Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 3, 2014 9:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, they didn't waste any time with the fire and action so far. Not bad.

I find the OP song to be unique so far but not entirely sure the direction this series will go. The series has mature themes so the fanservicy scenes were expected. Actually, that took a lot more screen time than I had thought.

Violence aside, Herman is a certain kind of awesome.
Oct 3, 2014 9:59 AM

Jun 2014
Needs a lot more attention I think.
Previously: BlueXRam
Oct 3, 2014 9:59 AM

Apr 2009
well, that was fun

I like the art style, which is surprising.
Oct 3, 2014 10:02 AM
Aug 2014
Miss the OP.

The ED was good.

Don't really like the artystyle though.

Also are this stand-alone GARO series or prequel?
Oct 3, 2014 2:09 PM

Jul 2011
really good start!

Oct 3, 2014 2:19 PM

Apr 2014
wtf did i just watch

ugh i hate the art style i mean it could have a nice premise but im not feeling the atmosphere at all

i hate the mixture of 3D to 2D

this one is a drop from me ( i just wanted to try it out dont castrate me for being a hater im not)
moodieOct 3, 2014 2:24 PM
Oct 3, 2014 2:38 PM

Jan 2013
Altaraiser said:
Miss the OP.

The ED was good.

Don't really like the artystyle though.

Also are this stand-alone GARO series or prequel?

It's totally stand alone. Only thing in common is the franchise

That was a pretty interesting episode (but not the best). I hope the plot gets more interesting later on, and it looks like it will due to the different characters' paths converging
brianezOct 6, 2014 9:36 AM

Oct 3, 2014 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
Oct 3, 2014 4:56 PM

Mar 2013
That scene of the knight who took the baby was pretty awesome to be honest. The art style was interesting, fairly new to what I'm used to. The hint of comedy gave a special note to this first episode. The battle between Leon and the Hollows was quite epic, huh. Looking forward to the next!
Oct 3, 2014 5:16 PM

Mar 2012
Just watched that one hot scene and it reminded me of one of Schwarzenegger's movie. Conan maybe hmm.
Oct 3, 2014 7:18 PM

Jun 2012
Wait.

What the heck.
Oct 3, 2014 8:38 PM

Mar 2008
Awesome ep 200% exceeded my expectation
Oct 3, 2014 11:46 PM

Jul 2014
Nice, wasnt expecting anything like this during this season.

Started with a really cool scene, that fight with the demon was awesome andthe armor they are use looks badass.

I will be waiting for more.
Oct 4, 2014 12:31 AM

Jan 2008
I really love the tokusatsu series (the Kouga era), it is strange to see Garo animated, looked very different. Not sure what to think yet will have to watch some more to get an idea.
Oct 4, 2014 2:02 AM
Sep 2011
Omg, the OP animation makes me swoon (as expected of Studio MAPPA). That alone would already put this show above most of other anime airing this season. Looks like Tomoyuki Niho who also did a lot of work on Birdy the Mighty Decode was in charge of handling most of it.

As for the episode the blend of CGI and 2D was much less distracting than it was in Karas that had the same people working on it, it actually looks quite stylish. The character designs are very... angular but I like the sharp look. The scene when a random character was walking down the hallway, lured in by the demon, stood out to me with how atmospheric it was, accentuated by that particular colour scheme.
EudaimoniaOct 6, 2014 1:39 AM
Oct 4, 2014 3:04 AM
Sep 2013
Looks pretty promising but I don't know if I can stand the art-style. Also, since his dad likes to screw around a lot, how many bastard half-siblings does he have? Or does the dad only likes to screw monsters?
Oct 4, 2014 3:14 AM

Dec 2012
>_< Sugeeee! Chest hair and monster babes! *sniffs a nosebleed*
Oct 4, 2014 6:26 AM

May 2013
So all of you guys watched it in Japanese?
Oct 4, 2014 6:46 AM
Jan 2014
DaDiRa said:
So all of you guys watched it in Japanese?

Pretty much. Nobody's fansubbing it as of right now.
Oct 4, 2014 7:11 AM
May 2007
I wish Keita Amemiya, the original creator of the Garo tokusatsu series, also did the character design. I love his art work. The design feels too stream line/childish for a mature series like Garo. It is nice to see JAM project doing the music, but the sequences felt too much like an acid trip and does nothing to establish that it is a horror/action thing. I also didn't like the formula of this episode personally. But that's just me way too used to the original tokusatsu series but I do give it credit for doing something different by taking place in medieval Europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C08AhXvUgQ
plus, ALL of the live action series always have this English narration and was surprised the anime didnt have it.

Also, where the fuck was Zaruba? I hope this anime gives him an origin story though I believe it was Amon, a priest from the original series who created him unless Amon based it on another Zaruba.

i also wish Leon fought the horror in his human form without transforming too quickly, I always loved in the tokusatsu series, Kouga, Ryuuga and Raiga would always fight without the armor and then transform as a last resort. I also hope in this series they re-establish the 99.9 second rule. But I hope as the series progresses, we learn how they obtained the Golden armor.
Oct 4, 2014 10:29 PM

Apr 2014
It's such a pain waiting for subs. If they don't come out in the next 2 days, I'm dropping this.
CM said:
Right now, me, right now, in Cleveland, Ohio, take fucking care of me right fucking now. Don't worry about where I'm supposed to be tomorrow. Don't worry about what segment I'm supposed to be. Fucking fix me. My fucking ribs are broken, my knee is fucking torn up, I'm fucking sick. Fucking help me.
Oct 4, 2014 11:00 PM

May 2013
KRpika said:
It's such a pain waiting for subs. If they don't come out in the next 2 days, I'm dropping this.

Yeah, that would actually work in case you were paying for it, but I guess you don't, so nobody but you is losing in this case.
Oct 5, 2014 12:31 AM

Jun 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, they didn't waste any time with the fire and action so far. Not bad.

I find the OP song to be unique so far but not entirely sure the direction this series will go. The series has mature themes so the fanservicy scenes were expected. Actually, that took a lot more screen time than I had thought.

Violence aside, Herman is a certain kind of awesome.

if you don't know
first watch the live-action series before watching the anime version, dude!!!

Yoshiki said:
I really love the tokusatsu series (the Kouga era), it is strange to see Garo animated, looked very different. Not sure what to think yet will have to watch some more to get an idea.

this can be see as alternate timeline from garo main series, maybe
since main script handle by Kobayashi Yasuko & the setting in europe rather than japan
TyrelOct 5, 2014 12:23 PM
Oct 5, 2014 1:15 AM

May 2013
Is that so? I thought it was just not on the list. So... anyone knows any other group?
Oct 5, 2014 1:49 AM
May 2007
I want to know if the series will mostly have Herman as the main character or Leon.

Plus, usually the Makai Knight titles as pass from father to son or from instructor to disciple so the idea that both father and son are Makai knights is just too uncharacteristic for me but I still want to support this as a long time fan of the franchise. I just want Zaruba damn it and I heard that Kageyama Hironobu will continue to voice him.

I also have a big ass feeling that the advisor to the king is really a horror.
Oct 5, 2014 4:30 AM
Oct 2014
Does anyone know if subtitles will be coming out at all? I couldn't find anything. :(
I really need them! I have to translate the episode and people still need to voice it in Russian.
Oct 5, 2014 4:47 AM

Dec 2012
Haven't found anyone willing so far. Garo is to be simlcast by Funimation, however a date has not been set yet.

Whoever has a Funi subscription and access, could tell us the story a bit.
Oct 5, 2014 6:48 AM

Sep 2013
As a Garo fan this did not disappoint. It wa all I wanted from a Garo anime can't wait for more
Oct 5, 2014 6:56 AM
Mar 2011
its not as good as the live action il watch makai no hana more tham this any day
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Oct 5, 2014 11:45 PM

Jan 2011
Mod Note: A subbed version is now available in the usual places, but this is an opportune time to remind folks that "Subs Where?" posts and responses will be removed. Linking to a streaming or download site is also considered a violation of the Site & Forum Guidelines, and may result in warnings or bans.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 6, 2014 12:46 AM

Apr 2014
I don't have high hopes for this show so far. First ep was meh.
Oct 6, 2014 12:55 AM

Apr 2013
pretty cool first ep.
Oct 6, 2014 1:16 AM
Sep 2010
Hidayat246 said:

Long time Garo fan here, no indication yet its in some kind of alternate continuity or setting. From what we know, its just a prequel work since its set hundreds of years earlier. The One Who Shines Through Darkness aka Garo Season 3 is set two hundred years after Kouga's era.

It's just a canon side story set earlier in the timeline.
Oct 6, 2014 2:03 AM

Dec 2013
Bad-Average first ep. I'll give this maybe one or two more episodes to show itself
Oct 6, 2014 2:49 AM

Dec 2012
Yoshikage said:
Hidayat246 said:

Long time Garo fan here, no indication yet its in some kind of alternate continuity or setting. From what we know, its just a prequel work since its set hundreds of years earlier. The One Who Shines Through Darkness aka Garo Season 3 is set two hundred years after Kouga's era.

Are they the same person (who reincarnates) or the legacy goes to different people in different eras (like in Karas)?
Oct 6, 2014 4:27 AM

Apr 2011
Prettty good first ep. I really love the OP and ED animations they are pretty slick.
4/5
Oct 6, 2014 4:47 AM

Oct 2010
So glad this live action got an anime. I hope they show Zaruba but i doubt it. I'm just glad its not in the future.
Oct 6, 2014 5:59 AM

May 2013
Welp, its been a while since I heard Daisuke Namikawa and Romi Park voicing a main character but story-wise, I'm gonna stick to it, sasuga MAPPA for the OP
The world shall know the truth soon.
Oct 6, 2014 5:59 AM

Jun 2013
that art style is kinda weird
Oct 6, 2014 6:07 AM

Oct 2013
yukishiromei said:
That scene of the knight who took the baby was pretty awesome to be honest. The art style was interesting, fairly new to what I'm used to. The hint of comedy gave a special note to this first episode. The battle between Leon and the Hollows was quite epic, huh. Looking forward to the next!

yeah, this season a lot of fantasies, some with good animation.
Oct 6, 2014 6:55 AM

Jan 2010
The direction and execution of the anime were good to others, but for me missing the story a bit more convincing, this whole universe sounds kind of cliché and too forced, I do not see anything new, little can be seen of the characters in this episode, but the action scenes were great! I hope the quality does not drop.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the
Oct 6, 2014 8:04 AM

Mar 2013
Well this pretty much exceeded my expectations, art and animation were amazing and the atmosphere is quite nice , definitely a great first episode
Oct 6, 2014 9:15 AM

Jun 2014
I love this anime , outstanding
Oct 6, 2014 10:39 AM

Jan 2012
The weird armor totally reminded me of Karas...
Oct 6, 2014 11:00 AM

Aug 2008
MAPPA is gradually becoming my favorite studio.

This looks promising and has a lot of potential! The staff behind this is trustworthy, I'm expecting it to be at least excellent. But this is so underrated, people are missing out a good series, I would have watched it as soon as it was out if I knew it was the 3 oct...

The CGI was apparent but acceptable. I don't mind it. :) And the OST played during the last fight reminded me so much of Kajiura Yuki's OST in Tsubasa Chronicle and Pandora Hearts.

And all the scenes in the hotel were hawt. 8)
KuriniOct 6, 2014 11:04 AM
Oct 6, 2014 11:19 AM

Jan 2013
Garo fan here and I personally don't get all the bitching since this was a fine episode. Plus I rather like that we get a prequel to the main series instead of an anime that tries to shoehorn itself into the present day shows (pretty sure that would be a big ol' mess). :P

I'm honestly excited to see where this will go, since the action was damn cool and the plot is definitely going to be something else. CG was handled well and it did blend into the animation nicely. (I said it somewhere else, but it looks better than the initial CG done for the first Garo season. ...no, I really don't mean to bag on the first season. The whole series just got better after it.) And I guess I'm one of the few fans of the art style. I do miss the super intricate coats though.

Also can't wait for Zaruba! God I miss that smartass ring. XD
Oct 6, 2014 11:22 AM

Jan 2013
zellami said:
Yoshikage said:

Are they the same person (who reincarnates) or the legacy goes to different people in different eras (like in Karas)?

Nope, the Garo armor usually passes on from father to son or master to disciple. So Leon isn't the same as the main TV show Garo holders, but with this being a prequel, he could either be an ancestor to Kouga (the main Garo knight in the TV series up to the 3rd season) or just someone who ends up passing on the armor. :D
Oct 6, 2014 11:36 AM

Oct 2013
Well, it looks promising so far, I hope it doesn't degrade into a generic shounen...
I am a human.
Oct 6, 2014 11:49 AM

Mar 2009
Very good first episode.
I really enjoy the different animation style as well as the music.
Too bad this will probably not get the attention it deserves.
Oct 6, 2014 12:00 PM
Jan 2013
I feel bad for the whore who have to die co'z of some Horror who intervened with German's love making.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

65 by macabongx »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:02 PM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2015

204 by Inexplicable »»
Oct 4, 2022 3:50 PM

» 2nd half is a lot better than first

Barry_Allen_14 - Aug 16, 2021

2 by Scythe97 »»
Sep 30, 2022 3:52 AM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

89 by Creepyarea »»
Sep 17, 2022 1:42 AM

Poll: » Garo: Honoo no Kokuin Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

101 by dragynfaerie »»
Jun 26, 2022 8:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.