Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Mar 29, 2015 5:28 PM

Jan 2013
I was expecting to see Maria's Family at the end or something. 7/10 for me definitely one of my favorites this season.
OSOI!
Mar 29, 2015 5:36 PM
Oct 2012
linchpin said:
not having accomplished anything you have fought

What exactly was Maria "fighting" for? Given her power she really didn't seem to be accomplishing much of anything.

linchpin said:
Praise God's mercy!

It seems odd to blame God for poor writing, generally I blame the writer.
Mar 29, 2015 5:50 PM

Aug 2013
This show is so underrated it hurts me. Just like Donten ni Warau from last season. I liked this series because the setting and the plot was unique. It brought up a lot of philosophical questions that I normally don't think about and I liked that.

Michael is super OP and Bernard turned into a pile of dust. Wow!

8/10 from this girl!
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Mar 29, 2015 6:24 PM
Apr 2013
It was a nice show and all, but the whole misogynistic "you lose your powers if you lose your virginity" theme grossed me out.

7/10 despite that, it was a solid watch and I always like happy endings.
Mar 29, 2015 6:37 PM

Mar 2014
It seems Michael takes slightly more offense to being choked than he does to being shot with a crossbow.

Anyways, one of the better shows this season along with Death Parade and Yuri Kuma Arashi. The ending is really happy that made my heart melt. Love really conquers all. I love how Michael questions everyone who Maria is to them. Controversial and Underrated and also Heartwarming. 8/10
A drama has a progressive thought, an emotional climax and a resolution, but our lives aren't like that. All we get day after day, are a bunch of vague anxieties that are never really resolved.

- Yamazaki Kaoru
(Welcome to the N.H.K)
Mar 29, 2015 6:41 PM
Oct 2012
MrsKujo said:
It was a nice show and all, but the whole misogynistic "you lose your powers if you lose your virginity" theme grossed me out.

Although ultimately she did not lose them even when she did.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I think the writer had a point behind that which ended up not being properly explained.

Maria was acting like a child with her tossing magic around. Michael's condition was basically to say: okay if you want to act like a child, as long as you remain a child (i.e. not have sex) you can retain your powers. When Maria finally decided to act more like an adult, Michael didn't enforce this restriction because he knew that Maria would be more responsible. This is why I think he "gave" them Ezekiel to raise. Now Maria has to think of how her actions will impact her family before acting.

The strange thing about this animation is that I think the writer was trying to say something very different than most of the people who liked it think the writer was trying to say. Of course being Japanese their views on Christianity are different than those of use who were raised in this culture, but in general I think the writer was telling a tale about a child growing up to be an adult. The problem only being that they couldn't actually succeed in telling this tale.
Mar 29, 2015 7:10 PM

Dec 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
The last part is pretty easy. First, it was Ann who was narrating the last part. Throughout the show, she made it a point to state that Maria was a virgin, and at the end, when Ann was narrating as an old woman, you've pretty much hinted that Maria lost her virginity to Joseph in order to birth Ezekiel.

It wasnt old Ann, because at the end, the narrator said that Maria lived happy ever after together with her and Ann in the village. So it cant be Ann.
Mar 29, 2015 7:16 PM

May 2011
Michael the angel "you gonna give birth to my spear", point to the virgin maria
Ok, now we know who'll be the next GOD :) and it's a girl
Mar 29, 2015 8:00 PM

Aug 2014
I wish the fight was a little more extravagant then OP Michael OHKO the whole guild. It would have been better if they band together to put up more of a fight. And I feel like Maria all of a sudden becoming part of the world's balance was just a cop-out. Again, would have been fine if they put up more resistance and if more people vouched for Maria's kindness and good deeds. Changing the decision of Michael to let her live, but continue to stop her. But it came too suddenly. Still my favorite of the season.
Honoka is my Hero! Click Me!
Mar 29, 2015 8:21 PM
Jul 2018
Nice to see the witches gathered together to fight Micheal!

Maria is being forgive by heavens.

Ezekiel is able to be human.
Mar 29, 2015 8:30 PM

May 2013
That was a good ending. Though I am curious whether Maria losr her virginity and dem no kiss.

7/10. Continued this anime because people said that this was a controversial anime and I was right kek.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Mar 29, 2015 9:00 PM

Sep 2014
I was bouncing like them owls in the end, great ending for a peculiar anime series. Maria is as cute as ever. I hope they throw in an OVA with baby Popo-chan Ezekiel.
Mar 29, 2015 9:23 PM

Jan 2011
This turned out to be such a surprise. It was such a great little story. I was rolling my eyes before this aired but it really...surprised me.

In addition to really enjoying the story, this show demonstrated "old school" witch craft. You don't get to see this kind of "magical" show anymore. Since this turned back the clock to the medieval era, it was nice to experience this style of magic in a show. Personally it appeals more to me which is why Little Witch Academy for example was so charming. Just another pro

Solid show.
IZEROIIMar 29, 2015 9:30 PM
Mar 29, 2015 9:29 PM

Jul 2009
Aww that made me feel all warm and fuzzy
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Mar 29, 2015 10:18 PM

Jan 2013
I really wanted to see a tastefully done sex scene. Or at least their child at the end.
Still a good ending.
8/10
Mar 29, 2015 11:02 PM

Jun 2013
Wonderful ending.
Very happy for Maria, Joseph and their future daughter :)

8/10.
Mar 29, 2015 11:25 PM

Jul 2009
Good ending!

I don't mind talking 80% of the time.

I'm glad the other witches at least tried to defend Maria, despite her acting cold towards them in the first few episodes.

I really thought Joseph was going to die, but it seem he got spared as well.

It was nice to see what people thought of Maria. Despite her stopping wars recklessly, she's at least doing what she think is right.

I'm glad Martha confessed her sins to Michael and Maria. At least it made her realize how important Maria is in her life.

Woah Michael actually has a sense of humor :O

I really thought at least God would appear in the scene, but it seems he's too good for him to appear before them.

Ezekiel becomes Maria's daughter in her womb huh? So Joseph won't actually be able to have sex with her(maybe after she's born?)

To be honest i was hoping there would something special on how Maria loses her virginity, but this is good enough.

So the witches will be going to the west, while Viv will be going back to England to take care some business. I hope she comes back to see Edwina once in awhile ^^

Galfa and Lolotte will be going to other parts of the world to stay away from Maria as possible, Bernard turns into salt and Gilbert couldn't believe that Maria is now part of the human world.

Cernunnos is voiced by Takaya Hashi. I know since he really sounds like his Skull Face voice from Metal Gear Solid V :)

He was actually a good thing after all. I always thought he was like the snake in Adam's Eve where he would tempt everyone to do something.

But Michael said that he was the God of Peace? Was this the same thing Joseph mentioned about meeting the hermit?

Looks like Priapos and Artemis will be staying in their familiar forms for a long time.

Glad Maria and Joseph joins the village. Still i don't forgive them for trying to burn Maria in a few episodes ago.

Love the ending song! Feels very old time like :)

Good stuff!! I know the manga ended it too quickly and was hoping they would explore the world of Maria. Like the past village plague, maybe battle with a rogue witch, or Michael joining or assigning a task to Maria to do something in the name of God.

Also God appearing would be nice as well. Maybe he is interested to Maria or something.

Oh well it's over so no point dwelling now. May i ask where to read the manga and all?? I want to compare the ending of the Anime and Manga.

Lots of potential, i just wish they explore more instead of ending and taking away Maria's virginity so quickly.

I give this an 8/10 just for the beautiful animation, great music as well as story about the Church and it's back door deals(I'm sure it's much worse in the past compared to what's shown here)

I really hope we get more Witch Anime's! I know Witch Craft Works came out last year. At least we're getting an adaptation of Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo :)

Farewell Maria! Enjoyed Kanemoto, Hisako's voice here :)

Hope to see her more in future Anime works.

SomaHeirMar 30, 2015 7:12 PM
Mar 29, 2015 11:52 PM
May 2008
I really wonder if the happily ever after ending would have actually happened. Bernard turning to ash would have happened anyways, i.e. burned at the stake, since his scrolls would probably be viewed as heretic, and he was supposidly proposing a new religion..

So that left that little brat of a monk in charge, he seemed to hold a grudge vs maria, and it is kinda doubtful the villagers would just allow her to join with them that easily. They sorta skipped those parts.

But having Arch angel michael say they forgive her for everything she has done etc might actually have helped her become accepted by the rest and also perhaps impossible to be burned at the stake again? Obviously if the church did try anything it would have to be after priapos would be born, heaven might have protected Maria till then..

Also it's kinda surprising that if maria has no powers wouldn't she die from trying to stop a war or fights? She's pretty weak without her powers..

So there are a few things which make me question the happily ever after ending.
Mar 29, 2015 11:54 PM

Jun 2013
Weird as hell ending for a weird as hell series.

I could not predict anything this series, but the ending with her being with Joseph was pretty obvious I guess
Mar 30, 2015 12:00 AM

Jan 2011
Well, 8/10 for me. In this shitty anime season this was one decent show, so just for that reason it gets +0,5 to a solid 8 :)
Mar 30, 2015 12:24 AM
Aug 2014
An unusual anime. 8/10
Mar 30, 2015 2:05 AM

Jan 2013
Not bad, but I have to say it went "Japanese" too much towards the end, especially about Guillaume. And, wtf Maria, did you just stop thinking about your "idea" after marriage? Ugh. Wehlp, I guess wrtiers couldn't go too radical.
DawnJMar 30, 2015 2:22 AM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Mar 30, 2015 2:25 AM

Oct 2012
MrsKujo said:

I'd say, considering the context of the series, the time and place of its setting (Medieval European 'Christendom') and the enemy Maria was up against - the 'Church of Heaven' at the height of its power - I think it makes a lot of sense for her nemesis to hold Maria hostage with her chastity.

I find it highly unlikely that Maria's virginity being the deciding factor for the state of her powers was a decision made by the mangaka or animation studio as a demonstration of their wanting to suppress women. I think it was showing the very real suppression of female (and any non-hetero male) sexuality in Medieval Christian Europe and the obsession with female virginity in the Abrahamic faiths (which still holds sway today, much less so than in Maria's time however).
Mar 30, 2015 2:34 AM

Nov 2013
love that ending
Mar 30, 2015 4:03 AM

Jul 2013
It's one of the more interesting anime of this season for sure. I still feel like they were holding back a bit though. The war for instance, was really just a series of minor skirmishes instead of full-blown massacre bad enough for Maria to deal with while Bernard got killed before he got the chance to expand on his twisted ideas (for a second I thought he was going to start medieval scientology there).

The resolution to the conflict left me unsatisfied though. It felt counterproductive when Michael asked the people what they think about Maria as many are obviously displeased by her. Do you know what that reminded me of? when Pontius Pilate asked the crowd whether he should punish Jesus for his "atrocities". It's just ironic how God decided that was the best way to deal with Maria.

It also felt weak how the positive minority somehow outweighed the majority negative opinions, maybe it was to show that God is merciful or something but it pretty much returned the whole situation to the status quo. Then again it might have not mattered since God most likely already knew that Maria won't be able to do much without her magic anyway. By forcing (and I use that word very loosely here) Ezekiel to be reincarnated as Maria's baby, God pretty much accomplished what he wanted to do (He's one sly God).

7/10
Mar 30, 2015 4:18 AM

Jun 2012
An ok series, nothing exceptional but not terrible either.

5/10
Mar 30, 2015 4:51 AM
Oct 2007
hoootie said:
Nothing257 said:
Ending was a pile of BS. 5/10 dropped to 2/10 due to the lack of Maria dying and some of the witches to. Nothing maria has does can be considered good in this anime and she does not deserve a happy ending. Also Bernard changing he views at the last moment just means that he did not really believe in God in the first place. Also i do not like how maria thinks she is untouchable by saying that she is the one that forgives God. The to top it all of the angel instead of doing what he was sent to do he said he was going to do the exact same thing he has been doing (nothing) and accepting her.

In all this anime is a WTF anime and deserves the 2/10 that i have given it.

I don't think your opinion matters when you gave gurren lagann a 1 and dropped FMAB with a 1.

Anyhow, solid show, not a big fan of the ending. I liked the way the bashed the church quite often and the nice realistic battles. 8/10

TTGL and FMA:B a 1? If that isn't trolling, I don't know what is. Frankly I found nothing wrong with this show. Great characters, a nice story, HanaKan, great animation. I actually gave it a 10/10.
Mar 30, 2015 6:53 AM
Jun 2014
zeroryoko1974 said:
hoootie said:

I don't think your opinion matters when you gave gurren lagann a 1 and dropped FMAB with a 1.

Anyhow, solid show, not a big fan of the ending. I liked the way the bashed the church quite often and the nice realistic battles. 8/10

TTGL and FMA:B a 1? If that isn't trolling, I don't know what is. Frankly I found nothing wrong with this show. Great characters, a nice story, HanaKan, great animation. I actually gave it a 10/10.

If you don't know what trolling is look it up
Mar 30, 2015 7:58 AM

Mar 2014
Man I'm going to miss this show

But no kiss? And no baby? Other than that I'm pretty much satisfied
Mar 30, 2015 9:07 AM

Mar 2014
A nice happy ending
Mar 30, 2015 9:09 AM

Dec 2013
kronopy said:
L-Ryoshi said:
The last part is pretty easy. First, it was Ann who was narrating the last part. Throughout the show, she made it a point to state that Maria was a virgin, and at the end, when Ann was narrating as an old woman, you've pretty much hinted that Maria lost her virginity to Joseph in order to birth Ezekiel.

It wasnt old Ann, because at the end, the narrator said that Maria lived happy ever after together with her and Ann in the village. So it cant be Ann.

You might want to go back and re-watch that part, I'm positive the subs quoted the narrator claiming herself to be Ann at the end.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Mar 30, 2015 9:16 AM

Jan 2013
L-Ryoshi said:
kronopy said:

You might want to go back and re-watch that part, I'm positive the subs quoted the narrator claiming herself to be Ann at the end.

It's kinda ambiguous (I don't think it was intended tho) but I'll go for Martha since it's the same voice.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Mar 30, 2015 11:10 AM

Sep 2013
DawnJ said:
L-Ryoshi said:

It's kinda ambiguous (I don't think it was intended tho) but I'll go for Martha since it's the same voice.

Its obvious that is Ann. o.O
Mar 30, 2015 11:18 AM

May 2013
the show is a bit underrated, 8/10
Mar 30, 2015 12:12 PM
Nov 2009
Didn´t expect Ezekiel to become Maria and Josephs daughter.

I´m kinda disappointed that they didn´t travel too far. I thought they´d set up in some other country and live happily together.

What I find weird at the end is that Martha has been friends with Maria for a "long time" like how old is Maria? And it seemed that it wasn´t Martha that spoke at the end but it was Ann when she got older. So is Maria an eternal being or something? Kinda like that ghost in the forrest that said Maria will turn out to be like him in the future.

Twas still an enjoyable show. 8/10
Mar 30, 2015 12:22 PM
Sep 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
Firstly, Michael throughout the entire show has presented the human race as nothing but a part of nature. You can see in all the conversations that he has with Maria during the course of the show that he views humans doing what they do to be just another part of natures design. Not once has he shown anything like respect or appreciation for humans. To him, we're pretty much just there, to be ignored and to let roam however we please. Why else would the heavens choose to ignore the pleas of the humans regarding war and pillaging, and allow them to follow the flawed teachings of their representative church at the time? It's because they don't care for what the humans do, so long as they don't do what Maria did and upset the balance of Nature, so to speak.

How does humans to be part of nature imply that angels view themselves as higher? Michael said that humans are part of nature, that's it. He never stated that nature is below angels in any way. Not to mention that they probably consider themselves part of the nature as well, just quite different part of it, since they live in a different world than humans.
Him showing no appreciacion itself is not an argument, tho, as he didn't ever show anything that would contradict that he has any respect of them. From the looks of things, it was more like Michael just doesn't bother thinking if humans are worth respect or not, because that's not his role in all of this.
Why they let the humans do as they please and ignore the pleas? Because that's what Father told them to do, according to this show. I'd like to remind you that the whole Church of Heavens in this show is about following Father's orders and that's it. This has nothing to do with their opinion about humans, the Father's orders are absolute.

L-Ryoshi said:
Secondly, I highly doubt Michael really cared much about the "quality" of the humans when he was asking around about their feelings for Maria. If said "quality" were so important in deciding who to interview, I'm pretty sure a t least half of the negative comments stated against her in that sequence wouldn't have even been brought up, considering who was making those comments (Galfa, the Comte, those mercenaries, etc.).

If you don't let all the witnessess speak, that would be a parody of a judgment, not the real one. You obviously won't value all witnessess words on equal footing, because no sane judge would do that, but you still hear all of them out.

L-Ryoshi said:
Also, who's got the right to say that the damning testimony from Gilbert, a devout Christian who is purely immersed in his beliefs, would be less worthy than that from Martha, and old friend of Marias (and thus obviously biased towards her). That Michael put so much weight on the testament of an equally ancient being, before passing an overall judgement, just goes to show how little those comments from the humans meant in regards to the grand jury decision.

Gilbert, being immersed in his belief that witches are evil by default makes him just as biased as Martha would be, if not more.
Not really. Cernunnos wasn't the only one that made Michael reach that decision. Michael was clearly affected by Martha's words, he even used the same words as Martha while giving a verdict. And I think this answers the question why Martha's view was more important than Gilbert's. All Gilbert said was pretty much "Maria is an evil witch, please kill her!", while Martha's answer was actually profound and quite informative as, among all the humans Michael asked, she spent the most time with Maria.

L-Ryoshi said:
It's obvious that the virgin part was skipped because by the end of Ann's life (and probably near the end of Josephs as well, considering timeline), Maria was no longer a virgin (nor a witch). I don't understand the point of your question.

If she was no longer a witch, then why did narrator state that she was? From what you say, the virgint part was skipped because narrator was talking about Maria after she lost her virginity. Yet the narrator still says she was a witch. Why wasn't the witch part skipped if Maria lost her powers?
Mar 30, 2015 12:29 PM

Apr 2013
Well it was a good show, felt a bit different from your average anime out there. But the ending was a little too cheesy for my liking, and that Ezekiel-thing going on was a bit creepy too...
Mar 30, 2015 12:47 PM

Jul 2009
What killed this anime was the importance they gave to the sex, I mean, when they were trying to save Maria their reason where: Run, so you can lose your virginity...kinda stupid, they could have said: Run, so you can be happy...
Anyway, so Maria will be Ezekiel's mom...

Was ok, but could have been better... 6/10
Mar 30, 2015 3:01 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
MrsKujo said:

Although ultimately she did not lose them even when she did.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I think the writer had a point behind that which ended up not being properly explained.

Maria was acting like a child with her tossing magic around. Michael's condition was basically to say: okay if you want to act like a child, as long as you remain a child (i.e. not have sex) you can retain your powers. When Maria finally decided to act more like an adult, Michael didn't enforce this restriction because he knew that Maria would be more responsible. This is why I think he "gave" them Ezekiel to raise. Now Maria has to think of how her actions will impact her family before acting.

The strange thing about this animation is that I think the writer was trying to say something very different than most of the people who liked it think the writer was trying to say. Of course being Japanese their views on Christianity are different than those of use who were raised in this culture, but in general I think the writer was telling a tale about a child growing up to be an adult. The problem only being that they couldn't actually succeed in telling this tale.

That's a really interesting interpretation. I wouldn't have thought about it had you not commented on this. I can actually see this being the writer's intention, but like you said, the message wasn't properly conveyed to the audience by the end of the series.
Mar 30, 2015 3:49 PM

Nov 2008
Maria was a naive fool, but the show overall was great! Don't mind the "safe" ending, though it should have ended differently. 8/10
Mar 30, 2015 5:12 PM

Jan 2013
MrsKujo said:

I'm not seeing any connection between misogyny and losing one's magical powers due to sex.
Salmon is delicious.
Mar 30, 2015 5:29 PM

Jul 2014
MrsKujo said:

how the fuck is that misogynistic

@Thread 6/10
Pretty enjoyable, but the resolution just left me unsatisfied.
Joseph could have been more fleshed out, he just seemed to be there.

I also wanted them to flesh out a bit more of the fantasy elements, and as such I was disappointed that Cernunnos had little to no impact to the actual plot of the show, other than appearing a few times to make Maria think a bit and talking to Michael.

Also, is it me or did the ending song sound a lot like the ending song from Return of the Jedi (special edition, not yub yub)??
WaifuholicMar 30, 2015 5:32 PM
Mar 30, 2015 6:11 PM

Jun 2007
What a let down.
Basically nothing changed at all. She lost her powers and thus the ability to change anything.

In the end Michael won and that's it.

Meh 6/10 because I am to lazy to change the score.
Mar 30, 2015 8:41 PM

Jul 2009
Ok well Bernard didn't get struck by lighting but he did turn into ash/sand so we got that going for us. That brat should be obliterated too tho (and Galfa)!
Mar 30, 2015 8:57 PM

Jul 2014
Bernard didnt deserve to die WTF. Like WTF, he was just proclaiming people should care for themselves. Thats one thing that pissed me off alot
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Mar 31, 2015 2:10 AM

Jan 2013
Avok said:
Its obvious that is Ann. o.O

It is not. If you listen to the narration, it's not certain if it's "me, (that is) Ann" or "me, (and) Ann". What's obvious is that it's the voice of Martha's.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Mar 31, 2015 7:05 AM

Feb 2012
Interesting anime. I wasn't expecting too much from this, and it ended up being a good one. I mean, compared to the others this season. Agree with the others that it's underrated!

I enjoyed the Ezekiel part. Too bad that Maria's familiars will disappear once she's ready to have her baby Ezekiel.

7/10
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Mar 31, 2015 9:31 AM
Jan 2015
by the way, the cutest character ever is EZEKIEL (even her name is actually a man's name)
Mar 31, 2015 10:01 AM
Mar 2014
Well that was a refreshing Series, i enjoyed it quite alot ;D

The short batle with michael pretty colorfull i enjoyed it.

Was a nice a peacefull episode towards the end.

8/10
Mar 31, 2015 12:05 PM

Oct 2012
Wow crazy good ending, super proud of this series now. Was not ecpecting that to have such a fulfilling finish.
Super refreshing ending!
Solid 8/10 after the last 2 episodes.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Adoption

sandwich-boy - Oct 18, 2023

2 by Animaticide »»
Oct 18, 2023 11:16 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2015

79 by EmperorThor »»
Jul 24, 2023 6:42 AM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

87 by Sarakitteh »»
May 25, 2023 9:18 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

93 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 13, 2022 10:13 PM

Poll: » Junketsu no Maria Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2015

114 by KhoaVN »»
Jun 10, 2022 7:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.