Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 13, 2015 8:19 AM

Jun 2008
About 98%.
Mar 13, 2015 5:25 PM

Apr 2012
xEmptiness said:
Immahnoob said:
...Yeah, selfies are going to influence you to become all of the above...

What are you, retarded?

If we go by statistics, your relative risk for those disorders go up as your selfie taking increases. Whether it's purely correlative, mental illness making you take more selfies, or selfies making you mentally ill is up for debate. The association is definitely there though.
So you're telling me that you can become a narcissist because you took too many selfies?

I COULD (COULD) agree that you are mentally ill for taking too many selfies, but BECOMING mentally ill because you took too many selfies?

Yes, you can go fuck yourself.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
Mar 13, 2015 6:01 PM

Jul 2014
are selfies vain? yes.
do i still have a shit ton of them? yes.
do i feel bad about that? no.
Mar 13, 2015 6:05 PM

Nov 2013
They can be, or they could just be doing it because everyone else is.
I don't take selfies.

I can see you

Mar 13, 2015 6:09 PM

Sep 2013
Everybody can look at me when they walk down the street, why can't they look at me when they scroll down their feed as well?
Mar 13, 2015 6:44 PM

Nov 2009
Studies do indicate that those who take "selfies" are usually exhibiting certain levels of Narcissism. This doesn't mean you are narcissistic for taking selfies, but it is one of many things in today's culture that encourages narcissism.
Mar 13, 2015 6:46 PM

Sep 2013
You ever notice how attractive people catch more flack for taking selfies than unattractive people?
Mar 13, 2015 6:51 PM

Apr 2014
I've never taken a selfie or have ever been in one...to my knowledge

I think people who take too many selfies just want people to look at them

If you take selfies in front of cool place like...the Grand Canyon or...from a helicopter or... some castle in Germany then that's okay :3

looket all them demons
oh boy am i scared
i better run

Mar 13, 2015 11:08 PM

Jul 2014
yes
Take care of yourself

Mar 14, 2015 3:35 PM

Aug 2014
Of course it is. Vanity is a sin. Though arguably everyone carries sins.
Mar 14, 2015 3:36 PM
Jan 2015
Yes. I don't like people who take too many selfies.
Mar 14, 2015 8:19 PM

Oct 2014
Yes. Also it really pisses me off that there is a song called "selfie".
Mar 14, 2015 8:20 PM

Sep 2012
Yeah somebody got more likes on their photo than I did on mine, so they're a bad person
Mar 14, 2015 8:26 PM

Oct 2012
it's not so bad

today i went somewhere and everyone was dressed up in traditional clothes
they took pictures of themselves with their friends like crazy
everyone was in several
hundreds must have been taken overall
the event organizers (the event was mostly song and dance) encouraged it with props they could use for photos
yeah, it was a little vain
but what is wrong with it?
nothing

perhaps some people go overboard with it all, but capturing a few beautiful moments with friends, or even just preserving your own beauty from one particular moment in time, is not a bad thing
it won't last forever

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Mar 14, 2015 8:31 PM

Jul 2012
Involtus said:
it's not so bad

today i went somewhere and everyone was dressed up in traditional clothes
they took pictures of themselves with their friends like crazy
everyone was in several
hundreds must have been taken overall
the event organizers (the event was mostly song and dance) encouraged it with props they could use for photos
yeah, it was a little vain
but what is wrong with it?
nothing

perhaps some people go overboard with it all, but capturing a few beautiful moments with friends, or even just preserving your own beauty from one particular moment in time, is not a bad thing
it won't last forever

I don't really like taking photos to save particular moments, I think stories and poetry are more interesting than photographs, I've never understood tourists and folks that take pictures of literally everything when they go on a trip. Especially because almost all of their photos are rarely reviewed or truly shared with others.

People say a picture says a thousand words, but all of these words aren't necessarily relevant to the human experience involved, and most photographs I see aren't taken artistically to attempt to display these poetic and influential moments.

I like writing and reading stories. This is a rant.
xEmptiness said:
"if we follow what SW is suggesting, nihilism is the conclusion"
Mar 14, 2015 8:46 PM
Sep 2014
I've never taken a selfie.
Mar 14, 2015 9:00 PM

Oct 2012
Space-Wizard said:

I don't really like taking photos to save particular moments, I think stories and poetry are more interesting than photographs, I've never understood tourists and folks that take pictures of literally everything when they go on a trip. Especially because almost all of their photos are rarely reviewed or truly shared with others.

People say a picture says a thousand words, but all of these words aren't necessarily relevant to the human experience involved, and most photographs I see aren't taken artistically to attempt to display these poetic and influential moments.

I like writing and reading stories. This is a rant.

I like writing too. I'm English language poet in residence for my university.
But... a long time ago Oscar Wilde gave me this:
“No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist.”
Of course, I wanted to disagree with him, because a lot of his statements are pretty 'wild(e)' and far-fetched. I wanted to be a realist. However: I think that the wild(e) nature of his work is part of the reason many consider him to be a genius. And his words must be partly true, a writer will always twist what's in front of them and there isn't anything wrong with them doing that. It's unavoidable that we're going to write about things only as we seem them, or only as we see others seeing them. It's also unavoidable that we will never catch the real appearance of something, only the (perceived) essence of something.
The things which stand out about someone's appearance to you, based on your own instinct and fetishism, will never be the same as the things which stand out to another, and that's what makes writing interesting, really. People actually don't want you to document every single thing, and you aren't able to, either.
The 'essence'... that's the important thing. A (good) poem is more interesting than a photograph, yes. But a picture has a purpose of its own, it's a more realistic piece of history. Beyond that it's very useful for capturing things which are incredibly transient or fast firing, like an array of traditional costumes, or, well, many of the beautiful moments in life. Someone might prefer seeing quickly a selection of photos of this kind of thing over a long poem struggling to fit in all of the different outfits, and a photo is still good reference for a future piece of art or a brief reminder of the past.
We just reserve poetry for what's truly thought provoking, for the most part.
That being said, I don't take many pictures myself. If the picture will be unique, or I plan on sending it to a friend far away, then I'll do it, yeah. Photos of certain sites have been taken a thousand times before, though, and so I see not so much reason to take any more. It's a little bit scary to imagine someone spending more time taking a photograph of something like a famous monument than actually looking at it, because they have their entire lives to look at photographs yet not long to be so physically close and able to see the tiny details from all perspectives.
I still maintain that one or two snaps, even with you in them just to prove you were there, do no harm. The only real mistake is having the goal: 'I'm going to go to xyz to take a picture', and not: 'I'm going to go to see xyz'. Even if you took a picture in the latter case, it's not much time lost, and there's always the chance you could use it in art (which you can often do even if the picture itself isn't very artistic)/ a postcard/ a photo album/ a slideshow for your grandkids.

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Mar 14, 2015 9:21 PM

Jul 2013
chuuzenjis said:
are selfies vain? yes.

actually true
Drugs said:
You ever notice how attractive people catch more flack for taking selfies than unattractive people?
itz bc jealousy
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)dont hate me cause you aint me( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 14, 2015 11:47 PM

Feb 2015
You are taking pictures of yourself. This implies yo think your appearance is worth preserving and distributing. Yes that is vain. I do it, but I feel stupid every time I do.

Mar 14, 2015 11:53 PM

Feb 2015
People are scared of death and want to leave something behind; an imprint of their existence to remain available online for all of their descendants to see. But they suspect, deep down, that they don't have anything worthwhile to say, and that thought niggles at them.

So they show themselves enjoying their life. It's a token of appreciation of the opportunities to experience unique things that they've been granted.

Or it's reckless vanity performed by shallow freaks seeking always to boost their friend numbers by ever more efficiently marketing themselves as the friendship equivalent of a prostitute.

You could perceive it either way, but for the sake of our collective sanity I recommend the former.
Now you're wondering if there's white text in any of my other posts.

Over there, I'm everywhere. I know that.
Mar 14, 2015 11:53 PM

Jun 2014
hotstud6969 said:
chuuzenjis said:
are selfies vain? yes.

actually true
Drugs said:
itz bc jealousy

Lol...that's because nobody sees the unattractive people :)
A great protagonist once said, "It's only overpowered if you can't return the favor!"

Mar 14, 2015 11:59 PM

Feb 2015
icirate said:
People are scared of death and want to leave something behind; an imprint of their existence to remain available online for all of their descendants to see. But they suspect, deep down, that they don't have anything worthwhile to say, and that thought niggles at them.

So they show themselves enjoying their life. It's a token of appreciation of the opportunities to experience unique things that they've been granted.

Or it's reckless vanity performed by shallow freaks seeking always to boost their friend numbers by ever more efficiently marketing themselves as the friendship equivalent of a prostitute.

You could perceive it either way, but for the sake of our collective sanity I recommend the former.

No, I think it's both.

Mar 15, 2015 12:04 AM

Oct 2008
I cant wait for a few years to pass in for people to realize just how stupid they look by doing this crap...
Mar 15, 2015 12:19 AM

Nov 2008
Yes.
bayanime14 said:
I've never taken a selfie.
I took a few for OKCupid, but removed them soon after. I hate trying to get women. It's embarrassing and demeaning. One of the reasons I'll probably be alone forever.

Mar 15, 2015 12:20 AM

Jun 2014
If you feel like you look good, then why not?
Mar 15, 2015 1:52 AM

Jan 2015
selfies are vain
they do it to gather likes

end of discussion
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Feb 13, 2019 3:22 AM
Dec 2018
ofcourse.. its like narcissus being narcistic
Feb 13, 2019 3:59 AM

Feb 2019
Of course they are but I still love em. Fake me best me baby
Feb 13, 2019 4:04 AM
Oct 2018
Selfies are playing the same role that mirrors played once.

They make you delusional.
Feb 13, 2019 4:11 AM

Sep 2018
It should be a legal requirement to punch any man taking selfies or slap any woman making a duck face during a selfie. It's double punishment if a selfie stick is involved.
Feb 13, 2019 4:32 AM
May 2016
eh, i don't really like it, but there's a lot of worse things that you can do, so it's never bothered me at all really. i'll say no
Feb 13, 2019 5:16 AM
Feb 2017
Status_Effect said:
Duh.

Aww shit, I just realized I voted "no."

You traitor jkirdc at all 30characterlimit
Feb 13, 2019 3:14 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I can't fathom why anybody would ever want to view other peoples' selfies online unless they're funny or you're in them (like they preserve a memory).
Feb 13, 2019 4:05 PM

Oct 2013
It's always seemed kinda weird to me. Never understood the appeal.
Feb 13, 2019 4:16 PM

Aug 2018
Coming from someone who used to post selfies (when I used Facebook), it does come from a place of vanity. Let's be honest with each other here.

There are reasons why people would want to post a selfie, but most of the time, being vain with oneself is usually the reason. Is being confident with how you look a bad thing? No, and it shouldn't be demonized at the slightest!

However, no amount of beauty can protect someone's character. Sometimes, people will use themselves as bait to gain unwarranted sympathy ("I'm ugly," [insert deep quote above picture], etc.).

Or, it could be for the sake of reassurance in the midst of their own insecurities. Usually, with the mentality that if people like enough of their photos, it reaffirms their need for validation on the surface. Which, is not healthy and definitely does point towards outward issues with self-esteem.

For me, it made me feel nice - especially when I got likes on my photo or people telling me that I looked "cute" or "beautiful." but it came from both a place of vanity and insecurity when I did post photos of myself. No, I didn't do anything inappropriate, but I'd be lying if it didn't take me almost 20 minutes to get the best shot, because I was afraid of being seen as anything but. Usually, those were shot on my better days.

Thank the Gods, I got rid of Facebook. I don't blame Facebook, but comparing yourself to other people can be damaging, and again, unhealthy.

If you feel insecure, please don't go looking for validation from other people - because in the end, if you place your confidence in the hands of other people who look at you on the surface, you are placing your dignity in their hands. You are worth more than a thousand pictures, and while a picture can say a thousand words, a thousand words can't save you from yourself. What I mean by that is, don't focus so much on how you look to others, and think about improving yourself in little ways. In time, you will begin to love yourself and become more confident in who you are when you kill the parts about yourself that stunt you on your growth as an individual. What's on the inside matters.

Do I believe there is a limit to be had? Yes. There is a huge difference between being confident in your own body (or yourself in general), and then there's just being straight up full of it.
sincerelyacatFeb 13, 2019 4:26 PM
╔════════════════ • • ════════════════╗
Sometimes it feels like I've got a war in my mind
I want to get off, but I keep riding the ride
I never really noticed that I had to decide
To play someone's game, or live my own life
- Get Free, Lana Del Rey

╚════════════════ • • ════════════════╝
Feb 14, 2019 1:54 AM

Sep 2018
Good post PC, what's even worse is when a good looking girl posts a selfie with a comment saying that she's so ugly. Obviously fishing for compliments because that seems to determine her self worth. FB is seriously unhealthy to a persons mental well being.

People don't even enjoy things any more, they take photos or videos and post it to FB to get some kind of validation.
Feb 15, 2019 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
I don't have so many of them. Most of them look the same anyway, so I don't see the reason to.
It's also not wrong to be a little bit vain sometimes, but these people, who post dozens of selfies a week get on my nerves. "X has new pictures" "10 selfies" All of them look the same, why...?
removed-userFeb 15, 2019 7:18 PM
Feb 15, 2019 5:56 PM

Feb 2016
Yes. Especially if you apply some cutesy filter, do some overly-sexy pose/duck face, or litter it with emojis. One of the many reasons I steer clear of social media...
--- + ---
"Random quotes in signatures are like friends. Everyone seems to have them, except me."
Sun Tzu, probably

Feb 15, 2019 6:21 PM
Dec 2010
Those who take selfies excessively tends to be vain. Usually pretty girls are the ones who do selfies excessively. I haven't seen many handsome guys taking selfies this much. Sometimes, I hear these women complain how ugly they look, as if they are trying to achieve perfection in how they want to look.

I sometime take these selfies with these girls because they wanted to take one together. I admit it can be fun, taking some selfies, and editing them with weird expressions. But ultimately, some of these girls are very obsessed with taking selfies everywhere they go. Definitely, the vanity is getting to them. Even retorting the fact they do it too much doesn't seem to help their obsessions.
Someone believe I hv Fantasy Prone Personality, in short, FPP.
So I decided to live up to it, Yay!
Feb 15, 2019 6:24 PM

Oct 2010
-PotatoChip- said:
Coming from someone who used to post selfies (when I used Facebook), it does come from a place of vanity. Let's be honest with each other here.

ignoring that this thread is from 2015

give selfies

not ignoring this thread from 2015

selfies are vain if you're a male cus nobody gives a shit about males unless you're rich or lucky but if you're a female they're not vain cus u get fanboys and easy beta orbiters and easy bf and easy life and easy companionship and easy everything
lots of music -
Feb 15, 2019 7:10 PM

Mar 2008
It's more vain to ask someone else to take a picture of you than doing it yourself.
Feb 15, 2019 8:40 PM

Jun 2015
i like looking at cute boys and im a cute boy, vain or not theres nothing wrong with them unless theyre like putting people in danger
Feb 16, 2019 6:32 AM
Nov 2018
Yeah..selfies are vain
people making fake smiles and it's very lame
but who's to blame
we live today only bcuz of that day our parents having no shame ~

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Feb 16, 2019 8:21 AM

May 2011
I think they're vain. I must have a purpose for taking pictures of myself, whether it's a picture FOR someone or for myself to take note of whatever makeup I had on that day.
Feb 16, 2019 8:33 AM

Sep 2018
Maybe, but nothin wrong with liking the way you look. I don’t take em very often cause I don’t like the way I look.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

29 by cody »»
17 seconds ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

31 by cody »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 5 hours ago

10 by cody »»
10 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

68 by Dracowyn »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

36 by cody »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.