Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which sequel insulted what came before the most?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jun 21, 2015 11:19 PM

Aug 2014
OP is a baiting little shit. Fate/stay night is not a sequel to zero! OP is reinforcing the stereotype that everyone makes fun of XD

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 21, 2015 11:21 PM
Jul 2018
black1blade said:
OP is a baiting little shit. Fate/stay night is not a sequel to zero! OP is reinforcing the stereotype that everyone makes fun of XD

b-but f/z and fsn have blonde seiba and emiya as mc
Jun 22, 2015 12:00 AM

Jan 2008
So many choices here:

Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season - it all went to hell at the end of the first season

Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 - apart from some epic moments, it was too much of a trainwreck.

Darker than Black: Gemini of the Meteor - the first season was cool and unique, while the second resorted to common tropes.

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa - what was the point of this movie? To ruin a perfectly good finale?

Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny - how they managed to ruing everything good about the first series is beyond me.
Jun 22, 2015 12:07 AM

Jan 2015
Dragon Ball GT - Fail attempt at being like Dragonball in the first saga and the action wasn't as good. Characters suck too.
Jun 22, 2015 12:08 AM

Nov 2012
nanoha strikers
the currently airing utapri 3 is a contender too
Jun 22, 2015 12:08 AM

Mar 2015
What if both the prequel and sequel were disappointing? Can I be let down when I'm already down?
Jun 22, 2015 12:21 AM

Sep 2014
Oregairu 2 or Eureka Seven Ao

Oregairu 2 replaced some nice comedy with tons of shitty forced drama and overall got pretentious as fuck.

Eureka Seven Ao was overall disappointing, but that's mainly because original series were that good, and AO was average at best, and had some stupid generic stuff
Jun 22, 2015 12:26 AM

Mar 2015
Imaishi said:
Oregairu 2 replaced some nice comedy with tons of shitty forced drama and overall got pretentious as fuck.

Wasn't the first one just as pretentious? Isn't that like, the main attraction of that show?
Jun 22, 2015 12:37 AM

Sep 2014
Like-A-Dance said:
Imaishi said:

Wasn't the first one just as pretentious? Isn't that like, the main attraction of that show?

I don't know, really. Might be me and my taste changing during few months, maybe I liked stuff like it and didn't notice, but I don't remember it trying that hard in the first season, I found it much more enjoyable, while in this season whenever the drama comes I can't help but shake my head in disbelief.
Jun 22, 2015 12:44 AM

Apr 2007
Haruhi '09 still makes me maddest because of the circumstances of its release. It was totally unannounced / aired in the middle of a supposed repeat of the first season so when the new episode aired everyone was shitting themselves with excitement.

Then as the season unfolded and we got eight episodes of the same material, that excitement turned to akdkfhofndidkcf incoherent keyboardsmashing rage.
Jun 22, 2015 12:52 AM

Jun 2014
I put my vote for Darker than Black, even though Hei improved in character development, it wasn't enough as the writing for the 2nd season was pretty bad. :p
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 22, 2015 12:58 AM

Aug 2014
SNAFU TOO is a disaster. They completely changed how Yukino and Yui handle themselves. It lost all it's witty charm and honest character development that made the show funny and interesting for a forced melodramatic daytime soap opera. The animation is even wonky at times. That's sad for a show where characters aren't drawn performing many actions.

Also the Endless Eight was great as well as equally annoying. Four episodes would have been good. They should have cut 14,16,17, & 18. Or did a better job of directing it. Making the festival take the most time one episode, then most of the next being at the batting cages, then the cemetery for next ep,etc. Every episode had good scenes in them.So I wasn't dissapointed at all. As a collective with the movie the whole series is great.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Jun 22, 2015 12:59 AM

Sep 2014
BlurredVision18 said:
SNAFU TOO is a disaster. They completely changed how Yukino and Yui handle themselves. It lost all it's witty charm and honest character development that made the show funny and interesting for a forced melodramatic daytime soap opera. The animation is even wonky at times. That's sad for a show where characters aren't drawn performing many actions.

I like that someone agrees. Majority seem to think the second season is better, lol.
Jun 22, 2015 1:10 AM

Nov 2011
sao 2

i don't hear as much hate from it

that's disappointing because they decided to milk a shitty series even more so it HAS to be shitty
Jun 22, 2015 1:32 AM

Jul 2014
Kimi ni Todoke.

OT: Gunbuster 2 aka Diebuster.
Jun 22, 2015 1:39 AM

Aug 2014
I don't know why the TG sequel is only here when the whole TG wasn't very good in the first place.
Jun 22, 2015 2:06 AM

Mar 2015
Imaishi said:
I don't know, really. Might be me and my taste changing during few months, maybe I liked stuff like it and didn't notice, but I don't remember it trying that hard in the first season, I found it much more enjoyable, while in this season whenever the drama comes I can't help but shake my head in disbelief.

It tried really hard in both. It's the hook for the stereotypical anime fan. Being a loner kid, blah blah blah. And they play that pretentious fact through both seasons. When we all know watching it, they're just lonely as fuck. They do lay the drama on a lot thicker in season two though. I'll give ya that. I disliked both seasons equally.
Jun 22, 2015 3:18 AM

Dec 2012
John_h said:
SweetCoconut said:
Chuunibyou S2, no kiss, sasuga KyoAni. But on a serious note, underwhelming season.

Chuunibyou's second season really was a major disappointment, though I'm not sure whether it is Kyoto Animation or the author of the original source that is to blame. It felt a lot like they took every opportunity to throw character development out of the window whilst not progressing the relationship between Yuuta and Rikka at all, either.

It's Kyoani's. They changed a lot of things in the first season, so they never adapted it faithfully in the first place.
Jun 22, 2015 3:51 AM

Feb 2014
Psycho Pass 2 and Tokyo Ghoul are not the worst sequels ever made but probably the most recent disappointments. Suzumiya 2009 now that was just bad
Jun 22, 2015 3:58 AM
Feb 2014
I'd have like to vote for more than one...Psycho pass season 2 was kinda like a filler rather than sequel..we din't get to see even Kougami -_- and Tokyo Ghoul root A was like a complete failure to me...
Jun 22, 2015 3:58 AM

Dec 2012
The final specials for Oreimo. The siblings reasoning for what they did was extremely poor, and the way Kyousuke carried out his 'plan' was horrible. Damaging and destroying their relationships with close friends and most likely family for something that was apparently make believe
Jun 22, 2015 4:26 AM

Mar 2014
I don't think I need to answer that question

Everybody here already knows what I'm going to choose anyway
ExTamplier said:
I like how people vote for Tokyo Ghoul 2 when first season was just as shit.
Nah

For me it was more like this
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jun 22, 2015 4:38 AM
Nov 2014
Psycho Pass 2 disappointed me alot, especially after the first season was actually pretty decent for me and then they decided to add even more annoying characters into the sequel lmao.
Jun 22, 2015 4:43 AM

Apr 2014
Kämpfer fur die liebe.
Jun 22, 2015 4:44 AM

Jun 2007
Added the latest suggestions, but I noticed Nanoha Vivid has a FAR worse (.70 less) average than StrikerS, so can a fan of the series confirm which should be added? For now I've put both as an 'and/or' vote. Same with UBW TV: is it S1 or S2 people have issue with? I on-holded it halfway through S1.

Also: Kimi no Todoke S2 only has .02 less in terms of ratings, but the top reviews are telling in terms of disappointment so decided to add it.

OkayCaim said:
Please define "actual movie" and explain why Ghost in the Shell 2 isn't one.

My comment was sarcasm, but if you want my full answer: a proper movie is when Mamoru Oshii restrains his ego and focuses on making an entertaining movie, as opposed to letting his ego run rampant to the extent his movies and characters become devices for him to force whatever he wants down viewers throats, everything else be damned. Conversations consisting of famous quotes and a a fetish for those dogs with flappy ears = GitS2. Not like it isn't a legit inclusion: a .40 gap between the first and second movie.

black1blade said:

If you read the thread and used the unlimited power offered by reading comprehension, you'd see two other people in quick succession suggested UBW. And I even commented that UBW would only qualify as a sequel as an anime given Zero came before it as an anime. Just FYI.

Imaishi said:

BlurredVision18 said:

Like-A-Dance said:

The first one did definitely have an air of pretentiousness given the lead was a cynical internal monologuer, but it also had a heavy emphasis on sharp humour that gave it a distinctive edge. As others have said, the sequel threw all that away for overdone needless melodrama and very little in the way of sharp wit since most of Hachiman's monologues were cut and his appearance changed; making him seem more emo than intelligent. And Yukino's character lost her kuudere edge. The change of animation studio ruined the series, for me.

I know it has a .50 plus score over the prequel and shouldn't be here, technically, but it's an exception given there's (or was) a very vocal minority when it started airing and it's one of few series to change studio/staff between seasons in such an obvious way.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1368948&show=400#post416
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1371616&show=250#post260
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1374103&show=150#msg39357938
AironicallyHumanJun 22, 2015 4:47 AM
Jun 22, 2015 4:54 AM

Jun 2007
Milk_is_Special said:
Kämpfer fur die liebe.

The first season is only rated 6.84, whilst the OVA sequel is 6.79. Could a two episode sequel to an anime rated so low, with only a .05 swing, be THAT disappointing?...
Jun 22, 2015 5:02 AM
Jul 2018
BruceLad said:
Psycho Pass 2 disappointed me alot, especially after the first season was actually pretty decent for me and then they decided to add even more annoying characters into the sequel lmao.

Yep. This or Tokyo ghoul s2 for me
Jun 22, 2015 5:09 AM

Nov 2014
I felt disappointed at EVA 3.0, it's not bad but i expected something better hence the disappointment.
Jun 22, 2015 5:14 AM

Aug 2013
darker then black sequel because it made every character worse
huh
Jun 22, 2015 5:20 AM

Nov 2009
Missing Nogizaka Haruka.

The second season for that was probably the biggest let down I've had after a great first season!
Jun 22, 2015 5:25 AM

Aug 2014
AironicallyHuman said:
Added the latest suggestions, but I noticed Nanoha Vivid has a FAR worse (.70 less) average than StrikerS, so can a fan of the series confirm which should be added? For now I've put both as an 'and/or' vote. Same with UBW TV: is it S1 or S2 people have issue with? I on-holded it halfway through S1.

Also: Kimi no Todoke S2 only has .02 less in terms of ratings, but the top reviews are telling in terms of disappointment so decided to add it.

OkayCaim said:
Please define "actual movie" and explain why Ghost in the Shell 2 isn't one.

My comment was sarcasm, but if you want my full answer: a proper movie is when Mamoru Oshii restrains his ego and focuses on making an entertaining movie, as opposed to letting his ego run rampant to the extent his movies and characters become devices for him to force whatever he wants down viewers throats, everything else be damned. Conversations consisting of famous quotes and a a fetish for those dogs with flappy ears = GitS2. Not like it isn't a legit inclusion: a .40 gap between the first and second movie.

black1blade said:

If you read the thread and used the unlimited power offered by reading comprehension, you'd see two other people in quick succession suggested UBW. And I even commented that UBW would only qualify as a sequel as an anime given Zero came before it as an anime. Just FYI.

Imaishi said:

BlurredVision18 said:

Like-A-Dance said:

The first one did definitely have an air of pretentiousness given the lead was a cynical internal monologuer, but it also had a heavy emphasis on sharp humour that gave it a distinctive edge. As others have said, the sequel threw all that away for overdone needless melodrama and very little in the way of sharp wit since most of Hachiman's monologues were cut and his appearance changed; making him seem more emo than intelligent. And Yukino's character lost her kuudere edge. The change of animation studio ruined the series, for me.

I know it has a .50 plus score over the prequel and shouldn't be here, technically, but it's an exception given there's (or was) a very vocal minority when it started airing and it's one of few series to change studio/staff between seasons in such an obvious way.

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1368948&show=400#post416
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1371616&show=250#post260
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1374103&show=150#msg39357938

Sorry about rudeness. It had been a hard weekend XD. I would argue with the choice of the GOS epilogue but movie 6 was terrible.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Jun 22, 2015 5:30 AM

Feb 2012
dragonball gt it was confusing
Jun 22, 2015 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
The most recent one would be Psycho Pass 2. I didn't find first season of Psycho Pass to be pretty memorable, but at least it managed to be a decent crime drama with thrilling twists, but PP 2 totally threw everything out of window. I actually liked Akane as a strong female character, it's just too bad that everything around her is complete and utter crap. Honestly, if it weren't for Hope Chapman's witty and scathing reviews on ANN, i would had dropped it far earlier.
Jun 22, 2015 5:53 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Tokyo Ghoul √A, Chuunibyou S2, Haruhi 2009 a.k.a. Endless Eight and Psycho-Pass 2 come first to mind..
Jun 22, 2015 6:12 AM

Jan 2015
Psycho-pass 2 has my vote, but Fate Stay Night UBW came close. Naruto shippuden was a bad sequel, but not as bad as these 2.
Jun 22, 2015 6:25 AM

Sep 2012
Why would you even make a poll?
Jun 22, 2015 6:35 AM
Jun 2015
Tokyo ghoul √A no doubt what a shitfest

Hopefully the manga is better
Jun 22, 2015 7:22 AM

Jun 2015
Gunslinger Girl II. Couldn't bear to watch 5 minutes of whatever the hell that was supposed to be, whoever directed it should be ashamed of himself.
Jun 22, 2015 7:32 AM

Sep 2011
Psycho pass 2 is probably the worst sequel ive seen in a quality standpoint, but darker than black S2 left a way more foul taste in my mouth since i liked the original more than psycho pass even though DTB S2 while bad is arguably way better written than PP2

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jun 22, 2015 7:41 AM

Jun 2007
Aksai said:
Why would you even make a poll?

Because it provides an incentive for people not to spam and highlights some semi-interesting tidbits, such as Naruto Shippuuden being viewed as one of the biggest letdowns of all-time, in spite of it having an average higher than its prequel, which - post-135 fillers aside - is loved by fans. What happens when a series is so long: votes by those that dropped early don't count.

Btw, added a lot of new titles, including Gunslinger Girl S2. Forgot about that: dropped after one episode. Sorry for how messy the poll is now. Not a lot I can do: only way to rearrange the poll options is to rename or delete them, which would totally screw with the votes. I might have to delete the titles with no votes after a few days-weeks-whatever so it's easier to find what to vote for.
Jun 22, 2015 7:50 AM

May 2010
I liked Oregairu but I didn't enjoy the 2nd season
Jun 22, 2015 7:52 AM

Dec 2012
AironicallyHuman said:
[
such as Naruto Shippuuden being viewed as one of the biggest letdowns of all-time, in spite of it having an average higher than its prequel, which - post-135 fillers aside - is loved by fans. What happens when a series is so long: votes by those that dropped early don't count.

First time I hear of this, feels like this is built upon your own biases. The score of those dropped still counts. The 1/5 rule applies to finished anime.

And I have to agree that this poll is pointless, it only contains specific sequels. What is the purpose of the thread in the first place? most of the sequels, that were received poorly are known in the forums, and are visable in MAL rankings.

This feels more suited as blog for you, since I don't see anyone having any worthwhile discussion, or making as much effort as your OP.
Jun 22, 2015 8:04 AM

Apr 2013
From the list psycho pass 2.

But personally, I have to say I was very led down by the second season of Higurashi. I was disappointed by all the revelations, the villain and the lack of the tension that to me was the strongest point of the first season.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Jun 22, 2015 8:11 AM

Jun 2013
Id say Chuuni 2, the first season was great and i gave it a 9, i couldnt even finish the second season
Jun 22, 2015 8:21 AM

Jun 2007
tsudecimo said:
First time I hear of this, feels like this is built upon your own biases. The score of those dropped still counts. The 1/5 rule applies to finished anime.

And I have to agree that this poll is pointless, it only contains specific sequels. What is the purpose of the thread in the first place? most of the sequels, that were received poorly are known in the forums, and are visable in MAL rankings.

This feels more suited as blog for you, since I don't see anyone having any worthwhile discussion, or making as much effort as your OP.

Shipuuden is currently level with Tokyo Ghoul's sequel and above Psycho-Pass and DtB S2 in the poll. My comment was based on that rather than deep-rooted detest for orange ninjas and those that are partial to Sakura. There has to be a high degree of dissatisfaction for that to be the case, whether or not Naruto (and his mom) are your favourite characters in the history of anime. You do have a valid point, though: right now early drop votes are counting. I actually thought it was finished since the manga has now finished. So, yeah: its current average is legitimate. I was wrong. My bad.

I don't claim to be a living anime encyclopedia, hence me asking for others to tell me about sequels I know not of. I listed the main offenders I knew of and am adding more as people tell me. Not sure what else you would have me do, bar thread deletion. And as great as I am, I cannot motivate others to discuss their choices. I can only ask them not to be lazy. God I am not.

And, FYI, blogs can not have polls unless I am legally blind.
Jun 22, 2015 8:22 AM

Jan 2015
Psycho Pass 2.
Oh man I was so disappointed considering how enjoyable the first season was for me.

Jun 22, 2015 8:44 AM

Dec 2012
AironicallyHuman said:

Shipuuden is currently level with Tokyo Ghoul's sequel and above Psycho-Pass and DtB S2 in the poll. My comment was based on that rather than deep-rooted detest for orange ninjas and those that are partial to Sakura. There has to be a high degree of dissatisfaction for that to be the case, whether or not Naruto (and his mom) are your favourite characters in the history of anime.

Let's not make this personal. It's just that common sense dictates that for a statement such as yours ''biggest let down of all time'' to be considered a general consensus, it would have to be backed up, by more than votes in a poll, that don't even represent 1% of people who watched it, or any sequel for that matter.

I really just don't see the point of this thread and the poll, but if it's fun for you and think this is good thread, then okay.
Jun 22, 2015 9:10 AM

Jun 2007
tsudecimo said:
Let's not make this personal. It's just that common sense dictates that for a statement such as yours ''biggest let down of all time'' to be considered a general consensus, it would have to be backed up, by more than votes in a poll, that don't even represent 1% of people who watched it, or any sequel for that matter.

I really just don't see the point of this thread and the poll, but if it's fun for you and think this is good thread, then okay.

If it makes you feel better, you can question my choice of best squirrel character ever as my own favourite character, in response to my Naruto's mom comment.

My wording was the problem, then, so let me rephrase: 'Going ONLY on the 260 votes so far, Naruto: Shippuuden is - surprisingly - tied with Tokyo Ghoul S2 as the most disappointing anime sequel. I did not expect that since even I rated other titles lower'. That's all I meant, but I am lazy.

And there is no point to this thread, much like there's no point to life or human existence. But, like life, opinions can be interesting. That's all.
Jun 22, 2015 9:19 AM

Apr 2011
There was a couple that was seriously lack luster compared to their prior season... I ended up picking the one I had waaaayyy too much expectations for. ughh.. I didn't think it'd be even more all over the place compared to the first.. I thought they'd fix what they messed up the first season /: ( voted Tokyo Ghoul √A).
Jun 22, 2015 9:28 AM
May 2015
Root A is shit but so was season 1. So my vote goes to Shitpudden.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - Yesterday

13 by LostSpectre »»
10 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 11 hours ago

34 by Spunkert »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - Yesterday

32 by Abomination_suah »»
20 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

22 by Cestlavie_ »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

79 by IrrelevantGuy »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.