Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 11, 2014 6:49 PM

Jun 2013
Many of you who watched the movie in its entirety may have noticed this.

It of course bugged me to no end, so I took the initiative to decode it. This is what I got.

Amusingly enough, if would appear that the message was corrupted rather than encoded. Given the missing letters filled in by "?" and several occurrences where letters were omitted all together; I even had a duplicated word (the last "we" if you are curious). I took the liberty of cleaning it up as well.

Also, for all curious, this is the location of the coordinates mentioned in the letter.
http://tinyurl.com/llfz9b3

Not quite sure how this adds to the story, but it definitely seems its contents are of some significance.

edit [5/11/20]: fixed the broken image. Thought I ought to clean up after making my last post. To anyone reading this for the first time, well met! And have a nice day.
Weapon_MasterMay 11, 2020 10:29 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 12, 2014 11:11 AM

Dec 2011
Hi! I'm really impressed that You've decoded the letter!
I watched Sakasama no Patema today and it bothered me sooo much!
Of course I searched for codes and decodes...
I tried also square cipher method and some letters came out perfectly...but not the all...
Can I ask how you've solved it? What method have you used?
I would be grateful if you could answer asap XD
Thanks
May 12, 2014 1:14 PM

Sep 2007
Well done! I certainly appreciate your efforts!

May 12, 2014 8:18 PM

Jun 2013
Levi18 said:
I tried also square cipher method and some letters came out perfectly...but not the all...
Thanks

Its' a pretty simple code when it comes down to it. I can tell you that the only things you need are the image, a note pad, and a knowledge of the alphabet. See if you can get it on your own. It's a very satisfying experience. I'll go ahead and write out the answer for future generations and if you give up.
Weapon_MasterMay 15, 2014 2:59 PM
May 12, 2014 8:21 PM

Dec 2008
You are brilliant!! Thank you so much!!

When I looked at it, I was sure algorithms were involved. Just the thought of that possibility made me break out in hives and get sick to my stomach. I have a very bad case of Arithmophobia!
May 15, 2014 8:26 AM
Nov 2007
That's plain hexadecimal ascii.
http://www.asciitable.com/
May 15, 2014 1:53 PM

Jul 2013
Thanks.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2014 1:53 PM

Nov 2008
Nice job. Kudos to you. I was bothered by that email too.
So if the coordinates are right and they are on the opposite side of Earth then they are in the middle of Atlantic Ocean or rather somewhere in the east coast of America.
May 15, 2014 2:36 PM

Feb 2014
Blue_Qbe said:
So if the coordinates are right and they are on the opposite side of Earth then they are in the middle of Atlantic Ocean or rather somewhere in the east coast of America.

The exact opposite side of the Earth would be just off the coast of Uruguay/southern Brazil. So give them some leeway on "exact" and call it Uruguay.
May 15, 2014 2:55 PM

Jun 2013
Kaetemi said:
That's plain hexadecimal ascii.
http://www.asciitable.com/

Interesting. I thought it was a machine code of some sort; just didn't know what.
May 15, 2014 10:25 PM
May 2014
Blue_Qbe said:

They didn't say opposite side of the Earth, but the opposite side of the mantle, meaning, underside.

Though, they probably should've said the opposite side of the crust. As the mantle itself, was "hollowed out" to become the (under?)sky. And the core becoming an artificial sun or something (since it was cool during the "night").
May 16, 2014 2:46 PM

Sep 2008
Ishoku said:

Hannah_Ana said:

+1
May 17, 2014 7:27 PM

May 2012
Amazing! Thanks for figuring it out, is indeed nice to know what's actually written there!
May 18, 2014 12:41 AM
Dec 2013
Yeah, great work man! That letter was gibberish.
May 19, 2014 3:47 PM
Aug 2013
Undeguy said:
Blue_Qbe said:

They didn't say opposite side of the Earth, but the opposite side of the mantle, meaning, underside.

Though, they probably should've said the opposite side of the crust. As the mantle itself, was "hollowed out" to become the (under?)sky. And the core becoming an artificial sun or something (since it was cool during the "night").

No, they said it was on the reverse side of the Earth's axis, which means it's on the other side of the core of the earth.
May 21, 2014 5:49 PM

Dec 2012
Awesome, and impressive. Thank you for taking the time to decode the message. I was wondering what is said. Awesome work! =^-^=

It was indeed a refreshing and lovely movie. It's nice to see something original from time to time.
Jul 12, 2014 2:43 AM

Oct 2013
wow dam that's amazing
[/quote]
Jul 17, 2014 1:41 AM

Feb 2014
Wow man, that's awesome, thanks for decoding it :) I guess you really liked Sakasama no Patema XD. This movie is freaking awesome indeed.

Maybe it's an e-mail from the people above Aiga. I think they saw that flying machine of Age's father coming, then they put the letter/e-mail on his journal, thinking he would return to his flying machine.
Or maybe Age's father somehow received that from the people above or under Aiga when he was alive. It's pretty interesting.

I wish they could make a sequel or an epilogue of it. Wanted to see more of Patema x Age XD and what happened after the end of the movie and about that weird world/city above Aiga.
Nov 27, 2014 6:37 PM

Apr 2014
Nice catch! I was curious when I saw that but not enough to go look. Thanks for doing the leg work for us:)
---------My Profile------------
Dec 19, 2014 5:50 AM

Dec 2012
Thank you for the job !So, they survived. I loved this movie, but now I love it even more.
Dec 23, 2014 6:09 PM

Dec 2012
Thanks for decoding :')
Dec 23, 2014 6:12 PM

Jul 2012
Good job. Thanks!
Jan 18, 2015 12:13 AM

Nov 2014
thank you!

Feb 1, 2015 8:32 AM

Jan 2013
Good job with that.
I had a hunch that it pretty much meant some kind of cure or something. Nice to see the message.
May 1, 2015 6:44 PM
Feb 2015
The letter is from Aiga. Saying they've found one place that should be undamaged by the anti-gravity (they're almost 100%). The location given. Meaning there Aiga people can live together with the rest.
Second part, saying they tried to fix the damage but it seems it might not be possible. But they haven't given up. "We're sending this email everywhere on earth. We are here, We are alive." Basically saying we are waiting, they'll wait as long as possible. It's up to earth people to find that place and unite them.
Hence why (i think the current chief/elder) the elder said "you're dream might just come true" (lagos' dream of uniting them).
In the end that was a really nice ending. Though would have been better if it wasn't coded so more people could know -_-
I'm hoping for an epilogue of them living together.
Jun 5, 2015 9:15 PM

Jul 2009
Thanks for decoding!

Some interesting info. Guess Patema 2 can be made when rebuilding of the new civilization starts :)
Oct 22, 2015 6:48 AM
Mar 2015
Thank you.
Nov 17, 2015 8:27 AM
Nov 2015
But who wrote the email? The Aiga people or Patema's people?
Nov 20, 2015 7:17 PM
Jul 2007
I was starting to decode it, and then figured out that it could have already been done here =P Glad I came soon enough...

For those wondering about the coordinates, could be more of a message to everyone watching the animation.

Consider that the author is japanese and his expected audience is also japanese in general. He then chooses that location in Japan so that it looks reachable in the real world to most of his audience (it's at least an area slightly isolated and maybe stars can be seen there). Anybody there can look at the sky and imagine another world, as if there was someone up there waiting to be found.

It's meant to be spread to everyone in the world. It's an email and they are using all networks still operating. Maybe the author just wants that whoever understands the message to spread it all over the world. A message of hope maybe...

Please, I'm not talking about aliens. Think something more poetic...
rzippertNov 20, 2015 7:22 PM
Nov 26, 2015 12:10 AM

Dec 2008
It almost seems like the opposite of where that location was , was either somewhere in canada or upstate NY. DAMN you google maps lol. Gj on the decode of the message btw. THe story was fairly predictable, but still it was nice enough.
Jan 18, 2016 6:52 PM

Feb 2010
LittleStar said:
Ishoku said:

Hannah_Ana said:

+1
Likewise, glad people that aren't as lazy as myself are still around ;D

May 11, 2016 8:58 PM

Jun 2013
Today marks the double anniversary of a weekend passed and many hours spent attempting what I though might be impossible (for my not so problem-solving practiced mind) all when I should have been studying for my Sophomore finals. In the end I thus emerged victorious over the foe I had sought to slay and hath reaped the rewards. Also rewatching the movie this weekend for nostalgia's sake, it's been a while. In all seriousness I look back fondly to that afternoon I spent glued to the computer using all my reasoning skill to try and decode that monster of a letter you are all now familiar with. To all you who've dropped a comment to give your appreciation, I just want to let you know that seeing those notification's and reading your replies made my day on those days. In all honesty I'm not as smart as you've all made me out to be, but I'll take it. On that note (i'm probably being over philosophical at this point, but what'ev) a word of kindness or appreciation is never wasted, and you never know when someone might need it. Senior Finals be next week with college to follow after the summer. In the spirit of such major and scary/exciting changes, here's a word of encouragement for any who read this (not my words). "You are exactly where you need to be to get to where ever you are going." So start walking down the path you want to see yourself at the end of, for it is quite possible to reach it, even if it is as far as the opposite side of the earth's axis.

Watashi no yuujin, o genki-ni taizai-ne.
~WM
Jun 28, 2016 10:35 AM

Jan 2015
That was amazing, thanks!
Jul 20, 2016 5:22 AM

Aug 2015
Thanks .... It really helped a lot ///..... :)
when I start to move ahead...crossed the limit of death !!! (MyAnimeList - NOOB CLUB)

Aug 18, 2016 6:28 PM
Aug 2016
Hello! This is a message from a distant future from the moment the letter was decoded! I thank you, kind and resourceful stranger, for having done such an amazing job! It's the first time I see this movie (won't be the last though) and the letter at the end was bothering me a lot!
Sincerely impressed with the time and dedication you put up!! Must have been a fun puzzle :D

Hopefully you'll still read this and maybe go and watch this awesome movie again? :)
Thanks again and have a terrific day!
Lafwyn
Nov 7, 2016 7:51 PM

Jun 2007
Thank you! Thank you!
Dec 3, 2016 3:59 AM

Sep 2014
Really impressive that you decoded Hex Ascii codes without knowing about Ascii or that the numbers were in the Hex base.

Weapon_Master said:
Senior Finals be next week with college to follow after the summer. In the spirit of such major and scary/exciting changes, here's a word of encouragement for any who read this (not my words). "You are exactly where you need to be to get to where ever you are going." So start walking down the path you want to see yourself at the end of, for it is quite possible to reach it, even if it is as far as the opposite side of the earth's axis.

Nice quote, and I hope that college is going well for you.
Mirai, zura~!
Dec 30, 2016 11:23 PM

Jun 2016
Really well met good sir!
WAKE THE FUCK UP DEADMAN!
May 4, 2020 10:54 PM
Sep 2015
It's a long time since i stumbled on this forum,just passing by to say thanks
May 11, 2020 10:20 AM

Jun 2013
nelson_a said:
It's a long time since i stumbled on this forum,just passing by to say thanks

You're quite welcome. This also reminded me that the post anniversary was coming up, so double win.

And so, here's another trademark rambling for you and anyone else that pops in on occasion.

It has been 4 years since the last post, 6 since I first posted. My grammar and word choice has not aged well, lol. Still, it's weird looking back and remembering that I was once a highshool student, having now graduated from college. Makes me feel like I've come a long way, but at the same time I remember the person who wrote this post 6 years ago so well that it feels like nothing has changed at all. I think growing up is a myth. Age and experience is just a thousand imperceptible changes over a large amount of time. I'm bolder, more social, and and a bit wiser than I was back then, but I'm still a romantic that likes to obsess over the imagery in anime movies. Is there a point to this? Probably not, you know what you signed up for. If anything, I guess I'll note that who you are is a running average of who you try to become. Your efforts are not wasted, especially if you put forth that effort every day. I wish I had spent more days putting forth an effort, but now I'm in a position where I understand that, so here's to the next 4 years (kanpai).

I watched the film again as per tradition (though I think I've missed a few years). I noticed an unsolved mystery. There's a little note at the back of Age's father's notebook by Lagos, saying his dream is written on the back of the photograph in the notebook. We never get to see the back, but the encoded letter was tucked behind that, so I can only assume it's related. There's a couple other details I noticed again that I found charming, like the little hourglass with inverted sand that is Lagos' keepsake. It was probably made by him and Age's father and then gets carried around by Patema and Age. It's sort of a motif for combining worldviews and accepting differences, which is what the film is about imo.

No witty quote this time around. (Unless you want to quote my own ramblings, God help you). Anyway, I got to make a trip to Japan this year, it's a wonderful beautiful place and I'd love to go back some day. Maybe eventually I'll find a way to infiltrate the country club were the letter coordinates are. (maybe they'll let me in if I ask nicely? Better keep practicing my Japanese.)

Let's wrap up. I think I'm going to retire this thread as a place to post random thoughts. It's been fun to have ownership of a tiny corner of the internet, but it looks like things have slowed down here. (unless it gets a sudden surge in popularity I have to address.) If I do ever make it to the letter's coordinates, you can expect a new thread by me in the forum. (To my knowledge no else else has done so).

To those of you who have left a comment or will leave one in the future, thanks again for making my day a little brighter. Until next time.
~WM.
Jun 2, 2020 3:24 PM

Dec 2018
Weapon_Master said:

It of course bugged me to no end, so I took the initiative to decode it. This is what I got.

Amusingly enough, if would appear that the message was corrupted rather than encoded. Given the missing letters filled in by "?" and several occurrences where letters were omitted all together; I even had a duplicated word (the last "we" if you are curious). I took the liberty of cleaning it up as well.

Also, for all curious, this is the location of the coordinates mentioned in the letter.

Not quite sure how this adds to the story, but it definitely seems its contents are of some significance.

edit [5/11/20]: fixed the broken image. Thought I ought to clean up after making my last post. To anyone reading this for the first time, well met! And have a nice day.

dayum, thanks for the letter's decode!!
Also, I see you with that "location" on your profile
Jun 15, 2020 5:29 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Dude, you are indeed the savior. Thank you!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 20, 2020 10:27 AM

Nov 2019
Whoa thanks a lot man for decoding that letter. It had me interested more than the film's premise (which was already ingenious)...
"The only thing humans are equal in is death."

Aug 4, 2020 3:50 PM
Aug 2019
thank you so much for the decode of the mail.

In the end Aiga people are the one who got inverted in truth, assuming the speech of the granfather guardian and the mail content. really really nice.
Jan 30, 2021 2:56 PM

Jun 2017
Weapon_Master said:

awesome work man! Just watched this movie, so thanks for your effort :D.
Apr 3, 2021 8:37 PM
Apr 2021
I created a MAL account just to thank you for this and express my appreciation for your periodic ramblings throughout the years. It’s cool that you keep coming back, after 7 years. To many more!

P.S. You are clearly smarter than you think, based on your ability/willpower to decode this and how you write - give yourself some credit
Jun 9, 2021 1:06 PM
Mar 2017
Seriously tysm !!! I didnt fully understand the ending partially cuz of that but assumed it was smthn related to the incident or world / gravity but now knowing they were able to have a place that was truly united and that there were survivors was really great !! I was wondering if anyone did survive cuz there was seemingly still no one in the sky and the new place they found at the end, def a relief tho knowing this after just watching the movie, thnx again!
Sep 10, 2021 12:08 PM
Mar 2013
Thanks for the decode, my man! It's a good Easter egg and quite a rewarding one at that.
Sep 15, 2021 8:00 AM
Mar 2020
Saya18 said:
Thanks
thank you for your work.my brain already is out of sugar
Jun 22, 2022 6:51 PM

Jun 2022
Just created a MAL Account just to thank you man.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakasama no Patema Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takanakaiyo - Oct 12, 2013

245 by ZER0PT »»
Feb 21, 1:24 PM

» So what exactly is good about this movie?

Nyron - Dec 28, 2014

34 by maximovich »»
Jan 17, 5:35 PM

» Is Sakasama no Patema a romance?

Hosny - Jul 20, 2017

5 by waalex11 »»
Jan 10, 9:23 AM

» Children? Spoiler

PirateMadryk - Apr 30, 2017

7 by Seiya0890 »»
Dec 31, 2023 4:11 PM

» can someone explain the end to me (spoilers)

Scootboi - May 22, 2014

22 by Scootboi »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.