Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Yearly Manga and Light Novel Rankings for 2014 (First Half)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 4, 2014 5:02 AM

Apr 2010
Nidhoeggr said:
Overall sales are more spreadout it seems, which is a great sign.
As for OP and SnK:
One Piece has less volumes out.. which is kinda important because a single 4 million print can make a difference. Details, people...
Not that it matters, the sales for One Piece can't rise forever because the market is nearly saturated when it comes to the franchise. You can't top 100% market penetration. Shingeki has more room for improvement there.
Same in the long run, because I can't see Shingeki overcoming this 300 million sales cap in a while. I also doubt it will last as long as OP, which has still well over 60 volumes left if the current pace continues.
It would still be second, it does print 4 million, but as you can see wouldn't even sell 3 million. Would still be a +1 million behind. I agree with the rest. Btw, Shingeki has the movie recaps this year, and the live action movie, I think it will top op at the end if the year (not by much, but I think it will)
Jun 4, 2014 5:03 AM

Nov 2013
Snow said:
Light Novel Sales by Series
*1. 814,638 Kagerou Days
*2. 651,405 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
*3. 592,669 Sword Art Online
*4. 519,732 Monogatari Series
*5. 487,397 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
*6. 331,987 Sword Art Online: Progressive

Light Novel Sales by Volumes
*1. 521,217 Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou Vol.5
*2. 339,600 Manga de Wakaru Nanatsu no Shuukan

Please explain how the best seller by volume has more than some of the LN that appear on the series list, and yet it doesn't appear there...

I really can't understand...
Personal tastes are like peoples behinds, each one has its own,
and only those who wants to find [...] will smell one another.

Jun 4, 2014 5:06 AM
Jun 2009
FireHeart said:
No surprises in top 5. SnK is getting the attention it deserves.
I didn't expect this though...
15. 1,774,694 Bleach
Kubo-sensei is slipping.

Compared to last year he's actually doing better.
Jun 4, 2014 7:02 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
Lefty112 said:
Can you someone please explain to me why No Game No Life is ranked twice on the chart for Light Novels? And #9 and at #18?

The first publisher of NGNL (Media Factory) was merged with Kadokawa Corporation, so the sales code for the Light Novel changed to the one from Kadokawa.

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Jun 4, 2014 7:06 AM

Jun 2012
Hip Hip Hurrah for SnK!!! *throws confetti everywhere*

I don't care if One Piece at the end of the year ends up first again, because this right here is a fucking huge achievement!
this NEED to be celebrated!!

You go SNK!! stay strong!! *keeps throwing confetti*

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jun 4, 2014 7:25 AM

Sep 2013
Glad for Haikyuu!! and Gin No Saji, I hope for a third season of Gin No Saji soon :)
While you shitpost about other taste, i watch or read stuff :D
Jun 4, 2014 7:57 AM

Jul 2013
Snow said:
Lefty112 said:
Can you someone please explain to me why No Game No Life is ranked twice on the chart for Light Novels? And #9 and at #18?

The first publisher of NGNL (Media Factory) was merged with Kadokawa Corporation, so the sales code for the Light Novel changed to the one from Kadokawa.

Which means No Game No Life basically sold over 424,000 copies. Which would place it 6th on this list if the circumstances were normal? That's awesome.
Jun 4, 2014 8:01 AM
News Team
꙳•❅*°⋆❆.ೃ࿔*:・*❆

Apr 2010
DarkMoonWolf said:

Please explain how the best seller by volume has more than some of the LN that appear on the series list, and yet it doesn't appear there...

'Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou' is not released under a Light Novel print label, and because of that is not classified as a Light Novel in Japan. While the 'Sales by Volumes' covers all Novels sold in Bunko format, the 'Sales by Series' does not.
SnowJun 4, 2014 8:06 AM

Submit News × GuidelinesPart of U × Color Your Night × Limelight × Headline˙⊹܀⁺☁︎˚˙⊹⁺.˙⁺
Jun 4, 2014 8:02 AM

Dec 2011
keragamming said:

Ugh.... Why did you jump straight to the second half O.o?

Is it really so odd to compare one half to the previous half when considering whether or not the sales have dropped?

DarkMoonWolf said:
Snow said:
Light Novel Sales by Series
*1. 814,638 Kagerou Days
*2. 651,405 Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
*3. 592,669 Sword Art Online
*4. 519,732 Monogatari Series
*5. 487,397 Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru.
*6. 331,987 Sword Art Online: Progressive

Light Novel Sales by Volumes
*1. 521,217 Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou Vol.5
*2. 339,600 Manga de Wakaru Nanatsu no Shuukan

Oricon doesn't count Biblia as a light novel series. Manga de Wakaru is not a light novel series.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 4, 2014 8:23 AM

Nov 2008
was wondering where is Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai light novel? Did it not make the list or something?

Mod Edit: Removed quote.
VudisJun 7, 2014 8:57 AM
Jun 4, 2014 8:33 AM

Dec 2011
Mr_Gutts said:

was wondering where is Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai light novel? Did it not make the list or something?

No volumes were released during the covered time period. Volume 10 comes out tomorrow.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jun 4, 2014 8:36 AM

Jan 2013
even though attack on titan manga is quite ugly :o
Jun 4, 2014 8:37 AM

Jan 2014
Lots of the animes I like are here, I'm surprised that Nisekoi is in top 10, that's cool.
Jun 4, 2014 8:46 AM

Jul 2013
Happy that SnK took the 1st spot, but I doubt it will stay that long. OP won't surpass it this year, though I can see that it will regain its throne next year. Depends if Oda ends dressrosa arc marvelously or yet with another mediocre arc like fishman island and punk hazard.
Jun 4, 2014 8:51 AM
Aug 2012
Those Silver Spoon numbers are good, have there ever been any rumours of an English translation, either paper or digital? It's already available in French and Spanish.
Jun 4, 2014 9:50 AM

Mar 2014
AOT dominated. lol
"Did you really think I wouldn’t cheat just because I was already winning?" - Dread Emperor Terribilis II

"I chose glory and success. The box did not contain what was written on the lid." - Sand dan Glokta
Jun 4, 2014 10:12 AM

Aug 2008
Yeah, I guess I'll keep skipping manga section and focus on LN. Nothing to see there.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 4, 2014 12:11 PM

May 2007
The sales numbers would be much more useful if we knew how many volumes of each series were being counted in those numbers. As previous people have stated, One Piece released one volume while Attack on Titan released two within that time frame. Curious about the others.
Jun 4, 2014 1:49 PM

Dec 2011
VK11 said:
The sales numbers would be much more useful if we knew how many volumes of each series were being counted in those numbers.

All of them. Sales for volumes that came out before this time period count towards the total.
Jun 4, 2014 2:01 PM

Nov 2010
kuuderes_shadow said:
VK11 said:
The sales numbers would be much more useful if we knew how many volumes of each series were being counted in those numbers.

All of them. Sales for volumes that came out before this time period count towards the total.
He's talking about volumes that came out during the time between the start of the year and now.
Jun 4, 2014 9:05 PM

Sep 2013
neehow said:
all this money and energy being wasted on cartoon books they should be using that time and energy REPRODUCING.

Anime girls>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(more arrows)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Real life girls

TheNaturalPerm said:
even though attack on titan manga is quite ugly :o

And overrated, outside of the fight scenes it sucks, at least the anime makes them good.
VudisJun 7, 2014 8:57 AM
Jun 5, 2014 2:00 PM
Mar 2009
Holy shit, Shingeki no Kyojin sold almost double that of One Piece.

I'm surprised Mahouka Rettousei is second place; didn't think it was that popular.

Glad to see Oregairu up there though.
Jun 5, 2014 2:27 PM

Nov 2013
ChronosXIII said:
I'm surprised Mahouka Rettousei is second place; didn't think it was that popular.

Mahouka was fairly popular even before the anime. It's only natural it gets even more popular after a good anime boost.
Jun 5, 2014 9:21 PM

Dec 2010
Ooh, Diamond no Ace did pretty well.
Jun 6, 2014 1:56 PM
Dec 2012
SO SNK passed OP no surprise though I'm not going to blame it on OP having only 1 volume and shit because it wouldn't mattered if it had 2 or 3 with all 13 Volumes of SNK Still selling that would only shrink the Gap. Now what is Surprising is Kuroko no Basket While I realize that we can say it is bc OP only having 1 Vol to its 3 but for KnB to be within 300,000 copies Of OP is Something with current trends OP might be 3rd by year end

Another interesting thing I see is Nise Koi for something that was unranked in 2012 and 30th in 2013 its Surprising to see it 10th 6 months later in the first Half of 2014 I figured it would eventually climb up there but not this quick it could reach the top 5 or so by year end as well
Jun 6, 2014 2:04 PM

Nov 2010
Sutatekken said:
SO SNK passed OP no surprise though I'm not going to blame it on OP having only 1 volume and shit because it wouldn't mattered if it had 2 or 3 with all 13 Volumes of SNK Still selling that would only shrink the Gap. Now what is Surprising is Kuroko no Basket While I realize that we can say it is bc OP only having 1 Vol to its 3 but for KnB to be within 300,000 copies Of OP is Something with current trends OP might be 3rd by year end
Can you do math. You said if One Piece put out three then it wouldn't have beaten it? If you kept the same amount that it sold this time and add it twice, it would have been over 10,000,000. Each of the additional two volumes would have only had to of sold like 1.7 million a piece to have beaten SnK which from what I've heard(I don't pay attention to the whole trend of One Piece), it would do easily.
Jun 7, 2014 11:20 PM

Mar 2009
lot of very successful sports
Jun 8, 2014 1:59 PM

Oct 2007
ChronosXIII said:
Holy shit, Shingeki no Kyojin sold almost double that of One Piece.

Glad to see Oregairu up there though.

You can't really get a picture of what's popular in Japan just by following dumb fanboy politics in the West. There's often very little overlap. Some but still very little.

Pknoctis said:
Ooh, Diamond no Ace did pretty well.

Ace of Diamond is actually a fairly mainstream work in Japan. It airs during the Daytime, lacks any real objectionable content and is just a good old fashioned straight up show that sticks to its premise well and doesn't feel the need to throw in irrelevant shit cause it doesn't have to pander to the typical night time audience for anime. It even gets used in a lot of advertisements for every day products like Gundam.
PeacingOutJun 8, 2014 2:03 PM
Jun 8, 2014 2:33 PM

May 2007
Prison School should get an anime.
Jun 8, 2014 3:19 PM

Oct 2013
JCDRANZER said:
Prison School should get an anime.

Totally agree with this. ^
Jun 8, 2014 5:30 PM

Aug 2013
To be frank, i don't necessarily disagree with ichii_1 since he actually brought in an interesting perspective, that the recent chapters of Shingeki has been narrated rather poorly. Because what we've got from the latest 7-8 chapters was, in nutshell, a perfectly straightforward story about Recon Corps trying to figure out the murder behind the cult leader. If it weren't for non-stop conspiracy dialogues that consistently pops out before the characters actually adress the problem on hand, each chapters could've been only 20 pages long.

Shingeki is at its best when it actually deals with Titans imo, but the latest chapters that's been so entrenched at dealing with internal conflict between humanity actually shows how much Isayama is struggling to keep Shingeki going by stretching the plot as thinly as possible.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
VudisJun 9, 2014 7:00 AM
Jun 8, 2014 5:57 PM

Oct 2013
Amiluhur said:
keragamming said:
It's called world building, and character development, it's not all about titan action. But if you want action, there is plenty of that in chapter 58. Just without titans.

To be frank, i don't necessarily disagree with ichii_1 since he actually brought in an interesting perspective, that the recent chapters of Shingeki has been narrated rather poorly. Because what we've got from the latest 7-8 chapters was, in nutshell, a perfectly straightforward story about Recon Corps trying to figure out the murder behind the cult leader. If it weren't for non-stop conspiracy dialogues that consistently pops out before the characters actually adress the problem on hand, each chapters could've been only 20 pages long.

Shingeki is at its best when it actually deals with Titans imo, but the latest chapters that's been so entrenched at dealing with internal conflict between humanity actually shows how much Isayama is struggling to keep Shingeki going by stretching the plot as thinly as possible.

1. I already know you are not a big fan of this series, so I'm not surprise.
2 Yea, let's kill some more titans and don't progress the story, lets do the same thing over and over by making titans appear and then Eren can go titan and kill shit! Yea, that should make snk even better! Who needs STORY OR ANSWERS, action all the way!
3. Are you implying that what we are getting is filler, and nothing to the story? From what I'm seeing everything seems to connect. For eg. Chapter 46 connection with chapter 56, big connection there.
4. If you've been paying attention to snk from day 1, you would've known that humans are also the enemy, or actually the true enemy.
5. Isayama is not struggling at all, he's telling us a story and making sure that everything fits perfectly. I bet you wouldn't dare say any of the later chapters were not important to the story.

Another thing Isayma is not a one of those mangaka that makes up shit while they going, If you've been paying close attention, you would realize that everything is connected. You can't deny that.

YOU SOUND LIKE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT ARE BITCHING ABOUT HUNTER X HUNTER LATEST CHAPTER, I DONT READ THE MANGA BUT I HEARD THEIR IS A LOT OF DIALOGUE AND TALKS ABOUT POLITICS AND PEOPLE ARE BITCHING THAT IT'S BORING THEY WANT ACTION, ACTION AND MORE ACTION!. SMH.-_-

Any ways we have different opinions. Snk manga is not selling well because of the pretty art, it's selling well because the story is so damn good and interesting. And not the shounen generic bullshit we are getting today. Nice talking with ya. ;)
keragammingJun 8, 2014 6:13 PM
Jun 8, 2014 8:07 PM

Aug 2013
Great, it appears that throwing random accusations and strawman arguments is the only way to handle dissenting opinions, so let me break down your points slowly.
keragamming said:
1. I already know you are not a big fan of this series, so I'm not surprise.

How do you know that i'm/i'm not fan of the series. Which ones of my previous arguments (on these forums) giving off such indication?
keragamming said:
2 Yea, let's kill some more titans and don't progress the story, lets do the same thing over and over by making titans appear and then Eren can go titan and kill shit! Yea, that should make snk even better! Who needs STORY OR ANSWERS, action all the way!

I didn't say anything about killing more Titans and not progressing the story whatsoever. I simply said that SnK is at its best when it deals with Titans, plain and simple, but it appears that you can't properly comprehend this point without you spicing things up a little bit.
keragamming said:
3. Are you implying that what we are getting is filler, and nothing to the story? From what I'm seeing everything seems to connect. For eg. Chapter 46 connection with chapter 56, big connection there.

Not saying filler or anything of some sort. Sure, these things that i'm complaining about might be very useful for the story in the future, but if what you've got so far is consistent introduction of more and more winding mysteries without properly addressing much of the existing ones, i don't find it a really good storytelling
keragamming said:
4. If you've been paying attention to snk from day 1, you would've known that humans are also the enemy, or actually the true enemy.

Mind you, initially the Titans were the enemies in the story. The whole "Humans are enemies as well" thing only came up after chapter 12 or so. Even so, has the series so far even bothered elaborating as to why some humans are becoming the enemies in the story?
keragamming said:
5. Isayama is not struggling at all, he's telling us a story and making sure that everything fits perfectly. I bet you wouldn't dare say any of the later chapters were not important to the story.

Yes, later. What about now? My initial post is specifically talking about what's currently happening. Again, you're reading things that aren't even there.
keragamming said:
Another thing Isayma is not a one of those mangaka that makes up shit while they going, If you've been paying close attention, you would realize that everything is connected. You can't deny that.

I've been paying close attention and actually, not everything is connected (yet) so far.

Though at this point, i'm sure that somebody will still tell me that i'm totally wrong and SnK is super awesome and Isayama knows what he's doing despite what the manga has shown us so far.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
VudisJun 8, 2014 11:07 PM
Jun 8, 2014 10:31 PM

Oct 2013
@Amiluhur Let's just stop here, we both of different views of this series and I know none of us will agree on anything in the end. And please spoiler tag the second to last paragraph, Let's not spoil anyone. This will not bring us anywhere. You don't like this type of story telling, while I like this type of story telling. There everyone wins.

ANIME VIEWERS DON'T READ THE COMMENT ABOVE ME^, BIG MANGA SPOILERS, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!
keragammingJun 8, 2014 10:36 PM
Jun 9, 2014 2:28 AM

Apr 2009
You know, keragamming...the difference between HxH and SnK is that hxH features tons of well-crafted worldbuilding whereas SnK has grade school level politics that you can find in hundreds of other manga. Maybe you should lay down the fanboyism a bit..
As others have said, you read stuff into thigns that is just not there.

To be honest I don't even get why there is such a fanwar going on here. Shingeki is an slightly above average manga with lots of problems but still better than stuff like Naruto or Bleach. One Piece has imho a lot of problems ever since Imped Down arc but it still is way above average as well. Stop proclaiming your series has no flaws.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
VudisJun 9, 2014 5:58 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jun 9, 2014 3:02 AM

Oct 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
You know, keragamming...the difference between HxH and SnK is that hxH features tons of well-crafted worldbuilding whereas SnK has grade school level politics that you can find in hundreds of other manga. Maybe you should lay down the fanboyism a bit..
As others have said, you read stuff into thigns that is just not there.

To be honest I don't even get why there is such a fanwar going on here. Shingeki is an slightly above average manga with lots of problems but still better than stuff like Naruto or Bleach. One Piece has imho a lot of problems ever since Imped Down arc but it still is way above average as well. Stop proclaiming your series has no flaws.

I was just using hxh as a example. But u couldn't resist to try and downplay snk.

All I was doing is imputing my opinion to what Amiluhu said. If you find me as a annoying fanboy all you need to do is ignore my post.

Yes I think snk is a 10/10 masterpiece. Just like how you gave HxH a 10. and imo, the best it can get from me is a 8. And that was because of Hisoka and the phantom troupe arc. Chimera ant arc was just so generic and disappointing. A few good episodes here and there.

Have a nice day. :3

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
VudisJun 9, 2014 5:59 AM
Jun 9, 2014 7:05 AM

Mar 2009
Thread cleaned.
Removed spam, off topic and baiting.
Please remember that this is a topic about the manga/ln rankings in general, not a discussion topic for OP vs SNK, or something along those lines.
We have the anime sub-boards and/or the general shounen thread for that.
Jun 9, 2014 10:22 AM

Jun 2012
Vudis is a confirmed one piece fan
Jun 9, 2014 10:28 AM

Nov 2010
Vudis has confirmed great taste.
Jun 9, 2014 10:33 AM

Dec 2013
14. 1,803,007 Noragami
2ndseasonplspls
Jun 9, 2014 10:37 AM

Nov 2013
PillowFeatherbed said:
14. 1,803,007 Noragami
2ndseasonplspls

This.
C'mon Bones :|
Jun 10, 2014 3:28 AM

Nov 2012
Had no idea Mekaku City Actors was so popular, even more so than SAO and Mahouka. Pretty exciting that One Piece has finally been dethroned though that probably won't last too long. But if anything deserved to dethrone it, SnK definitely was it.
Jun 10, 2014 5:54 AM

Jun 2013
Miraclezify said:
Had no idea Mekaku City Actors was so popular, even more so than SAO and Mahouka. Pretty exciting that One Piece has finally been dethroned though that probably won't last too long. But if anything deserved to dethrone it, SnK definitely was it.

Well, Kagerou Project is very popular and mainstream in Japan.
(Have you seen Pixiv? It's overloaded with those.)
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
4 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
7 hours ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 9 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
8 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.