Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 25, 2015 6:30 PM

Nov 2014
Mmm.. yeah. Gamers should be opting away from paid DLC. It's gotten way out of hand.
Apr 25, 2015 6:35 PM

May 2014
SolidusSmoke said:
Mmm.. yeah. Gamers should be opting away from paid DLC. It's gotten way out of hand.
That it has. EA is especially nefarious with them, when they come out with day 1 DLC. Fucking grubby little corporate asshats they are
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Apr 25, 2015 9:58 PM

Feb 2010
This fits in Valve business philosophy, which is to sit back and watch community created content make money for them. I am always impressed with how they manage to monetize steam and still retains their relatively good corporate image.

Then again, Gaben AMA is more PR 101.
Apr 26, 2015 5:40 AM

Oct 2010
live2win said:
This fits in Valve business philosophy, which is to sit back and watch community created content make money for them. I am always impressed with how they manage to monetize steam and still retains their relatively good corporate image.

Then again, Gaben AMA is more PR 101.

The thing is that Bethesda game mods are a diffrent beast than hats in TF2.
It worked for TF2 cause Valve designed a framework to monetize user generated content from the getgo cause it was their game and the UGC was mostly simplistic in it's nature.

Now with an Elder Scrolls games the so called user generated content can range from a simple companion NPC mod to entire weapon and armor sets or DLC sized expansion packs, all of which was or still is guaranteed to be free. You can see that from a company stand point this can all seem like a gold mine waiting to be exploited. Even though it means clearing out the natives to exploit that mine.

So the reason for the backlash is mostly caused by fear. People are afraid of how corporate policy can easily destroy and entire community dedicated to creating content. I mean you can't tell me that the gaming industry has exacly been a paragon of customer relations these past few years.

Soul-Master said:
Narmy said:

I don't know why anyone would pay for mods when the base game is broken anyway. I stopped playing Skyrim for good after the latest patch broke the lip sync, and they have shown no intention of fixing it. Not to mention all the other bugs that you need mods to fix.

It's a Bethesda game, that means it's unplayable shit without mods. Only idiots would pay for a broken game + mods to fix it. Oh wait, most people are idiots and are highly likely to actually do this.
Anyway, if you don't like this or don't want to this to continue.... don't support it.

I really have never minded vanilla Bethesda games. I think everyone really just over reacts. Bethesda bugs are hardly ever game breaking, just annoying. The fact that their games are huge with thousands of varibles to take into account I can excuse a crazy ragdoll dragon or two.
Apr 26, 2015 5:45 AM

Jun 2014
This is just a little bit stupid in my opinion. Who would spend money on a product that might not even be working properly? You can even get the mods for free if you go to other websites for example. And if you think this was worthy of your money just donate money to the creator.
Apr 26, 2015 8:39 AM

Apr 2012
NOOOOO, NOTHING IS HAPPENING GUYS.

NOTHING AT ALL.
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/33q8pz/skyui_dev_announces_project_will_be_targeted_for/

NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOPE, NOTHING AT ALL.

For some reason, it seems I was right.

Noooo, this is and never will be a real slippery slope. We aren't being fucked in the ass or anything.

Nope.
https://archive.is/p0F6f
Nooope.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Apr 26, 2015 10:39 AM

Oct 2010

Download all the mods
Apr 26, 2015 11:01 AM

Apr 2012
Someone from Valve even claims this could have been a grave mistake.

And they might go against it entirely if this type of boycott continues and if shit in general won't work.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/valve-employee-admits-may-completely-wrong-regarding-paid-mods/

https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop
Do something against this crap.

Just look at the quality control.
http://imgur.com/gallery/qFlFa

Autocrat said:
Apr 26, 2015 11:26 AM

Oct 2010
Immahnoob said:

Just look at the quality control.
http://imgur.com/gallery/qFlFa

Worth the weight.
Apr 26, 2015 4:32 PM
Jan 2015
LibertyPrime said:

Download all the mods
DAMN, GABE GOT REKT
Apr 26, 2015 4:39 PM
Jan 2015
Also, I change my mind. Reading further into this... Disgusting.

I went on Neogaf and there's so many people sucking corporate dick as well. I'm so glad I left that shitty "gamer" forum.

Apr 26, 2015 4:49 PM

Oct 2012
i just find it amusing that valve apparently take a percentage of the profit despite not doing a lot
so it's obviously just for their own pockets

also that nothing really stops you from producing crap and getting paid now, as long as you give the mod a somewhat misleading title and a cool screenshot
i think it will encourage people who aren't very good at modding to mod more than the others, who are the ones who have been modding all this time anyway

mod ideas:
'world enhancer mod' drop a rock somewhere, screenshot of regular world with a filter
'dwarf race mod' copy human and cut their height, screenshot of dwarven armour
that's that

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Apr 27, 2015 12:15 AM

Apr 2015
Never though I'd say Gabe get downvoted on reddit...
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Apr 27, 2015 2:43 AM
May 2009
Good for modders, bad for people who want to get mods for free.

However no gurantee of the mods being good.
Apr 27, 2015 2:50 AM

Apr 2012
shintai88 said:
Good for modders, bad for people who want to get mods for free.

However no gurantee of the mods being good.
No, it's bad for everyone involved.

Autocrat said:
Apr 27, 2015 4:29 PM

Jul 2013
Apr 27, 2015 4:56 PM
Jan 2015
Nice
Apr 27, 2015 6:08 PM

Feb 2010
They backtracked because they knew they won't get away from it. I hope people don't go back to worshipping corporate who sees them as nothing more than a data point. Heck, even Gabe Newell AMA says that explicitly with “money is how the community steers work”.

Marketers sure love all the dumbass who build an altar of Reggie, Kaz Hirai, Phil Spencer, GabeN in their bedrooms.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

All these PR speech that never amount to something but to appease disgruntled customer.
Apr 27, 2015 6:19 PM

Apr 2012
http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3434it/paid_mods_in_the_steam_workshop/

http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218

AND THEY RUN WHEN THE SUN COMES UP.

WITH THEIR LIVES ON LINE

ALIIIIIIIVE

So we won, now what?

Autocrat said:
Apr 27, 2015 7:22 PM

Oct 2010
My god... we've won, by the emperor it is done.
Apr 27, 2015 9:37 PM
Jan 2014
I'm glad that the Valve removed the paid mods from the workshop. I really wasn't liking the fact that some of my favorite mods (Sky UI and Wet and Cold) were going to be on this paid mod plan. The only bad thing about this removal of paid mods is that the future for quality, professional mods could now be nonexistent.

Valve's message to the community:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/SteamWorkshop/announcements/detail/208632365253244218
Apr 27, 2015 11:10 PM

Oct 2009
Steam said:
"our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to, and to encourage developers to provide better support to their mod communities."

Ha, who would believe that? It's free money grab for them and instead throwing all the issue back to the mod creators, like they always did.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 27, 2015 11:58 PM

Apr 2015
Considering it looked like valve would be bathing in money, I'm surprised they decided not to keep it, although glad.
hi
Sets
Last FM
Anime List
Manga List
Clue no. 2: Somewhere in one of the pictures in my forum signature.
Apr 28, 2015 12:34 AM

Oct 2011
"We understand our own game's communities pretty well, but stepping into an established, years old modding community in Skyrim was probably not the right place to start iterating. We think this made us miss the mark pretty badly, even though we believe there's a useful feature somewhere here."

They've backed down on paid mods for Skyrim, but it's not going away. They'll bring it back under a different game in the future.
Apr 28, 2015 12:45 AM

Apr 2013
azzuRe said:

Which means the developers won't get any extra money from the mods. Even an advertising agency need to renew their contract with the producers if they want to publish ads beyond their initial contract, or how merchandising mechanics works for authors.

Also to go with your logic, consumers already paid for the base game, I don't see why the publishers must also gets extra money for every something that is not created by them. I suspect this is just a scheme to get them agree to make their published game moddable while also giving revenue for valve.

The most sinister grand scheme I can think of this is related to the earlier controversy of DMCA extension to include Abandonware by ESA, which if we extend its main argument means any game that is NOT following the official mod model can be considered as 'illegal modding' or 'jailbreaking' and can be outlawed.

Suddenly I remember DOA 5..

Yes, the developers won't get any extra money because they don't actually do anything. Though in this case it's actually not worth discussing because Bethesda is developer and publisher.

The publisher gets money because the new developers aka modders are using their engine and their tools. Making an own game is much harder than simply making a mod.

Of course I don't support what Valve is trying to do here, but I can't really blame a publisher for agreeing to this.
Apr 28, 2015 6:28 AM
Jun 2014
WE WON! We took that ring, ran into mordor and threw into the fire but Gaben will be back, darkness cannot exist without light.
KaiwaiikillahApr 28, 2015 6:36 AM
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Apr 28, 2015 6:51 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Nice! Letting our displeasure be known.

It'll only get harder from here on out.
Apr 28, 2015 1:30 PM
Apr 28, 2015 1:48 PM

Feb 2008
It's amusing how reddit went back to worshiping Gaben as if nothing happened. Oh well, memes gonna be memes. A meme doesn't die easily.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 28, 2015 3:51 PM

Aug 2014
Howard and Newell removed the paid mods for Skyrim. Banzai!!!

Lol, it literally lasted for like, two days. The modding community is certainly a force to be reckoned with.
Apr 29, 2015 1:20 AM

Oct 2009
Meanwhile...
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 29, 2015 1:24 AM

Jul 2012
Gonna grab me that $99.99 horse genitalia mod!
Apr 29, 2015 2:41 AM

Oct 2013
live2win said:
They backtracked because they knew they won't get away from it. I hope people don't go back to worshipping corporate who sees them as nothing more than a data point. Heck, even Gabe Newell AMA says that explicitly with “money is how the community steers work”.

Marketers sure love all the dumbass who build an altar of Reggie, Kaz Hirai, Phil Spencer, GabeN in their bedrooms.

Now that you've backed a dump truck of feedback onto our inboxes, we'll be chewing through that, but if you have any further thoughts let us know.

All these PR speech that never amount to something but to appease disgruntled customer.

Gaben is not wrong on the money part.

Even before this whole fiasco, money was important to the best modders. After a certain point of success, fame and interest may no longer be enough for a modder's time. The Donation button existed long before Steam Workshop itself.
Apr 29, 2015 2:44 AM

Apr 2012
Donations and having to pay are two different things.

I'm fine with a donation button as I'll never use it. But fuck you if you think I'll pay for your mods. I'll pirate the shit out of it.

Autocrat said:
Apr 29, 2015 2:52 AM

Nov 2008
Immahnoob said:
So we won, now what?
Complain about Big Picture Mode. It's a nuisance.

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
1 hour ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

55 by BitChilly »»
1 hour ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

524 by SnipeStrike »»
2 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
7 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.