Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 1, 2014 10:51 PM

Jun 2013
Hey guys ^_^
I'm an avid Anime watcher and never really bothered reading Manga before. I was just wondering what are some pros and cons to reading Manga compared to watching anime. Does the lack of animation to back-up the dialogue inhibit the overall enjoyment of it or does it have something different to it?

Interested to see what your guys opinion on the Anime v Manga situation and hopefully you can convince me to pick up some Manga titles :D
Jul 1, 2014 11:19 PM

Dec 2012
I don't read a lot of manga but here are a few things I can think of

Pros:
- Reading at your own pace
- Manga will have more content than the anime as most of the time the anime is an adaptation to the anime
- Great for people with short attention span
- Create your own impression of the story (scenery, voices, etc)

Cons:
- Black & white
- No animation or BGM
- Some of the drawings are hard to depict what exactly is going on
Jul 1, 2014 11:23 PM

Nov 2010
To add onto that. Another con is that the gap between mangaka's skill can be large, one manga can be beautifully drawn, much better than the anime could do and the other could be scribbles. So it's not as consistent as anime artwork.

A pro is that a lot of works that haven't or won't get an anime adaptation are out there, including other country's works.
Jul 1, 2014 11:28 PM
Mar 2011
anime = all animation is Japan manga dose not = all comics us made comics are labled comikku

OT
Pro
There is so much more of it i recon over 70 of the manga iv read that has not got an adpatton now will never get one
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 2, 2014 12:44 AM

Apr 2013
I'll add to what was already said above as a pro that manga is a better support to give character depth, as you can write far more easily character's thoughts when needed.
Another pro is that anime is usually made "softer" as in, you 'll either
-won't see any adaptation of gruesome/manga with really dark settings
-will be able to see them but with all of the harsh seen deleted/made so softer that they lose most of their essence.
Some exceptions there, but they are just that, exceptions.

There are numerous manga/LN which fall in one of the two categories.
Jul 2, 2014 5:19 AM

Oct 2013
With manga I can take my time to enjoy the story completely. In my opinion the medium manga is
also expressional regarding the characters emotions.
Jul 2, 2014 6:30 AM

Feb 2012
-no scans
-no physical copies either
-stories that won't ever end
-incomplete stories
-lacking in some genres
Jul 2, 2014 6:49 AM

Jun 2008
Lack of animation, sound, and color are the biggest gripe for me for manga.

The only pro I can think of is it's usually an original story, so it doesn't get butchered by changing medias.
Jul 2, 2014 6:44 PM
Jun 2014
I tend to enjoy the voices of the characters in my head better than I do the real voice-actors (but of course that's just a matter of preference).

The posters above have summed it up quite nicely, but if I were to add something else, they're also free of pointless filler arcs.
Jul 2, 2014 8:33 PM

Apr 2013
Another con is that you sometimes can't tell who's talking because the speech bubbles can be vaguely placed, which can lead to confusion.

Everything else I can think of has already been said.
Jul 4, 2014 11:48 AM

Jun 2013
Things like sound and music, color, and animation present a lot of ways for conveying certain moods and really makes for deeper impact and immersion. Things like acoustic changes depending on surroundings and tone of voice can affect the experience so much.

Manga, though certainly quite enjoyable on its own, lacks such elements and leaves much of the immersion to the reader.

Immersion aside, I definitely agree that the lack of color can make for some confusing scenes, where you can have a bit of trouble determining exactly what is going on. (Though I don't read a lot of manga, so this might not be all that common or might just take some getting used to)
Jul 5, 2014 11:17 PM

Nov 2012
The only con I can think of is that when I've read the manga I can't bear to watch the animated version later it's soo fkn annoying like I want to read so many thing but I can't because then I can't watch the second season of the anime later
Jul 6, 2014 8:27 AM

Jul 2014
Well the pros are definitely that the manga is all canon in comparison to a anime that is adapted from a manga that may contain a lot of fillers.
The only con is that it can be quite confusing at times but nevertheless i personally prefer manga as it is far more enjoyable as i read it in my own time and weirdly they have a bigger impact on me whilst reading and most of the time anime adaptations seem to mess up .

Jul 6, 2014 8:59 AM

Dec 2012
Only significant con imo:
Is the issue of translations and finding scans online.

Manga > Anime.
Jul 6, 2014 10:48 AM

Dec 2012
As people said, the biggest issue with manga is probably the fact that many of them, some of them very good, get axed, are dropped by scanalators or go on hiatus, so don't expect to see a lot of endings...

However, in the end it usually boils down to a matter personal preference: for instance, while I prefer manga over anime, since I find it easier to dive into a manga that I know nothing about and quickly see if I enjoy it (compared to having to "waste" at least 48 minutes of my time to find out if I like an anime or not), I've also heard that there's quite a good number of people out there that find it hard to concentrate while reading a manga... It tends to be a rather subjective thing.
Jul 8, 2014 11:46 PM

Jan 2011
Pro: No dub vs sub arguments.
Jul 15, 2014 2:53 PM

Mar 2008
IntervisioN said:
Please do tell how that's the case.

As for the pros in mangas, my pro is quite different in a way that I find it's easier to read manga. Some mangas are published already and translated, and I like to borrow the books from the library to read so it doesn't cause stress on my eyes versus watching/reading on the computer.

The other pro is that I believe manga is the first production before producing it to an anime. That is why, there are more other short mangas that can be read & completed fast, and there are so many "mainstream" anime from the mangas that are prolonged and takes forever to finish. Also, I believe mangas have more of the "true story line" compared to the anime.

Some examples would be Kuroshitsuji, and Chrono Crusade, which diverged from the actual story line.

The cons are (as stated already) waiting for it to be published/scanlated, and to make matters worse, some scanlators do drop the manga series. I don't have any problem with the slow scanlations unless it's a favourite manga of mine.
Jul 16, 2014 1:34 AM

Jan 2013
I consider no sound a great thing. Some VAs for manga adaptations just don't fulfill my expectations of what the original manga character is like.
Jul 16, 2014 5:53 AM

Jan 2013
Cons are no music and sometimes hard to tell whats going on
Jul 19, 2014 1:32 AM

Dec 2013
Some of the fights are just too messy in manga
Jul 25, 2014 3:53 PM

Aug 2013
It's true there generally isn't colour in Manga, so a scene usually can't be as bright and vibrant as an anime. But I really don't notice. There isn't music, which can really bring out the emotions of a scene, but if it's written/drawn well it should have enough by itself.

Positively, since the voices are as imagined by the reader, you don't have to worry about poor voice acting. Usually. And there's more content in Manga, than Anime based off Manga. You just get more.
Jul 27, 2014 4:23 PM

Jul 2014
a well drawn manga is hard to find but totally worth it. It really brings your emotions out. Try reading Vagabond.
Jul 27, 2014 6:00 PM

Mar 2014
It's just the original thing. Anime often butcheres the series with lame adaptions, filler material or leaving out/skipping canon material.
The drawings are more original. When I watch an anime from a series I read the manga beforehand, I immediately see the difference between how the characters look in the anime compared to how to they look in the original manga.
Moreover are there so many great manga that don't have an adaption you just have to start reading manga.
Jul 28, 2014 3:02 AM
Dec 2013
Pros:
-Reading at your own pace
-Manga more content like how dark the manga is and story wise, unlike anime they nerf it down
-Manga don't take good part out that you like
-Manga is the original story
-Voices you made up in your head sound better than voice actor in the anime
-Some manga won't get animated
-You can see the how hard the mangaka draw the manga with details and etcs

Cons:
-Sometimes a series get drop(That really piss me off)
-Some drawing will get messy and hard to see
-Some manga take to long to release
Jul 28, 2014 9:16 AM

Jan 2013
Pros:

- Better pacing and flow of the story
- Can follow the events at your own pace
- No fillers
- No random, nonsensical changes to the canonical story
- Easier to get immersed in

Cons:

- No music
- No color, only several color pages at most
- Speech bubbles can be vaguely placed, which makes it hard to know who is saying what
Salmon is delicious.
Jul 28, 2014 9:35 AM

Sep 2013
I prefer anime and I've only just started reading manga seriously but some of the cons I've experienced are:

-I scan the page just reading the text quickly, like a book, not paying attention to the art and thus missing like half the story
-It takes a really long time to read and you can easily lose track of the story by stopping half way through a chapter etc, whereas you're more likely to finish an anime episode and anime episodes have recaps.

Also: - Trying to find music to match the pace of the manga as youre reading is really irritating, but I hate reading manga in silence because it dulls the experience.
Jul 28, 2014 9:41 AM

Sep 2013
IntervisioN said:
I don't read a lot of manga but here are a few things I can think of

Pros:
- Reading at your own pace
- Manga will have more content than the anime as most of the time the anime is an adaptation to the anime
- Create your own impression of the story (scenery, voices, etc)

Cons:
- Black & white
- No animation or BGM
- Some of the drawings are hard to depict what exactly is going on

Right there with you.
I find that in general anime has a far harder time holding my attention than manga does + it doesn't feel like it drags on as much since you can move through it at your own pace etc.
Jul 28, 2014 10:00 PM
May 2011
Cons are theres too many to choose from
Aug 11, 2014 3:43 AM

Nov 2012
cons : the character not voiced
pros : the annoying tsundere character not voiced
IF YOU LIKE DEATH PARADE, GO WATCH BARTENDER!!!
my animesongs chord thread : here bro
Aug 11, 2014 3:54 AM

Nov 2009
Well, definitely a rather common topic . . . Anyways, some pros include:

- Completed works (they are the original, so yes, they have an original ending assuming they weren't dropped by the author, often times anime will not adapt a manga in its entirety)

- Larger selection (obviously)

- More diverse selection (Anime is limited by "having to sink or swim", they are a stand-alone product, and are quite expensive to produce as well, so companies have to be sure that the anime in question will succeed. This generally leads to A LOT of shounen, or anime pandering to as large a demographic as possible. There is nothing wrong with this. However the format for manga is quite different. Manga are released in magazines, in which there are typically 10-20 different series in that one magazine. This means that they can test out series that would be often written off as "too niche" in terms of anime. After all, a consumer who buys the same manga magazine every month, isn't going to stop buying that magazine just because they don't like 1 out of the 15 manga present. And of course they can monitor the series as it progresses, instead of having to continue with a sinking ship like in anime. Now this all sounds nitpicky, however it leads to a boat load of sub-genres not even found in anime)

- Art (Manga has better art)

- Little to no fillers (actually not too big of a reason for me as to why I prefer manga but no quite a few people who hate anime due to fillers)

Cons:

- No voiced dialogue (do miss hearing some voice actors, although with just a little imagination it is pretty easy to voice the characters)

- No animation (The only aspect where this actually bothers me is with fight scenes, I do love a good fight scene . . . However most anime don't deliver good fight scenes so this didn't really make me miss animated fight scenes)

- Many manga are either A) Never picked up by a scanlation group or B) Dropped by a scanlation group probably never to be picked up again, it isn't the majority of manga out there where you have to fear picking up one that will soon be dropped by the group, but it can happen

Some additional points, One I hear often is that all manga lack color which is why they are bad . . . Web comics are a thing . . . And most of them come with pretty sick art, full color to boot - Like: A render of Rai, a favorite character of mine from my favorite webcomic (In case you aren't sure what a render is, it is basically taking a character (or w/e you are interested in from the image) and removing all other elements of the image from it (basically just erase everything but what you want))

The other big one I hear is the lack of Music . . . An anime is limited to an ost of only so many songs, when reading manga, one usually also has access to an mp3 player or the internet . . . Now some people don't like listening to music when reading, however I am the opposite, in some ways I prefer manga since I can listen to the music I actually think fits the mood of the series (plus what I want to hear), not that I hate music in all anime, but many just have semi half-hearted / mediocre sound tracks . . . Not that I really care too much about an anime's sound track one way or the other.
Aug 11, 2014 4:46 AM
Jul 2018
I feel that it's not as immersive, but there is usually more explanation and content than in anime.
Aug 11, 2014 4:59 AM
Mar 2011
Sometimes when I read manga I miss some important details, like for example small panels or some speech bubbles. But in anime they show these things better. Also sometimes in anime they add extra explanation that is not there in manga, so it becomes easier to understand.

More topics from this board

» 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MRC_mod - Jan 20

161 by jaeo_k »»
4 hours ago

» Why do you think MAL users don't read manga?

Nyron - Feb 7

34 by Zedlin »»
5 hours ago

» Any manga out that opposite to world end harem?

Darkrazor22 - May 10

3 by Darkrazor22 »»
8 hours ago

» How do you read your Manwha/Manhua ?

TheDefCrypt - May 8

7 by ST63LTH »»
12 hours ago

» Western Studio Adaptation of Berserk (Thoughts?)

FlydayEthan - May 2

4 by Old_School_Akira »»
May 12, 3:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.