Forum Settings
Forums

How do some people get to do what they like while others don't?

New
Jun 20, 2015 3:38 AM

May 2014
Is it personality? Genetics? Environment? What country you are in? What religion you believe in? Support network?

Discuss.
Jun 20, 2015 3:40 AM
Jul 2018
Talents and genetics.
Jun 20, 2015 3:41 AM

Mar 2014
If their name is Charl or not.
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Jun 20, 2015 3:42 AM

Jan 2009
all of them, include loser mentality (which a lot of times can relate to mental illness like depression) and random things like bad luck too
Jun 20, 2015 3:46 AM
Dec 2014
Luck/randomly.
j
Jun 20, 2015 3:50 AM

Nov 2013
More often than not, it's because they actually want it. It's one thing saying on here you wanna do something, and a whole other kettle of fish taking the steps in life to get there/it. Of course not everyone gets the same opportunities, but if it's there, you can take most chances if you're dedicated.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jun 20, 2015 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
Rumanshi said:
If their name is Charl or not.

Thank you, I'm pleased, humbled and honored to accept your compliment. ;)
Jun 20, 2015 4:14 AM

May 2014
It's all in the guts and passion not talent, personality, genetics whatsoever.
Jun 20, 2015 4:16 AM

Feb 2015
violity said:
Jun 20, 2015 4:17 AM

Oct 2012
wit + luck = success.
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Jun 20, 2015 4:45 AM

Apr 2011
Ability, motivation and all those other cliches.... or simply, life is a bitch.
Jun 20, 2015 5:13 AM

Feb 2015
[center]MONEY

Jun 20, 2015 5:18 AM
Jul 2018
violity said:

No?

Passions and courage do certainly matter,but to say that genetics do not matter nor the talent is pure nonsense.
Jun 20, 2015 5:21 AM
Jan 2014
Working for it alongside a healthy atitude and shaking the right hands.
Jun 20, 2015 6:12 AM

Jun 2014
_Charl said:
Talents and genetics.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Jun 20, 2015 6:13 AM

Jan 2015
_Charl said:
Talents and genetics.

You forgot money :P
Jun 20, 2015 6:15 AM

Mar 2014
Clockwerk93 said:
_Charl said:
Talents and genetics.

You forgot money :P

But then you'd have to add in social connections...
"I am the Bone of my Sword
Steel is my Body and Fire is my Blood
I have created over a Thousand Blades
Unaware of Loss,
Nor aware of Gain.
Withstood Pain to create Weapons, Waiting for one’s Arrival
I have no Regrets. This is the only Path
My whole life was Unlimited Blade Works"
Jun 20, 2015 6:19 AM

May 2015
Mostly money
Jun 20, 2015 6:34 AM

May 2014
_Charl said:
[s]Talents and genetics.
[/s]
effort and motivation.

Saberforlife said:
Mostly money

money can be compensated with time, also if u widen your gaze u might find BETTER alternatives that require less money.
Jun 20, 2015 6:35 AM

May 2014
@OP most of the people that i have encountered that HAVE NOT reached their goals are lazy ass bums with ZERO motivation and UNREALISTIC dreams.
naturally they wont achieve what they want.
Jun 20, 2015 6:37 AM

Apr 2013
I wouldn't call it genetic, but a lot of things are necessary. Personality, talent, passion, discipline (part of environment) are things imo necessary to achieve what you want to achieve.

Talent is necessary, but not exactly the only thing you need. I've seen quite a lot of talented people amount to exactly nothing in their respective fields, and I've seen "talent-less" but passionate people achieve great things.

I think some of you people place the value of intrinsic/in born talent far too highly. If you are born with basically no talents or gifts, it is possible to achieve them through hardwork. However, there are certain barriers you will never be able to overcome unless unless you "have it" - what ever the hell that means.

I believe that the average person has the capacity of achieving great things, but to my experience what distinguishes accomplished people (whether they're the average person, a gifted/genius person) from those who are not is the drive, and the will to accomplish something(s).

There is honestly nothing praiseworthy about having the capacity to do something. Your pride should lie in your accomplishments. So I seriously don't get why some people like to say stuff like "I'm really talented/smart, I'm just too lazy :PPP xDD" as if it's something be proud of, lol.
Jun 20, 2015 6:40 AM

Jun 2015
Good luck becoming a successful singer, unless you're a total hottie and/or a female, or you autotune your voice until it becomes beyond unnatural.

Shit's fucked up.

“The only days that I feel alive,
are the days that I feel deprived.”

Send me a friend request ~
Jun 22, 2015 4:40 PM

Jan 2014
i think its obvious, some people work really hard to achieve what they like and other don't u can achieve mostly everything if u get into it and work as hard as u can.
Jun 22, 2015 6:13 PM
Jun 2015
Because some people understand it while others don't mostly get the joke that is going on and yes it depends on the person.
Jun 22, 2015 6:14 PM

Jun 2014
It's all in how you look at it.
Jun 23, 2015 6:08 PM
Jul 2018
Money, Talent, Looks
Jun 23, 2015 6:43 PM

Aug 2014
Because that's how life works. Because the harsh truth is that even though all people have the same basic rights to life, all people are not created equal. Some people get dealt a good hand. Some people don't. That's obviously not the sole determinant, but it plays a pretty significant role.
Jun 23, 2015 6:56 PM

Oct 2012
So-called 'luck' might get someone 98% of the way, 2% of the time, but it's having the right kinds of motivation which will get people 98% of the way, 98% of the time.

Reducing people's accomplishments to natural talent/ genes is often an insult to the work they've put in, and the type of defeatist attitude which will stop you from getting what you want in life before you've even taken a shot.
VoltiiJun 23, 2015 7:00 PM

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Jun 23, 2015 7:00 PM

Jul 2014
NudeBear said:
I wouldn't call it genetic, but a lot of things are necessary. Personality, talent, passion, discipline (part of environment) are things imo necessary to achieve what you want to achieve.

Talent is necessary, but not exactly the only thing you need. I've seen quite a lot of talented people amount to exactly nothing in their respective fields, and I've seen "talent-less" but passionate people achieve great things.

I think some of you people place the value of intrinsic/in born talent far too highly. If you are born with basically no talents or gifts, it is possible to achieve them through hardwork. However, there are certain barriers you will never be able to overcome unless unless you "have it" - what ever the hell that means.

I believe that the average person has the capacity of achieving great things, but to my experience what distinguishes accomplished people (whether they're the average person, a gifted/genius person) from those who are not is the drive, and the will to accomplish something(s).

There is honestly nothing praiseworthy about having the capacity to do something. Your pride should lie in your accomplishments. So I seriously don't get why some people like to say stuff like "I'm really talented/smart, I'm just too lazy :PPP xDD" as if it's something be proud of, lol.

NudeBear posting like a real nigga

But yea this
MurauJun 23, 2015 7:04 PM
Jun 23, 2015 7:08 PM

Oct 2014
It's the way of this world. Some rise like the heavens, others fizzle out into failure. It's just the way of things.
"Dakimakura aren't meant for fucking." -Moog, January 2015

When a site's moderators warn you for condemning a troll, you know their moderators need to be changed out.
Jun 23, 2015 7:09 PM

Aug 2014
Involtus said:
So-called 'luck' might get someone 98% of the way, 2% of the time, but it's having the right kinds of motivation which will get people 98% of the way, 98% of the time.

Reducing people's accomplishments to natural talent/ genes is often an insult to the work they've put in, and the type of defeatist attitude which will stop you from getting what you want in life before you've even taken a shot.

While this is an admirable and understandable view to have, talent is very important. It's frankly naive to think that hard work and dedication can help you achieve your goals even close to most of the time. No amount of effort is going to make an average, untalented person successful. It just so happens that the successful people you see work extremely hard, along with being talented. In my view, having some kind of significant talent is necessary (but not sufficient) for success.
Jun 23, 2015 7:11 PM

Oct 2012
ImaginaryFire said:
Involtus said:

While this is an admirable and understandable view to have, talent is very important. It's frankly naive to think that hard work and dedication can help you achieve your goals even close to most of the time. No amount of effort is going to make an average, untalented person successful. It just so happens that the successful people you see work extremely hard, along with being talented. In my view, having some kind of significant talent is necessary (but not sufficient) for success.

What the fuck have you achieved?

Some people are born with major disadvantages and advantages, I don't deny it.
But anyone with the average can become extraordinary if they work. It's loser mentality to say otherwise. If you examine someone's life, someone who hasn't got their dreams, there's always a point at which they've stopped working. It's fine if there's something else they want, you don't have to dream big, but there's always more they could do.
Most successful people were not born with extreme talent.
And any kind of talent left unnurtured is altogether useless.
VoltiiJun 23, 2015 7:16 PM

Jun 23, 2015 7:12 PM

Aug 2014
Involtus said:
ImaginaryFire said:

More than you. Let's leave it at that.
Jun 23, 2015 7:13 PM

Mar 2015
“Talented people who know themselves never crave anything. People who don’t know themselves are always the ones who struggle hard to win, because they want to prove something.”

– Jou Koizumi, Ping Pong: The Animation
Jun 23, 2015 7:18 PM

Oct 2012
ImaginaryFire said:
Involtus said:

More than you. Let's leave it at that.

lol
It doesn't have to be 'more' or 'less'; preferably just an answer about what you're proud of.
but moving on

And what haven't you achieved and why not?

Jun 23, 2015 7:27 PM

Aug 2014
Involtus said:

There's plenty of things I haven't achieved.

I'm not an NBA player like I dreamed of being as a kid, because I lack the physical gifts to play such a sport in the most competitive sports league in the world.

I'm not a professional musician, because while I had the skills to be good enough to play at Carnegie Hall (which I did), there were always people who were just better than me. I practiced 3-4 hours a day for years on end and lost out most of my childhood to my instrument. I wouldn't call that lack of effort or dedication in any way.

I'm not a nuclear physicist, because again, I did not have the talents that others did in math and science.

However, I was able to accomplish things in other fields. Why? Because my talents and natural skills allowed me to beat out less skilled people who no doubt tried much harder than I did.

Saying that hard work and dedication can make the average person great is something naive people say to themselves before reality dick slaps them in the face.
Jun 23, 2015 7:28 PM

Nov 2008
Luck, trying new things, and connections

Jun 23, 2015 7:29 PM

Mar 2015
Life is unfair. Circustances and reasons depends on the situation.
Jun 23, 2015 7:31 PM

Mar 2015
ImaginaryFire said:
Involtus said:

I'm not an NBA player like I dreamed of being as a kid, because I lack the physical gifts to play such a sport in the most competitive sports league in the world.

I'm not a professional musician, because while I had the skills to be good enough to play at Carnegie Hall (which I did), there were always people who were just better than me. I practiced 3-4 hours a day for years on end and lost out most of my childhood to my instrument. I wouldn't call that lack of effort or dedication in any way.

I'm not a nuclear physicist, because again, I did not have the talents that others did in math and science.

However, I was able to accomplish things in other fields. Why? Because my talents and natural skills allowed me to beat out less skilled people who no doubt tried much harder than I did.

Saying that hard work and dedication can make the average person great is something naive people say to themselves before reality dick slaps them in the face.

I have to agree. People that have a talent for something will always be able to ascend higher and faster in places of expertise, than people who lack talent and work hard at it. It's like the x factor. Doesn't mean hard work isn't necessary, it is to nourish a talent. But it takes far less work when you have talent.
Jun 23, 2015 8:05 PM

Oct 2012
ImaginaryFire said:
Involtus said:

Nobody claimed talent doesn't help, or that a person can do anything they want to do regardless of how grounded it is in reality,
Part of being an average person is slight advantages and slight disadvantages in different areas compared to everyone else also balancing in the middle areas of 'natural talent', that's inevitable as soon as there's any variation in human beings.
But none of that invalidates 'anyone with the average can become extraordinary if they work'. None of that invalidates the idea that most people who fail do so because they give up.

People don't have innate knowledge of science, or muscle memory for music. People have different rates of learning, yes, but the people at the top in science, maths, music, and other fields are not the top learners in the world. They're more likely to be people who are incredibly passionate about the subjects they research, people who won't give up even if they fail to achieve a position, who won't stop rising even if they succeed in getting a position, and who aren't afraid to take drastic action that other people don't care for. Plenty of the top learners in the world aren't in these top positions, because they never aspired to anything in the first place or because they were never even willing to learn enough, or because they didn't know what to learn (because presentation, charisma, cheating, bargaining, these are useful anywhere and all learned techniques). There was a media overload, there were other people in their lives, or they just lacked the motivation.
VoltiiJun 23, 2015 8:10 PM

Jun 23, 2015 8:24 PM

Aug 2014
Involtus said:
Nobody claimed talent doesn't help, or that a person can do anything they want to do regardless of how grounded it is in reality,
Part of being an average person is slight advantages and slight disadvantages in different areas compared to everyone else also balancing in the middle areas of 'natural talent', that's inevitable as soon as there's any variation in human beings.
But none of that invalidates 'anyone with the average can become extraordinary if they work'. None of that invalidates the idea that most people who fail do so because they give up.

Tell that to the thousands of actors and actresses in LA who are still working in community theater and balancing shitty catering and waiting jobs in their 30s and 40s while looking for the shot that never comes.

Tell that to the thousands of D1 basketball players who never make it to the NBA because they aren't good enough, and toil away in obscurity in some shit league in Europe for the remainder of their careers, if they are lucky to be playing professionally at all. And these are guys who are way better than average. Sometimes, even better than average isn't enough. Sometimes, you have to have natural ability that 99% of the population couldn't even dream of having.

I said this before, and I'll say it again. The very best people in any field are people who are extraordinarily gifted, while also trying very hard. I'd even venture to say that an average person who tries their absolute best is still not as good as a gifted person who gives half the effort.

How many truly hard working and passionate people are there in the world? A lot. And how many truly successful people are there in the world, those whose names people will remember for decades after they have died? Not very many.
ImaginaryFireJun 23, 2015 8:31 PM
Jun 23, 2015 8:30 PM

Nov 2014
I think that everybody thinks that everybody else is really lucky and gets to do whatever they want so actually everybody is wrong... Life is unfair for everybody even when it's not.
Jun 23, 2015 8:35 PM

Jan 2009
i agree with ImaginaryFire, hardwork alone is not a guarantee of achieving your dreams
like i said on another thread only few succeed while many fail, social pyramid/hierarchy is everywhere, its survival of the fittest/luckiest out there
Jun 23, 2015 10:52 PM

Jun 2008
i find it funny people keep mentioning talent

what job you like is very subjective. some people like to be carpenters, some people like to be social workers, tons of people like to be the kind of professions that you don't really need all these "talent" to achieve.

its like people here are assuming everyone wants to have high lofty and highly unlikely obtainable goals.

I love the program I'm in now and love what I do. I can't say this magical word "talent" had much to do with it. It's a process of self-discovery, exploring options, and having the motivation to pull off the work required to find the position. I'm not trying to be some millionaire or like the highest paid position out there. I'm sure tons of people have these sort of unrealistic goals, but it's important to find what is the just-right challenge for you, instead of aiming, rather cluelessly, on the highest positions when it doesn't suit you due to whatever reasons.
Jun 23, 2015 11:00 PM

Jun 2008
Carl_Marx said:
Magic. No. There is numerous factors, if you want to be a pilot but you are blind for example.
why would a blind person possibly like to pilot if they cant see anything? o_O
Jun 23, 2015 11:25 PM
Jul 2018
Tachii said:
I can't say this magical word "talent" had much to do with it.

Talent had beat me hard when I was in middle school. I joined National Physics Olympiad and passed to semi-final. What I could I say is reality is not sweet as sugary cake. It showed me that you must have talent and remarkable effort. I got 4th place with 2 points different. It stressed me a lot, and in high school, I tried to avoid Olympiad and stuff, because it would open my old scars. Talent has greater impact for students.

Just like you said, talent isn't everything when it comes to get a job. I think skill and effort that works.
Jun 23, 2015 11:45 PM

Jun 2008
_Charl said:
Tachii said:
I can't say this magical word "talent" had much to do with it.

Talent had beat me hard when I was in middle school. I joined National Physics Olympiad and passed to semi-final. What I could I say is reality is not sweet as sugary cake. It showed me that you must have talent and remarkable effort. I got 4th place with 2 points different. It stressed me a lot, and in high school, I tried to avoid Olympiad and stuff, because it would open my old scars. Talent has greater impact for students.

Just like you said, talent isn't everything when it comes to get a job. I think skill and effort that works.
I'd say the impact is only there if people, can be teens or adults, aim to have unrealistic goals and not knowing their limitations. I'm sure many wants to be the best at something, but if you can't realistically achieve that anyway, it's pretty much just asking to shoot yourself down with unreasonable expectations.

I guess what I'm saying is, yeah sure talent will affect people if they're aiming for the top. But people should have realistic understandings of themselves and like their position regardless if they can't be the best. The answer to this thread really comes down to being able to change and adapt a mindset. I would agree teens would be greatly impacted, but only because it's the first time they come to the realization of their limitations and will commonly refuse to acknowledge reality with their ideals.
TachiiJun 23, 2015 11:48 PM
Jun 23, 2015 11:55 PM

Apr 2015
Basically luck and genetic

But its also possible if you've a strong desire to like it even though you actually hate it in the first place
WEABOO SCIENTIST
Jun 24, 2015 12:49 AM

Apr 2014
Tachii said:

It's a process of self-discovery, exploring options, and having the motivation to pull off the work required to find the position. I'm not trying to be some millionaire or like the highest paid position out there. I'm sure tons of people have these sort of unrealistic goals, but it's important to find what is the just-right challenge for you, instead of aiming, rather cluelessly, on the highest positions when it doesn't suit you due to whatever reasons.

Well put!

Unless someone lives at the verge of poverty and has to work long hours in a straining job to be able to survive, I think that everyone has the possibility of doing something they like, as long as they have a realistic mindset.
Most of the time, people don't even know what they like until they try it, so I think it's important to experience different reasonable activities that everyone can partake and see if there is something you enjoy and don't mind doing it for a long time, like a sport, or a martial art, or a club, etc.
Jun 24, 2015 9:22 AM

Sep 2013
Going from most important to least important,
Talent/Genetics
Environment
Support Network
Personality
Environment
Signature removed. Bro, can you please follow the signature rules? How many times do I have to tell you, 300kb MAX. You know we don't have the server space for your giant ass gifs. Site & Forum Guidelines (read them dumbass).

More topics from this board

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

31 by traed »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your average step count? [Poll] Do you think that you should take more steps?

Miscanthus - Today

18 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

45 by traed »»
9 minutes ago

» (Personality) Try to paste 3 different statements that matter to you

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

17 by Noboru »»
45 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

681 by blankflag »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.