Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think it's weird when guys pretend to be girls online?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 11, 2015 11:37 PM

Feb 2015
I think there's a difference between having an avatar and making claims about your gender.

I've played MMOs where I was a half cow or a gnome or mythical beast of either gender and thought nothing of it.
I've seen people on these forums with avatars of all sorts of animals and even abstract pictures.

In a world of identity politics I think it's fun to leave as much up to the imagination of others as is reasonably possible. I don't think that's the same as lying.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Jul 11, 2015 11:40 PM

Nov 2014
I think it's ok to play as a female character, but weird to pretend to be a girl.

Jul 11, 2015 11:41 PM
坊っちゃん お願い

Jul 2015
Is it weird to pretend to be a guy even though you're a girl?
Jul 11, 2015 11:53 PM

Jun 2015
If they're pretending to be a girl to get attention from other guys, then that's just uhh yaoi...

Am sure most guys would feel angry at this because they've stepped on this kind of land mine trap on their conquest for a GF.

LOL
Jul 12, 2015 12:11 AM

Nov 2010
Amiluhur said:
This reminds me that vast majority of my RL friends have female avatar on MMO we're playing for quite some time. And when i asked them, their answers tend to be similar; because it lets them to style their avatars with bombshell bodies (huge tits, nice ass, etc), and dress them in skimpy armors. So i'd say that our male instinct plays a huge part here.

Exactly I wanna play an mmorpg and feel like I'm watching an ecchi anime at the same time.
Jul 12, 2015 7:16 AM

Jul 2015
Part of my heart goes out to those people, god knows what sort of abandonment issues they have which lead them to be seeking such attention
Jul 12, 2015 7:40 AM

May 2014
RIP patriarchy .................................... comes to mind.
Jul 12, 2015 8:08 AM

Aug 2012
Well, most of them are weird, some are sad.
Jul 12, 2015 8:15 AM
Jul 12, 2015 10:50 AM

Jul 2014
I can't really bring myself to care about them.
Wecc said:
All hail HaXXspetten king of the loli traps!
Jul 12, 2015 10:50 AM

Aug 2013
Plot twist I actually pretend to be a guy around here.
Jul 12, 2015 12:31 PM

May 2015
They do it mostly for free shit, especially in online mmos, pretending to e-date people to get shit out of them continuously. Some others just do it for attention or trolling purposes.
Jul 13, 2015 3:24 AM

Jan 2014
Lying and pretending to be someone you're not is always weird.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Jul 13, 2015 3:27 AM

Feb 2015
They just wanna show their soft and lovely side too.
Jul 13, 2015 9:50 AM

Oct 2014
I can't understand why guys pretending to be girls online. A lot of times I have seen that guys pretending to be girls in Counter Strike and other games. I think it's weird.
Jul 24, 2015 6:24 AM
Jun 2015
_necrophobia said:
Oi, lemme tell you a story.

So, this one guy, on this one website that I shall not name, was pretending to be a chick and saying weird crap to get popular. Like, talking about tea or random stuff. Sure enough, this fake account got popular. This fake persona even went as far as getting called "The Queen". It was nuts. He even went as far as posting a fake picture to maintain this persona. And he also caused a lot of drama, so he faked this female's personas death. Yeah, not even kidding. So, like a year later he tells his two closest friends on the website bout this. Then they go to a smaller group of members, including myself, and spill the beans, and everyone goes batshit crazy and the news is spread like wildfire and the guy, needless to say gets lynched by like half the website.

My point is, lying can only lead to deep, deep shit.
So I think it is bad to lie about your gender.
Though it isn't that possible for it to escalate as much as this case, but still, small lies can get bad real quick.

Another true story actually but rather not say..............
I just posted cause that was interesting
Jul 24, 2015 6:25 AM

Jan 2015
It's weird, but everyone has the right to be weird as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.
Jul 24, 2015 6:27 AM

Dec 2013
most are trolls which is fine to me. the legit sissy guys are the disgusting ones
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jul 24, 2015 6:28 AM

Jan 2015
Benphyre said:
most are trolls which is fine to me. the legit sissy guys are the disgusting ones
Define "sissy"?
Jul 24, 2015 6:33 AM

Dec 2013
_Generik_ said:
Benphyre said:
Define "sissy"?

a dude displaying effeminate behavior
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jul 24, 2015 6:36 AM

Aug 2011
The internet. Where guys are guys and gilrs are also guys and children are FBI agents.

But sometimes, acting like a girl in online games can get you items for free.
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.
Jul 24, 2015 6:37 AM

Jan 2015
Benphyre said:
_Generik_ said:
Define "sissy"?

I consider myself to be an effeminate man, wana fight about it?
Jul 24, 2015 6:45 AM

Dec 2013
_Generik_ said:
Benphyre said:

I'm only against those who pretends to be girl online. do you?
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jul 24, 2015 6:49 AM

Jan 2015
Benphyre said:
_Generik_ said:

Nope, but I technically fit under your description of "sissy". I speak with a slight inflection sometimes, I wear female short jackets, I spend 30 mins a day on my hair, I enjoy cooking cleaning ect.
Jul 24, 2015 6:51 AM

Feb 2014
They must be pretty low, if they don't have anything better to do with their lives.
Jul 24, 2015 7:06 AM

Dec 2013
_Generik_ said:
Benphyre said:

Nope, but I technically fit under your description of "sissy". I speak with a slight inflection sometimes, I wear female short jackets, I spend 30 mins a day on my hair, I enjoy cooking cleaning ect.

that wasn't directed at you. you're enjoying life while doing the things you like. it's a good thing
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Jul 24, 2015 7:21 AM

Jan 2015
Benphyre said:
_Generik_ said:

that wasn't directed at you. you're enjoying life while doing the things you like. it's a good thing
I understand that your comment was not directed at me specifically, but you can understand my reaction to "the legit sissy guys are the disgusting ones" without context. Sorry for taking it personally and overreacting.
Jul 24, 2015 7:52 AM

May 2014
Riki_Oh said:
It's pretty pathetic, especially when they start having cyber sex with another dude

dat moment when they start geting dik pix in PM .... and the female (male) user be like :" wat have i done e_e ... "
Jul 24, 2015 1:10 PM

Jun 2014
No but that's probably because I roleplay when I'm not on MAL.
Jul 24, 2015 2:29 PM

Jul 2015
I think if guys who seriously go to great lengths to pretend they are girls are doing it because they are genuinely creepy, or stalking people, or some kind of sexual predator, then I definitely think there's something wrong with that.

On the other hand, if a guy is pretending to be a girl (maybe because he has identity issues or something) and not doing anyone any harm.... I really don't see the big deal. Any one of you in this thread or on MAL could be lying about your gender, but even though that's a possibility, I'm going to treat everyone how I want to be treated: with kindness and respect. Gender shouldn't even be a factor.

But like someone else said in here, I've seen guys go from being a complete jerk to "Mr. Perfect Gentleman" depending on whether they are talking to a boy or girl. And those are the ones that start threads like this, in my experience. If you hit on, flirt with, try to cyber with, or whatever with every female you talk to you online, then I say it serves you right if one of them turns out to be a dude occasionally. lol :P

Pretty much everyone lies about themselves online to some extent, or changes their personality. I, for one, am actually so shy irl it's embarrassing, but I can be extremely friendly and talkative when I'm online. So technically, the identity I've created for myself is a lie too, but no one seems to mind.

Just treat everyone with kindness and respect, and you can't go wrong. :)
Jul 24, 2015 3:21 PM

May 2009
On this site called Mibba if your gender is male then you will get a lot of "welcome to Mibba" comments and girls will try to start and hold a conversation with you. Whereas if you are a girl you won't get many comments since I guess the female user base is higher than the male base so sometimes girls will switch their genders over to male to get comments. And if guys do it it's to avoid being "commented raped" as they call it.
Jul 24, 2015 3:28 PM

Oct 2014
I mean it would be the start of a terrible friendship because of the lies.

I remember I pretended to be a guy once, it was so hilarious until It ended up getting serious and hurting one of the friends I met on the account...
So, moral of story be yourself even if you have identity issues.
“But even when the moon looks like it's waning...
it's actually never changing shape. Don't ever forget that.”― Ai Yazawa

... ✽

「 If only I could wash all my worries and
sorrows away with music 」
Jul 24, 2015 4:11 PM

Oct 2011
I would assume he was phaggot.

Scratch that, he is a phaggot.
Jul 24, 2015 4:16 PM

Dec 2012
Very weird when taken to the extreme, like those that go out of their way to lie, acquiring voice change software to use in voip, etc. I'd stay very far away from those individuals.

I admit I've played along sometimes for amusement just to see the limits of a guy's desperation (also maybe to get free items), but never outright stating im a girl instead just failing to accurately state that I'm a guy and that they should quit doing whatever they're trying to do.

What you get for sometimes playing girl characters in mmos. Though other times people just assumed I was a girl for my way of typing which is indeed kind of strange...

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Jul 24, 2015 4:17 PM

Jun 2015
Infatuate said:
(also maybe to get free items)

+1
Jul 24, 2015 4:44 PM

Oct 2010
Whats there to understand? Its obvious.

people pretend to be girls because being a female in 21th century is much more favorable and will make everyone treat you nicer and better, being a female is more forgiving towards lack of anything as well

is it weird? yes and no because i just explained it and it makes sense
is it pathetic? most definitely
what about the people doing it? They are everything thats wrong with this planet
have i encountered it? many times, ive had fake girls even ruin long-term-friendships because people betray each other over "girls" on the internet
lots of music -
Jul 24, 2015 4:55 PM
Dec 2010
My personal experience is that I get harassed more when I play a male character.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Jul 24, 2015 5:36 PM

Jul 2012
Maybe they're trans but i don't really think it's that way. I mean on the internet you can be someone entirely different from who you are in reality and if that person you want to be is a girl then...well..i guess go for it lol but now that i think of it, doing it continuously is kind of weird...

Why not ask someone who actually does those kinds of things.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - Apr 18

22 by _Nette_ »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

54 by traed »»
55 minutes ago

» whats your shoe size ?

sussybakagirl420 - Mar 22

27 by cody »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Apr 24

24 by Zedlin »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Would you be a good partner? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

70 by Zedlin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.