Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Shinmai Maou no Testament' Receives Anime Adaptation

New
Mar 19, 2014 8:33 AM

Nov 2007
According to Thursday's issue of Dragon Age magazine, the light novel Shinmai Maou no Testament (The Testament of Sister New Devil) will receive an anime adaptation. Tesuto Uesu's series debuted in October 2012, and the fifth volume will be released at the end of March. Volume 4 ranked eighth of all light novels in its first week on the Oricon sales charts.

Nekosuke Ookuma illustrates the series, which has also inspired two manga adaptations. Another of Uesu's light novels, Hagure Yuusha no Estetica, was adapted into a TV anime in Summer 2012.

Synopsis
"Hey, you said you wanted a little sister, right?" First year highschool student, Toujo Basara, was suddenly asked by his father and fell into a state of panic. On top of that, the eccentric father told him he will be getting remarried. He then departed overseas after bringing Basara two beautiful step-sisters. But Mio and Maria's true forms are actually the newbie Demon Lord and a succubus?! Basara was almost entered into a master and servant contract with Mio, but a "reversed" contract was formed by mistake, and Basara is now the master!? Moreover, Basara is being hit by ecchi situation one after another due to the contract, but Mio's life is being pursued by other demon tribes and hero tribes!! The most powerful contractor's desire action drama begins! (Source: MU)

Source: ANN, 0takomu

News submitted by Nidhoeggr

Shinmai Maou no Testament on MAL
tsubasaloverApr 10, 2014 1:35 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 19, 2014 8:41 AM

Nov 2011
inb4 pages of pages of hate.

OT :
Sounds like your typical harem/love triangle, but we'll see.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 19, 2014 8:43 AM

Dec 2011
Not a series I'm personally interested in. Hagure Yuusha burned me hard, and this one doesn't even sound as though it should be good, so I think this is a safe pass for me.

edit: typo
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 19, 2014 8:51 AM
Mar 2010
Since the manga was scanlated, I went through the first few chapters. It's a pass for me.

For the fans of the genre though, enjoy.

P.S They'll probably censor the heck out of a certain scene in the third chapter.
phoenixaliaMar 19, 2014 8:54 AM
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 19, 2014 8:53 AM

Apr 2009
rederoin said:

OT :

Indeed; complete with imoutos, incest allusions, contracts that establish a sekaikei master-slave relationship and more!

It's hard to imagine when the influx of new generic LN adaptions will end.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Mar 19, 2014 8:55 AM

Aug 2010
I love the LN art. One of the best for it's genre with all the hotness.

So hope at least for a good budget studio with good character designs :3
Mar 19, 2014 8:56 AM

Jul 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
rederoin said:

OT :

Indeed; complete with imoutos, incest allusions, contracts that establish a sekaikei master-slave relationship and more!

They'll end when they stop selling well. Though I can't imagine that happening any time soon.
Mar 19, 2014 8:57 AM

Dec 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
rederoin said:

OT :

More like its hard to imagine when people conveniently adding things to the list of what counts as generic will end.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 19, 2014 8:58 AM

Jul 2013
I like the art style. And yes I know its generic to no end. But I'm a fan of Light Novels, so I'll probably watch it.

Edit: I'm also surprised that this is getting an adaptation when its only 5 volumes long so far. Though the same happened with Black Bullet.
Mar 19, 2014 9:00 AM

Apr 2009
Lefty112 said:

They'll end when they stop selling well. Though I can't imagine that happening any time soon.

Next seasons are quite stuffed, I don't think all adaptions will make profit.

kuuderes_shadow said:

More like its hard to imagine when people conveniently adding things to the list of what counts as generic will end.

Please tell me what is original about this then? I am sure almost all of your points that make this anime unique will be found in other recent LN adaptions as well. It's no shame to admit you like generic and mediocre anime.

Lefty112 said:

Edit: I'm also surprised that this is getting an adaptation when its only 5 volumes long so far. Though the same happened with Black Bullet.

Maybe the cycles between the first volume and adaptions become shorter because the industry officials try to rush out new series to ride the wave of this trend?
Mar 19, 2014 9:03 AM

Nov 2012
is it gonna be another harem with utterly brainless character ?

with so many come and go harem anime nowadays makes me really bored, or probably it's become the main otaku's fetish atm....

not sure if want....
Mar 19, 2014 9:04 AM

Dec 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
Lefty112 said:

kuuderes_shadow said:

Please tell me what is original about this then? I am sure almost all of your points that make this anime unique will be found in other recent LN adaptions as well. It's no shame to admit you like generic and mediocre anime.

I've already said I have no interest in watching this, but since when has 'a sekaikei master-slave relationship' (as listed in your post) been a generic feature of light novels? Or rather, of light novels that get anime adaptations - I am aware that it shows up fairly often in the sort of hentai/erotic Light Novels that never get anime.

Edit: I'm also surprised that this is getting an adaptation when its only 5 volumes long so far.

There's no date for the anime's airing yet, and 4 volumes per cours of anime is fairly standard. I don't see a problem in that respect.
Mar 19, 2014 9:06 AM

Nov 2013
Great News
Mar 19, 2014 9:09 AM

Jul 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Lefty112 said:

That's true, I didn't think about that. Not everything can be Mahouka and SAO as far as profits are concerned (I know Mahouka hasn't started yet, but I can't imagine that it won't profit well).

kuuderes_shadow said:

Isn't calling something mediocre more your opinion? Rather than fact? I'm not saying this anime will be anything special, good or bad for that matter. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to manga and anime as I'm sure your tastes and mine are different in their own way. So why immediately claim someone's taste as mediocre or bad just because its different from yours?
Mar 19, 2014 9:10 AM

Nov 2008
ranzero said:

with so many come and go harem anime nowadays makes me really bored, or probably it's become the main otaku's fetish atm....

not sure if want....

Yeah I'm experiencing the boredom and worse distaste in many of the new ecchi series this year, 2014 is the worst year for this genre to date. Also, the little sister concept needs to take a 1-3 year hiatus for anime adaptations it's getting bad enough that I don't even want anything to do with them anymore.

Mar 19, 2014 9:12 AM

Feb 2009
Ironic that the one who hates these types of stories submitted the news story.

Didn't see that one coming. Can't say this is original or anything but I find the manga entertaining and that's what counts for me. inb4 I have shit taste.
I'm 80% sure Arms will animate this. Them or ZEXCS. Either way, will watch and will read the LN in the meantime.
Mar 19, 2014 9:14 AM

Apr 2009
kuuderes_shadow said:
I've already said I have no interest in watching this, but since when has 'a sekaikei master-slave relationship' (as listed in your post) been a generic feature of light novels? Or rather, of light novels that get anime adaptations - I am aware that it shows up fairly often in the sort of hentai/erotic Light Novels that never get anime.

Doesn't Dragonar Academy feature a similar master-servant contract?
What about Blade Dance? I have only read the synopsis for that, but it seems to be not that rare in the upcoming adaptions. And as you said yourself, it is fairly common in the genre novels that thankfully don't get adapted.

Hoppy said:
Isn't calling something mediocre more your opinion? Rather than fact? I'm not saying this anime will be anything special, good or bad for that matter. Everyone has different tastes when it comes to manga and anime as I'm sure your tastes and mine are different in their own way. So why immediately claim someone's taste as mediocre or bad just because its different from yours?

I talk about the writing here. And when you use only common tropes, tired cliches and done-to-death plot devices and get an author whose style and previous works in no way indicate that he is anything special you will most likely get an average product. Of course, that is not related to the personal enjoyment you may discover when consuming said product. However, enjoyment is never completely equal to quality.
NidhoeggrMar 19, 2014 9:17 AM
Mar 19, 2014 9:15 AM

Nov 2011
I knew this might get an anime adaptation someday. Wonder what studio will anime it.
Mar 19, 2014 9:16 AM
Aug 2012
ranzero said:

not sure if want....

Nope the MC is quite capable in this one.........not on the level of Akatsuki but not bad either.

Hoppy said:
ranzero said:

not sure if want....

Yeah I'm experiencing the boredom and worse distaste in many of the new ecchi series this year, 2014 is the worst year for this genre to date. Also, the little sister concept needs to take a 1-3 year hiatus for anime adaptations it's getting bad enough that I don't even want anything to do with them anymore.

Same can be said for lolis and cutesy shit and idol stuff that we see so often these days, more so than little sister type but you would probably get butthurt because of that........

Mar 19, 2014 9:19 AM

Apr 2009
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Hoppy said:
ranzero said:

not sure if want....

Same can be said for lolis and cutesy shit and idol stuff that we see so often these days, more so than little sister type but you would probably get butthurt because of that........

Imagine a season without harems, romcoms, LN adaptions, ecchi series, 4girl moe SoL Seinen 4koma adaptions and edgy action Shounen...
Mar 19, 2014 9:23 AM

Nov 2008
Nidhoeggr said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Hoppy said:
ranzero said:

not sure if want....

Imagine a season without harems, romcoms, LN adaptions, ecchi series, 4girl moe SoL Seinen 4koma adaptions and edgy Shounen...

No anime would air that season except reruns.

Mar 19, 2014 9:24 AM

Jan 2008
Nidhoeggr said:

Imagine a season without harems, romcoms, LN adaptions, ecchi series, 4girl moe SoL Seinen 4koma adaptions and edgy action Shounen...

Empty season?

As for the Anime:
The character looking nice. Something. Also it seems the guy is not the usual "Rito weak" person, more of the person who can fight. If it's like DxD then it's a win for me.

Count me in for red hair bishoujou Maou girl.
Mar 19, 2014 9:26 AM

Jul 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
kuuderes_shadow said:

Doesn't Dragonar Academy feature a similar master-servant contract?
What about Blade Dance? I have only read the synopsis for that, but it seems to be not that rare in the upcoming adaptions. And as you said yourself, it is fairly common in the genre novels that thankfully don't get adapted.

Hoppy said:

I talk about the writing here. And when you use only common tropes, tired cliches and done-to-death plot devices and get an author whose style and previous works in no way indicate that he is anything special you will most likely get an average product. Of course, that is not related to the personal enjoyment you may discover when consuming said product. However, enjoyment is never completely equal to quality.

Fair enough assessment. I personally wouldn't look at it the same way. But to each his own.
Mar 19, 2014 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

Imagine a season without harems, romcoms, LN adaptions, ecchi series, 4girl SoL Seinen 4koma adaptions and edgy action Shounen...

It'd be a horrible season.

Mar 19, 2014 9:31 AM

Aug 2013
Rather than generic, i'd think of it as (decent) fantasy premise being overriden almost entirely by utterly crass gimmicks, to the point that the fantasy aspect utterly pales in comparison with the, oh, imouto and osananajimi that are thrown in for good measure (and just conveniently flock to the badass MC with 'ugh' tragic past) and doing all sort of zzz stuffs together which in itself, thankfully, manages to explain the "contract" thing, which in turn just degrade the worth of the series into half-assed titillation. Hence i'll pass, cause if i want titillation, i'd just go read some hentai.

The manga made me chuckle. In a bad way, though
Mar 19, 2014 9:32 AM

Jul 2012
`-` Meh manga didn't made any good impresion on me.I will put it on plan to watch with the rest of Not aired anime.Probably will stay there for a long long time.

I painted my teary face with a disguised smile[COLOR=#ff3333] and pretended it was a cry out of joy.[/COLOR]

Mar 19, 2014 9:33 AM

Jul 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:

Hoppy said:
ranzero said:

not sure if want....

There would be about three shows airing that season xD and I'm sure a lot of people (in Japan and everywhere else) would be sad.
Mar 19, 2014 9:41 AM
Dec 2011
Wouldn't be a news thread without Nidhoeggr assplaining everywhere lolz. the neckbeard has no limits!
Mar 19, 2014 9:41 AM

Mar 2011
I bet it will be animated by Arms.
Mar 19, 2014 9:50 AM

Jun 2012
rederoin said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Imagine a season without harems, romcoms, LN adaptions, ecchi series, 4girl SoL Seinen 4koma adaptions and edgy action Shounen...

Very true.

As for this adaptation, i have started read the manga not long ago, and i like it. I will be keeping an eye on this one.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Mar 19, 2014 9:51 AM

Dec 2012
Lefty112 said:
So why immediately claim someone's taste as mediocre or bad just because its different from yours?

If he doesn't insult the LN, the creators of the LN and the fans who enjoy them, how else can he feel better about his meager and pathetic self?

This is but the umpth time, he made literally the same type of useless rant. He even stepped it up a notch, by submitting the news himself, it reached the stage of being impatient, can't wait till his next ego booster.

Awesome another LN hate topic, it's going to be really insightful, reading the same toxic comments over and over again, which are even more generic and trite than their object of momentarily hate. Brilliant community, I mean honestly..
Mar 19, 2014 9:53 AM
Feb 2012
Nid and kuudere: I feel like if we were to lock you into a room and gave you a light novel to discuss, you'd eventually make out with each other.

On-topic: generic novel starring a highschooler doing blah blah blah. Easy pass.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 19, 2014 9:54 AM

Jan 2013
a loser show for loser people. may the teens fap to this.
NaturalPermMar 19, 2014 9:58 AM
Mar 19, 2014 9:56 AM

Apr 2009
Hoppy said:

No anime would air that season except reruns.

GREW said:

Empty season?

rederoin said:

Lefty112 said:

There would be about three shows airing that season xD and I'm sure a lot of people (in Japan and everywhere else) would be sad.

So much pessimism... We'd still be left with sports, horror, mecha, normal action shows, manga adaptions and a lot of other stuff!

If this hypothetical season would be Spring we'd have:
Abarenbou Kishi!! Matsutarou (sumo manga from the creator of Ashita no Joe),
Baby Steps (Praised sports manga),
Captain Earth (BONES mecha with star Driver staff),
Fairy Tail,
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders (both non-edgy Shounen with huge followings),
Mahou Shoujo Taisen (Gainax original show),
Mushishi S2 (one of the imho best anime of all times),
Ping Pong (Yuasa directing an adaption from the Tekkonkinkreet mangaka),
Sidonia no Kishi (Nihei manga adaption) and a lot of other stuff I can't remember right now.

And you know what? This sounds much more high quality overall than most recent seasons :D
Mar 19, 2014 9:56 AM

Jan 2013
Gonna read manga and check whether it's worth watching or not.
Mar 19, 2014 9:59 AM

Nov 2008
tsudecimo said:
Lefty112 said:
So why immediately claim someone's taste as mediocre or bad just because its different from yours?

If he doesn't insult the LN, the creators of the LN and the fans who enjoy them, how else can he feel better about his meager and pathetic self?

This is but the umpth time, he made literally the same type of useless rant. He even stepped it up a notch, by submitting the news himself, it reached the stage of being impatient, can't wait till his next ego booster.

Awesome another LN hate topic, it's going to be really insightful, reading the same toxic comments over and over again, which are even more generic and trite than their object of momentarily hate. Brilliant community, I mean honestly..

We're all tired of little sister LNs. Also, this would've been better if it took an approach similar to Date A Live instead of tacking on the tropes like some games have tacked on multiplayer just to sell more copies.

Mar 19, 2014 10:01 AM

Apr 2009
I'd really love an actual parody on all these LN. Not just in name, but in terms of content.

"My Light Novel with an ultralong name is getting adapted into an anime, and my cute sister is involved?!"
Mar 19, 2014 10:05 AM
Mar 2010
Nidhoeggr said:

Fairy Tail,
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders (both non-edgy Shounen with huge followings),
Sidonia no Kishi (Nihei manga adaption) and a lot of other stuff I can't remember right now.

Most of these shows will probably flop though...

I'm not questioning their quality or anything but these kind of anime don't sell usually...

My perfect season would be a season with equal number of shows for men and women. I don't mind the harem, cute girl shows, ecchi, whatever. I just want a season with at least 12-13 shows aimed at girls as well. Or rather, more than being aimed at girls, if more anime were gender balanced, I'd be content.

This is just my opinion and longing though...
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Mar 19, 2014 10:05 AM

May 2012
Genres: Action, Ecchi, Fantasy, Romance, Shounen
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/manga/2/118445.jpg
http://cdn.myanimelist.net/images/manga/1/105683.jpg

Something like that can't be bad.
Mar 19, 2014 10:06 AM
Dec 2011
tsudecimo said:

He even stepped it up a notch, by submitting the news himself, it reached the stage of being impatient, can't wait till his next ego booster.

Holy shit I didn't even see that. He is even more pathetic.
Mar 19, 2014 10:06 AM

Jan 2013
Nidhoeggr said:
I'd really love an actual parody on all these LN. Not just in name, but in terms of content.

"My Light Novel with an ultralong name is getting adapted into an anime, and my cute sister is involved?!"
LOL yes pls. I'd actually watch that.

It's strange how light novel adaptations are usually...pretty bad. they could've/should've just made 3 more seasons of spice and wolf. There are good light novels out there after all...
Mar 19, 2014 10:07 AM

Apr 2009
phoenixalia said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Fairy Tail,

I'm not questioning their quality or anything but these kind of anime don't sell usually...

My perfect season would be a season with equal number of shows for men and women. I don't mind the harem, cute girl shows, ecchi, whatever. I just want a season with at least 12-13 shows aimed at girls as well. Or rather, more than being aimed at girls, if more anime were gender balanced, I'd be content.

True, variety is key.
I also wouldn't mind more real romance shows, Shoujo and Josei adaptions. But as others ahve already noted, this overly strong focus on a specific Ln type gets tiresome.

And yeah, i know most of these won't sell well. It's a shame, really.
Mar 19, 2014 10:07 AM

Jan 2008
Nidhoeggr said:

Fairy Tail,

And you know what? This sounds much more high quality overall than most recent seasons :D

WOW Great idea replacing LN adaptions by manga adaptions... troll?

1. Manga adaption
2. Manga adaption
3. Something original > people will hate it because Bones - NO THEY WILL.
4. Oh hello Manga adaption
5. 5 min Anime maybe? wow great. > Gainaix is RIP
6. is Manga adaption
7. I keep repeating myself
8. MANGA adaption (but I lookg forward to this).

You just changed from Light Novels to Manga. Not very original in my eyes.

I think the problem is nowdays that Anime are only 12/13 even less nowdays. Soon to be only longer then an OVA because studios don't know if it will sell or not. Thats why they mostly go with adaptions. And LN is 'kinda' 'cheaper' way to do then a Manga.

If you would have a full length (24) you have actually time for the Anime stories, little break as well and not 3/4 nothing and the last 3 episodes are like "woooow the shit is now like mad yoooooo" and end > 2nd season? That IS bullshit.
GREWMar 19, 2014 10:11 AM
Mar 19, 2014 10:08 AM

Dec 2012
Hoppy said:
tsudecimo said:
Lefty112 said:

We're all tired of little sister LNs. Also, this would've been better if it took an approach similar to Date A Live instead of tacking on the tropes like some games have tacked on multiplayer just to sell more copies.

Whining with literally the same exact words, while insulting the authors and the fans, is surely gonna have an affect on the LN trend.

Some people just can't accept the fact, that they are irrelevant. (this not directed at you btw)
Mar 19, 2014 10:09 AM

Apr 2009
GREW said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Fairy Tail,

WOW Great idea replacing LN adaptions by manga adaptions... troll?

1. Manga adaption
2. Manga adaption
3. Something original > people will hate it because Bones - NO THEY WILL.
4. Oh hello Manga adaption
5. 5 min Anime maybe? wow great. > Gainaix is RIP
6. is Manga adaption
7. I keep repeating myself
8. MANGA adaption (but I lookg forward to this).

You just changed from Light Novels to Manga. Not very original in my eyes.

The genres of most LN that get adapted recently are the same.
Here we have variety.
I admit three shows are sports series, but they all have a completely different focus.
Mar 19, 2014 10:09 AM

Nov 2011
Nidhoeggr said:

Fairy Tail,

It'd be a horrible season if we would cut out 75% of all anime.

phoenixalia said:

A lot of those shows are Day-time/NHK-e shows, its not like they are trying to get those BD's sold.

Mar 19, 2014 10:10 AM
Dec 2011
TheNaturalPerm said:
a loser show for loser people. may the teens fap to this.

Sakura Trick ep. 10 03-15-14, 3:38 AM

?
?
????

Jun 2011
Dropped the manga some time ago, might give the anime a try.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 2013
OH SNAP. Having been following the manga, I'm personally looking forward to this!
Mar 19, 2014 10:14 AM

Apr 2009
rederoin said:

It'd be a horrible season if we would cut out 75% of all anime.

A lot of those shows are Day-time/NHK-e shows, its not like they are trying to get those BD's sold.

Be honest, if we cut down ecchi romcom LN from ten to let's say one title per season: Would you *really* miss the 9 LN that didn't get an adaption? Take this series for example. 95% here have posted that this looks just like most of the series in that genre and that they will pass. Would it really make an impact for you?
And all the otaku can still buy the LN and the discs of the one or two harem LN that would get aired.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Tensei shitara Dainana Ouji Datta node, Kimama ni Majutsu wo Kiwamemasu' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Mar 4

1 by AxaraCereb »»
5 hours ago

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 25

18 by MrShadowDUH »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Apr 25

9 by Playcool »»
7 hours ago

» 'Arknights: Rise From Ember' TV Anime Announced

DatRandomDude - 10 hours ago

4 by Yona_Runcandel »»
8 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

7 by EcchiGodMamster »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.