Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2014 10:33 AM

Mar 2014
Cheesekao said:
a_cloud said:
Eps 1 and 2 were 10/10 for me. This was barely 3/5.

I was so hyped by the whole setup, but this "chess game" or strategy call it whatever you want totally ruined my mood for it.
I believe the reason is the use of magic. I thought the concept was about fair battles that can drain the full of our main characters' potential, let em be baddass and owning.
Meaning Shiro owning fair battles and Sora spot the use of magic and embarrasingly win the game. The whole "yeah you use magic but cant prove it so i will go low -as to kneel in front of goddamn pawns-" was just...bad.

For me this was a parody episode, i hope it doesnt keep going to that direction.

You might as well drop this right now if you're not a fan of that. Based on the LNs, it doesn't take itself seriously most of the time.

I will keep watching a bit more, still have expectations for ingenious (mind) games mostly. And anyway Sora and Shiro are such an amazing duo dammit, i want Sora to have the expression he had with Kurumi while saying "This is yours, for now." with the epic background tones when he beats his opponents. Don't get me wrong, i love the whole virgin-theme as well as Sora's reactions, but not in a serious game.
And im sorry, im stuck there. Flirting pawns? Seriously? That was too much...
Everybody has the right to have his own opinion on something.And you do have the right to disagree with them.But that doesnt give you the right to impose your opinion on others, even though you do have the right to think you are fucking awesome.
Apr 23, 2014 10:34 AM
Dec 2012
Another epic episode.

It was greatly adapted from the LN considering that only have ~22 min for each.

Can't wait for the next ep and the end of the match.

Sentance of ep:
"By my authority as king, anyone who fights valiantly in this battle will earn the right to bang any woman they like!"

Gamer5 No Game No Life fan 4 life.
Apr 23, 2014 10:35 AM

Jul 2013
That was absolutely amazing.
The 8-bit OST, the references, the games, the speech. I couldn't stop smiling.
And I was surprised the practical lack of fanservice.
Apr 23, 2014 10:36 AM
Feb 2013
awwwwww god, this series is amazing. Too bad we didn't get to see the whole chess game this episode
Apr 23, 2014 10:42 AM
Oct 2012
and just when i thought they could not top the last episode... IT GETS BETTER!
Apr 23, 2014 10:48 AM

Mar 2014
That was frigging hilarious.
I like my comedy to be insane.
Apr 23, 2014 10:48 AM

Mar 2014
Well that was an entertaining game of chess. I love how this manages to surprise me everytime. Love the references!
Apr 23, 2014 10:49 AM

Aug 2009
I swear all of THESE PHOENIX WRIGHT REFERENCES and the not black outlines and the 8-bit ost indeed.
I didn't know you've turned to the dark side, considering them red eyes and all, Mr. Udgey.

It's been a long time since I've had so much fun watching an episode.
Apr 23, 2014 10:49 AM

Feb 2013
The imotou is just so KAWAAAAIIIIiiiii :3 absolutely loving this series. Prolly one of my favourites if not my favourite. Just, how does one think of a story like this?? I would love chess if it was similar to this haha sure, it's stupid and ridiculous how he's basically flirting with the pieces, but don't forget, it's an ANIME! It would definitely be boring if all we saw was just plain old chess and some hidden cheats and secrets here and there. That thinking/casual type of setting has already been done a thousand times, so enjoy the change a bit more; but to each their own :) in the end, anime is eventually subjective in the eyes of the beholder.

can't wait for the next episode tho - it can only get better XD (i hope :P )
giamonApr 23, 2014 10:53 AM
Apr 23, 2014 10:52 AM

Jul 2009
The only disappointment is that they couldn't fit the entire chess match in one episode.
'Everything is impossible until proven possible.' - Me

Apr 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Jul 2010
Really good. Better than the first two episodes.

I'll keep watching.
Hyuga Junpei: “Yeah… I’m confident… Because my teammates will help me out! I can shoot confidently.. because it will be okay even if I miss!”

Kagami Taiga: “I don’t know about being the bad guy or whatever. It’s only in stories where titles like that decide the loser. This is our show. We’re the ones who are writing the script.”
Apr 23, 2014 10:56 AM

Feb 2014
As soon as I saw the chess board I immediately thought of Harry Potter, but it was really good the way it was done, it made chess seem like the most exciting game ever!
All the references were in the ep, they might end up overdoing it
"Even if we lose by 100 points, there's still a chance a meteor will strike the other team's bench in the last second"

- Kuroko Tetsuya
Apr 23, 2014 11:04 AM

Jun 2013
epic episode!!

one thing that bothers me is one of the rules of this world:
If u don't get caught cheating u are fine. but HOW can someone get caught ? i mean she says its fine to use magic cuz Sora can't prove anything..

Isn't it obvious that she is cheating ? what more proof do u need, i mean turning the enemy pieces into your own.. something must be wrong!!

it was a fun episode but I prefered the games were based on intelligence and strategy.. not.. this.. I dont even know how to call it.. madness ?

Nvertheless, if u don't take it seriously its an EPIC episode, really fun to watch
Apr 23, 2014 11:06 AM

Sep 2013
When Sora gave his speech and turned the chess match around, I got chills.
This show is amazing.
Apr 23, 2014 11:10 AM

Dec 2012
That was hilariously awesome. This series is looking pretty good so far, I just hope there's more seriousness later on.
Apr 23, 2014 11:13 AM

Apr 2013
This show is bad!

OBJECTION!! 5/5 That judge is just man, he's even in here.
Apr 23, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2014
Noo why did you have to end in a cliffhanger!! ;_;
Now i have to wait a week before I can see their amazing comeback... A w e s o m e episode.
Apr 23, 2014 11:16 AM

Dec 2012
That was amazing! They went all out with those references. Phoenix Wright objection complete with the courtroom music and lookalike judge lol

Aug 2008
LOL @JoJo reference!

I don't care if this is iillogical, this is hilarious XD

Feb 2013
Sora is a fucking genius! hahaha
Shiro cuteness and that jojo reference, perfect.
Apr 23, 2014 11:18 AM

Jan 2014
OMG this series is awesome. Im totally like Sora and my little sister is like Shiro. They are so awesome, and Sora's speech, priceless. CUTENESS FTW
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2014 11:31 AM
Nov 2013
it's that stupid "F*ck you" Gurren Lagann-style logic that's really gotten me into this show
Apr 23, 2014 11:31 AM

Jun 2009
To be quite honest, I find myself very disappointed with how this show seems to turn out.
I was ultra hyped for this anime after the first episode. I adore the art style (probably my favorite style ever) and I love the setting. I wanted it to become my favorite anime of all times, I tried so hard. But ever since episode 2, I just sit there and think "This shit is retarded".

I was hoping for a very intelligent series, with mind games, sudden twists and two characters whose brilliance would leave me in awe. Unfortunately, there is nothing intelligent behind the games. They seem to have no strategy or rules involved what-so-ever and the viewer is unable to follow anything logically. They just randomly throw in some cheating mechanism or "rules" for the heck of it, but there's nothing brilliant behind it. Sora tries too hard to be bad-ass and it starts to bore me, since despite the horrendous randomness of the games, Sora is sure to have figured it out, looking bad-assy at his opponent and throws out some quotes that somehow most of the audience seems to deem "cool". I don't even. And then the series completely stops to take itself seriously, throwing some moe-shit and bizarre, unfitting comedy into the mix, which leaves me embarrassed while watching the show that I wanted to love.

The show definitely has its moments, and those are the reasons I will try to keep on watching, but I feel it gave away the opportunity to become something magnificent - in order to become a mindless spectacle that wants you to switch off your brain.
しょうがない。
Apr 23, 2014 11:32 AM
Feb 2013
Wow, a tweaked up chess game, nice move Shiro and sora.
Apr 23, 2014 11:34 AM

Jan 2009
1. I must be the different one who didn't like this ep. Ik it's not supposed to be a regular chess game, but the way it just kept adding random stuff... It just all came off as extremely crazy, especially hearing sora scream like a psycho

2. I'll try and forget about this episode.

1/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 23, 2014 11:37 AM

Jun 2013
Objection! Man I love to say that!
Apr 23, 2014 11:38 AM

Oct 2011
EPIC!!!!!!!!!!
Apr 23, 2014 11:38 AM

Jun 2010
my heart hurts from imouto and laughter. Send help
Apr 23, 2014 11:43 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Incredibly ridiculous yet also amazingly hilarious XD I never expected much from this to begin with since it was on my maybe-PTW for this season due to the tags that I tend to avoid. But wow, I am seriously glad I picked it up because it's so entertaining! The first part of the episode was okay, but the whole chess game was great. Although it didn't involve any real strategy like some peope may have wanted to seen, I think it was interesting how it became less of a game and more leaning towards a real life battle (minus the virgin and loli persuasions). I liked how Sora understood that it for pieces that have their own will, the soldiers need to have high morale to fight, just like on a battlefield. Even if there was no intelligent play or anything, Sora still played "smart" as he changed his view on what the game truly was.

Lastly, just have to mention that Matsuoka Yoshitsugu's voice acting is amazing. For some reason, I really liked the part where he intercepts the queen on the chess board and then gasps at the sword that stopped at a dangerousy close distance to his face. I replayed that part like three times lol
Apr 23, 2014 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
This so far has been one of the best shows this season.

I love Sora as the MC, he's awesome. And I don't think I've ever seen a more intense chess match.

I'm really tempted to start reading the Light Novel. But I'll try and wait it out until the show is finished.
Apr 23, 2014 11:46 AM

Jul 2013
tingy said:
Lastly, just have to mention that Matsuoka Yoshitsugu's voice acting is amazing. lol

This^
Apr 23, 2014 11:50 AM

Jul 2013
ffffs best anime i've seen in a while
Apr 23, 2014 11:54 AM

Apr 2014
now this is some next level shit, they completely bastardized game of chess but it was frickin awesome! loved it
Apr 23, 2014 11:59 AM

Mar 2011
"By my authority as king anyone who fights valiantly in this battle will earn the right to bang any woman they like!"
That's one way to motivate the soldiers LOL
And Shiro was seriously cute in this episode! Actually scratch that, she is CUTE in every friggin' episode!
Looking forward to the next one~
Do you like cakes?
You don't like cakes?
I like cakes.
Apr 23, 2014 12:00 PM
Mar 2014
zaharel said:
If u don't get caught cheating u are fine. but HOW can someone get caught ? i mean she says its fine to use magic cuz Sora can't prove anything..

Isn't it obvious that she is cheating ? what more proof do u need, i mean turning the enemy pieces into your own.. something must be wrong!!

This is just my interpretation. Turning enemy pieces into your own isn't cheating, because Sora did it without any magic at all.

Kurami is simply cheating because her Charisma attribute is boosted to the max through elf magic. If Sora managed to be super charismatic, the pieces would turn to his side, too (and some did).
Apr 23, 2014 12:01 PM

Dec 2012
I think that this episode is the separator; the people who like the comedy/serious mix type of anime will stay, the ones who prefer a more serious/less random outlook might drop this anime after this episode.
Apr 23, 2014 12:04 PM
Apr 2014
I'm surprised by how many fans this has ! Is the LN really that good ?
Apr 23, 2014 12:06 PM

Nov 2013
Horry shiet, thats one hell of a chess match.
Apr 23, 2014 12:07 PM

Apr 2012
this was so fuckin random LOL

weirdest game of chess ever

Apr 23, 2014 12:12 PM

Jul 2013
LazyFox23 said:
I'm surprised by how many fans this has ! Is the LN really that good ?

Considering its anime adaptation was announced when only four volumes were out at the time, I'm going to guess this has a lot of fans.

And I haven't read the novels yet as I'm going to wait until the show finishes. But the first two volumes are translated on Baka Tsuki if you want to check them out. But if the LNs are as good as the show has been so far, then yes, they are that good.
Apr 23, 2014 12:15 PM

Mar 2013
Okay that ridiculousness made this anime for me lol! Definitely watching this until the end xD. Could see how people expected a very mind game heavy, psychological warfare like game, but too be honest this is unique and interesting in its own way.
Apr 23, 2014 12:16 PM
Oct 2012
zaharel said:

Ah, see that is the catch, they know she is cheating, they even know how she is cheating, but they can't prove how she is doing it yet. What you cited wasn't "proof".

The rule isn't there to punish cheaters, it is there to punish people who can't cheat well, it actually rewards good cheaters by making it easier for them to win (bad cheaters will avoid even trying, leaving the good cheaters at an even bigger advantage). Remember, the God of this world is a trickster, tricksters aren't interested in being fair (this is not a spoiler btw, just conjecture based on the animation). The ultimate question for this series is "why" the god invited the pair here in the first place. I have a pretty good guess on that.

If the chess pieces could talk, then they could probably prove she was cheating, because then the pieces could say that something was influencing them outside of "charisma", but short of that, I can't see how they could prove it yet, though I think we may learn next episode.
Apr 23, 2014 12:23 PM

Mar 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
zaharel said:

Ah, see that is the catch, they know she is cheating, they even know how she is cheating, but they can't prove how she is doing it yet. What you cited wasn't "proof".

The rule isn't there to punish cheaters, it is there to punish people who can't cheat well, it actually rewards good cheaters by making it easier for them to win (bad cheaters will avoid even trying, leaving the good cheaters at an even bigger advantage). Remember, the God of this world is a trickster, tricksters aren't interested in being fair (this is not a spoiler btw, just conjecture based on the animation). The ultimate question for this series is "why" the god invited the pair here in the first place. I have a pretty good guess on that.

If the chess pieces could talk, then they could probably prove she was cheating, because then the pieces could say that something was influencing them outside of "charisma", but short of that, I can't see how they could prove it yet, though I think we may learn next episode.

i'm guessing no one realized that the Phones they have can detect if the opponent is using magic. that is why they were snapping so many pictures.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now, this anime makes me feel good :D kinda like Sao but replaced the drama w/ comedy.
Apr 23, 2014 12:25 PM

Jun 2013
I seriously had no expections because of the tags. But then I saw the PV and it looked good so I decided to watch this. Best decision of my life. I actually enjoy the randomness and it's really entertaining for me. I just hope that this does not get repetitive since I do want different types of games and different ways to play them. Pretty sure this will happen. Also I'll probably check out the light novel.
tingy said:
Lastly, just have to mention that Matsuoka Yoshitsugu's voice acting is amazing. For some reason, I really liked the part where he intercepts the queen on the chess board and then gasps at the sword that stopped at a dangerousy close distance to his face. I replayed that part like three times lol

This. I really like his voice. I'm sad though that some people only remember him because of Kirito. I think he has done way more better roles than Kirito.
Apr 23, 2014 12:29 PM
Feb 2012
Damn that was pretty intense!!!
Apr 23, 2014 12:30 PM

Sep 2012
I personally thought this was the weakest episode yet, when the chess game started, it got too silly, too stupid, too fast. Also i'm starting to dislike shiro now, went from a kinda cute quiet type character to a try hard moe character, meh.

This other JoJo reference and PW was kinda cool tho
BeautifulDuwangApr 23, 2014 12:38 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2014 12:35 PM

Nov 2008
Let me just leave this here.

Awesome episode, loved the Phoenix Wright reference, really didn't expect that.
Apr 23, 2014 12:36 PM

Apr 2010
Whelp, AOTCentury has been decided.
Apr 23, 2014 12:40 PM

Oct 2011
This show is retarded, yet enjoyable.

Apr 23, 2014 12:42 PM

Apr 2014
Uber_Dewber said:
I think that this episode is the separator; the people who like the comedy/serious mix type of anime will stay, the ones who prefer a more serious/less random outlook might drop this anime after this episode.

I'm on the borderline now. Not because I can't enjoy a comedy/serious mix type of anime but because my expectation was for the more ridiculous comedy to be outside of the games rather than an integral part of them. I'll give it another couple of episodes though, maybe it'll grow on me.
Pages (12) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

622 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 21, 5:21 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.