the first t2 episodes were good, the funny scenes reminded me of zetsubou sensei and everything else felt like it had pretty good direction; third episode though.... it felt quite generic, like watching a slightly heavier version of stuff like the tv series criminal minds, and i really can't see why people say ep 3 was better than 1 and 2.

You play the "All art is subjective" card too early. There is much more to discuss before we have to resolve to that argument.

IMO all three episodes is bad because the general direction is wrong in the first place. The series of novels or short stories that it's based on is mostly about abnormal people who has some kind of morbid obsession or weirdness to their behavior or appearance. It's not meant to have gentle music playing in the background when a girl said she killed her teacher because she is jealous. And this is pretentious because by the way the show chose to execution the scene, it's suggesting we the audience should have a similar feels to the situation, even though most of us would just be disgusted by what we've seen, but maybe the music is reflecting one of the characters' emotional state? Which is also wrong, the girl who committed the murder should not feel relaxed, her atrocity was just discovered, and if it's reflecting kabayashi's mood some more up-beat or fast-paced music should be playing to show his excitment, that I would accept because it's has a narrative purpose, and I can totally picture it to be creepy in some ways.
raveninthemuddleJul 16, 2015 4:59 PM
Jul 16, 2015 4:55 PM

Jul 2011
i think it has spretty much the same goal of the first use in history of child lullabies in horror movies, it's to break the mood and give a feeling of uneasiness, it worked with me, guess it doesn't for everyone though...
Jul 16, 2015 4:58 PM
Jun 2015
Adellaeda said:
Please help. Can someone read and translate for me this sequence from the ED? (They were changing so fast, I hope I haven't missed one)

(I'm not a native Japanese but...)
It's an Edogawa Ranpo quote.
うつし世はゆめ よるの夢こそまこと
It means something along the lines of "This world is a dream; it is dreams at night that are the truth."
Jul 16, 2015 5:07 PM

Apr 2015
Decent episode. Felt really average with the way it was simply going with the sequence, but going with its flow sort of helped, and it's interesting at times. For now I can only hope for an underlying motive and I hope that skull at the end wasn't some intro to the next episodic case.
Jul 16, 2015 5:13 PM
Oct 2012
raveninthemuddle said:
You play the "All art is subjective" card too early. There is much more to discuss before we have to resolve to that argument.

That argument can't be resolved, for me its akin to saying that one can't argue for or against anything. I find it to be an evasion (had a long, boring argument on Godeater about that)

That said, I think you are misunderstanding the intent of the music: it is meant to normalize the bizarre. That seems to be the general mood of the series. Kobayashi is messed up completely, but they are playing him straight (intended), he accepts the most incredible horror with a blase frankness. Think of the situation he was in, even after realizing that he had been captured by a serial killer, he still betrayed no stress or worry about the situation. The cheerful, gentle music is the way Kobayashi is viewing everything around him.

That said I agree that this episode was (IMO) inferior. It failed because the serial killer was too possible, and I didn't like having a child lovingly depicted to then have her killed in such a horrific (and pointless) way. For many this was an improvement over the overthetopness of "I want to be his chair", but for me that was not the defect but the charm of the show.
Jul 16, 2015 5:13 PM

Dec 2014
kataklism said:
i think it has spretty much the same goal of the first use in history of child lullabies in horror movies, it's to break the mood and give a feeling of uneasiness, it worked with me, guess it doesn't for everyone though...

We can accept child dolls to be creepy and unsettling because it's part of the story's universe and when Chucky start murdering people, he is doing it within the context of the story. Background music is not part of that creation, characters don't hear music that is meant for the audience playing in the ground when they are having a scene.

Takuan_Soho said:

That said, I think you are misunderstanding the intent of the music: it is meant to normalize the bizarre. That seems to be the general mood of the series. Kobayashi is messed up completely, but they are playing him straight (intended), he accepts the most incredible horror with a blase frankness. Think of the situation he was in, even after realizing that he had been captured by a serial killer, he still betrayed no stress or worry about the situation. The cheerful, gentle music is the way Kobayashi is viewing everything around him.

Why would the production team feels the need to do that? Because it's made for teenagers who can't interpret the meaning of the show on their own? And if you have to normalize the bizarre then what is abnormal when you can't differentiate form normal people and events because there is no variety to the execution (this has to do with more than music choice, but let's focus on this first)? And the music choice is still wrong, it's too relaxing and claim, Kobayashi was excited and somewhat cheerful and the music should not be played during the entire scene, it should be purposely placed to emphasis this. And this is just one scene, I don't even start to talk about the scene following that, try to normalize that.
raveninthemuddleJul 16, 2015 6:03 PM
Jul 16, 2015 5:14 PM

Mar 2014
I was actually surprised by the killer method. I guess I got way too used to DC softcore cases and wasn't ready for that. It made me a little interested in Edogawa Ranpo works, though.
Also, shadow-men reminds me of Kaitou Kid.
Jul 16, 2015 5:17 PM

Jul 2011
Takuan_Soho said:
tl;too lazy to spoil

someone who understands what i'm (not very efffectively) trying to say! it's a god's blessing!

i just am bad at explaining myself, especially in my non-mother language.
Jul 16, 2015 5:32 PM

Sep 2012
I died on the inside when I realized what Watanuki did.

RIP me
Jul 16, 2015 6:17 PM

May 2010
VA, paperbag, tragic plot, shadow-man confirmed last boss.
Jul 16, 2015 6:17 PM

Apr 2013
Man I thought the chair thing was twisted, but crushing them in mixing them into cement is really fucked up, like that dude is god damn insane. He deserves a lot more than the beat down he got from Akechi, hopefully this time the lock him up and throw away the key.

Only three episodes in and we already have some really twisted cases, and I imagine it's just gonna continue on like this. I like the shadow man though, he seems like a good guy but I probably shouldn't assume things when it comes to this show, would like to see him appear again though. Also Hashiba's reaction to Kobayashi dressed as girl is priceless, can't say I blame him though, he looks to good in that outfit.

The episode was fine overall, felt a little rushed but not bad.
Jul 16, 2015 7:03 PM

Mar 2009
Why does Shadow-man look like Faust from Guilty Gear?

Boy, this show is twisted. I can't believe what happened to that poor girl...
All the girls in general.

Unlike the previous episodes, this one held my attention from beginning to end. I thought it was pretty good.
Jul 16, 2015 7:08 PM
Oct 2012
raveninthemuddle said:
Why would the production team feels the need to do that? Because it's made for teenagers who can't interpret the meaning of the show on their own? And if you have to normalize the bizarre then what is abnormal when you can't differentiate form normal people and events because there is no variety to the execution (this has to do with more than music choice, but let's focus on this first)? And the music choice is still wrong, it's too relaxing and claim, Kobayashi was excited and somewhat cheerful and the music should not be played during the entire scene, it should be purposely placed to emphasis this. And this is just one scene, I don't even start to talk about the scene following that, try to normalize that.

Perhaps I explained this poorly, I don't think that the music is related to how Kobayashi is feeling at any given time, what I meant is that the music says the same thing that Kobayashi's attitude towards the horror of any situation show. Both are out of place, both take these horrible situations and make them seem normal, and in "normalizing the bizarre" it makes it even more disconcerting.

This goes back to the first episode: critics were complaining how inappropriate Kobayashi's actions were on waking up and finding the corpse; in the second episode the critics were complaining how inappropriate the autopsy scene was; now you are complaining that the music is inappropriate.

So either we should believe that the production company has no ability, or this isn't a defect, it is design.

And there are other examples, everything about Kobayashi is off: his emotions are off, the animation is off (I find it funny how many trap haters are obsessed with Kobayashi's ass), and the music (and visuals) associated with him are off. Do you really think that these are all mistakes?

Honestly, I am not entirely convinced that anything in this show is real. This could all be Kobayashi's own little sick, twisted fantasy. There are tons of clues that point in that direction (the butterfiles for instance, and that one quote about a dream becoming even more truthful than reality). I don't want the show to go in that direction, but it is possible.

In a way this ties into the question about Kobayashi's gender. They did purposely censor him when he was changing (which they didn't need to), so again it is clear that the producers are going out of their way to obscure this point. Personally I think it would be more fun for him to be a man, but I have one particular theory that is starting to grow on me where this may not be the case.
Jul 16, 2015 7:13 PM

Jun 2013
[spoiler]
Jul 16, 2015 7:16 PM

Apr 2014
so far a mediocre series but I'm enjoying it a lot. dio as a lolicon was great, I loved it.

tho kobayashi in a dress was best moment
Jul 16, 2015 7:19 PM
Oct 2012
LOAD said:
so far a mediocre series but I'm enjoying it a lot

You do realize that this is a contradiction. Anything associated with "a lot" cannot be "mediocre".
Jul 16, 2015 7:22 PM

Mar 2015
The number of weirdness is high in this anime.

1. The weirdo trap who likes to use dress
2. The friend who get into yaoi
3. The teacher from the first and second episode who likes Kobayashi
4. A fat guy who can attract children to get into his house and then crushed them when they don't want to be his daughter
5. The shadow man who is suddenly a ninja
6. many more to come.

Meh episode, they build up shadow man and the girl's relationship, then she's dead.

Jul 16, 2015 7:26 PM
Oct 2012
DarklordVor said:
4. A fat guy who can attract children to get into his house

Viewing comprehension problems I assume.
Jul 16, 2015 7:35 PM

Feb 2013
From human chairs to smashed kid walls, it seems like this series is trying to teach people how to make a comfy living space out of people.

Pretty bad episode yet again. This wasn't even a mystery since there was nothing to figure out. If this was meant to be a crime procedural drama then I haven't a worse attempt at it besides the Gamergate episode of SVU.
gedataJul 16, 2015 8:32 PM
Jul 16, 2015 8:16 PM

Apr 2015
This episode was absolutely stupid the method of strategizing their plains seems out of point and unrealistic ofc this is obvious. It just that the whole thing just seemed Atrocious.
Jul 16, 2015 8:23 PM

May 2015
crushed mixed with cement and then turned into a wall talk about brutality but hey this is japan stranger things have happened
Jul 16, 2015 8:33 PM

Oct 2011
A good episode, but I feel it was rushed.

And wait... Shadow Man told to Kobayashi that he can't disguise himself as a girl, but he suddenly appears as kidnapper's mother. So what...?
Jul 16, 2015 8:35 PM

Aug 2013
Well this episode officially confirmed three things for me.

1. Kobayashi is a truly a trap.
2. Hashiba is gay and has a crush on his friend Kobayashi.
3. The The Shadow Man is actually a good guy.

The like the Shadow-Man and I hope to see more of him in future episodes. I honestly believe he'll help Kobayashi and Akechi a lot more than Hashiba when it comes to solve am investigation.
Jul 16, 2015 8:38 PM

Jun 2013
This episode was heartbreaking!!!!
Jul 16, 2015 8:40 PM

Aug 2013
BryanLoeher said:

And wait... Shadow Man told to Kobayashi that he can't disguise himself as a girl, but he suddenly appears as kidnapper's mother. So what...?

What he meant is that he can't disguise himself as a little girl. Shadow-Man can disguise himself as a grown woman but not a child.
Jul 16, 2015 9:01 PM

Oct 2011
BryanLoeher said:

What he meant is that he can't disguise himself as a little girl. Shadow-Man can disguise himself as a grown woman but not a child.

Oh, got it. Thank you.
Jul 16, 2015 9:06 PM

Oct 2011
I was hoping Shadow man was going to say this

"The mystery is already on the tip of my tongue."

Feels for Shadow Man.

Hashiba just reveal your feelings for Kobayashi already.

Dat skull 0____0
Jul 16, 2015 9:10 PM

Dec 2014
Takuan_Soho said:

Perhaps I explained this poorly, I don't think that the music is related to how Kobayashi is feeling at any given time, what I meant is that the music says the same thing that Kobayashi's attitude towards the horror of any situation show. Both are out of place, both take these horrible situations and make them seem normal, and in "normalizing the bizarre" it makes it even more disconcerting.

But the scene is about Kobayashi having a conversation with the girl, why would the music suggesting anything other than how he feels at the moment or the appropriate mood of the situation and suddenly go for his characteristic?

Takuan_Soho said:

This goes back to the first episode: critics were complaining how inappropriate Kobayashi's actions were on waking up and finding the corpse; in the second episode the critics were complaining how inappropriate the autopsy scene was; now you are complaining that the music is inappropriate.

So either we should believe that the production company has no ability, or this isn't a defect, it is design.

And there are other examples, everything about Kobayashi is off: his emotions are off, the animation is off (I find it funny how many trap haters are obsessed with Kobayashi's ass), and the music (and visuals) associated with him are off. Do you really think that these are all mistakes?

In no way I was thinking the characterization of Kobayashi or the way they treat other story elements is not intentional, this has been pretty clear right from the start, or if you know the team well just look at the staff list and the poster you know this is pretty much what you'll get. What they have done so far like the introduction of Kobayashi, the neko sensei and the murders etc. are comprehensible if you think about the show as it's made for dumb teenagers. A very poor design and approach is what I meant, even though the production value is fine.
raveninthemuddleJul 16, 2015 9:14 PM
Jul 16, 2015 9:16 PM

Jul 2009
Sukebe14 said:
DesuTronic said:
We get to see his feminine side this time.
He is androgynous. Someone who has physical characteristics of both sexes.

I believe those are called hermaphrodytes

the correct term is intersex. Hermaphrodite is more of an insult nowadays, but it differs between individuals of course.

And Kobayashi looks like a straight up girl. The only male characteristic he has is probably his private parts and we don't see that lol.
Jul 16, 2015 9:47 PM

Jul 2014
Cinnabar_ said:
Adellaeda said:
Please help. Can someone read and translate for me this sequence from the ED? (They were changing so fast, I hope I haven't missed one)

(I'm not a native Japanese but...)
It's an Edogawa Ranpo quote.
うつし世はゆめ よるの夢こそまこと
It means something along the lines of "This world is a dream; it is dreams at night that are the truth."

Oh, thank you. My curiosity was bugging me. And we actually did get that quote at the beginning of the first episode. And it might be more relevant to the story than I first thought (hope not, I reaaally don't like "it has all been a dream" kind of stuff).
Jul 16, 2015 9:55 PM

Aug 2013
This episode was a thousand times better than last weeks.

No shitty attempts at macabre humor, or asspull theories to solve crimes. We finally got the dark, gritty drama the show advertised itself to be.

Almost too much so though, lol. That shit was fucked up.

Poor girl, and poor Shadow-Man. Just wanted to see her be happy and live a fulfilled life after having a shit start to life, and then it gets taken away by some fat guy who murdered her and put her body in concrete. And she wasn't the only one.

kataklism said:
tomi02 said:
This is by far the wort show this season im sorry but it is. There are no words to describe the level of pain i get when watching this show. Im not even sure what rating i should give this show its just horrible. Im sorry if offended anyone but this is my opinion.

can't be worse than chaos dragoon and god eater anyway.

HAH! See, that's funny because those shows are actually good. Even funnier that you try and call God Eater bad after a single episode. Top kek m7+1
Jul 16, 2015 10:08 PM
Mar 2015
>Please help. Can someone read and translate for me this sequence from the ED? (They were changing so fast, I hope I haven't missed one)
[/quote]

I am Japanese. I transrated this phrase.

うつし世はゆめ 夜の夢こそまこと
(utsushiyo wa yume. Yoru no yume koso makoto.)

~Real world is just a dream. A night dream is the truth.~

Edogawa Ranpo used this phrase habitually.

This phrase had been effected on British novelist Walter John De La Mare.

Jul 16, 2015 10:30 PM

Nov 2012
so we go from human chairs to a little girl wall... okaaaaay.
Jul 16, 2015 11:38 PM

Jan 2011
Is Shadow-man meant to be Twenty Faces, or are they completely different?

Anyway since I'm guessing Shadow-man will be a reoccurring character I think this episode would have worked better later down the line.
Jul 17, 2015 1:41 AM

May 2015
a very good trap , fat lolicon vs changing faces lolicon and a wall to remember
sums up this episode
kobayashi is bending my gender
Jul 17, 2015 1:45 AM

Mar 2014
Glorious trap is glorious!
Felt bad for that Shadow-man guy though. He deserved better :(
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jul 17, 2015 1:47 AM

Aug 2013
BryanLoeher said:

Oh, got it. Thank you.

No problem! :)
Jul 17, 2015 2:01 AM

Jul 2014
Wow, very impressed by this episode and how emotional I got over it! :o Hope to see more Shadow-Man! Definitely looking forward to next week's episode!

Jul 17, 2015 2:16 AM

Jul 2014
madmotor said:
>Please help. Can someone read and translate for me this sequence from the ED? (They were changing so fast, I hope I haven't missed one)

I am Japanese. I transrated this phrase.

うつし世はゆめ 夜の夢こそまこと
(utsushiyo wa yume. Yoru no yume koso makoto.)

~Real world is just a dream. A night dream is the truth.~

Edogawa Ranpo used this phrase habitually.

This phrase had been effected on British novelist Walter John De La Mare.

Thank you.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

70 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takuan_Soho - Jul 30, 2015

235 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

137 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2015

326 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.