Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 12, 2015 7:13 PM
Jul 2018
@yosish:

What you do is only repeating the same things over and over. You could write them in one post instead of eight.
Chihaya is also a human-being and she has freedom to love whoever she wants.
Her reaction was understandable since she felt she suddenly lost her best friend.

Just because you're a fan of Taichi doesn't mean every audience has to like him.
Everyone here is FREE to dislike Taichi and criticize him. RESPECT others' opinions!
Apr 20, 2015 12:46 AM
Apr 2015
akdgn said:
@yosish:

What you do is only repeating the same things over and over. You could write them in one post instead of eight.
Chihaya is also a human-being and she has freedom to love whoever she wants.
Her reaction was understandable since she felt she suddenly lost her best friend.

Just because you're a fan of Taichi doesn't mean every audience has to like him.
Everyone here is FREE to dislike Taichi and criticize him. RESPECT others' opinions!

I didn't see how @yosish repeating the same points was an issue. They were to emphasize the points made at the time. And @yoshish definitely didn't disrespect other people's opinions either, @akdgn.

While I'm at it, I'm also entitled to argue that while Chihaya's desperation for losing her best friend is understandable, she is selfish. She needs this crisis to grow up and start being more concerned about the feelings of others. I think this is the direction the manga is going - Chihaya's character development extending beyond Karuta (finally!).

All @yoshish did, I believe, was point out the subtext of the plot relating to Taichi and his circumstances. Considering the number of people who wrote Taichi off as a jerk, naturally, a fan of the series who understands the story inside out will try to explain what is really going on.

Of course, every reader will interpret the story differently. But you have to admit, @yoshish brought up some points that make you look at this chapter in a fresh angle. They weren't there just for the sake of being a Taichi fan.

I love Chihayafuru, and I feel strong connections with its characters. I really appreciate the in-depth analysis from @yoshish, and the time it took to write it all down, even if I don't agree with everything that was said.
Apr 23, 2015 4:59 AM

Jun 2010
Criticism is something. Talking bullshit is something else.

It IS okay to hate Taichi and bash them, calling rapist or jerk. It IS okay to being delusional as f**k and basically be sweetangie

It ain't okay to defend or like Taichi, because they need to respect other people
Nope.
perfume&arashi
Apr 23, 2015 4:43 PM

Feb 2011
@ maririn
First of all, I'm not here to be insulted, I wanted to share my personal opinion what's happening to the story: but I'm not here to lash on anyone just because they think different. It's okay for fans to like Taichi and I respect that: like I said, what I and everyone post here it's just a matter of opinion, not a fact.
sweetangieApr 23, 2015 5:25 PM
Apr 23, 2015 8:46 PM

Apr 2011
maririn said:
Criticism is something. Talking bullshit is something else.

It IS okay to hate Taichi and bash them, calling rapist or jerk. It IS okay to being delusional as f**k and basically be sweetangie

It ain't okay to defend or like Taichi, because they need to respect other people
Nope.

Why that's a lovely straw man you've got there. Maybe you can point to exactly where anyone has said "it ain't okay to defend or like Taichi" so I can figure out what the hell you're talking about.
May 8, 2015 11:54 AM

Oct 2012
You guys all have to admit that this was one of the most heartbreaking confessions in shoujo/josei history (and i've read alot of them) but this one beats em all, so everyone can go bashing and critisizing but they can't help but keep ranting and talking about it. I don't rember that Arata's confession stirred up things this way, and certainly there weren't pages and pages of texts going on about it......

Suetsugu san did her work exceptionally well! It was beautifully drawn and her text went straight to the deepest of our kokoro's
May 15, 2015 7:56 PM

Aug 2013
This chapter does make a truth. because, first taichi confess his feelings to Chihaya, and left the club because he could no longer see Karuta. The incident must have occurred because, from the begining the intention of taichi play Karuta is not correct. he played only because Chihaya. but the feeling played of happiness will Karuta is not exist.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2015 1:24 AM

Apr 2013
Did Chihaya say "sorry" to Taichi? T_T
Her reaction was totally different from with Arata. She didn't even blush this time :|

. . . . . . . .soOooo sad :(

Taichi as a character is probably the best developed, and has a lot more to grow.
Jun 4, 2015 7:07 AM
Mar 2012
Jakerams said:
Taichi is easily my favorite character. Although I like Arata he isn't shown much and rarely gets character development while lately Taichi has been developing lots.
I agree.

Everyone seems to expect him to be perfect - most of all Chihaya - but no-one can stay strong and unmoved forever.
Jul 10, 2015 9:49 AM
Jun 2015
Aftar defeated by Arata and realized that he isnt like Arata or chihaya that gives all of them for karuta, and that hell never be like them.. And after he confessed his love for chihaya, then she indirectly rejected him.. (but i think it's not a rejection at all, i mean 'sorry' can be many things ,,, like 'sorry,.. all this time,, you acted alone, you didnt smile.. all beacuse of me.. im sorry." "or it can be "sorry, i love arata," so i dont know if it is a rejection/ not , and who chihaya truly loved, bcz she hasnt given clear answer to both of them), .. after all of the things he had think, college, test, 3rd year, chihaya, arata, karuta, he quits karuta and ask the group to take care of the club, i do understand him.... it's really heart breaking, i miss him a lot </3 .. i still hope it would be chihaya x taichi in the end,, :(( because if chihaya QUIT karuta after taichi leaves, it means that, she cant live without him, and HER FEELINGS FOR TAICHI IS EVEN LARGER THAN HER LOVE FOR KARUTA AND ARATA... i think her love for arata is more like a passion and obsession like karuta, like she wants to play with arata again, she wants to be equal to arata, she misses arata and want to be a team with him again, and etc.

BUT SHE FEELS JEALOUS, SHE FEELS MAD, SHE HURTS, SHE CRIES, SHE WANTS TAICHI TO SMILE SO BADLY, SHE FEELS NERVOUS, SHE EVEN QUITS KARUTA AFTER TAICHI LEAVES BCZ SHE'S SO DAMN HURT, IT MEANS THAT HER LOVE FOR TAICHI IS DEEPER ,,, THAN HER LOVE FOR KARUTA AND ARATA. IT'S A DIFFERENT THING... #teamtaichi :""

ps: if she ended with arata, i will be okay though.. but taichi MUST have his own happy ending.. :(
Sep 10, 2015 12:58 PM

Jul 2012
The most amazing thing about this discussion is how many delusional people there are. To begin with, where do you even draw these facts? These conclusions are ridiculous. Taichi is rich so he doesn't deserve to be happy. Gee how greedy he is with all that money he even dares to like a girl and play karuta. Ugh he should totally go play golf and do bitchez and let poor kid Arata take those since he wasn't born into a rich family. If anything Taichi's position hardly did any good in that light. That isn't even an issue this manga deals with wtf. Another thing is how Taichi intentionally left the club to hurt Chihaya. Lol! Isn't Chihaya the bad guy being all selfish and wanting him to stay although she was a shitty person who couldn't reject him properly like she'd rather he never confessed so they could go on with her karuta obsession companions act.
I don't care who ends up with whom since I like all the characters but Taichi has the best character development. Fact.
Sep 16, 2015 3:36 PM

Jan 2008
Man that was sad. Chihaya's reaction to Taichi's confession was like night and day compared to her reaction to Arata's. Not only that, he took a cheap shot and stole a kiss, on top of the black cards falling, all add to the overall sadness and despair in the mood.

Even though I'm throwing myself into the lion's den by admitting that I'm an Arata fan (because the majority of people seem to be Taichi fans); I can't say I feel totally happy about it all, since Chihaya is also taking Taichi quitting pretty hard. At the end of the day, no matter who she ends up with, I think Chihaya's happiness is what matters the most to me...Which is why it breaks my heart to see her so distressed.

The more character development Taichi gets, the more I can't but compare him to Irie Naoki from Itazura no Kiss:
In other words, he's slowly becoming the generic shoujo-manga male protagonist. More proof to that is Makoto Sunakawa from Ore Monogatari and him being carbon copies of one another.
Estoy_GordoSep 17, 2015 3:35 PM
Oct 21, 2015 4:34 PM

Mar 2014
Thank you, audience, for finally having more than a page of comments in a crucial chapter.
Active reading/thinking ftw! Although, you can't really get away with otherwise with this manga...

*sigh*
I'd rather not type a paragraph because I've been binging this and been writing my comments each chapter rather than pour it all out over here.
All I've gotta say is, I feel so bad for Chihaya. It's not her fault she is this way or anything that happens around her happens. She's idealistic. Why should that be a bad thing? She truly cares about people and wants her close bubble to stay together. But she... needs to realize otherwise, if she wants to keep this mindset. And she probably will.
Taichi is... Taichi. I love him to death and wish him nothing less than utter happiness. I've been rooting for him since the timeskip way in the beginning.
Mar 19, 2016 12:42 AM

Jan 2016
Savethebestforu said:
I wasn't even sure if he kissed her since their lips didn't even touch. Maybe it was just a weird way of drawing it. I don't even know who Taichi should end up with. Chihaya is so dense that I don't think she could truly love anybody at this point. It's like her brain hasn't fully developed. I didn't like Sumire before, but her empathy and and compassion towards Taichi in his lowest of lows has really grown on me.

Anyways, I love that Taichi is making peace with everything that is holding him back. He's undoubtedly the best character in the manga. You could actually easily argue that the story of Chihayafuru is about Taichi's struggles in growing as a person and with karuta. His development in the story trumps both Chihaya and Arata's combined.

really well said and written... thanks for sharing what i feel..
Mar 26, 2016 11:44 AM

Jun 2007
smegmarta said:
The most amazing thing about this discussion is how many delusional people there are. To begin with, where do you even draw these facts? These conclusions are ridiculous. Taichi is rich so he doesn't deserve to be happy. Gee how greedy he is with all that money he even dares to like a girl and play karuta. Ugh he should totally go play golf and do bitchez and let poor kid Arata take those since he wasn't born into a rich family. If anything Taichi's position hardly did any good in that light. That isn't even an issue this manga deals with wtf. Another thing is how Taichi intentionally left the club to hurt Chihaya. Lol! Isn't Chihaya the bad guy being all selfish and wanting him to stay although she was a shitty person who couldn't reject him properly like she'd rather he never confessed so they could go on with her karuta obsession companions act.
I don't care who ends up with whom since I like all the characters but Taichi has the best character development. Fact.

+

thanks @yosish
also thanks everyone who contributed sane coherent thoughts
see you, space cowperson . . .
May 13, 2016 9:13 PM

Jan 2016
Ahhhh.... this was a heat breaking chapter.

I'm excited to see how this development will further develop Chihaya, Taichi and Arata.
May 30, 2016 2:18 PM
Oct 2012
Let me just first start things off with I am a Chihaya x Arata shipper, and a lot of criticisms I see from the people who ship said pairing in regards to Taichi is very unfair.

Taichi is a human being. Of course he would need space from Chihaya. The love of his life life just rejected him, and he's supposed to pretend like it isn't tearing him up inside? So he can make Chihaya happy? It wouldn't be good for his mental health if he were to ignore his feelings for Chihaya's sake. It wouldn't be good for the team if he were to stay because he can no longer play karuta. He wouldn't be able to be the support pillar that he usually played the role of. People are calling Taichi selfish but that isn't correct. He's trying to do what's best for him. And seriously? Taichi is the last person anyone should be calling selfish. I think it's been pretty evident in past chapters Taichi himself doesn't like karuta as much as all the other people who play. He plays for Chihaya's and the team's sake even though he himself doesn't like it. lol so why are u calling him selfish idgi

Granted, the kiss that Taichi forced on Chihaya was unacceptable. I understand? I guess? but like forcing a kiss is really shitty and it's a trope that should end bc it isn't romantic at all it's uncomfortable for the person receiving

Personally, I loved Taichi's confession and it was easily one of the best scenes in the manga. Hands down. Taichi's confession is important because it's forcing Chihaya to grow up. It's one thing if Arata confessed to her, but it means an entirely different thing because Taichi confessed to her. This is Taichi, someone she knew from childhood, someone whom she grew up with (granted they were distant in middle school years, but). His confession will allow her to reevaluate both what Taichi and Arata mean to her, and then properly choose a partner, if not any. Chihaya's childish, and her childishness is what has been hurting him. Hopefully this causes much needed development for her, because though Arata and Chihaya have received development, Taichi's development was far more in depth and literally overtakes everyone's development, like holy shit. i thought this was chihaya's story l o l

Also? People are saying Taichi's awful because he's rich? Why are you attacking him for circumstances he literally cannot fucking help? Why is he being vilified because he has money? That may have influenced who he was when he was younger, but he's so much more than being a rich kid. So because he's rich he can't have the girl he loves? like what r u sayin

tl;dr taichi ain't selfish he's a human being w human feelings who is going to help chihaya develop more as a character god bless and

also why people hate taichi and arata so much they're so good wow i love them both

wow i just caught up to this manga @4 am i love it so much god bless
Jun 28, 2016 5:01 AM

Jul 2013
that was one depressing ass first kiss

i feel so bad for both taichi and chihaya...

honestly, you cant help who you feel attracted to I understand that

but farrrr out, taichi really is going downhill after that confession. it's hard to accept rejection, it's only normal that he's lashing out on her like that but it makes it difficult to cheer him on when it looks like he's just looks moody and selfish asf.

arata's confession was beautiful, it was sweet and adorable. someone above mentioned that chihaya interpreted his confession as "let's spend our lives together" which makes it even more beautiful...you cant help but love those two together.
Apr 30, 2017 8:17 AM

Oct 2012
It can't ended like this
Why? Why you must hurt me this way? (T_T)
"Signature removed"
May 1, 2017 2:46 PM
Mar 2015
Taichi's chances for winning Chihaya's heart actually improve even though he is rejected. Before the confession, Taichi had zero chance of winning Chihaya's heart because she does not know that he loved her and has never even considered the idea of loving Taichi
May 8, 2017 10:02 AM
Oct 2008
After reading this chapter and thinking for a bit, my biggest question is why Chihaya said 'sorry' to Taichi's confession.

In chapter 173, Chihaya was able to reply Arata's confession properly because she had grown from her experience from chapter 138 to chapter 173. She has a better understanding of the meaning of 'love' or 'koi 恋' from watching Kana-chan and Tsukue-kun, and of course, her experience with Taichi. She realised that she was not observing her surroundings enough, and had grown to be better in that aspect, so she was able to realise that Arata was probably anxious waiting for a reply from her. Her reply to Arata then, feels like she was declaring that she loves karuta the most in the world - as expected from our karuta-obsessed heroine (=v=b), and also that she still have not experienced the feeling of 'love'.

And with that, I have to come back to my first sentence on Why did Chihaya say 'sorry' to Taichi's confession?

Prior to that, in chapter 93, Chihaya acknowledged that she still did not understand 'love', but she does hold a certain admiration for that kind of feeling.
http://mangafox.me/manga/chihayafuru/v17/c093/22.html

Chihaya also seemed to be quite clumsy and a novice when it comes to relationships. I recall there was a chapter where she gave her number to a stranger who confessed to her, and was both flustered and excited at the same time.

So why did Chihaya, who has not yet understood the meaning of 'love', and is clumsy but gets excited about love stories, reject Taichi? Taichi is her childhood friend, her club president, and the person who has been supporting her all this while. So why did she say 'sorry' to him, when she was silly enough to consider a stranger's confession?

Did she suddenly realise that, "Ah, as compared to Taichi, I'll actually rather be romantically involved with Arata. So sorry but I can't reply your feelings." ?

Or even a simple, "Sorry, but although you are a good friend, I actually don't like you romantically." ?

But it doesn't seem to be so because even by chapter 173, her reply shows that her head is still filled with love for karuta. And with Chihaya's straightforwardness, she is probably the type of person who will be like Arata when she realises her love, and confess right away without thinking.

Chihaya has shed tears of both happiness and sorrow for Taichi, and she places Taichi in a very important place in her heart. So even if she does not think of Taichi romantically, why didn't she consider his confession like with the stranger? Even if she was shocked and needed time to absorb, why didn't she consult with Kana-chan like what happened with the stranger? Why did she keep quiet about it and become unable to face Taichi?

I definitely do not think that she should have accepted his confession, because it would be terrible for Chihaya to be in a relationship when she still does not know what is 'love', but I do think that it might have made slightly more reason for her to be flustered, become unable to think or speak coherently and take time to think about it. Especially so when the word 'love' was still a foreign object to her.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling my question is probably going to be unanswered forever, so I strongly welcome discussion on everyone's thoughts on this!

StarrieNiteMay 8, 2017 5:35 PM
Jun 20, 2017 2:33 PM

Dec 2013
as much as I love this triangle, some people stated ridiculous opinions kinda bothering me.

So Taichi should bottle up his feeling through years until the love of his love and his rival (tho friend) married or at least dating? Watching it develops, while trapped in that tiny club? Suffering in the process as if he wasnt suffered enough? But yeah he's rich so good for him like wtf? Saying those things, I bet you guys will do just about that if that ever happened to you. Good for you for having such an iron heart but a lot of people don't. Certainly not me, since a certain failure of love irl took too much toll it's not even funny after all these years. Call me weak, call Taichi weak but we're just a human being with weaknesses.
A lot of people here, are either too closed minded or refused to see things beyond their comfort shipping zone... oh wait basically the same thing.
As for me, I dont give a damn about who's Chihaya ended up with, so long the story deliver it amazingly.

One thing for sure, as a lot of people already said, Taichi is the most developed character from Chihayafuru by massive lead. Not saying he should win Chihaya over this fact, but just asking people to see him through different angles.
WilhelminaJun 20, 2017 2:42 PM
Jul 17, 2017 1:04 PM
Jul 2017
Hey guys by judging and learning this chhayafuru series my emotions got deeply attached towards it so i putted my whole attention on it !!! And now in 2017 i am on the point that taichi was the real master from the 100 poems and chihaya was a queen if u have heard the poem they were saying it was more like taichi and chihayas story
Nov 17, 2017 2:22 PM

Nov 2016
Fuck, even more tears were coming, this was so devasting :'(

If I wouldn't have rated this with a 10 already, I eventually would have done it after this chapter.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 6, 2018 1:15 AM
Jul 2016
sweetangie said:
^ Like people say, "the truth hurts" and the evidence of the story speaks for itself.

As for Taichi as a character I admit I don't pity him because his actions what speaks out rather if he deserves sympathy or not: the moment he was acting all desperate is something I don't support because he wasn't thinking about Chihaya when he went and did that: if he truly loves her, he should of thought about Chihaya's happiness before his own and all he did was acting all selfish and forceful to make Chihaya love him back ( things don't work out that way): I mean if someone belongs to you, no one nor anything can't take that away: the feelings of love always comes out naturally without any force measures ( everything that's force is all fake and dishonest). Taichi is already aware what's in Chihaya's heart ( he can't fool himself who's the person Chihaya loves: Arata) and despite that he doesn't care for her or her feelings at all: instead of being forceful and wants her to let go of her own feelings: he could of encourage Chihaya to open up her heart and tell her feelings towards the person she loves (just like what Sumire encouraged him to tell his feelings to her: but she didn't mention to make Chihaya love him back by force: his own actions is dragging himself down and because of that, he doesn't deserve any room for sympathy): he's no longer a child to be taught what's right and wrong. For now on, I'll keep my opinions about Taichi's rude behavior to myself.

^

Harsh but this is also my position regarding Taichi's character. It sounded objective to me (just that truth-thing-hurt isn't necessary) unfortunately this sort of POV (my POV especially) has the tendency to be shoved into the minority almost all of the time it's scary LOL
Mar 18, 2018 7:28 PM
Mar 2018
I was hibernating in January and started watching the anime on Crunchy Roll and I just fell in love with this series. I binged the two seasons and then found out there was a manga and binged that too. Currently caught up to the lastest to manga chapter of 196.
I love love Tachi's character development and I've re-read his confession multiple times and his arc and it’s still so emotionally raw and beautiful to me. Love is so complex and witnessing the person you love "love" (cuz we still don't know how she feels about Arata) someone else is the most heartbreaking feeling ever and I would never wish it on anyone. I guess I relate to Tachi in that sense because I experienced that myself. Any sane person worth his salt will break at some point if they were in his shoes. It takes courage to confess your love to someone you believe doesn't love you back but he reached his breaking point where he wanted to end his suffering by letting the person he loves become aware of his feelings so that he can say he tried and then move forward. I think it was a testament to Tachi's strength and will to stand by Chihaya for this long and I totally understand why he had to take a break from Chihaya to regain his sanity back.
I was so happy when I saw the way Chihaya reacted to Tachi leaving the club because we never get much insight to her feelings and we've never really witness her experience an emotional outburst of sorts. I know there's controversy about the "forced" kiss and that many considered it sexual assault at the time when when it happened but in this context and the characters involved, I just didn't see it that way. It showed Tachi’s passion and love for Chihaya and that he couldn’t contain it any longer…thus his “do you think I’m made of stone?”. I think with how dense Chihaya is, if Tachi hadn’t given her that kiss, she would have continued to persuade him to stay and he knew he couldn’t, not in his current state. He needed her to understand why he had to leave and he wanted her to let him go.
I really do hope these two end up together because, in my opinion, they belong together. But if that doesn’t happen, I hope the author writes Tachi’s story and acceptance of what happens in the right way and that he ends up happy in the end regardless.
I love love love this chapter and I hope and think it’ll get animated in season 3 because I cannot wait to see it with the voice actor, the visual and the music…..***heart pounding*** :)
Anyways, I love reading all your comments and everyone's various opinions because its so enlightening. Keep it coming.
Sep 20, 2018 4:55 PM
Sep 2018
The most Heartbreaking love confession chapter of My Life. Arata is nowhere near Taichi when it comes to inner feelings for Chihaya due to which the whole club got heavily affected. Especially Chihaya!

She faced no problem with Arata though, but Taichi has affected her life heavily.

The feelings and weaknesses about Taichi and Chihaya finally shows up.

I want these two to end together. Please !!!!!!!
Sep 23, 2018 11:05 PM
Sep 2018
I have read this chapter for more than 20 times. The most depressing chapter of My life. Chihaya doesn't even understand the reality. She is still a child living in a fantasy world. I mean let's face it, those who have worked really hard along with you, deserves an equal amount of love and respect isn't it? Love doesn't come from the thin air, it comes after knowing all their strong and weak sides. Chihaya doesn't even know this policy.

For Her, Arata's confession is still normal as He was the one who introduced chihaya to the world of Karuta. She seems like He is the real God with No weakness. I mean come on, she doesn't even know everything about him nor he does about her.

But She knows Taichi from the childhood, they know each other strong and weak points pretty well. Still they can't go on loving because nowadays people think loving best friends is some kind of loving each other like siblings.

People have so much time to point out other mistakes but not their own. Likewise, Chihaya has time to think about arata but no time to think about her surroundings (like Taichi and his teammates) and even herself. Which is why no one wants to approach near her. If karuta club has ever grown this far, it was all because of Taichi and she didn't even appreciate that.

Taichi's rejection has changed her world of fantasy in a different way. She is slowly realizing her faults and she'd be willing to rectify it.

I Hope she'll realize before it's too late, or she will be under the category of Most dumb female characters.

Thank you for your reading time.
Sep 25, 2019 11:05 AM

Feb 2019
Taichi is a one hell of a jerk. This chapter just shows how much he disrespects karuta. Arata is way better than taichi and he is exactly the type of person chihaya needs.
People here think that author hate taichi or something. But if she really did that and arata got all the character development instead then arata would have surpassed both taichi and chihaya by a wide margin.
Just take a look at kiriyama from 3-gatsu no lion, he is most similar to arata and how much of a quality character he is just because of development.
Nov 8, 2019 12:41 PM
Dec 2018
yosish said:
Here’s the last thing that irked me about this chapter, Chihaya’s actions in the last couple of pages when she finds out Taichi left. Now, before people jump down my throat, let me explain. As I said before, Chihaya is very self-centered sometimes and so Karuta-centered. She was confused with what happened between her and Taichi, feeling so awkward and weird (probably guilty?). The right course of action when you find out your best friend who just confessed his love to you (and you rejected him) quit your favorite club… is not to run after him on the street, crying and bawling and ordering him to not leave the club. Again, the world doesn’t revolve around Chihaya and her feelings only, other people have their own feelings too. Taichi does. Chihaya didn’t even ‘ask’ him why he decided to leave the club. She didn’t even ask him how he’s been doing the last couple of days after confessing (when all she did was keeping her distance away from him and not even looking him in the eyes). She, instead, demanded and pleaded he stays with the club. Chihaya just doesn’t understand the amount of struggle Taichi has been going through and she seems oblivious to his pain, anger and sadness on top of that and this breaks Taichi even more. Because it’s all about Karuta to Chihaya and his feelings be damned. That’s why he pointed it out to her, that he’s not ‘made of stone’, that he’s got feelings too, that he’s also just… tired of all of this. This is the lowest pit of despair that Taichi reached in this story. And as for the kiss, like I said I’m not going to condone it, call it romantic or romanticize it. Taichi was so full of desperation and anger that he wanted all those feelings to reach Chihaya (understandably). You can even tell that Taichi kind of regretted what he did the moment their lips touched so he backed away right after. But I’m not going to blow the kiss out of proportion too, calling it rapey and gross and yuck and OMG TAICHI YOU JERK! because no, it wasn’t like that.

Spot on. She is incredibly selfish in expecting him to stay in the club and it is ridiculous for people to say that he left to cause as much trouble as possible. I have no problem with her choice, even though I prefer Taichi, but to then expect him to stay there and suffer is just selfish and not respecting the other person at all. She's made her choice so she has to respect his feelings and how he feels he ought to deal with them.
Gab5Nov 8, 2019 12:44 PM
Mar 18, 2020 6:46 AM

Mar 2012
Saccharine said:
Let me just first start things off with I am a Chihaya x Arata shipper, and a lot of criticisms I see from the people who ship said pairing in regards to Taichi is very unfair.

Taichi is a human being. Of course he would need space from Chihaya. The love of his life life just rejected him, and he's supposed to pretend like it isn't tearing him up inside? So he can make Chihaya happy? It wouldn't be good for his mental health if he were to ignore his feelings for Chihaya's sake. It wouldn't be good for the team if he were to stay because he can no longer play karuta. He wouldn't be able to be the support pillar that he usually played the role of. People are calling Taichi selfish but that isn't correct. He's trying to do what's best for him. And seriously? Taichi is the last person anyone should be calling selfish. I think it's been pretty evident in past chapters Taichi himself doesn't like karuta as much as all the other people who play. He plays for Chihaya's and the team's sake even though he himself doesn't like it. lol so why are u calling him selfish idgi

Granted, the kiss that Taichi forced on Chihaya was unacceptable. I understand? I guess? but like forcing a kiss is really shitty and it's a trope that should end bc it isn't romantic at all it's uncomfortable for the person receiving

Personally, I loved Taichi's confession and it was easily one of the best scenes in the manga. Hands down. Taichi's confession is important because it's forcing Chihaya to grow up. It's one thing if Arata confessed to her, but it means an entirely different thing because Taichi confessed to her. This is Taichi, someone she knew from childhood, someone whom she grew up with (granted they were distant in middle school years, but). His confession will allow her to reevaluate both what Taichi and Arata mean to her, and then properly choose a partner, if not any. Chihaya's childish, and her childishness is what has been hurting him. Hopefully this causes much needed development for her, because though Arata and Chihaya have received development, Taichi's development was far more in depth and literally overtakes everyone's development, like holy shit. i thought this was chihaya's story l o l

Also? People are saying Taichi's awful because he's rich? Why are you attacking him for circumstances he literally cannot fucking help? Why is he being vilified because he has money? That may have influenced who he was when he was younger, but he's so much more than being a rich kid. So because he's rich he can't have the girl he loves? like what r u sayin

tl;dr taichi ain't selfish he's a human being w human feelings who is going to help chihaya develop more as a character god bless and

also why people hate taichi and arata so much they're so good wow i love them both

wow i just caught up to this manga @4 am i love it so much god bless
Oh, I agree with this old post except for one detail. I think Taichi was being somewhat selfish for how he stole that kiss from her. It was completely nonconsensual He knows Chihaya is dense and that will mess her up. However, he does need time and space away from her in order to move on so he needed to quit the club.
May 4, 2021 5:54 AM

Jul 2020
Damn so much to hate on about Taichi in this discussion thread, but what I’m interested in is how he and Chihaya will move forth because this ain’t gonna be easy for both of them to move on emotionally. Yea I see the hate but the character development throughout this series why I find this chapter bittersweet yet beautiful.
May 4, 2021 9:00 AM

Oct 2012
You are right....this is certainly the pivotal moment of the story that will bring on change. So yes keep reading!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.