Forum Settings
Forums

How has getting older as an anime fan affected you?

New
Oct 1, 2014 11:33 AM

Aug 2010
like how has it affected your tastes, preferences, and opinions. OR even how you feel about the genre now or how the genre has changed over time. Or any thing else you can think of.

For instance, ive been watching anime for around 11 years now. I used to only enjoy shonen shows and not think too much about plot and stuff like that. Now I've realized that most shows are quite average. A lot of the same stuff is just rehashed over and over again (this actually applies to all forms of media). That's however, when I realized that that didn't matter as much to me, because I enjoy the fight scenes more than anything. And I mean well animated fight scenes - not like the flashes of light DBZ give us (I love dbz btw, the fights were just not well animated).
I also now study animation, so that affects how I judge shows these days too. Scene selections, animations, coloring are stuff I think about now too.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 1, 2014 11:35 AM

Sep 2013
As a kid I thought DBZ was GOAT, now I think it's just your regular battle shonen.
I grew to appreciate soundtrack,art.
Watching hentai also came with age.
Oct 1, 2014 11:40 AM

Aug 2010
ooh I just though of something else. The pacing of shows has changed a lot too. I find this is the same in most media though.
Everything is way more quicker paced. U can take shows from the 80s to the 90s to the now and see how it gets faster and faster. In the 80s id have said the pacing was painfully slow, but in the 2010s id says it's too fast. Combined with how in recent years shows are designed to be 12 episodes its hard to fit in a complex plot or characters.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Oct 1, 2014 11:41 AM

Mar 2013
I don´t seem to have the patience for long anime anymore.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2014 11:43 AM

Jul 2014
Mycelistsukiyo said:

This.
Oct 1, 2014 11:44 AM
Dec 2013
Start of this year, i could finish a series in one day and now i can't even finish one episode
Mycelistsukiyo said:
I don´t seem to have the patience for ANY anime anymore.
Oct 1, 2014 11:48 AM

Oct 2012
I wouldn't say getting older really affects me as an anime fan, other than time issues. As your work load increases, it becomes more difficult to invest more time into anime, so you are less likely to pick up longer shows. As you get older, your amount of anime watched has increased, so you also become more familiar with the mechanics of anime.
Oct 1, 2014 11:51 AM

Jul 2014
Unless the anime is god-tier for me i won't be able to marathon it. i barely watch more then 10 eps a day now

Also
Mycelistsukiyo said:
Oct 1, 2014 11:56 AM

Feb 2013
Okashi--chan said:
Unless the anime is god-tier for me i won't be able to marathon it. i barely watch more then 10 eps a day now

10 episodes is still a lot. That is pretty much an entire short series. I usually watch only around 0-3 episodes a day now.

I also have way higher expectations now, and am less tolerant to genre I used to watch consistently.
Oct 1, 2014 12:03 PM

Jul 2014
Piegoose said:
Okashi--chan said:

10 episodes is still a lot. That is pretty much an entire short series. I usually watch only around 0-3 episodes a day now.

i'm currently on a holiday. so i'm free all day. i can watch about 20-25 eps a day. but i can barely reach the 10 eps count
Oct 1, 2014 12:10 PM

May 2012
i think my taste for anime and manga grew more as i did rather than growing out of certain genres or tropes they have. back when i was in my early teens, all i really messed with was shonen jump stuff but at the same time, i never really ruled out all the other types of anime and manga i was exposed to. if there is one type of anime i did grow out of and lost interest in, it would be the more kiddy collect them all type shows that had some sort of tie-in with a line of toys or games.
Oct 1, 2014 12:21 PM

Jul 2012
I'm actually respecting more long runners and trying to faithfully finish them (including filler...excluding Conan)

Otherwise, my rating is much harder than before as I watch more stuff. I also get entertained less easily. Shows like Fairy Tail have a hard time peaking my interest because it's written for kids and has no depth unlike other shounen such as FMA or HxH which can appeal to an older audience. I also have respected more older works as I aged...At the same time, I start realizing that a lot of older anime are as shitty as modern ones! :P
Oct 1, 2014 12:46 PM

Jun 2013
Hmm only thing i noticed is that im a bit harder to please and I am able to enjoy animes that dont only involve crazy fighting scenes and lots of yelling and nakama themes. All in all I'm able to appreciate more mature themed animes and I gradually am shifting from mainly watching shonens to seinens.
Oct 1, 2014 12:47 PM

Jul 2012
^ Yeah, action (specifically fighting/magic) is a genre I'm starting to not enjoy, at least not as much as before.
Oct 1, 2014 12:48 PM

Dec 2009
I've been watching anime for about 15+ years. The one big thing I can say that has changed from when I first started watching is that I can be very selective now. Back when I started watching DVDs weren't that big and there was zero steaming sights and barely any downloads to be had; torrent was barely there either. Most of the time I only had what was at the video stores and what my friends had. I knew I love anime and I wanted to watch it, so I basically watched whatever I could get my hands on. Which was basically VHS dubbs lol . . . brings back some memories.

This also means that most of the stuff I watched early on was the dubbed and censored for American cable viewing. This of course later changed and I started being able to buy/rent dvds and download episodes. Then streaming happened and I am the happiest person to watch anime ever!

Another thing is that I believe is due to my age; especially on MAL, is that I don't usually hold the same opinion on the quality or how great an anime or manga is with the younger fans. I'm more lenient as far as art and scene quality goes, but I'm a lot more particular on story and development. A lot of the time I just don't get why some titles are so popular, when I think they're just really average. (not that there aren't older titles that are really average either lol)

Also sometimes series just feel really rushed now too; but I don't miss how drawn out some series got. Just sad that some titles could have used a season of 25 episodes instead of the now usual 12-15.

Oct 1, 2014 12:50 PM

Jan 2014
It has made me realize that moe is destroying the industry.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Oct 1, 2014 12:53 PM

Jun 2010
While I feel nostalgic about some stuff from the late 80s and early 90s, it hurts every time people overrate it and the shitstorm starts. Guess the luckiest are the ones who didn't get enough attention.

Overall, tho, I don't see much of a difference. Besides that as a kid I watched my Nanoha-tier stuff and now sometimes I stay away from it, I still enjoy a broad range of series. Just can't take the fighting shounen anymore, but this is due to exhaustion after years of prolonged exposure to it.
The trick is balance KyoAni-like SoL with SoL-stuff and heavier thought-provoking Satoshi-tier antics.
Oct 1, 2014 12:58 PM

Jun 2013
I do the same thing. I always try to balance out the heavier , thought provoking stuff with easy digestible stuff. Marathoning animes is something that i dont really do anymore except for shows that are really good. At the moment that is Kaiji.
Oct 1, 2014 1:05 PM

Feb 2013
when i was a kid i watched only shounen stuff on tv
now i watch a lot of different genres on pc
Oct 1, 2014 1:06 PM

Jun 2012
If I never found MAL I would have enjoyed a lot more shows.
Oct 1, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2014
Watching anime was never different to me as for example watching the big bang theory.
But since I watched a few non-children-targeted-anime I really started loving it and now I only watch anime and nothing else. :>
It wasn't me who was wrong, it was the world!
Oct 1, 2014 1:18 PM

Jun 2014
Nate-Senpai said:
I do the same thing. I always try to balance out the heavier , thought provoking stuff with easy digestible stuff. Marathoning animes is something that i dont really do anymore except for shows that are really good. At the moment that is Kaiji.

I can't marathon kaiji feel like im gonna have a heart attack every episode
Oct 1, 2014 1:19 PM

Apr 2014
My tastes didn't change that much over the years except for a brief period of time during my late teens when I favored anything dark or depressive like Shigurui and Texhnolyze over anything else. Recently I seem to be more attracted to quirky non-serious "style over substance" shows, again like I did in my childhood.
Other than that, I can't invest as much time watching anime as I did when I was younger anymore which isn't that bad actually. Usually I just watch 3-4 episodes before going to bed. Sometimes more in the week-end if I have nothing better to do but that's it.
Oct 1, 2014 1:35 PM
Sep 2014
As a child, watching anime (as well as TV show and movies) and getting enjoyment out of it was much easier for me. Which is why I think many of the shounen (gateway) anime are much better tailored towards younger viewers who just want a blast watching something.

Sometimes I wish that I could go back to the simpler times where I can watch something without looking through a critical eye.
Oct 1, 2014 2:16 PM

Jan 2014
A year ago I only watched Long Running Anime, action anime, and harem anime. My attention span was so bad when I first began watching anime. I remember, a year ago I tried to watch Steins;Gate, and I stopped watching it after 5 minutes because it seemed boring, now it's one of my all time favorites. As I completed more anime over the months, my interest grew, and expanded to other genres such as such as slice of lice, and psychological. I realized there were so many good anime that had thought provoking elements, uniqueness, deep messages about life, and etc, with zero/to very little action in them. It really shows how I have grown with anime, and made my view on life different. This is only the beginning for me, I still have hundreds upon hundreds of anime to watch :)
Oct 1, 2014 3:41 PM

Feb 2010
It made me more patient (when it comes to waiting for fansubs, weekly episodes, long-ass breaks between OVA releases etc...) and more appreciating for the variety.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 1, 2014 3:43 PM

Jun 2008
natsucule said:
As a kid I thought DBZ was GOAT, now I think it's just your regular battle shonen.

In another ten years you will realize that DBZ really is GOAT.
Oct 1, 2014 3:44 PM

Oct 2010
I started late (just five years ago) and my anime watching pace is quite slow, so the only thing it may have done is increasing my laziness to search and complete series. My aim for variety is the same as always and my tastes haven't changed significantly. Maybe growing a little tired of certain formulas/ideas but not even close to be a problem.
Oct 1, 2014 4:09 PM

Jan 2012
I think I've gone away from series with "darker" plots as I've gotten older. Not that I really watched many of them anyway, but I definitely try to feel good from watching anime and bleak stuff usually doesn't do that for me. Maybe that's why I'm not as crazy with Attack on Titan as seemingly everyone else is.
Oct 1, 2014 4:10 PM

Mar 2013
Monad said:
natsucule said:

Serious question What do you mean with GOAT?

When I was 13 I was really excited about managing to buy the Elfenlied manga that just got released in Germany and had an 18+ sticker on it. Watching/reading brutal stuff aimed at an older audience made me feel more mature and I was thinking everyone underestimates me. But now I don´t even care if a show is aimed at children or adults, as long as it interests me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2014 4:12 PM

Feb 2013
I crave variety a lot more, I can't just watch 3-4 romance orientated shows any more without losing interest.
Oct 1, 2014 4:12 PM

Feb 2013
Monad said:
natsucule said:

What if I didn't even think too much of it back then?
Oct 1, 2014 4:15 PM

Sep 2014
I can't watch episodic shows anymore; I need direction
Oct 1, 2014 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
Mycelistsukiyo said:
Monad said:

G.O.A.T. = Greatest of All Time
Oct 1, 2014 4:17 PM

Sep 2014
Qans said:

I think the problem is the pacing. There's not enough downtime between the various schemes, twists, etc.; you take in way too much tension at once
Oct 1, 2014 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
It's gotten harder for me to get into shounen. I mean I don't even know if I'll watch the Seven Deadly Sins because it looks so childish to me (even if I know it isn't). So I usually stick with seinen these days.

I've grown a deep hatred for anything related to moe or loli's.

And I've really been into hentai manga, or adult themed manga in general.
Oct 1, 2014 4:20 PM

Mar 2014
I wish I never found MAL and other YouTube anime channels, then I would enjoy anime more.
I'm still in my first year of anime. I can no longer marathon an anime. After marathoning so many series, it has burnt me out and I can no longer marathon a series.
The more and more anime I watch, the more I dislike the Japanese language too
Oct 1, 2014 4:29 PM

Sep 2013
As a kid I thought DBZ was GOAT, now I think it's the GOAT again.
The industry sucks!
Oct 1, 2014 5:07 PM

Dec 2012
Started by basically watching action and sci-fi titles, now I watch pretty much any genre.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Oct 1, 2014 5:08 PM

Dec 2013
Anything on Adult Swim, to anything on the internet.
From TV, to a computer monitor.
Step Into My Mind - ##&&##&&##&&
Oct 1, 2014 5:18 PM

Nov 2013
Piegoose said:
Okashi--chan said:

I also have way higher expectations now, and am less tolerant to genre I used to watch consistently.

pretty much this^
Oct 1, 2014 6:04 PM

Jan 2014
[quote=notsomacho]
Qans said:

Kaiji is easily one of the best psychological anime I have seen, I completed both seasons in 4 days. Trust me you'll see the greatness soon :)
Oct 1, 2014 8:48 PM

Mar 2012
RedRoseFring said:
It has made me realize that moe is destroying the industry.
The fact that you haven't realised that notion is complete bullshit shows that you still have a lot of growing up to do.
Oct 1, 2014 8:55 PM
Feb 2014
Yeah it definitely has. I've grown disillusioned by how much people desire to be trolls and how much people are that are willingly proud of being closed-minded towards others, all at the same time denying all of the aforementioned. Maybe people think they're still on /a/ when they post on MAL which is widely "argued" to be the discussion-friendly part of the anime community, but is far from that.

It's best if I simply talk to anime fans who are fully aware of themselves without being condescending to whoever they're talking to and my friends who probably don't care about my preferences and interests in the medium one way or the other.
Oct 1, 2014 9:49 PM

Jul 2014
i definitely feel a difference between my old and recent self. yeah, me too. (however, i don't consider myself as an 'animefan', huh.) years ago, i didn't pay attention to browse in database. or, i tried to but somehow i didn't have a life experience which helps to be more selective to find exactly this or that.

oookay, something personal: years ago, i tried to watch shoujo ai (yuri) because i identified as a lesbian girl and that helped me a lot to realize that i'm not alone though i didn't know anyone like me personally. my anime picks were just random (like i turned the tv on when i was bored) or they were based solely on shoujo ai relationship to feel myself better. i kept this in secret as much as i could.
now, as not identifying that gender (and so on) anymore, and since i'm living on my own, gaining experience freely, i can spend time to explore myself in a way like... nowadays anime (and manga) triggers the 'deep emotional, thoughtful one about life' and the 'creative artist' parts. i concentrate more on the inner stuff.
to put it in short, years ago i was just scratching the surface. now, as older, i'm digging myself in. i'm much more conscious about picking and/or watching this or that. and more treasure i find, so overall, this is pretty cool. :)
Oct 1, 2014 9:50 PM
Mar 2014
probably the only change is, that i feel more attracted towards seinen stuff instead, and care more about stuff in the anime, i just feel like shounen stuff makes me cringe now days, stuff like fairy tails " FRIENDSHIP WINS!!!" and stuff like that just makes me cringe and unable to watch it. Thats about it.
Oct 1, 2014 9:55 PM

Jun 2012
What the heck, you tell me.
Oct 1, 2014 10:22 PM
Oct 2010
Kruszer said:
Started by basically watching action and sci-fi titles, now I watch pretty much any genre.

This especially with SoL and comedy anime (hardly watched any before 2011.. well still hardly watch any but I'm way more open to good ones now), I am also able to identify and understand themes a lot more now.

I've also been able to appreciate shounen more from a journey aspect.
Oct 2, 2014 1:02 AM
Sep 2007
Not really much, because even when I was a young teenager I found a lot of things in anime too childish and overdramatic.
Oct 2, 2014 1:38 PM
Apr 2013
Mycelistsukiyo said:

lol @ people who can't even ask Google a simple question

trijugate said:
Sometimes I wish that I could go back to the simpler times

so much this haha
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

32 by Kenzolo-folk »»
11 seconds ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

72 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
55 seconds ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

76 by Bandulf »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Favorite Beater in anime

Catalano - 1 hour ago

4 by Zettaiken »»
5 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.