Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Aug 19, 2015 6:40 AM

Oct 2014
lupadim said:
One Piece has a few perks that make it popular. For once, it is the best anime ever.

That's empirically untrue.
Aug 19, 2015 6:42 AM

Aug 2012
Nxtslide said:
lupadim said:
One Piece has a few perks that make it popular. For once, it is the best anime ever.
Yet objectively true. Pick your poison.
Aug 19, 2015 6:47 AM

Oct 2012
lupadim said:
Nxtslide said:
Why is FMA:B ranked #1 and One Piece isn't even in the top 50 then?
Aug 19, 2015 6:49 AM

Oct 2014
lupadim said:
Nxtslide said:

Both.

How can an anime, that has objectively mediocre to below average animation be the best? with objectively one dimensional main characters? with objectively repetitive badly paced plot?
Aug 19, 2015 6:51 AM

Aug 2012
Feaor said:
lupadim said:
That happens because of a big number of people that watch one episode of One Piece, drop it immediately because of the art style and then give it a low score. That happens with every anime, of course, but there's a key thing here: When an anime is still going, all those low scores given when the person watched just one episode still count towards the anime's rating. However, when the anime is considered "Complete" in MAL, a magical rule applies. That rule is the 1/3 rule and requires the person to have watched at least 1/3 of the anime before their score can actually count to the anime's rating.

Now tell me: What do you think the score given by people that watched 200 ~ 400 episodes of One Piece will be? One Piece will obviously jump to #1 once it gets complete, just wait for it.
Aug 2015
Feaor said:
lupadim said:
That's based on an individual opinion, it doesn't have to be in the top 50 or 10 to be the "best" anime.
"Those who don't understand true pain, will never understand true peace...." - Pain

Apr 2015
Nxtslide said:
How can an anime, that has objectively mediocre to below average animation be the best? with objectively one dimensional main characters? with objectively repetitive badly paced plot?

Hypnosis.
Aug 19, 2015 6:53 AM

Aug 2012
Nxtslide said:
For one, the anime is completely irrelevant here (What matters is the source material, the manga, which has astonishing art style). But, tell me: Do you really think that this animation is considered "below average"?

You say the characters are one dimensional, but they are the opposite of that as they grow up a lot as the series goes on. And how is the plot badly paced if it is One Piece's main attractive?
Aug 19, 2015 6:54 AM

Oct 2014
lupadim said:
Feaor said:
That happens because of a big number of people that watch one episode of One Piece, drop it immediately because of the art style and then give it a low score. That happens with every anime, of course, but there's a key thing here: When an anime is still going, all those low scores given when the person watched just one episode still count towards the anime's rating. However, when the anime is considered "Complete" in MAL, a magical rule applies. That rule is the 1/3 rule and requires the person to have watched at least 1/3 of the anime before their score can actually count to the anime's rating.

Now tell me: What do you think the score given by people that watched 200 ~ 400 episodes of One Piece will be? One Piece will obviously jump to #1 once it gets complete, just wait for it.

Lol, there is more users who gave FMA 10s and 9s, than shit piece, your obvious bullshit is invalid.

This might fly if you are comparing HxH and One Piece. But FMA has even more members than one piece.

Oct 2010
Nxtslide said:
lupadim said:

Both.

Too much Ayn Rand for a Chinese cartoon.
Mar 2013
Because of marketing and the fact that it came along at the right time
Aug 19, 2015 6:56 AM

Oct 2014
lupadim said:
Nxtslide said:
For one, the anime is completely irrelevant here (What matters is the source material, the manga, which has astonishing art style). But, tell me: Do you really think that this animation is considered "below average"?

You say the characters are one dimensional, but they are the opposite of that as they grow up a lot as the series goes on. And how is the plot badly paced if it is One Piece's main attractive?

> using a movie to prove there is above average animation

Hahahaha. Thank you for proving my point.
Aug 19, 2015 6:57 AM

Aug 2012
Nxtslide said:
lupadim said:

Lol, there is more users who gave FMA 10s and 9s, than shit piece, your obvious bullshit is invalid.
How is the amount of members any relevant? Are you really trying here?

Look at Gintama". It's #3 and has only 36k members. What matters here is the average of score given by people that watched 1/3 of One Piece, which will obviously be all composed of 9s and 10s. You can cry as much as you want, One Piece will be #1.
Aug 19, 2015 6:57 AM

Jun 2014
lupadim said:
Nxtslide said:

True indeed.
All credit goes to Sacred.
Aug 19, 2015 7:03 AM
Aug 2015
don't watch the one piece anime instead read the manga cause the anime's art and animation is shit also the pacing is unnecessarily slow because its in the same arc as the manga right now
Aug 19, 2015 7:03 AM

Aug 2012
Nxtslide said:
lupadim said:

> using a movie to prove there is above average animation

Hahahaha. Thank you for proving my point.
Here is a scene from the anime then:

Aug 19, 2015 7:05 AM

Jul 2013
dboy13 said:
don't watch the one piece anime instead read the manga cause the anime's art and animation is shit also the pacing is unnecessarily slow because its in the same arc as the manga right now

>unnecessarily
>gives a reason afterwards

wut
Aug 19, 2015 7:14 AM

Nov 2010
Because it's the best anime ever.

Mad appeal, men, women, children, adults, even the elderly can find something they like One Piece. Large cast of lovable characters who's bond grows over their journey, quite a unique bond I must say. With an even larger cat of side characters that are interesting with multiple factions and motives. The universal theme of setting out on an adventure for your dreams. Has little filler and the filler that it does have is great and his the series enough that you can't tell. The story and world is made so masterfully that it's perfect for being a long runner, I don't know of any other series that does it that well. Things are foreshadowed hundreds of episodes before, characters come back at the right times, some things will not make perfect sense until later which just shows how good of an author Oda is. There are no illusions, the characters are always moving towards their dreams one island at a time, we are told of things that will basically happen in the future and along with Oda's planning you're actually excited about the future and know you have no chance of a false ending. Great back stories and stories each arc on top of overall. Imaginative and wacky world building which never ceases to amaze me. Somehow it manages a rollercoaster of emotions that work, lighthearted comedy, tension, seriousness, tear inducing drama, all without ever clashing, each one individual is better than most series that do it solely. Etc
IntroverTurtleAug 19, 2015 7:18 AM
Aug 19, 2015 7:24 AM
May 2009
IntroverTurtle said:

Mad appeal, men, women, children, adults, even the elderly can find something they like One Piece. Large cast of lovable characters who's bond grows over their journey, quite a unique bond I must say. With an even larger cat of side characters that are interesting with multiple factions and motives. The universal theme of setting out on an adventure for your dreams. Has little filler and the filler that it does have is great and his the series enough that you can't tell. The story and world is made so masterfully that it's perfect for being a long runner, I don't know of any other series that does it that well. Things are foreshadowed hundreds of episodes before, characters come back at the right times, some things will not make perfect sense until later which just shows how good of an author Oda is. There are no illusions, the characters are always moving towards their dreams one island at a time, we are told of things that will basically happen in the future and along with Oda's planning you're actually excited about the future and know you have no chance of a false ending. Great back stories and stories each arc on top of overall. Imaginative and wacky world building which never ceases to amaze me. Somehow it manages a rollercoaster of emotions that work, lighthearted comedy, tension, seriousness, tear inducing drama, all without ever clashing, each one individual is better than most series that do it solely. Etc

You finally arrived.
Aug 19, 2015 7:37 AM

Feb 2010
It's objectively great.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 19, 2015 7:37 AM

Jun 2013
IntroverTurtle said:

Do you have like a pre-written response for this question (seeing as it's one of the most often asked on MAL) that you just need to tweak a little each time?
Aug 19, 2015 7:40 AM

Jul 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Because it's the best anime ever

Not that I disagree with what you said but being the best or one of the best series ever doesn't mean that the show itself has to be popular. There are a lot of series that are considered by many people to be the best ever made and yet they're not really popular (LoGH, Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy...) and there are also plenty of series that are considered shit by many and yet they're popular (SAO, Code Geass, Elfen Lied...) so in the end you didn't really answer OP's question.
Aug 19, 2015 7:41 AM

Nov 2010
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
Do you have like a pre-written response for this question (seeing as it's one of the most often asked on MAL) that you just need to tweak a little each time?
I should do that but no, each one is typed up on the spot which explains the varying quality and structure. I'm often remembering things that I forgot and trying to smush them in there.
Aug 19, 2015 7:43 AM

Jan 2015
Because two piece isnt
Twitter and it's consequences had been a disaster for the human race
Aug 19, 2015 7:45 AM

Jun 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
I should do that but no, each one is typed up on the spot which explains the varying quality and structure. I'm often remembering things that I forgot and trying to smush them in there.
That's what I figured, and yeah it'd probably cut down on time if you did.
Aug 19, 2015 7:46 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
We should have a premade, automated response for all kinds of repetitive threads which make no sense. Like loli discussions, incest discussions, Gintama hating, SAO hating, what you should watch first out of F/SN and F/Z etc

Would save us all a lot of time and effort
Aug 19, 2015 7:47 AM

Feb 2015
Whatever I have see of it,its pretty good.The only problem is the length which can be intimidating...
Aug 19, 2015 7:48 AM

Jun 2013
HaXXspetten said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
We should have a premade, automated response for all kinds of repetitive threads which make no sense. Like loli discussions, incest discussions, Gintama hating, SAO hating, what you should watch first out of F/SN and F/Z etc

Yeah but then we would all argue about what that pre-written response should be.
Aug 19, 2015 7:52 AM

Feb 2013
Is it bad that I teared up a bit while watching a One Piece opening video compilation just now? This series just overflows me with emotions, yo.
Aug 19, 2015 7:52 AM
May 2009
HaXXspetten said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

We could start a club or group and just put them to file in a discussion for each anime.
Aug 19, 2015 7:53 AM
May 2009
Eden2307 said:
Is it bad that I teared up a bit while watching a One Piece opening video compilation just now?

Merry still draws tears.
Aug 19, 2015 7:54 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
FreshPrinceofMAL said:
HaXXspetten said:

Yeah but then we would all argue about what that pre-written response should be.
Just present the absolute facts. That way there's no room for argument
Aug 19, 2015 7:56 AM

Nov 2010
Eden2307 said:
Is it bad that I teared up a bit while watching a One Piece opening video compilation just now? This series just overflows me with emotions, yo.
I get close to crying when just remembering scenes. Nobody can blame you, especially if We Fight Together was in there.
Aug 19, 2015 7:56 AM

Feb 2013
shintai88 said:
Eden2307 said:
Is it bad that I teared up a bit while watching a One Piece opening video compilation just now?

Merry still draws tears.

Shows you how good OP is at making you get attached to and feel for the characters
even a goddamn boat
ChampAug 19, 2015 8:04 AM
Aug 19, 2015 7:57 AM

Feb 2010
HaXXspetten said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

Are you serious? 70% of the discussion on MAL is people arguing against absolute facts (because EVERYTHING is subjective after all and facts are just opinions of elitists). Like in this thread people argue that OP is not objectively great despite the opposite being self-evident for anyone with two eyes in his head.
Aug 19, 2015 7:58 AM

Feb 2015
HaXXspetten said:
FreshPrinceofMAL said:

facts are subjective though and are always meant to be debated
Aug 19, 2015 8:00 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
CDXX said:
HaXXspetten said:

Are you serious? 70% of the discussion on MAL is people arguing against absolute facts (because EVERYTHING is subjective after all and facts are just opinions of elitists). Like in this thread people argue that OP is not objectively great despite the opposite being self-evident for anyone with two eyes in his head.
You know that's not what I meant :s

People saying One Piece is good or bad isn't a fact. One Piece being the most sold manga of all time is an unarguable fact however. Etc
Aug 19, 2015 8:01 AM

Feb 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Eden2307 said:
I get close to crying when just remembering scenes. Nobody can blame you, especially if We Fight Together was in there.
We Fight Together is basically cheating, though. It was around Opening 9, it was just too magnificent.
Aug 19, 2015 8:04 AM

Nov 2012
Eden2307 said:
IntroverTurtle said:
We Fight Together is basically cheating, though. It was around Opening 9, it was just too magnificent.

Ayee
Aug 19, 2015 8:05 AM

Oct 2010
Eden2307 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Well, opening 14, but close enough :P

I don't seem to share the enthusiasm for We fight together but I admit that at the time it was a great catalyst of the emotions of the

arc.

Still, since I don't have that arc in such a high consideration this didn't work that well for me.
Aug 19, 2015 8:07 AM

Feb 2010
HaXXspetten said:
CDXX said:

You know that's not what I meant :s

People saying One Piece is good or bad isn't a fact. One Piece being the most sold manga of all time is an unarguable fact however. Etc

So you're one of them? Begone, devil!
Aug 19, 2015 8:08 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
=_=
Aug 19, 2015 8:09 AM
May 2009
Eden2307 said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Only 9 Openings? What number was One Day?
Aug 19, 2015 8:18 AM

Feb 2013
jal90 said:
Eden2307 said:

Well, opening 14, but close enough :P

I don't seem to share the enthusiasm for We fight together but I admit that at the time it was a great catalyst of the emotions of the

arc.

Still, since I don't have that arc in such a high consideration this didn't work that well for me.
I meant opening 9 was around when I started tearing up watching the compilation, lol. Just remembering One Piece's existence gets the feels started, and that song and video helped kick-start the waterworks. It's not even my favorite opening either.

How they fit in We Fight Together right at the perfect time where the they were finishing up those heavily emotional arcs made watching the opening for the first time overwhelming. I remember watching it for the first time whenever I watch it again.
shintai88 said:
Only 9 Openings? What number was One Day?
I linked it in this post. That's another heavily emotional opening I love that I played a lot while playing the arc on One Piece: Pirate Warriors. :p

Nov 2012
HaXXspetten said:
=_=

I'm sorry you read ~800 chapters and you couldn't find any loli-imoutos for your collection.

Jun 2014
One problem I have with One Piece, is that it lies to you.

Almost every time you see a picture of a girl from One Piece in a bikini, it's a Two Piece.

Aug 19, 2015 8:20 AM

Oct 2010
Working_Designs said:

Almost every time you see a picture of a girl from One Piece in a bikini, it's a Two Piece.

They do it on purpose, two piece you off.
Aug 19, 2015 8:20 AM

Jun 2014
jal90 said:
Working_Designs said:

They do it on purpose, two piece you off.

Very funny.

Aug 19, 2015 8:24 AM

May 2009
Years ago I was one of the people who blatantly stated that I would never watch One Piece because the art style was "simplistic" and the character designs were ugly, but I kept seeing really good fan art of certain characters and decided to watch one episode to prove to myself that I actually wasn't interested in it. I ended up being hooked by the first episode. Five years and 600+ episodes later and it's my favorite series.

I personally like One Piece because it's entertaining. The characters are likable, the plot is complex, the action is engaging, and the dramatic moments make me feel. I could go into more detail but it's kind of a waste of time trying to convince someone, a stranger who's tastes I know nothing about, to watch something if they have such strong feelings against it. Either watch it if you're interested or don't watch it if you don't want to. It's that simple.
Aug 19, 2015 8:33 AM
May 2009
SunflowerDaisho said:
Years ago I was one of the people who blatantly stated that I would never watch One Piece because the art style was "simplistic" and the character designs were ugly, but I kept seeing really good fan art of certain characters and decided to watch one episode to prove to myself that I actually wasn't interested in it. I ended up being hooked by the first episode. Five years and 600+ episodes later and it's my favorite series.

I personally like One Piece because it's entertaining. The characters are likable, the plot is complex, the action is engaging, and the dramatic moments make me feel. I could go into more detail but it's kind of a waste of time trying to convince someone, a stranger who's tastes I know nothing about, to watch something if they have such strong feelings against it. Either watch it if you're interested or don't watch it if you don't want to. It's that simple.

Took you 5 years to watch 600 episodes? Didn't you feel the urge just to marathon it in a month?
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 417 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

TrowaBarton141 - Sep 12, 2009

115 by gannoncannon55 »»
39 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 416 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JusticeGundam - Sep 5, 2009

87 by gannoncannon55 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 415 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Dinamet7 - Aug 29, 2009

104 by gannoncannon55 »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 414 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kevin_video - Aug 23, 2009

95 by gannoncannon55 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 413 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Znote - Aug 16, 2009

119 by gannoncannon55 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.