Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 1, 2015 9:06 AM

Aug 2013
I had an experience where I was a member of a certain club here on MAL until today. I decided to leave after realising that it just wasn't for me. Some of this club's more active members were very elitist, pretentious and arrogant towards others. They claimed to be a highly intellectual club on MAL, and whilst it did attract some users who I thought wrote some fairly intelligent things at times, the prevailing attitude of elitism was something I grew to not be able to stomach any longer. It was a club I had invested much of my time and focus to being active on for quite a while, so it feels a bit regrettable.

Have any of you had similar experiences lately where you felt like you got involved in the wrong community? Share your experiences here.

I'm glad it was just an internet community I got that involved with, as I don't take the internet too seriously and it won't impact on my real life. But I'm sure many of you have had some more regrettable experiences, in real life or maybe even on the internet, too.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 1, 2015 9:08 AM

May 2014
Myanimelist is my greatest ongoing mistake, but then again so is everything from time to time.

I agree with you about some people letting their ego get to their head at times.
I've been here way too long...
May 1, 2015 9:13 AM

Aug 2013
Would love to hear some examples on what kind of attitude the club members exhibited that made you finally decide to leave. Must have been pretty elitist or shaming of others.

Also clubs are subject to the same rules as mal, you can report a club for members using it to single out individual users and attacking them personally.
May 1, 2015 9:14 AM

Jun 2012
worst group I ever joined was the "Basketball team" in high school

completely ruined the sport for me
I got to see firsthand how people can dedicate almost everything to one task and still be completely ignorant about what they are doing
from the coach down to the players "It was pure madness"
How long will it last
May 1, 2015 9:19 AM

Jun 2014
This club being mentioned in the OP is making me curious.

Anyway, I agree on some people being too elitist and having the herd mentality when claiming to be part of a group with stellar intellect.
May 1, 2015 9:29 AM

Aug 2013
Spooky_Love said:
Would love to hear some examples on what kind of attitude the club members exhibited that made you finally decide to leave. Must have been pretty elitist or shaming of others.

Also clubs are subject to the same rules as mal, you can report a club for members using it to single out individual users and attacking them personally.

It became a bit if a parody when the discussion topic on Skype was for days, something nonsense. There was a growing discord between users as some of the admins filtered into an elitist circlejerk that disregarded the criticisms of other members. It was meant to be a respectable club that took discussions seriously, but there was so much sarky replies and users being categorised according to the biases and subjective opinions of one or two that it just became degrading.

Maybe the idea itself is bound to produce this kind of prententios elitism when these clubs are made, or maybe it was just because of the characters of some of the creators. This kind of club has only failed before on MAL, though.
May 1, 2015 9:38 AM

Feb 2012
Autocrat said:
Spooky_Love said:

It became a bit if a parody when the discussion topic on Skype was for days, something nonsense. There was a growing discord between users as some of the admins filtered into an elitist circlejerk that disregarded the criticisms of other members. It was meant to be a respectable club that took discussions seriously, but there was so much sarky replies and users being categorised according to the biases and subjective opinions of one or two that it just became degrading.

Maybe the idea itself is bound to produce this kind of prententios elitism when these clubs are made, or maybe it was just because of the characters of some of the creators. This kind of club has only failed before on MAL, though.

It's the natural flow of communities of all kinds. At some point the oldfags just prefer to stick to their kind when there are too many newfags keep flooding the/their community.
May 1, 2015 9:45 AM

Mar 2014
Joining MAL was a mistake
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
May 1, 2015 11:18 AM
Jul 2018
Up until a few months ago I hung out with some questionable characters. My little "group" consisted of my sociopath (ex)boyfriend, a complete pervert who as of right now I hear has a court date for inappropriately groping a girl in her sleep, and my old stalker. It wasn't a good time.
May 1, 2015 11:23 AM

Oct 2008
AudioDruid said:
Up until a few months ago I hung out with some questionable characters. My little "group" consisted of my sociopath (ex)boyfriend, a complete pervert who as of right now I hear has a court date for inappropriately groping a girl in her sleep, and my old stalker. It wasn't a good time.

I just wonder what kind of person you are.
Hanging out with a sociopath, a pervert and a stalker.
But you made my day, thank you. :')
May 1, 2015 11:36 AM
Nov 2014
It happens me a lot to the point I label myself a social nomad. Sometimes given I don't trust the community, sometimes given the community don't trust me. In both IRL and online cases, in the end, I always leave sooner or later. That's why I prefer making simple two-based trustable friendships and avoiding circlejerks and group interaction unless it's useful like teamwork situations.
May 1, 2015 11:41 AM
Jul 2018
Drunk-fu said:
AudioDruid said:

That's a bit hard to answer. I don't think I'm a good judge of my own character because of a lot of insecurities I have. But I guess I'm the type of person who lets people walk on me too much :/ it's something I'm trying to work on. Which stopping hanging out with them was one of my first steps so ^^ I think I've made progress.

And you're welcome :) though, I'm not 100% sure how I made your day lol
May 1, 2015 11:44 AM

Jul 2012
I've had similar experiences with certain clubs on here and certain boards elsewhere. I can roll with a lot of things, but elitism isn't one of them. Its frustrating.
May 1, 2015 11:46 AM

May 2013
not as bad as getting stuck living in a crack house
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 1, 2015 11:56 AM

Oct 2012
I had a similar opinion.
damastah said:

Anyway, I agree on some people being too elitist and having the herd mentality when claiming to be part of a group with stellar intellect.

I made an educated guess just from their username and the thread title.
The body of the post also seems to support

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
May 1, 2015 12:00 PM

Mar 2008
I usually just jump from group to group of people quite a bit so I never feel like im within a certain group specifically. I suppose ive spoken to people I rewlly shouldnt have. Some people even fucked with my mentality from how horrible they are.
May 1, 2015 12:02 PM
Feb 2014
I'm pretty sure I have more than twice. Both of the times though, it was mainly just social experimentation to see if I actually could effectively "blend in" somewhere but ended up being too upset with the results both times. But usually the best thing to do if you don't feel like you belong, is just to leave. It's the Internet, no one should care about what people actually want.

I like your willpower. You seem one of the stronger and less deceitful of the debaters around here and for that, I'll take you a little more seriously than the rest of those who are in your league. Part of why I don't debate on MAL is because I find their actions too inauthentic and forced, like Daconator has pointed out. I'm better off just using my own instincts rather than taking stuff off the Internet as my arguments. Is there something wrong with that? I don't think so.
May 1, 2015 12:03 PM

Jul 2012
Involtus said:
I had a similar opinion.
damastah said:

Oh boy. Another elitist club for me to attempt to join and then never interact with.
May 1, 2015 12:05 PM

May 2012
I accidenatally joined a cult because my friend asked me to hang out with her and some people around our age at this place, thought the people were cool but I think it was just a christian community.
save all the cute girls from ntr manga
May 1, 2015 12:05 PM

Oct 2008
AudioDruid said:
Drunk-fu said:

That's a bit hard to answer. I don't think I'm a good judge of my own character because of a lot of insecurities I have. But I guess I'm the type of person who lets people walk on me too much :/ it's something I'm trying to work on. Which stopping hanging out with them was one of my first steps so ^^ I think I've made progress.

And you're welcome :) though, I'm not 100% sure how I made your day lol

Well, it was kind of funny to read about the group you've mentioned.
If you think about it as an outsider, the first question comes to mind is what kind of person is who hangs out with the mentioned ones. I might go to hell for laughing at that part.

On a serious note, im happy that you no longer hang out with them, especialy since apparently you weren't really fitting that group.

Oh right, i don't recall anything like hanging out with the wrong people. Pehaps i could mention a few from my childhood. But i prety much no longer go outside (work and training aside). So this danger isn't affecting me much. On the internet im true to myself and to what i used to say, you can always just walk away.
VargrMay 1, 2015 12:11 PM
May 1, 2015 12:13 PM

Mar 2008
Know said:
I accidenatally joined a cult because my friend asked me to hang out with her and some people around our age at this place, thought the people were cool but I think it was just a christian community.
If they did not want members speaking to outsiders, its a cult.
May 1, 2015 12:13 PM

Oct 2013
I've come near to straying into the "wrong" communities. Most of time I had friends who pulled me away from it, or I knew that I was going off the path. It's not often that I stray, and I know when I am. Getting into the wrong community is often difficult to get out of. But if you're confident in setting yourself apart from that group, community, society, then you can just say "fuck it" and move on.
May 1, 2015 12:34 PM

May 2013
it's always good experience to meet new people. you can't just assume that every group of people you meet is going to be a perfect environment, but that is life, you can't have adventures if you don't go out of your comfort zone
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
May 1, 2015 12:35 PM

May 2014
TheConquerer said:
Myanimelist is my greatest ongoing mistake, but then again so is everything from time to time.

I agree with you about some people letting their ego get to their head at times.

+1

Yeah I left my club today too, I was wondering why I was in it in the first place and came to the conclusion that it wasn't of any worth to me.
May 1, 2015 1:06 PM

Aug 2013
I knew which club he was talking about right away lul as for living and constantly talking in clubs and skyping mal user groups thats just a level of sad im not ever prepared to cross. too many mal users accept this website community too far into their lives.
May 1, 2015 1:09 PM

Apr 2012
Spooky_Love said:
I knew which club he was talking about right away lul as for living and constantly talking in clubs and skyping mal user groups thats just a level of sad im not ever prepared to cross. too many mal users accept this website community too far into their lives.
I agree some of the club's elitist aspects are "sad", but I don't necessarily see why Skyping with MALers is. It's just a convenient way of talking to people you meet here who you want to continue talking to.
May 1, 2015 1:10 PM

Jul 2012
cause said:
Chat Club.

damastah said:

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=64507
Chat club isn't elitist or rude though. No one actually has a problem as long as you don't act like a complete fool there. They're just a fun talking club for people to hang out and talk about things.
May 1, 2015 1:11 PM

Aug 2013
Solipsistic said:
I agree some of the club's elitist aspects are "sad", but I don't necessarily see why Skyping with MALers is. It's just a convenient way of talking to people you meet here who you want to continue talking to.

For me personally it just takes a simple forum you post on too far into your life, when you start vocally talking over skype and chatting with users regularly outside of mal it becomes something else and as many has regretted around here when it becomes something else it gets complicated. As Ive said I don't view anyone on mal as a friend regardless how long I know someone because I always keep online communities at a certain length, I don't want them in my personal life. Shit I mean look what all that shitstorm was about two week ago, skype chatting mal members.

You bunch of psychopathic lolicon loving elitist weebs ;)
SpooksMay 1, 2015 1:15 PM
May 1, 2015 1:13 PM
Mar 2013
if you want a club for real intelligent discussion, check out my club

OT: I think chat club during summer last year was downright horrid. I left the club because most of the regulars were just very toxic to be around. It has improved now since certain individuals have stopped posting there. There are a few other clubs on MAL I wouldn't willingly involve myself with.

As for real life, I have never really involved myself with cliques or anything like that. I often avoid people I see as being negative and haven't really been influenced by them.
May 1, 2015 1:14 PM

Jan 2013
"Joining MAL" comments are always cringy worthy. People, why?

OT: I try not to socialize with the delinquents of my area
May 1, 2015 1:16 PM

Apr 2012
Spooky_Love said:
Solipsistic said:

For me personally it just takes a simple forum you post on too far into your life, when you start vocally talking over skype and chatting with users regularly outside of mal it becomes something else and as many has regretted around here when it becomes something else it gets complicated. As Ive said I don't view anyone on mal as a friend regardless how long I know someone because I always keep online communities at a certain length, I don't want them in my personal life.
Fair enough. It definitely does complicate things, and it's always a good idea to be cautious about how much you reveal to people online.

That said, you can still just use a pseudonym, fake pic, and opt out of voice calls if you're that concerned about it. I don't think it's wise to "always" have a policy of no-online-friends, seeing as there are plenty of cases where people have made real friends (and even entered RL relationships) with people they met online. You just have to be very selective with who you trust.

If people do decide to do that, it's not "sad". It just means they're less guarded than you.
May 1, 2015 1:19 PM

Mar 2015
Battlechili1 said:
Chat club isn't elitist or rude though. No one actually has a problem as long as you don't act like a complete fool there. They're just a fun talking club for people to hang out and talk about things.

I strongly and respectfully disagree with your opinion. But I have no intention of trying to argue over this.
May 1, 2015 1:20 PM

Aug 2013
Solipsistic said:

If people do decide to do that, it's not "sad". It just means they're less guarded than you.

What are you trying to say?

May 1, 2015 1:28 PM

Jul 2012
cause said:

I strongly and respectfully disagree with your opinion. But I have no intention of trying to argue over this.
Ah.
Very well.
May 1, 2015 1:29 PM

Apr 2012
Spooky_Love said:
Solipsistic said:

Get that nub shit outta here. Come back when you have a real armor set.
May 1, 2015 1:32 PM

Dec 2014
Not only In MAL?

Well, I think so..
Today they say you're crazy, tomorrow they will say you're a genious.
May 1, 2015 1:34 PM

Oct 2008
Solipsistic said:
Spooky_Love said:

Sorry i grown up on mmorpgs. I always thought an armor is like this. :/

Though i gotta admit, it'd look weird on a grown man.
May 1, 2015 1:37 PM

Aug 2013
Drunk-fu said:
Solipsistic said:

Sorry i grown up on mmorpgs. I always thought an armor is like this. :/

Though i gotta admit, it'd look weird on a grown man.

Prefer this type:

May 1, 2015 2:16 PM
Feb 2014
Chat Club is nice to me and I'm not a girl.

I can imagine those elitist clubs to be disrespectful of others who don't align with their worldviews, whether they be anime or philosophy bent. If anything, I like practical and mutual discussion more than circlejerking/philosophical anyways.
May 1, 2015 2:23 PM

Jan 2009
i never take part on those chat clubs or elitists clubs, i hate drama and the feeling of being bullied in real life so the same is true about the internet
May 1, 2015 2:25 PM
Jan 2015
Involtus said:
I had a similar opinion.
damastah said:

An IQ tier lists on anime users? I'm wetting my burqa now in cringing embarrassment.
May 1, 2015 2:28 PM

Mar 2013
Yes. The community's/forum's name is Himeuta. Unless you are a fan of unpredictable elitism, do not frequent forums that have the reputation system.

I became a forum moderator on Himeuta and was soon after that demodded because the community rioted due to me having too many downvotes, saying: "He's not appropriate to be a mod! He must act inappropriately to have rep this low! I'm afraid for the forum's safety!"

That's what you get when you mix downvotes from opinion disagreements with general negative behavior. Oh, and I got this many downvotes on a suggestion thread I put up to remove the reputation system. How ironic that it was the reason for my "fall".

But yeah. Don't go around communities with the reputation system. It's shit.
Apr 2014
otakuloserperson said:
No, I only join wholesome and positive clubs.

Don't you have an entire club dedicated to bullying you? I don't see how that's positive and wholesome.....

I kind of regret joining this dude's harem on mal.
Feb 2014
BlueScarf said:
Involtus said:
I had a similar opinion.

An IQ tier lists on anime users? I'm wetting my burqa now in cringing embarrassment.

Tier 4 right here just because I haven't read Atlas Shrugged yet.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and my IQ is 137 I think. "Below average" by MAL standards.
AqutanMay 1, 2015 2:31 PM
May 1, 2015 2:59 PM

Apr 2012
Involtus said:
I had a similar opinion.
damastah said:

Of course it's this one. I thought of this instantly and when I checked the members, Autocrat isn't there.

So that means it's the one, considering you can't post comments when you're not a member and he posted one just recently.

Kek, so not even that club is something for you, Auto? That's some harsh shit, but I guess you've grown out of the "Debate club", considering you acted the same way at the time, maybe a bit worse.

Anyway, no, not really, but I've left skype chats because of complete and utter idiocy or simply because of no interest in their subjects and members.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
May 1, 2015 3:12 PM

Apr 2013
Feels like you made this thread as a roundabout way to shit talk on people. Then again I don't blame you, most of them act like huge pricks.
May 1, 2015 3:12 PM

Apr 2012
NudeBear said:
Feels like you made this thread as a roundabout way to shit talk on people.
Duuh.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
May 1, 2015 3:13 PM

Oct 2008
To me, this club appears to be a bunch of casual, not really anime fan people licking eachothers ass on a regular basis. And if you don't join the human centipede, you'll be banished for eternity.
May 1, 2015 3:20 PM

Apr 2012
My old roommate was a drug dealer, which led me to hanging out with some sketchy people lol. I mean my roommate was pretty chill but some of the people he was acquainted with were pretty skettttch

May 1, 2015 3:22 PM
Feb 2014
Zeally said:
My old roommate was a drug dealer, which led me to hanging out with some sketchy people lol. I mean my roommate was pretty chill but some of the people he was acquainted with were pretty skettttch

bruh wtf man
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I got a girlfriend recently and she gets really emotional when i pay for things for her. Why do you think that is?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

22 by DigiCat »»
25 minutes ago

» How do you travel daily

ST63LTH - May 3

27 by elgatosaika »»
36 minutes ago

» is blocking users a admitance of cowardice?

vasipi4946 - May 2

45 by Freshell »»
2 hours ago

» Have you ever really sit down and really think about the short term and long term effects of AI in your industry?

tsukareru - 3 hours ago

9 by Dracowyn »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » do you believe that scientific theory are just a theory and scientific consensus are just opinions?

deg - May 3

19 by Freshell »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.