Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 12, 2014 10:01 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn it, they branded Rinka with one of those criminal marks. What the hell..just because she has ESP powers. Technically, she doesn't even have that anymore.

Minami returns to that island while Peggy is still captured :/

They didn't go light on this episode. RIP all those people. Yeah, definitely not one of those pleasant episodes..
Sep 12, 2014 11:40 AM

May 2013
That was a sad past. Now we know why the professor is doing this.
Sep 12, 2014 11:42 AM

Jul 2011
well it was nice to see why that guy was so thirsty for revenge.
And I get it.

There was not enough rinka-san in this episode. :/

ahhh cannot wait for the next episode.
Sep 12, 2014 11:57 AM

Aug 2010
That was quite an amazing episode.

Loved Professor's past. He just got screwed and stabbed in the back by his higher ups. No wonder he wants revenge. The people he dealt with were all Bastards!

The Seira death scene was so sad :(

Loving Prof as an antagonist more and more!
Sep 12, 2014 12:18 PM
Sep 2012
4/5 Great episode.

This is exactly the kind of backstory series villain needed and it's a pretty memorable one to boot. I don't feel bad for per se, but I definitely find him more interesting.

I'm kinda worried how things are gone wrap up in two episodes. :/
Sep 12, 2014 12:33 PM

Sep 2013
Well I must say this is the first time for me that the content made up for the fact that it was rushed.

The backstory was interesting and a good watch. I genuinely like the villain now. He isn't just a magneto rip off anymore.

Still dunno how he justifies killing innocents though. I guess I'll just chalk it up as "He's insane now" and leave it at that. lol

4/5, loses a point because still rushed but it wasn't as noticeable as it was in previous episodes.
Sep 12, 2014 12:34 PM
Jul 2018
It was good to know the past of Professor. Poor Seira, she used her last moments to heal and save and husband.

Now we understand why Professor wants revenge.
Sep 12, 2014 12:54 PM

Nov 2012
No wonder the professor is so mad. So he is an antihero, I just feel bad he is using his daughter and killing so many innocent people. Anyway, despite all the innocent people he is killing, I kind of want him to get his revenge.

I get the feeling that maybe who controls that ESP prison is part of the guys the professor is trying to get revenge on, or at least I wish they are and they get what they deserve from the professor as well.
Sep 12, 2014 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
Another predictable episode but at least it made me want to rewatch Indiana Jones.
Sep 12, 2014 1:42 PM

Jan 2014
Good episode. I think the best so far.

Professor's past is very well written. Wow, the Ark of the Covenant, what a motif, I thought.
I didn't expect that espers' power comes from stone tablets contains Ten Commandements.
And so, probably Middle East, some want-power warlord-general, Japanese goverment's scheming, war... Further hsitory of Professor and his resentment... Great episode.

But is very interesting who is this Japanese goverment guy that took one stone tablet.
Look forward for next episode and climax.
Sep 12, 2014 1:47 PM

Aug 2010
jose21 said:
No wonder the professor is so mad. So he is an antihero, I just feel bad he is using his daughter and killing so many innocent people. Anyway, despite all the innocent people he is killing, I kind of want him to get his revenge.

+1 My thoughts exactly.
Sep 12, 2014 2:09 PM

Oct 2013
DejWoSWK said:
Another predictable episode but at least it made me want to rewatch Indiana Jones.

When they were opening the ark I thought of Indiana Jones and how all people are going to die... Well it kind of worked here too with some lag.

And these Japanese people... Finding the ark and the ten commandments and not even really caring when one breaks... Pretty incredible how they even managed to keep such an enormous find a secret without killing all of immediately.
Sep 12, 2014 2:12 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, I regret my words from my previous episode thoughts on how it was so bad, but this episode, was phenomenon then the previous ones. It's like the professor is the anti-hero on the show, and his goals was explained thoroughly. Damn his backstory was so tragic, good thing he got his revenge. But he still continues with his goals.

IDK if should be rooting for the villains now, or heroes trying to stop the Professors plan, but I can't wait to see what the last two episodes will look like.

Sep 12, 2014 2:21 PM

Dec 2008
Aww that backstory :(
Sep 12, 2014 3:42 PM

Feb 2014
Finally we know about their backstory! Now I don't hate that guy as much as I used to, but I still think that he isn't doing the right thing.
Sep 12, 2014 3:44 PM

Feb 2014
...Am I the only one who thinks that this anime is pretty...bad?
Sep 12, 2014 4:02 PM

Feb 2013
SirloinDrop said:

same

I have no idea how Rinka and friends are going to topple the extremely powerful Professor and his cronies at this point. I mean what can they do that's short of a colossal ass-yoink at this point? And in 2 episodes no less
gedataFeb 8, 2015 2:02 PM
Sep 12, 2014 4:39 PM

Dec 2013
I really loved the professor's backstory. Looking forward to next week.
Sep 12, 2014 5:02 PM

May 2013
Nothing quite says "I want to avenge my sweet, loving wife who was killed by murderous amoral assholes" like murdering a school full of innocent children.
Sep 12, 2014 5:28 PM

Feb 2014
gedata said:
SirloinDrop said:

same

I have no idea how Rinka and friends are going to topple the extremely pwoeful Professor and his cronies at this point. I mean what can they do that's short of a colossal ass-yoink at this point? And in 2 episodes no less

That's not my problem with it. The sloppy animation, the characters most of the time, the... "romance" between Rinka and what's-his-name... I don't know, everything feels like it COULD be good but... maybe the animation studio just didn't care, I haven't read the manga, so I can't know who's to blame, but as it is I can't say that watching this is worth the while.
Sep 12, 2014 6:28 PM

Aug 2013
gedata said:
SirloinDrop said:

same

I have no idea how Rinka and friends are going to topple the extremely pwoeful Professor and his cronies at this point. I mean what can they do that's short of a colossal ass-yoink at this point? And in 2 episodes no less

Never underestimate the power of friendship and a well-timed speech about perseverance and determination.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 12, 2014 6:33 PM

Sep 2013
The professos backstory has now clear up most of my confusion and it made this episode very interesting!

Rinka walks around depressed and gets captured without even seeing them surround her (come on Rinka, really...)

Asuma is stillllll trapped on that island

Overall, great episode, looking forward to the next one!

Sep 12, 2014 7:47 PM

May 2010
xchee said:
gedata said:

same

Never underestimate the power of friendship and a well-timed speech about perseverance and determination.

Power of friendship is overused and crap imo, next two episodes probably wont even wrap to the beginning either.
Sep 12, 2014 9:01 PM

Apr 2013
episode was decent, but last episode ruined pretty much the entire series.

unless rinka gets pumped full of several of these fish, just getting her power back won't suddenly make her strong enough to fight anyone, with additional training ok maybe, but not stuck in a prison without her power
Sep 12, 2014 9:52 PM

Oct 2011
Professor past was sad. Always the healers to die T__________T
Sep 12, 2014 9:53 PM

Oct 2012
I'm glad because this is one of the few times that I truly find an antagonist's backstory to be reasonably dramatic. It's a valid reason and not some random thought for why an antagonist should be antagonizing, but aw man, those feels with Seira, gosh darn it, I liked her and Kyotaro's parents... I might actually want the Professor to get his revenge before Rinka comes back

Kinda sad that there wasn't more Rinka this episode but oh well, two episodes to go~

I might just read the manga too XD
"If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick."
- Oreki Houtarou
Sep 12, 2014 11:30 PM
Mar 2012
The tears this episode QQ
Sep 13, 2014 12:57 AM

Aug 2013
The protagonists are not going well in recent episodes, I want to see how they will escape from this situation, after all the anime is in the final stretch ..
Sep 13, 2014 1:16 AM

May 2013
What a nice backstory from the Professor. That is a kind of back story I want from antagonists.

Man, I hope Rinka will do something in the next episode. I think the last two episodes will be rushed or I may be wrong :/
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 13, 2014 1:28 AM

Nov 2013
That was actually some really nice, sad backstory for the professor. That part when his wife healed him but couldn't get to the wrinkles was especially strong.
Sep 13, 2014 1:46 AM
Oct 2013
Hell of an episode, best one so far.
The professors Backstory was the best, so much feels~ also that Ark of the Covenant, i was amazed.. Maybe Moses was an ESP user, too? lol

I hope that Azuma-san will join Hinami and the Professor, that will make things 100% more interesting.

Also, i'm still interested in the thing the professor told Hinami a few episodes ago.. what was it?...

Cant wait for the next Episode! Hopefully they will wrap things up in 2 episodes successfully.
Sep 13, 2014 1:50 AM

Jun 2014
Another bleh episode. The show is just slowly tanking. It started off so good, and now i have to force myself to watch each episode. What a let down.

Moridin17 said:
Nothing quite says "I want to avenge my sweet, loving wife who was killed by murderous amoral assholes" like murdering a school full of innocent children.

Exactly what I'm thinking. I'm so disappointed in this show.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Sep 13, 2014 2:31 AM

Jan 2011
No.
This show started off as a total shiet, but now it's quite interesting at least (I don't why tho)

8/10 episode, one of the best from ESP
Sep 13, 2014 2:33 AM

Feb 2008
An anti-hero is a protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure, as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action or purpose, and the like. The professor is not an anti-hero, in fact I would not even call him an anti-villain.

Yes his backstory is depressing but his current actions completely supersede his backstory. Yes it's painful that he lost his wife and friends, while being betrayed by his country. So I am okay with him getting revenge on the people who betrayed him and his team, but not killing a massive amount of innocent people who had nothing to do with it.

However, turning your daughter into a monster, and recruiting psychopaths with the intent of murdering all non-espers in order to form some new order to justify your obvious god complex is complete unjustifiable bull shit.
Sep 13, 2014 4:43 AM

Jun 2013
well so that's why the professor is doing all this
Sep 13, 2014 5:56 AM
Jan 2014
This was the best episode thus far, which isn't saying much unfortunately. It didn't feel as rushed as the rest of the anime. Though I feel like they're going to rush the last episodes of the first arc tremendously.

Anyway, Hokusai's backstory was very tragic but it still doesn't justify his actions. No matter the cause, killing a lot more innocent people only adds to the problem.

I kinda felt sorry for Rinka in the beginning of the episode. I'm glad she's at least not your typical OP archetype. Quite boring at times, but refreshing at the same time. I find her relationship with Kyoutarou to be very superficial though.
Sep 13, 2014 7:07 AM

Apr 2010
gedata said:
SirloinDrop said:

same

This is anime, you're always an ep or so away from a ridiculous asspull in an anime as bad as this.
Sep 13, 2014 11:30 AM
Feb 2013
Oh it the professor's backstory.

Too bad Rinka got captured by the guy from "With Paris With Love."
Sep 13, 2014 5:06 PM

Jul 2012
They need to rescue peggy. He is the star of the show.

Great episode!!!
Sep 13, 2014 5:17 PM

Jul 2013
well finally we got some backstory on the professor... however this is pretty bad, comparing with ga-rei zero
Sep 13, 2014 6:30 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, nice flashback giving the villains motives.
Sep 13, 2014 7:15 PM

Mar 2013
Lol the professor summons Titans!

It was an OK episode but it was a bit too predictable.

Rinka get stronger girl, get some new powers.
Sep 14, 2014 1:08 AM

Dec 2011
I used to like Professor since the start of the first episode... now that we know his motive, he is exactly my favorite character of the series. A great anti-hero. That was so tragic. I kind of root to him now to get his sweet revenge to the higher ups who killed his colleagues.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 14, 2014 2:54 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Fiji said:
I used to like Professor since the start of the first episode... now that we know his motive, he is exactly my favorite character of the series. A great anti-hero. That was so tragic. I kind of root to him now to get his sweet revenge to the higher ups who killed his colleagues.

What? Facepalm. I don't think he fits the description of an anti-hero. Sure, he tries to fight against the "evil council" but that doesn't excuse what he did. He could have achieved his goals without purposely going to kill indiscriminately.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 14, 2014 4:56 AM

Feb 2014
wakka9ca said:
Fiji said:

What? Facepalm. I don't think he fits the description of an anti-hero. Sure, he tries to fight against the "evil council" but that doesn't excuse what he did. He could have achieved his goals without purposely going to kill indiscriminately.

Understandable characters with reasonable motives? What do you think this is, a good anime?
Sep 14, 2014 7:41 AM

May 2013
I completely understand the Professors reasons for doing all this. Can't trust people, even the higher-ups. I feel bad for Kyoutarou's parent and for the Professor's wife. They should receive the justice they deserve. That 'ringleader' the professor was talking about boosted my curiosity.
Sep 14, 2014 7:50 AM

May 2012
This episode was so great. Liked the professor's backstory.

The anime deserve much more than 7.09
Sep 14, 2014 9:05 AM

Nov 2013
Wasn't too bad. Some feels this episode here and there. Poor Peggy though, can't stand having him locked up like that; Peggy is too awesome to be locked up.

One of the better episodes, and the first good one in a while. Still rushed but whatever. 4/5
Sep 14, 2014 10:06 AM

Apr 2013
So finally some backstory, anime seemed way to blank without it.
Sep 14, 2014 12:33 PM
Jul 2008
Spike_Terra said:
An anti-hero is a protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure, as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action or purpose, and the like. The professor is not an anti-hero, in fact I would not even call him an anti-villain.

Yes his backstory is depressing but his current actions completely supersede his backstory. Yes it's painful that he lost his wife and friends, while being betrayed by his country. So I am okay with him getting revenge on the people who betrayed him and his team, but not killing a massive amount of innocent people who had nothing to do with it.

However, turning your daughter into a monster, and recruiting psychopaths with the intent of murdering all non-espers in order to form some new order to justify your obvious god complex is complete unjustifiable bull shit.

My thoughts throughout this episode. Sorry, Professor. Random, senseless slaughter =/= revenge.
I don't make sense; I make nonsense!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Revenant_ - Jul 18, 2014

183 by doliwaq »»
Nov 1, 2023 3:30 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2014

83 by Kristiwazhere »»
Aug 27, 2023 2:18 AM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 11, 2014

328 by Kristiwazhere »»
Aug 25, 2023 6:50 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2014

66 by PKAmmoTroop »»
Nov 29, 2021 3:27 PM

Poll: » Tokyo ESP Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

-Karoshi- - Aug 1, 2014

107 by PKAmmoTroop »»
Nov 24, 2021 6:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.