Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »
Jul 21, 2014 10:07 AM

Jul 2009
This year shoujo animes are really good! Last season we had Isshuukan Friends that was one of my favorites of the season, now we have Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun that is cool too and another master piece that might be my favorite that is Ao Haru Ride...
Futaba changed a lot to be able to fit in a group, I hope she quit the act and be herself again.
Jul 22, 2014 12:58 AM
Feb 2013
Can anyone tell me what's the name of the insert song when both of them confessed?
It was really great.
Jul 22, 2014 12:13 PM

Jan 2013
This is such a refreshing anime! Typical setting but the characters are much more relatable and interesting. I really liked the song they used in the opening scene; the OST sounds like it's gonna be great.

Kaji Yuki as MC is well casted. I didn't recognize Uchida Maaya but she did Rikka, Hajime, and Mao.

HorribleSubs was right...this is looking like an unforgettable season. This is why I watch anime.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Jul 23, 2014 11:56 AM

Aug 2007
This is my first shoji that I am watching in a while. Looks good, with a calm atmosphere and a girl like hate guys.
Jul 23, 2014 1:37 PM

Aug 2010
OMGGGG my baby~ I have been a fan of this manga since the first few chapters, and I was so excited to hear it was getting animated!!! Maybe because of that, I have quite high expectations of this series lol hopefully they wont let me down~

I suppose that was a pretty good start, the background was really nice and the music fits the mood as well. And I loveeeeee the seiyuu for the Kou!!! Totally suits him! I have to say, as of now, not so of Futaba's...

Is it just me or sometimes the animation of the characters' movement seems a bit off?? But again that's not a minor thing... Love how the characters' looks does not differ that much from the manga!!!
Jul 23, 2014 1:47 PM

Jun 2007
Man. This was horrible. The writing is just so bad, the story is just so empty, the characters are so nonexistent... Who the hell watches this and gives it higher than 2 stars? 11 year old little girls?
Jul 26, 2014 6:22 PM
Jul 2013
Great anime and awesome first episode XD
Jul 28, 2014 4:22 PM

Apr 2014
Great animation and style. It's weird watching this after Nozaki-kun, though. I keep wondering what the male version of Futaba would be like.

The mangaka's open mouths creep the hell out of me. Can be grateful I.G. fixed the eye issues -- those two things were my least favorite thing from following her earlier work, Strobe Edge.
Aug 2, 2014 10:59 AM
Jan 2010
tanaka kun is a total chuuni
Aug 7, 2014 8:30 PM

Aug 2014
I wasn't sure if this anime was going to be good to watch but when i finished seeing the first episode i was already in love with this anime!!!
MALoween Mansion 2017

Main Candies:

Kabo-chan's Candies:

Aug 11, 2014 7:21 PM

May 2012
what was that song inserted during the confession at the shine
“They stood together in a false intimacy, a nervous contact. And he was in love with her.”
― D.H. Lawrence, Women in Love

Aug 11, 2014 9:25 PM

Dec 2012
What did I just watch? This anime is based on an unprecedented love with no meaning. I already watched the first episode twice and I can't go on anymore. Dropping this anime for the second time. I don't understand how people can like this; it's so empty. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Got that?
Aug 26, 2014 8:51 AM

Oct 2013
omg, I'm already in love. So beautiful, so charming, so... ;-; feelsy.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Aug 29, 2014 9:50 PM
May 2011
Reminds me of kimi ni todoke. I think im going to enjoy this anime
Aug 30, 2014 12:41 PM

Jan 2011
Not sure why, but I liked this although not much happened. ヽ(゚Д゚)ノ
Good show to just watch without thinking too much.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Sep 9, 2014 7:54 AM

May 2014
So that's how a shoujo anime is like ... interesting.

MasterMeNL said:
Good show to just watch without thinking too much.
Yeah ... it fits perfectly after Bakemonogatari :))
Sep 22, 2014 3:07 PM

Jan 2014
I'm glad that I picked this show. I haven't seen a good start in anime in quite a while.
Recommend me an anime
Sep 27, 2014 9:14 AM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Mabuchi-kun's words cut pretty deep, haha.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Sep 30, 2014 8:11 PM
Jul 2014
Not bad, can definitely sense some drama coming up. I like the atmosphere though.
Sep 30, 2014 9:30 PM

Sep 2011
Probably one of the best first episode setups for a romance anime I have ever seen! Great stuff!
Oct 3, 2014 3:03 AM

Jul 2013
Very impressed by the first episode. This had been one of my highly anticipated romance anime and it's living up to my expectation so far.

I really want to see how their relationship develops. Will tanaka bring her out of the "I'm going to be like this so everyone likes me" act.

And I'm also interested to understand a bit more a bot tanakas character and why he acts the way he do.

But solid episode, it was really sweet and introduced the main characters very well.
Oct 8, 2014 10:46 AM

Jul 2013
I'm a little late, but I'm glad that I picked this! Great start, and Futaba is cuuuuuuuuuuuuute-oh!
Nov 1, 2014 5:30 AM
May 2012
What?!?! Fuck that shit, man!! Why can't you both love each other now, huh?? Is it because you are kind of an emo now?? =_=
Is that lady vendor deaf or something?? Didn't she hear the other vendor making a fuss??
Anyway, I shall see how this goes. I like the atmosphere and the animation.

Edit: Posts: 3101
Nov 14, 2014 4:20 PM

Jan 2012
So Kaji Yuki is playing the main in a shoujo series, it feels somewhat awkward for me after I heard his many other roles in the past. maa.. I will probably get used to it soon.
Nov 22, 2014 6:57 AM

Jul 2014
I really love this manga!!! So was really looking forward to the anime!!! I'm so excited! One of the best shoujo manga's ever , in my opinion xD
Nov 27, 2014 4:18 PM

Jul 2013
animation looks solid. the only thing felt fast pace? not a bad complain but just saying
Feb 2, 2015 12:13 PM

Aug 2013
It seems to be well adopted.
I can finally watch it (I'm buying official Polish manga release - last released volume = 6th... And if it is officially released in my country, then I don't want to read it online... Yes I love collecting mangas).
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Mar 1, 2015 9:06 AM

Oct 2013
Very nice 1st episode. I liked it. I'm excited to see the rest :)
Mar 14, 2015 12:58 AM

Sep 2012
"We can't go back...to those days"

You mean, the ONE day you had like, a brief and awkward 30 second conversation? What?

Eating is unattractive? What? The lady who accused her of stealing made such an uproar that it attracted the attention of everybody in that hallway.. except for the lady she paid who was standing literally 4 feet behind her. What? "Is that all it takes to satisfy you?".. huh? What? "Your friendship is shallow"... huh?

I just... what?

Every other scene is focused on clenching hands, cropping faces out of the frame, wind blowing, focusing on feet about to slowly turn and walk away.. WTF is with all these DRAMATIC cliches? Literally nothing has happened. Nobody has said anything that makes any sense whatsoever.

This is not a good start.
Red_KeysMar 14, 2015 1:01 AM
Apr 27, 2015 6:32 PM

Jul 2013
Nice first episode. So much feelings. I really like the animation and the characters, reminds me a little bit on Kimi ni Todoke.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the show :)

Jun 27, 2015 11:00 PM
Aug 2013
the art was fine i guess, nothing special but still pretty, i like the colors
sound, don't know yet, still the first episode

Kou is so attractive, the end
Jul 15, 2015 1:52 PM

Jul 2010
Liked the first episode but I don't dig Kaji Yuki as Tanaka, idk I like his voice in general but I expected a different kind of voice for Tanaka as character. Ah well I hope I'll get used to it.

It was a really cute introduction, looking forward to see how things will go from here.
Jul 24, 2015 11:50 AM

Apr 2014
Im in weak condition. Body mind and soul. Should I watch this anime.? *cough cough*
Sep 16, 2015 10:21 AM

May 2012
Oh wow what a great start, it's been a while that I've seen a very good start for a romance/slice of life anime! Let's see what this anime will has to offer us!
Nov 7, 2015 1:09 AM

Mar 2012
I like how Mabuchi tells her how it is but could he be any more of a douche? I love how the first lunch lady somehow didn't notice that whole scene going on right next to her. Not a bad episode but pretty cheesy.

Red_Keys said:

You mean, the ONE day you had like, a brief and awkward 30 second conversation? What?

Eating is unattractive? What? The lady who accused her of stealing made such an uproar that it attracted the attention of everybody in that hallway.. except for the lady she paid who was standing literally 4 feet behind her. What? "Is that all it takes to satisfy you?".. huh? What? "Your friendship is shallow"... huh?

I just... what?

Every other scene is focused on clenching hands, cropping faces out of the frame, wind blowing, focusing on feet about to slowly turn and walk away.. WTF is with all these DRAMATIC cliches? Literally nothing has happened. Nobody has said anything that makes any sense whatsoever.

xD
Nov 11, 2015 7:32 AM

May 2015
That dude's an ass. That's all I really have to say. That and the episode was painful to watch.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Dec 29, 2015 1:47 PM

Jan 2015
Good start. But I really felt bad for her when no one stuck up for her but kept talking behind her back ...
May 18, 2016 7:23 PM
Apr 2016
I watched this anime awhile ago, but I wasn't very interested at the time, so I dropped it. I have decided to re-watch because I saw a lot of pins about it on pinterest and the anime seemed like a normal romance/shoujo anime that I would usually watch, so then I decided to re-watch. I can't remember where I left off, so I started from the beginning.

Overall, the episode was rather good. The animations were very good, I liked the raining scene especially. The acting was good, and I liked that the episode went back to where Futuba and Tanaka's relationship started.

One note is that, the one girl Makita looks a lot like Mirai from Beyond the Boundary. I don't know which show came first, and I don't even know if the animators from either show knew that the two characters looked alike. The resemblance just caught my eye for some reason.... Lol
Jun 21, 2016 11:32 AM

Feb 2015
d388 said:
Man. This was horrible. The writing is just so bad, the story is just so empty, the characters are so nonexistent... Who the hell watches this and gives it higher than 2 stars? 11 year old little girls?

THANK YOU. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. i thought i was crazy!

SaiYuris said:
What did I just watch? This anime is based on an unprecedented love with no meaning. I already watched the first episode twice and I can't go on anymore. Dropping this anime for the second time. I don't understand how people can like this; it's so empty. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

because cute love = best love.

Red_Keys said:

I just... what?

best...comment....just pure yes.

--------
not even 10 minutes in and i hate the MC. no matter what romances spout, you cannot know the meaning of true love at only 11 or 12yrs old. and not only that you cannot fall in love at 11-12yrs old IN UNDER A WEEK AND NOT EVEN KNOW EACH OTHER'S NAMES. the only name that was spoken was "tanaka-kun" and we're just supposed to let it fly that she magically knows his name. kou never speaks her name once, but yeah i guess that's supposed to be romantic?

and then there's the jaw dropping (literally, my jaw dropped) stupidity of the MC when she declares she hates boys right in front of kou, watches him walk away, doesn't run up to him and correct herself, and still expects him for the date.

both of them are pathetic to mistake childhood crushes for true love and then proceed to pine over them years later as if it mattered. even if kou has long tossed it the MC certainly hasn't.

and why can't she freaking understand that kou doesn't want to be called tanaka anymore? he was called differently at school and told her that it's not his name anymore?
(wait a minute...if he says he changed his name, then why did that dude call out "tanaka" when we were first introduced to him in high school? you know, the gum scene? major plothole!)

then there's the CRINGEWORTHY bread scene, when this bovine baffoon can't even speak up for herself when she is accused of doing a crime. there was a boy RIGHT NEXT TO HER (literally, on her right) who was so close to the predicament it would be IMPOSSIBLE for him not to see her pay but looks at her as if he was deaf and blind at that moment. but we needed him to be so unbelievably stupid so that the prince charming kou can swoop to the rescue. hands down the worst part of the episode. and to top it all off, she's my most HATED character trait, a tsundere.

and i'm sorry but the character designs are so fugly. and the middle school times, the eyes didn't fit their awkward prepubescent small bodies and made them look even uglier. they kept trying to pass kou off as this super cute boy but that failed just as much as making the girl cute.

this is why i can't stand serious romances. i'm not a really big fan of romance in general, but if i must have it, it has to be romcom. i heard this was really good so i had high hopes, but this is worst than the worst i dreaded. if 99% of the people here are praising it to be such a great romance, i wonder what the BAD ones are.

the art itself is very nice, and the watercolor in the beginning was so beautiful. but i don't like the character designs.

and the one thing i do like about the MC is that she pretends to be this over-the-top woman but is so freaking girly if you look at her room, lol! (but what teenage girl has teddy bears she cuddles with in her room???? i understand 13 or 14, but 15 going on 16???? none that i know.)

side note: i really, really, really, really like kou's voice. i suspect that's kaji's voice, i hear him so often nowadays and once you've grown accustomed to him he gives away his own voice since his acting is so predictable, but not in a bad way. remember i said i really like kou's VC.
TomDayJun 21, 2016 7:17 PM
Jul 4, 2016 10:24 AM

Feb 2013
Oh, I'm hooked. I love this.
Oct 30, 2016 11:55 AM

Aug 2015
It seems to be a little artificial, not real... But, we will see xD I don't get that boy...

Nah, that hiding eyes xD
Jan 3, 2017 8:42 PM

Jun 2016
I decided to watch some shoujo.

just episode 1 and confess? I Likedd this first episode.
Jan 27, 2017 9:09 AM
Jan 2017
My. . . . FEELS

I ship it so fucking much.
●▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬●
Feb 11, 2017 1:28 PM

May 2016
Usually, i don't like shojo but this anime looks great.
Jul 9, 2017 1:30 PM
Nekogirl~

Mar 2014
i like the arts, but the story didnt get me quite yet. Lets see how this is evolving

Jul 10, 2017 7:51 PM

Jun 2014
The exposition was quite hasty. They couldve drawn out the middle school part longer to get the audience attached to characters before jumping ahead 3yrs and them saying "i always loved you" even though they only met two times and their first date failed.

Wow. That lunchroom scene escalated pretty damn quickly. I hope theres more behind Mabuchi's change in attitude than just "my parents divorced"
Nov 3, 2017 3:26 PM

Feb 2012
Sakamoto style move

Unattractive bread

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jan 6, 2018 12:18 AM
Nov 2015
Wow first episode was already powerful. It's so melancholic and romantic at the same time. Didn't like how Futaba is trying to pretend to be someone else due to her loneliness. Surprised that Tanaka changed his name. That bread saleslady really got my nerve. Good to see Kou protecting her, but at the same time his hear grew quite bitter. Those two of her friends didn't even try to believe at her, it also makes me furious how they treat her especially her other classmate, Makita Yuuri. I wonder what's going to happen to those two. Looking forward to the next episodes.

Apr 12, 2018 4:39 PM

Jan 2016
I loved the part where the guy calls that cafetaria lady an old hag. I was like DAAAYYYYYUUUUMMMMM. xD xD

Yeah I don't like her friends as well. They're so shallow.

I see the guy's point when he told her that she's cheap and that's why she has bad friends. He said it in a mean way but what he said was right and it shows how much he cares about her or just how much she annoys him. Either one works so far in the story.
Feb 28, 2019 10:31 AM

May 2016
Really enjoyed this episode . 5/5
Pages (8) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2014

296 by Kotori-chama »»
Apr 13, 8:47 AM

» Season 2?

Roni1703 - Apr 3

27 by v4lerria_a »»
Apr 5, 3:03 PM

» What do you think of the anime?

7ohan - Nov 11, 2023

24 by earthborn »»
Nov 15, 2023 7:30 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2014

156 by n0t_4dy »»
Oct 30, 2023 2:57 PM

Poll: » Ao Haru Ride Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2014

176 by cooldogmom »»
Sep 16, 2023 2:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.