Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 2, 2014 5:45 PM

Dec 2012
Well Sinon finally knows Kirito's a male, didn't expect her to react that way. Guess she's a little more girly than I thought.

Who's the creep in the mask? From SAO? Ah, cliffhangers.
Kirito was awesome, love the sword and the sounds it made *_*
Aug 2, 2014 5:54 PM

Nov 2013
best episode yet.

that was one intense confrontation!
Aug 2, 2014 5:58 PM

May 2013
Me nitpicking: Isn't conflict for the sake of conflict just awesome? If he says sorry and reveals he is infact male then he could've also done it way, way sooner. It's not like you can drag your other equipment into the slot, immidiatly changing it instead of taking the other equipment for no reason off first (they even did that in the first 2 seasons)... but hey, just don't think about it too much.

That's just bad writing: Mayor probs to Sinon, though, for not noticing that it still said "MALE" in big letters on the registration screen under his name which was still visiable even after he accepted it and she even looked at it... -_- (dem awareness skillz as sniper)

rothrock said:
Who's the creep in the mask? From SAO? Ah, cliffhangers.

Death Gun from the first episode? The whole reason he is there?
The symbol on his arm is from the "Laughing Coffin" PK (player killer) guild he encountered in SAO.
DancingJackAug 2, 2014 6:02 PM
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
Aug 2, 2014 6:00 PM

Jul 2011
Good to see more combat in this episode. Was really good.

Still the best part was learning Death Gun was also from SAO and he was a part of Laughing Coffin. I remember seeing someone from that group looking at Kirito in one episode, but it never went anywhere. Same thing with the whole PK group. Not much screen time with those guys.

That was just a good twist. Can't wait to see what happens next.
Aug 2, 2014 6:03 PM

Jul 2014
Korsak said:
markymark1121 said:
So even specific skills transfer between Seed games? whut

Wrong. Kirito used the sword skill from SAO, but it wasn't done with game helping. In SAO you only had to start motion for sword skill the rest was done by the system. Here Kirito did everything by himself without help from the game. The same thing happened in ALO but it wasn't as visible like Here.
PS. Sorry for bad English it's not my main language. And it's hard to write comment on the Phone. Why they hadn't implemented Tapatalk yet... T.T
Oh I did not know that. No wonder kirito was pretty tired at the end of the match with Uemaru.
Aug 2, 2014 6:03 PM

Mar 2009
I think Asuna is Death Gun.
Aug 2, 2014 6:12 PM

Jun 2014

Now kids, don't give people your personal information such as your phone number and address across an online game.

>Already told Sinon hes actually a guy.
#worst trap ever.
Just cut your f***ing hair with the lightsaber already.
Aug 2, 2014 6:19 PM

May 2013
How is taking anyone the bad guy actually serious? I mean, he wears a black skull mask, talks in a Darth Vader voice and calls himself "Death Gun". You play a online game, so you have to think that it's not all too serious and that behind every avatar sits a "normal" human being.

My reacton in Kirito's place would've been: "Hahaha, did you buy that mask in the item shop? You look like a cosplayer."
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
Aug 2, 2014 6:23 PM

Jul 2013
that was a pretty baller episode. animation and action were great. the comedy was good when sinon found out about kiritos gender. and that last scene was so tense i love it
Aug 2, 2014 6:26 PM

Oct 2012
Kirito is some kind of jedi master
Aug 2, 2014 6:31 PM

Nov 2013
There was comedy in this episode?

Anyways decent action, and the light saber sounds is lol.
Aug 2, 2014 6:34 PM

Oct 2013
Man, this ending made me tense x___x
Aug 2, 2014 6:48 PM

Dec 2013
Mormegil said:
I think Asuna is Death Gun.

In a more serious note though, SAO II is on a roll! it just keeps getting better and better. I didn't expect Death Gun to just show up like that, and even less that he would be a member of Laughin Coffin.

Until we got: Decent storyline, Very good animation, Great OST, Good chars.

Overall, i'm having a lot of fun watching this, let's hope it keeps up like this and doesn't go downhill in the 2nd half, 5/5
PriestSlayerAug 2, 2014 7:02 PM
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 2, 2014 6:57 PM

Aug 2013
skullcruncher said:
Damn. SAO just keeps getting better and better. I wonder how long they can keep this up. It's on a roll right now!!! I wonder if the fact that kirito isn't eligible for the top ranking prizes gonna bite him in the butt later on.

Kirito didn't want to add his real life information like his address and such because other people can see on the screen so basically people will know where he lives and his personal details.
Aug 2, 2014 7:07 PM

Aug 2013
hyperknees91 said:
AzureAlert said:

I think you're missing the point of the entire anime...

I get the author is very childish about certain things in an attempt to make fanservice.

Is it your first time watching anime?
Aug 2, 2014 7:11 PM

Jul 2010
Real life info to get the top ranking prizes!
Kirito having to show Sinon that he is a male as she was changing and he would have to change too!
Sinon being mad and slapping Kirito xD
The sound effects of the sword and the looks of it... if only it can ricochet the bullets too!
Death Gun being a player of SAO!
Aug 2, 2014 7:14 PM

Mar 2013
I wonder if LucasArts will sue creators of this show for stealing lightsabers
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Aug 2, 2014 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
Symqn said:
WoW something happened finally after 5 eps maybe he will wake up now

i been ResidentSleeper-ing too till now first episode i sorta liked still couldn't get star wars out of my head watching that last scene hell death gun was even heavy breathing like darth lol

and do you even feel pain i would had to be that guy that lost he was yelling non stop as his insides were melting!
Aug 2, 2014 7:18 PM
Jul 2014
I'm so pissed off at Gun Gale Online Episode 5 that whole "Mystery Death Gun" person gets revealed right off the bat of the new season... They messed up sooooooooooooooo much right there. I was hoping they would reveal that person in the end. :((((
Aug 2, 2014 7:18 PM

Feb 2014
Best episode so far !
Aug 2, 2014 7:21 PM

Dec 2013
SayTitus said:
I'm so pissed off at Gun Gale Online Episode 5 that whole "Mystery Death Gun" person gets revealed right off the bat of the new season... They messed up sooooooooooooooo much right there. I was hoping they would reveal that person in the end. :((((
They didn't reveal the person, they revealed that's someone from Laughin Coffin, that already met Kirito and Kirito also met him/her in SAO

I swear to god that wasn't supposed to sound that sarcastic
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Aug 2, 2014 7:26 PM
Jul 2018
i hope there are other players using lightsabers, it'll make a nice battle.
Aug 2, 2014 7:30 PM
Nov 2012
hyperknees91 said:
But he does this constantly. He did it in season 1 when Kirito didn't want to use NPC's as bait, because of "reasons". He did it in season 2 when he used Kirito to explain how your actions in game show how you really are (which would mean he thinks that video games do support violent behavior).

He hasn't given us any good reason on "Why" we should take this so called virtual world like its real life other than "just because". In season 1 it's mildly justified because they have the consequence of death, but that only applies with the aspect of fighting monsters.

I already gave you the .hack example though, should speak for itself. The reason no one comments on the kinds of clothing they wear in general (I'm sure Suguha would not wear lyfa's outfit in real life) is because the players are aware it's a game, so certain things need not to be taken so seriously. Yet they will oddly take other things seriously. For example combat in this game, is taken just as seriously as SAO, even though there is no fear of death. Which is rather jarring if you ask me.

You can express criticism back, but insults are not criticism. Keep it discussion level friend.

In regards to why she would feel embarrassed at being seen nude, I think there is a pretty obvious and reasonable reason. Consider the fact that this is a virtual reality where all senses are emulated. That means you truly feel as if the avatar is your body in that when undressed, you really feel undressed. Now, even if you know that what people see is not yourself, this is not something very prevalent on the mind of someone looking out the eyes of their body in first person. The player will identify with the body and consider it their own (honestly, mirrors in that game must be so horrible when it comes to immersion) and being seen nude would obviously result in realistic reactions.

As for why a fanservice scene was needed in the first place... Well thats a question for all of them. At least this one served the purpose of the misunderstanding of his gender being resolved + as a reason for sinon to be less friendly with him for a while.

And to address some questions I have seen posted by others:

For those who wonder about kirito hearing that guy and attributing it to a super-hearing skill from SAO alternativelly a plot hole... It was properly explained in the light novels as an "outside-system skill", which is what skills dependant on the limitations (or sometimes lack thereof) of the VR-system is called. To quote the light novel for the fight we saw this episode:

The wind continued to blow. At this moment, I tried my best to eliminate the noisy sound effects from my consciousness and concentrated on the rustling of the swaying grassland to hear for some irregular sound in this system.

This was a skill that could only be done in a VR space where I can isolate each sound completely. From the time of SAO, this «Outside-system Skill» helped me out a lot. For example, an S level ingredient «Ragout Rabbit» would require this skill to deal a fatal blow.

Another of those "skills" is the reaction-speed that kirito has. While it is true that it is faster than any other comparable player (after all, he was given the dual-blades skill in SAO because the game measured his to be the fastest among all the players there), part of the reason is that prolonged exposure to the VR-environment results (according to the SAO-lore) in what seems to be faster reaction speed.
If I remember correctly it had to do with how a localized system in the nervegear that is used together with the server to decide the actual outcome. Think it was for nullifying disrepancies between the avatars movements and how the player expects their body to move. The brain can sometimes override this system to a certain extent, causing some movements to be faster than they should be. I dont remember where I read this part though. It does however explain why kirito is able to play Jedi with the photonblade.
In a later arc called Mothers Rosario

I dont really consider the following a spoiler, but I wrapped it in tags anyway since it is regarding the future.
fehaAug 2, 2014 7:34 PM
Aug 2, 2014 7:50 PM

Nov 2013
Great time to tell her you're a guy, Kirito. It might have been an inopportune moment for Sinon to find out, but I still really hate how they have to drive home the "hates men" aspect of her character. It's clear that she was much friendlier to Kirito he was a girl than she was to all the other guys in her party (in episode 2) or to him after she found out. Of course, being Kirito, he's probably gonna win her over pretty soon anyways but the phase where she has to give him the cold shoulder just because he's a man annoys me.

Other than that, the lightsaber (and sounds copied directly from Star Wars) was pretty cool and the return of the Laughing Coffin was a nice twist. I hope we get more of the backstory behind them.
Aug 2, 2014 7:57 PM

Aug 2013
Oh shit! Desu gun going frontal approach all the way! Don't do it Desu-kun! It never work at the bar when I go to some girls and whisper in their ear ''Do I know you?''...

More seriously, it was a good episode, the best so far IMO. I find it interesting that he's suspecting Sinon to be Death Gun. He will probably start to suspect the real Death Gun himself too, but at the same time, to him, he's only a survivor of SAO that was part of the PK gang.

Oh damn, Kirito gender revelation was really funny. I never expected it to happen so soon, so it was great.

Kirito pulling out is Jedi OP skill. dat mlg noscope...
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Aug 2, 2014 7:58 PM

Oct 2013
xxdeathx said:
Great time to tell her you're a guy, Kirito. It might have been an inopportune moment for Sinon to find out, but I still really hate how they have to drive home the "hates men" aspect of her character. It's clear that she was much friendlier to Kirito he was a girl than she was to all the other guys in her party (in episode 2) or to him after she found out. Of course, being Kirito, he's probably gonna win her over pretty soon anyways but the phase where she has to give him the cold shoulder just because he's a man annoys me.

I'm pretty sure a girl will be mad when a guy sees her in her underwear while pretending to be a girl.
Aug 2, 2014 8:03 PM
Nov 2012
minouneetzoe said:
Oh shit! Desu gun going frontal approach all the way! Don't do it Desu-kun! It never work at the bar when I go to some girls and whisper in their ear ''Do I know you?''...

Asking a random girl "Are you the real thing?" would probably just result in the girl think you are accusing her of either being a transvestite or having fake boobs...
So your current tactic is probably better unless you, like Death Gun, truly want to know if trap-kirito is male or female.
Aug 2, 2014 8:13 PM
Jul 2014
Why did Sinon get so hostile towards Kirito after finding out he is male IRL?
Aug 2, 2014 8:21 PM

Sep 2011
Good, this just keeps getting better and better. In season 1 it was much irregular for me in the first five episodes.

The cat's already out of the bag(DAT Sinon reaction), Kirito wins the first match and meets Death Gun. Who is a member of that PK guild in SAO. That was unexpected, but nice. Maybe it will continue to show up in the next seasons(if not destroyed in this one).

Well, or maybe that's just me wrongly assuming that said guild is something that did not end with the first game.
Aug 2, 2014 8:22 PM

Jan 2011
While the locker room scene may be unncessary (though what exactly is necesary is questionable, and it did serve a point), i don't get why it's questionable that people would do that.

MMOs strife to emulate real life. Obviously not in all aspects, otherwise you wouldn't need to play an MMO, but overall mechanics, yes. Heck, all games are getting closer and closer. You can not really undress in games yet because clothing is extremely hard to do right. We can not even freely put on a hat yet, and stuff like shirts or trousers are in a complete different league. I bet there are internal demos with reduced graphics/just the model or even only wireframe that play around with that though.

Then we have VR, which is kinda be self-describing. Virtual Reality. Again, if it would be exactly like reality, there would be no point, but it should feel like it *could* be real.

There are other games like Black & White or From Dust that use mouse gestures to use spells etc., so you do not have to use buttons etc., some games use voice commands, there are experiments with controlling games with your brain. Or take the Wii, or Kinect etc. Lots of technology to make games work more like real life.

With the technology shown in SAO, it should be possible to get rid of a user interface completely - after all, fighting already works completely without (besides the health bar, but damage is also displayed on the model itself). It's probably because the author didn't think it through completely, didn't want it to be *too* strange from today's systems. In universe, iit could be a left over from older system (e.g., what we have today). For most things that we can not do on our own without a computer, a UI is obviously more convenient or even required.

And all this effort, and then you simply switch between casual and combat outfit on the fly? Long story short: The locker room scene made sense, including the reaction.
Aug 2, 2014 8:27 PM

Oct 2013
CrimBlacklotus said:

Because he tricked her into believing that he's a girl.
Aug 2, 2014 8:36 PM
Jul 2014
-Riptide- said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

He didn't really trick her though....

She just thought that he was a chick.
Aug 2, 2014 8:40 PM

Aug 2013
Ooh didn't think I'd get it right. When Kirito commented about having met Death Gun in the past, the image of the Laughing Coffin guys popped in my mind. Insignificant achievement for the day completed :D

I don't trust Sinon's friend. The nice and weak looking guys are almost always hiding something sinister.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Aug 2, 2014 8:40 PM

Oct 2013
CrimBlacklotus said:
-Riptide- said:

Let me rephrase that. Kirito let her believe that he was a girl. Remember last ep when Kirito acted all girly to enforce his identity as a girl to Sinon.
Aug 2, 2014 8:45 PM
Jul 2014
-Riptide- said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

Let me rephrase that. Kirito let her believe that he was a girl. Remember last ep when Kirito acted all girly to enforce his identity as a girl to Sinon.

So what? It is a MMORPG, so doing something that would act "out of character" isn't uncommon. There is nothing in my opinion that would warrant her hostility towards Kirito.

Kirito was just having fun. He didn't necessarily state that he was a female so I also don't fault him.

I kind of don't like Sinon now after seeing how she acted towards Kirito in this episode.
Aug 2, 2014 8:47 PM
Oct 2010
CrimBlacklotus said:
-Riptide- said:

No he definitely tricked her, he even said that she might think he was some weird dude if he didn't pretend to be a girl. The reason she got hostile is because he was leading her on that whole time and on top of it saw her in her underwear, which I assume is a problem because the your avatars are built off of your RL body structure information (or so I was told).
Aug 2, 2014 8:47 PM

May 2013
Lol, Sinon found out Trapito is actually a guy! Awkward...
At least Kirito's pretty funny when teasing Sinon in front of Spiegel.

So first match and Kirito uses his tracking skill and his bullet-deflecting lightsaber to win.
But the thing is, after the match, Kirito meets Darth Vader, or most commonly known as Death Gun.
And Death Gun happens to be a member of the Laughing Coffin, meaning he's an SAO survivor.
Watch out, Kirito. Death Gun got skillz.
I’m always searching for something, for someone. This feeling has possessed me I think, from that day… That day when the stars came falling.
Aug 2, 2014 8:49 PM

Oct 2013
CrimBlacklotus said:
-Riptide- said:

So what? It is a MMORPG, so doing something that would act "out of character" isn't uncommon. There is nothing in my opinion that would warrant her hostility towards Kirito.

Kirito was just having fun. He didn't necessarily state that he was a female so I also don't fault him.

Sinon isn't particularly friendly towards guys right? Remember in ep 2 that she doesn't even join the conversation of her group. The only reason Sinon became friendly to Kirito because she thought he was a girl and girls playing GGO are rare. And Kirito knew that Sinon thinks he's a girl. He used that to make Sinon help her with getting used to GGO.
Aug 2, 2014 8:52 PM

Oct 2013
-Riptide- said:
xxdeathx said:

I'm pretty sure a girl will be mad when a guy sees her in her underwear while pretending to be a girl.

What is there to be mad about? It's not her real self.
Aug 2, 2014 9:09 PM
Jul 2014
-Riptide- said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

Sinon isn't particularly friendly towards guys right? Remember in ep 2 that she doesn't even join the conversation of her group. The only reason Sinon became friendly to Kirito because she thought he was a girl and girls playing GGO are rare. And Kirito knew that Sinon thinks he's a girl. He used that to make Sinon help her with getting used to GGO.

Kirito doesn't know that Sinon is uncomfortable with guys. He just thought that maybe in general, he would use his Avatar as an advantage.

Disclosing anything personally to someone in an MMORPG is usually a taboo unless you got to know them a bit.

Kirito and Sinon don't know anything about each other. If I am playing a MMORPG and suddenly say things that most people generally don't care like: .. "hey I am 17 years old" while my party is fighting monsters, most people would probably react with: "lol ok" or something to that extent.

IT wasn't unreasonable for Kirito to not disclose any information IRL to Sinon.
Aug 2, 2014 9:13 PM

Aug 2008
Good episode. Didn't expect Death Gun to be a SAO survivor and a Laughing Coffin member as well.

I admit,I am not a big fan of SAO but this is the very few times in SAO I look forward to watch the next episode.
But it's important to remember that a movie review is subjective;it only gives you one person's opinion.

http://www.classzone.com/books/lnetwork_gr08/page_build.cfm?content=analyz_media&ch=30

It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.If elitist don't exist, casual pleb and shit taste also don't exist.
Aug 2, 2014 9:18 PM

Oct 2013
CrimBlacklotus said:
-Riptide- said:

Kirito doesn't know that Sinon is uncomfortable with guys. He just thought that maybe in general, he would use his Avatar as an advantage.

Disclosing anything personally to someone in an MMORPG is usually a taboo unless you got to know them a bit.

Kirito and Sinon don't know anything about each other. If I am playing a MMORPG and suddenly say things that most people generally don't care like: .. "hey I am 17 years old" while my party is fighting monsters, most people would probably react with: "lol ok" or something to that extent.

Wait we're getting a bit off topic here. We were arguing why Sinon was mad. Not whether what Kirito did was right or wrong. So since Sinon doesn't socialize with guys except for Spiegel, of course she would be mad that a girl she just met turned out to be a guy that took advantage of her misunderstanding Kirito's gender.
Aug 2, 2014 9:19 PM

Oct 2013
I still can't get over his name lol: Desu Gun/Death Gun
Aug 2, 2014 9:21 PM
Jul 2014
-Riptide- said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

Wait we're getting a bit off topic here. We were arguing why Sinon was mad. Not whether what Kirito did was right or wrong. So since Sinon doesn't socialize with guys except for Spiegel, of course she would be mad that a girl she just met turned out to be a guy that took advantage of her misunderstanding Kirito's gender.

I am just discussing whether it was reasonable for Sinon to be so hostile after Kirito revealed to her. It would be reasonable to be shock a bit, but being a dick afterwards was unwarranted.
Aug 2, 2014 9:38 PM

Oct 2013
CrimBlacklotus said:
-Riptide- said:

I am just discussing whether it was reasonable for Sinon to be so hostile after Kirito revealed to her. It would be reasonable to be shock a bit, but being a dick afterwards was unwarranted.

Kirito is a guy. Sinon isn't friendly with guys. Hence her being cold to Kirito.
Aug 2, 2014 9:45 PM
Jul 2014
-Riptide- said:
CrimBlacklotus said:

Kirito is a guy. Sinon isn't friendly with guys. Hence her being cold to Kirito.

Oh I know. I was told earlier.

I was just stating that it was unreasonable and unwarranted that was a dick to Kirito after finding out he is a guy.
Aug 2, 2014 10:00 PM
Jul 2014
love it, i was really waiting for some action scene.
When Death Gun appear i thought, now the shit is gonna happen!
cant wait for the next episode!
Aug 2, 2014 10:31 PM

Jan 2014
cmon Kirito, provoke him more...
Aug 2, 2014 10:35 PM
Jun 2014
not putting his real information probably made kirito immune to death gun so im guessing the conflict will be him saving sinon in real life from death gun and discovering who he is
Aug 2, 2014 10:39 PM

Apr 2012
i hope Sinon doesn't become another damsel in distress like Asuna. Then suddenly falling in love with him b/c he saved her hide.

Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

-Karoshi- - Dec 20, 2014

618 by MinaseNagi »»
Apr 17, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 26, 2014

958 by maki_evergarden »»
Mar 17, 9:33 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Oct 25, 2014

289 by erixqh »»
Feb 22, 12:26 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online II Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 12, 2014

762 by minu11 »»
Jan 26, 5:10 AM

» While you're watching Season 2

Bijou146 - Jan 14

23 by katnissmaezie »»
Jan 24, 11:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.