Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 7, 2014 2:23 PM
Jun 2013
The entertainment or experience factor goes into it a lot, because even though I was extremely entertained by something like Kill La Kill, there is no way in hell that I would rank it up there in one of the most well made shows of all time. But then again, something like Attack on Titan, which had the best production value of any show to come out in 2013, I didn't find that entertaining. On my list, even though it would be totally different in judging production values, entertainment gets priority, because usually that's what I watch for.
Jul 7, 2014 4:05 PM

Feb 2014
Only enjoyment. Anything else is not really logical.
Jul 7, 2014 4:15 PM

Oct 2009
If I rated so objectively I'd give no tens. I only have rated two tens, one series and one movie.

For a series I go by how enjoyable the series was as a whole, not even one episode can be any less than entertaining. I'd give trigun a 10 for how awesome the last few episodes were but the first 20 or so episodes just aren't that great.

The only series I gave a 10 was Stein's Gate.

A movie is easier in my mind because it has less room to go wrong. 5 Centimeters per Second is my favorite movie, so much thought was put into it and the environment is so engrossing.

Short answer: When I am rating no one thing can make a series a 10 but things can certainly prevent me from rating something highly. If a series avoids doing anything wrong but does nothing very good I'd probably give it a 6 or 7.
Jul 7, 2014 5:28 PM

Jun 2014
HaXXspetten said:
I rate based on whether I fucking liked it or not? Is that so complicated? :>

Same here.
Jul 7, 2014 5:39 PM

Jan 2013
HaXXspetten said:
I rate based on whether I fucking liked it or not? Is that so complicated? :>

^^

I'm not a reviewer, it's not my job to pick over whether a story or a soundtrack is great, if i personally really enjoy enjoy it it will get a high rating.
Jul 7, 2014 5:52 PM

Nov 2013
My ratings are based on how good I think it is.

How good I think it is usually has to do with my overall enjoyment and how much it impressed me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2014 5:54 PM

Mar 2014
AnimusAndMangos said:
My ratings are based on how good I think it is.

How good I think it is usually has to do with my overall enjoyment and how much it impressed me.

this is how i rate too :O
Jul 10, 2014 12:57 AM

Jun 2010
I start with enjoyment and then I judge it objectively. I had alot of fun with Kill la Kill and I like the characters but it's so absurd but I can't tell if the show is suppose to be a joke or if they thought they were being serious so it's kinda hard to tell for me sometimes so I thought it rounded out to about an 8
Jul 10, 2014 1:24 AM

May 2014
Enjoyment, quick examination of characters and story, then the technicalities, I factor in my satisfaction as well.
Jul 10, 2014 1:28 AM
Aug 2011
I rate based on how much people's asses hurt.
Jul 11, 2014 7:48 AM

Apr 2012
You rate things based on how well they do the things they are trying to do. What attributes will be necessary for this depends entirely on what they are trying to do and how they are trying to do it. So...

FMAB would be pointless without a good story. And yet Zetsubou Sensei doesn't need one.
K-ON just wouldn't work without highly skilled and detailed animation. But Kodocha doesn't need it.
ef would be completely ordinary if it had ordinary direction. Erin has completely ordinary direction, but it thrives.
Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora serves no purpose if you don't like its incidental music. The incidental music of Haruhi is totally ordinary, but it's really not a problem.

Everything gets rated on its own merits.
Jul 11, 2014 8:11 AM

Nov 2012
I rate based on enjoyment, and a lot of the time my enjoyment derives from storytelling and characters. I don't care too much about character development though, as long as characters are interesting to watch. Developing a boring character just ain't interesting. Consequently, my favourite anime is Book of Bantorra which basically has no character development, yet some of the most intricate plotting and exciting larger than life characters I've ever seen.

Animation and sounds are just gravy on the mashed potatoes. I enjoy the mashed potatoes without the gravy, but some good gravy is always nice. Sometimes I may enjoy a show solely for it's soundtrack like with K. I don't think animation has made me enjoy a show very much though. I guess I liked Bakemonogatari for like 3 episodes because of the animation style (and some other factors, but the animation style drew me in). But that got boring fast.
Jul 11, 2014 8:17 AM

Jan 2012
As many have said I rate mostly on personal enjoyment. I think how much I enjoy something primarily depends on the characters and art. I watch many slice of life or comedy series where the plot doesn't have to be anything special, but if I enjoy spending time with the characters and how they interact with each other I can find myself loving the experience and wishing it would last longer. That it's nice to look at is always preferable as well of course.
Jul 11, 2014 8:45 AM

Feb 2014
I rate by enjoyment. Thats the most important thing for me.
Jul 11, 2014 8:48 AM

May 2013
Everything is shit, therefore everything deserves a 1.
Jul 14, 2014 7:29 AM

Jul 2011
story>ost>art>everything else

🇦‌🇳‌🇮‌🇲‌🇪‌ 🇱‌🇮‌🇸‌🇹‌
🇵‌🇷‌🇴‌🇫‌🇮‌🇱‌🇪‌
🇲‌🇺‌🇸‌🇮‌🇨‌

Jul 14, 2014 7:31 AM
Aug 2012
I don't rate anime or have an updated list.

If I did rate then it would be very low to make people butthurt.
Jul 14, 2014 7:36 AM

Jul 2013
I use a random number generator.
Jul 14, 2014 7:49 AM
Nov 2013
I say,Technical aspecs MUST have a standard (I do not myself watch animes older than 2006).However,ultimately a show MUST have good content,or else it just becomes irritating or boring.For example,take Avatar Korra (Not an anime,but still...).It is great in art/sound.But it lacks heavily heavily in plot logic,taking us as 5 year olds.
So I say first a show must have minimal standards in both areas,and then you rate it upon your enjoyment and admiration.
For example I rate Code geass 10,because I love Lelouch,the Evil.And its story 'finishes',which is a significant factor in any fiction work.
I don't hate you,honestly.He does.And she.And The Frog.But not me.Truthfully,I just am curious to see your reaction[s].A little pain is a small price for that,agree already.No no, little one, I don't have a fetish for suffering childs. I love gigling ones,too.
Jul 14, 2014 7:55 AM

Oct 2013
Plot and characters > art and music,

Though all are important
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth
Jul 14, 2014 7:57 AM

Dec 2013
precious said:
I rate based on enjoyment and that's it.
Jul 14, 2014 7:58 AM

Sep 2013
Enjoyment is everything.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Jul 14, 2014 8:01 AM

Oct 2013
I listen to my kokoro, my intuition and the weeb inside me. After which i close my eyes, take a deep breath and "rewatch" the anime in an attemp to feel it inside of me, and after reaching the climax i would slowly open my eyes, kiss my screen and only then would I proceed to browse the internet and give it a rating of 2/10 because japanese cartoons suck.
Jul 14, 2014 8:04 AM

Oct 2013
Enjoyment is subjective; it is important to rate using other, more objective measures in order to truly gauge quality
Jul 14, 2014 8:06 AM

Aug 2013
Link_of_Hyrule said:
Enjoyment is subjective; it is important to rate using other, more objective measures in order to truly gauge quality

And what's wrong with being subjective? We're rating what we want, our opinions.
If somehow we find a way to objectively rate something, then there's no point in rating anything in the first place.

Jul 14, 2014 8:10 AM

Jul 2014
The strongest emphasis for me is on story and character development and depth.

Second strongest would be contributing factors to emotional response.

Third; art.

Everything else is supplementary.
Jul 14, 2014 8:51 AM

Oct 2013
kami_desu said:
Link_of_Hyrule said:

And what's wrong with being subjective? We're rating what we want, our opinions.
If somehow we find a way to objectively rate something, then there's no point in rating anything in the first place.
Because I don't want to live in a world where someone can say "Boku no Pico is better than Evangelion" and have it be acceptable because everything is 100% subjective. Objectively, that is NOT an acceptable statement
Jul 14, 2014 9:19 AM

Aug 2013
Link_of_Hyrule said:
kami_desu said:

Because I don't want to live in a world where someone can say "Boku no Pico is better than Evangelion" and have it be acceptable because everything is 100% subjective. Objectively, that is NOT an acceptable statement

And just how is Boku no Pico not better than evangelion. In the end, isn't it just your opinion that Evangelion is better?
Music, art, script, pacing, etc. So one might say it's better, but that's their opinion. There's no way to be able to completely rate something objectively.

Jul 14, 2014 9:24 AM

Oct 2013
kami_desu said:

And just how is Boku no Pico not better than evangelion?
Oh dear god. You can't be seriously asking that. I'm strongly considering making this my signature.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and humor you: Example of objective measures we can apply to critique shows: Pacing, characterization, tone, production value, etc.
Jul 14, 2014 9:32 AM

Aug 2013
Link_of_Hyrule said:
kami_desu said:

And just how is Boku no Pico not better than evangelion?
Oh dear god. You can't be seriously asking that. I'm strongly considering making this my signature.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and humor you: Example of objective measures we can apply to critique shows: Pacing, characterization, tone, production value, etc.

But how can you prove that the pacing or characterization is better? It's only better to you because that's how you see it. More (okay, maybe almost all) people just happen to have the same opinion as you.
Like I said, in the end, it all comes down to your opinion on whether or not it's better (aside from production value maybe).

Jul 14, 2014 9:37 AM

May 2014
kami_desu said:
Like I said, in the end, it all comes down to your opinion on whether or not it's better (aside from production value maybe).
Mass subjectivity is objectivity anyway, no? Hence why one uses MAL ratings to pick out "quality".
Jul 14, 2014 9:40 AM

Jun 2014
I don't think I really know how I rate my anime.

If you look on my favorites, you'll see that Durarara is my favorite even though I think Kaze No Stigma is more fun to watch.

I guess I rate anime by characters, plot development, and how it does in its genre.
I agree anime is for entertainment, so it should not be boring, but a crappy series is still crappy no matter how fun it is too watch.

In the end, I guess I rate anime by both quality and enjoyment.
Jul 14, 2014 9:47 AM

Dec 2012
Story and Characters. I won't rate on enjoyment because my enjoyment depends on these two, I don't really care about animation. In a sense, I'll appreciate how good something is animated but if it's bad and I can still understand it, then it's fine. Same goes for ost as well.
Jul 14, 2014 9:48 AM
Aug 2012
T3hSource said:
Mass subjectivity is objectivity anyway, no?
No.
Jul 14, 2014 10:14 AM
Apr 2013
Deja vu question
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=75991
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=668363

Try Google first using the "site:" function
site:myanimelist.net how rate anime

I use formula, Sum 1 to 5 up / 5 = my score.
listbotJul 14, 2014 10:25 AM
Jul 14, 2014 10:17 AM

Oct 2013
kami_desu said:
Link_of_Hyrule said:

But how can you prove that the pacing or characterization is better? It's only better to you because that's how you see it. More (okay, maybe almost all) people just happen to have the same opinion as you.
Wrong; this just shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

To give an example, good pacing is when the story moves fast enough to keep the viewer's interest without going so fast that they have no idea what is going on (as well as being consistent). While there is a small degree of subjectivity in that, you can look at an inconsistent, sporadic, and trainwreck of an attempt at pacing (like Black Bullet) and compare it to a consistent, steady, expertly executed pace (like Higurashi) and the results will always be conclusive. One (Higurashi) is more effective at what it is intending to do than the other (Black Bullet). There is nothing subjective about it; one has an objectively better pace than the other.
Link_of_HyruleJul 14, 2014 10:20 AM
Jul 14, 2014 10:18 AM

Mar 2014
I rate based on some objectiveness, but of course there is bias
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Jul 14, 2014 10:35 AM

Jan 2013
I rate based on how many people die.
Jul 14, 2014 10:46 AM

Nov 2012
You can't go wrong with rating based on both subjectivity and objectivity. Basically for me:
If a show is able to keep up my interest throughout the show, then it would deserve at least a 7. If not, the show is not likable and is scored less than a 7. Then, I will give an appropriate score within my designated range of scores from an objective point of view.
Jul 14, 2014 11:23 AM

Apr 2014
It's different for each anime. Not set criteria.

Jul 14, 2014 11:24 AM

Nov 2010
StardustNyako said:
I rate based on some objectiveness, but of course there is bias
Then it's not objective.
Jul 14, 2014 11:26 AM
Nov 2013
I put this whole crap in about me, but honestly everything is just bullshit. I rate with my soul.
Jul 14, 2014 11:46 AM

May 2013
First and foremost I take into account the overall impression the series left me with. Did I enjoy it? Did I like the characters? Does the story feel complete? Is is aesthetically pleasing, or competent? So on and so forth.

Once I've got a solid grasp of my thoughts on the show, I begin to analyze why I came to to the conclusion I did. Execution of the show is examined thoroughly. I ask the "Why?" and the "How?", essentially. Why were these characters good? How did the creators achieve this? Stuff like that.

All this is taken into account for the final rating. It's a very fluid, loose system with no absolute rules other than "Did this show achieve what it was trying to achieve in a competent and engaging manner?". Ratings are given in light of this question. 10's are not perfect in the sense that they are flawless, but that these shows accomplished what they set out to do so masterfully that flaws are irrelevant.

What qualifies as "masterfully" is really dependent on too many factors to sit and list. It's all case by case. Rating is a tricky beast.
Jul 14, 2014 1:55 PM

Nov 2012
Animation - medium
Graphic style - high
Ost - med high
Climatic op/ed - very high
Characters - high
Character development - low or med
Plot - most important for everyone
Pacing - low
Concept - high
Jul 14, 2014 4:58 PM

Oct 2010
Link_of_Hyrule said:
kami_desu said:

Wrong; this just shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

To give an example, good pacing is when the story moves fast enough to keep the viewer's interest without going so fast that they have no idea what is going on (as well as being consistent). While there is a small degree of subjectivity in that, you can look at an inconsistent, sporadic, and trainwreck of an attempt at pacing (like Black Bullet) and compare it to a consistent, steady, expertly executed pace (like Higurashi) and the results will always be conclusive. One (Higurashi) is more effective at what it is intending to do than the other (Black Bullet). There is nothing subjective about it; one has an objectively better pace than the other.

So, you are relying on subjective experience to justify the presence of objectivity. Doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. Anyway, is it relevant? Can we change the condition of sub/objectivity in a statement? I don't think so. Then what is the merit at reaching either of them?
Jul 14, 2014 5:32 PM

Oct 2013
Krunchy said:
Animation - medium
Graphic style - high
Ost - med high
Climatic op/ed - very high
Characters - high
Character development - low or med
Plot - most important for everyone
Pacing - low
Concept - high

And how much out of 10 that would be?
Jul 14, 2014 6:48 PM

Oct 2013
jal90 said:

Uhhhh, have you been listening to anything I've been saying?
Jul 14, 2014 8:23 PM
Jun 2013
For me the rating is mostly based on enjoyment which in turn is heavily based on atmosphere, music, and character.
However, there are the occasional masterpieces of anime that get rated highly despite enjoyment, but mostly they don't get any rating at all for fear of bias against the show.
Jul 15, 2014 12:49 AM

Oct 2010
Link_of_Hyrule said:
jal90 said:

Uhhhh, have you been listening to anything I've been saying?

Is this the new strategy for discussion? Of course I have. And your points are contradictory, and I'm pointing at that. So if you believe you are being misunderstood, make a proper answer to my claim instead of this boring assumption.
Jul 15, 2014 2:06 AM

Oct 2013
Rating anime is a serious business so I take it as such. I rate 36.35 per cent on the story, 34.6458 per cent on the chars, 18.2546898778998558 on the enjoyment and 11.74585648554785684 per cent on the animation and sound. Then I double check if the percentages were right, God Forbid I might have made a mistake somewhere...
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Apr 26

25 by malvarez1 »»
2 minutes ago

» Has anyone noticed how sequel bias is an anime only thing?

APolygons2 - 23 minutes ago

8 by Rachiba »»
2 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - Yesterday

43 by yodebqzz »»
3 minutes ago

» Guys I did it!

TsutanaiFuun - 11 hours ago

23 by JessicaKari »»
6 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Yesterday

60 by -YaoiBoy- »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.