Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2015 5:20 PM

May 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, Goku vs Uub. Feels nostalgic when I see Uub fired up during the match

Looking forward for DB Super next week. I'm pretty curious how they will upgrade more characters
Jun 27, 2015 5:27 PM

Nov 2011
Lol, it's Uub. Oh well, this is the final episode so him showing up at the world tournament seems natural.

Fitting end for the final episode for this series I guess.
Uub's power up though. Obviously, Goku see some potential in the guy. Anyways, looking forward to Dragon Ball Super.
Jun 28, 2015 12:09 AM

Jul 2014
Goku vs Uub, classic! now onwards to Dragon Ball Super next week!
Jun 29, 2015 11:35 AM
Jun 2012
Aww, I really wanted them to animate the alternate ending where Uub rides Kinto'un. Ah well, it was fun to see Goku vs Uub again. The fact that we're getting a new Dragon Ball series is really sinking in now that Kai has ended. I won't put my expectations too high for this one but I sure am excited.
Jun 29, 2015 2:24 PM

Apr 2013
So Kai has ended. And overall it's, like, half the length of DB Z. Talking 'bout fillers, huh. Excited for DB Super though!

Episodes like this always make me remember, what a bad father/husband Son Goku actually is^^
Jun 29, 2015 7:26 PM

Dec 2009
1cebear said:
So Kai has ended. And overall it's, like, half the length of DB Z. Talking 'bout fillers, huh. Excited for DB Super though!

Episodes like this always make me remember, what a bad father/husband Son Goku actually is^^

Don't forget to add bad grandfather.
Jun 29, 2015 8:50 PM

Sep 2009
Was fun to see Goku vs. Uub again! Can't wait for DB Super next!
Jun 30, 2015 2:57 AM

Jan 2013
Can't wait for super next week!
Jul 2, 2015 1:30 AM

Aug 2012
Oh man can't wait for Dragon Ball Super next week.
Jul 2, 2015 3:25 AM

Feb 2015
Great ep.
And now super excited for DBS.
A true man never dies.
Jul 4, 2015 2:44 AM

Feb 2012
He can just use instant transmission to say hi to people.. lol. Can't he like train Uub during the day then go home to sleep??
Jul 4, 2015 7:47 AM

Apr 2015
Shiyon44 said:
He can just use instant transmission to say hi to people.. lol. Can't he like train Uub during the day then go home to sleep??

...... well it Dragon Ball Logic :D XD
"Then and now, what I protect has never changed."
-Sakata Gintoki
Jul 4, 2015 9:34 PM

May 2014
Lazy_Smurph said:
If you haven't seen Battle of Gods than this is a bit spoilerish

I guess time will tell. Either way the Buu saga was fun to see again.

Honestly, given that what impressed Goku the most was "How quickly Buu learned" rather than Buu's strength. For example, Kid Buu also learned the Instant Transmission from Goku after seeing him perform it once. In this fight, we also see Uub tap into more of his powers after seeing Goku use his.

The best example thought is when Goku fought Fat Buu. Fat Buu learned the Kamehameha in full after seeing Goku use it once at full power. This is reminiscent of Goku doing a somewhat competent Kamehameha after seeing Master Roshi do it.

Jul 6, 2015 11:51 PM

Dec 2008
This anime is pretty bad. Funny is how The short Uub fight is better than any fight with Majin Buu. WTF Goku leaving like this, and Uub only know Goku for 5 minutes and "OK, now u are my teacher, come to my home". Well I really miss Freeza Arc. 4/10 I hope DB Super (bad name is bad) will be better.

(Sorry bad English)
ChrnoToddJul 8, 2015 5:58 AM
Feb 7, 2017 8:22 AM

Jan 2015
Every time I watch the final scene, it hurts me right to the kokoro!
May 26, 2017 3:47 PM
Aug 2014
Goku's trash talk was on point. Still not sure why Uub couldn't just start living with Goku instead of the other way around.
Sep 6, 2018 10:40 AM

Jan 2013
This was a waste of time, but hey, that describes Buu saga perfectly.
Oct 16, 2019 2:22 AM

May 2012
Pan-chan remains so damn adorable! Really loved how things turned out like that! Pretty much the same as the original DBZ ending but still nice to see before starting Dragonball Super! All in all this was quite a nice revidit of DBZ without the fillers and all the other slow pacing! In general I quite liked the first part a lot more than the Boo arc but that was also the case with the original DBZ. The cell saga is still my most favourite but I'm still glad to have seen this shorter version which still keeps the core of the story and improves on various points!

All in all I had quite the lovely watch just before starting Dragonball Super!
Sep 4, 2020 7:43 AM

Dec 2007
pan-chan was so cuuuutttee~

goku actually went to do kamehameha?

fitting end to amazing series :)

about dbk14, left alone the flaws in buu arc, the remastered isn't at all as in the first dbk and the cut didn't was well, let alone that in the international ver they kept dragging things, the only thing make this better is the cut of 99 ep to 67, either way, it's still dragonball :)
Jan 15, 2021 4:57 PM

Jan 2013
Just an amazing story no matter how many times I've seen it.
Sadly this remake is even worse than the previous Kai series.

Reasons for it being worse (for me at least);

- The "HD" which is basically just a cropped version of the original Dragon Ball Z because they had to make it 16:9. - Also removing a lot of detail from the scenes which just makes some scenes look bad.
- The soundtrack and especially this one
it felt like I was watching some sort shitty action movie from the 80's / 90's.
Another one that got on my nerves was the intermission part, even though it's short it felt like I was watching a sitcom.
- I have no idea what happened to Chi-chi's VA but from the moment the 2014 Kai series started you could notice the raspy voice, especially when she starts shouting at people. - Didn't mind it as much after a while.
- The sound in general was overall bad, I have no idea how to explain it other than it sounding "tinny".

With that I just can't recommend the 2014 Kai series to anyone, if only for their "HD" marketing, at least the first Kai had redeeming qualities, especially for a newer viewer.
PrOxAntoJan 15, 2021 5:04 PM
Aug 27, 2021 5:44 PM

Apr 2020
The final 2 episodes.

The first one starts with a 10 year timeskip and sets up the Budokai tournament. If I repress my memories of the final episode, I would even say I liked it. At this point, you just want everything to come together in one final clash between Goku and Uub. A battle for the ages, to close off the chapter. Which makes the final episode that much more of a disappointment.

The ending could not be more anticlimactic. The match gets interrupted halfway through. Goku does not go Super Saiyan and doesn't even get to fire a single kamehameha.

How strong is Uub? How does his power compare to Saiyans or half-Saiyans? How did he become this strong? All questions that don't have an answer. Goku just flies off, once again being a terrible dad and husband, but no one really gives a shit, because it's Goku so he gets a free pass.

All in all, the first half of the anime was enjoyable (even though it starts out with the admittedly cringey Great Saiyaman episodes). The tournament, the arrival of Kaioshin and Kibito, the setup for Babidi and Buu, ... It's all interesting and building up nicely.

It starts to fall apart around the time of Vegeta's sacrifice. There are many glaring plotholes that take aways some of the enjoyment such as:

- Goku getting knocked out by Vegeta, even though he can go SSJ3.
- No one being able to make a Dragon radar.
- Arbitrary Dragon Ball rules that get invented on the spot.
- The power levels of Goten and Trunks compared to Android 18 (or anyone else).
- People mourning for Gohan, even though they JUST made a wish to resurrect all the good guys.

Things about the serie that I disliked in general was:

- The sheer overpoweredness of Buu. How many times did he get blasted to bits and just regenerated as if it was nothing? I lost count. Buu is overpowered and invincible, just for the sake of being invincible. It makes the battles very predictable and really takes the edge off of things. At least Cell had to work a bit before reaching his perfect form. Not only Buu, but Goten and Trunks' power levels are also ridiculously high for seemingly no reason. The fact that they can already transform in SSJ and SSJ2 without problems, really diminishes the Saiyan power in general. I just had the feeling everyone got their Super Saiyan powers for free.

- The non-existant development of Gohan. Really, what's up with that? It felt like Toriyama bit off more than he could chew and just didn't know what to do with Gohan and Kaioshin. All he did was swing a heavy sword for hours until he broke it. Then he had to sit/stand still for a shitload of hours. [sarcasm] That's great character development. So interesting! It makes you feel like he truly deserved that powerup! [/sarcasm]

- The severe lack of interesting BGMs. I think there were maybe 4 or 5 pieces of original music in the entire series, but it feels more like only 2 or 3. The same piece of music gets used for EVERY fight. That track was used when Goku or Vegito were fighting Buu and the earth was about to get destroyed. It was also used when Goku was chasing an egg that was floating down a river. I remember thinking that track was pretty cool in the beginning of the series, but by the end I was sick of it. Way too overused. The one time they changed it up and used a different song near the end was a relief. It made me wish they used that other track more.

Considering the Buu saga on its own, it really shows its imperfections and it's easy to see why this is the weakest chapter in the entire DBZ saga. I'd probably give it a 5/10, all things considered. DBZ is pretty good, but the Buu saga on its own is flawed.
JezzmanSep 14, 2021 12:44 PM

Mar 14, 2022 10:41 AM
Jul 2018
I love the ending. It went out in DBZ style. There were some parts to this arc that were pretty slow. But it had some really good fights.
Dec 23, 2022 3:18 AM
Apr 2021
it was awesome...
Jun 26, 2023 9:07 AM

May 2020
yup my feelings haven't changed
still feel that dragon ball is overhyped to shit

Sep 21, 2023 8:26 AM

Nov 2012
finally figured out why people seem to be discussing different eps in the discussion threads, because there's two different versions the international version having 69 eps and the other 61.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Nov 20, 2023 12:06 AM

Feb 2022
Yeah, so this is the discussion for episode 69 on english dub
well well well...

I would definitely say I am a fan of the dragon ball franchise, with the original dragon ball being my favorite despite it being much simpler times.

The one thing I would say that I really dont like about this series would have to be the time skips. So on last episode we got a 10 year skip. just wow. Goku is in his 50s, and Bulma is around 60. that is just insane. It just feels too fast. It really doesnt feel that long ago when Bulma and Yamcha were a thing. Things are so different now its crazy. I really wish the skips werent so big, I mean instead of 10 years... this skip being 6 or 7 would still work for the plot. Its really hard to accept it all. It wasnt that long ago when they were all teens and now they are all old with grandkids its just too much.

as for this season... the fight against buu was just way too long but it was still enjoyable even though it got boring at times. 7/10 since I love dragon ball but really there was a lot I was disappointed from.

on to dragon ball super (says side story?) but I am guessing it is a sequel based off what I've heard...
Feb 5, 3:22 AM
Nov 2023
bfdubsnjkvdn jsdnvljkvds
Mar 27, 5:57 AM
Dec 2013
Does this mean that the original Dragon Ball Z is officially obsolete now?

More topics from this board

» Videl Flying

Rijupalika - Jul 8, 2022

11 by Tarekchahattou »»
Dec 4, 2023 9:35 PM

» Why does MAL have 61 when it's 69?

ThatOneGalXenora - May 4, 2018

20 by Alexioos95 »»
Dec 2, 2023 4:42 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai (2014) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2014

98 by Frosty »»
Nov 27, 2023 11:52 AM

» Why the hate for Kai?

xfero - Apr 12, 2014

28 by Tarekchahattou »»
Nov 2, 2023 7:40 PM

» Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, or Dragon Ball Kai? Which do you think is best and why?

EmperorDemonGava - Apr 23, 2015

20 by Biisoo »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.