Forum Settings
Forums

Does anyone here ever feel embarrassed when you look at other anime fans?

New
Mar 9, 2014 9:46 PM

Nov 2011
Do you ever look at other anime fans think to yourself damn why do all my fellow anime fans make jackasses of themselves? I hate the obnoxious attitude most (I said most not all) anime fans seem to have like for instance several people have tried to bite my head off for referring to anime and manga as cartoons and Japanese comics. Also it seems like most anime fans seem to claim there hardcore fans yet they dont even know who Osamu Tezuka is. Also I feel embarrassed sometimes when I come here and look at all the topics and posts. Sorry but a lot of you guys have a knack for mocking people because they made what you think is a stupid topic yet you'll go around and engage in ridiculous debates on even dumber topics.

Sorry I love anime and manga but I kinda dont want to be grouped in the anime fanbase. Anyway please proceed to post sarcastic posts and simple minded insults just because your a tool and cant help yourself.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 9, 2014 9:49 PM
Aug 2012
Don't know who Osamu Tezuka is. Will continue to be obnoxious.
Mar 9, 2014 9:51 PM

Mar 2008
Mar 9, 2014 9:52 PM

Nov 2011
Remi_ said:
Good for you sir. I hope your mother is proud.
Mar 9, 2014 9:53 PM

May 2013
I see where you're coming from but I am not really bothered by the underbelly of my fandom. I see like any other fandom like star wars and such, there will always be those outspoken ones that hurt the reputation of everyone in the fandom but the average 98% are just normal people enjoying a hobby of some sort.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Mar 9, 2014 9:54 PM

Jan 2014
Remi_ said:
agreed i don't educate myself about people who make anime or manga so i know about 0 anime artist. :P

and too the point what important anime did he make???!?!?!?!

yes animu fans aren't the best fan base but look at bieber fans. (X_x)
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Mar 9, 2014 10:00 PM

Apr 2007
No because I don't really associate myself with anime fans. I'm not as hardcore as them :P Also I didn't know who Tezuka Osamu was until 2 years ago
Mar 9, 2014 10:04 PM

Apr 2012
*you're a tool*
learn2grammarplx

Honestly this seems more like a personal butt hurt rant post than a discussion.

Mar 9, 2014 10:05 PM

Dec 2012
Not embarrassed of, but rather for. A friend keeps posting "SAO is the best anime ever!" and "I want to go to a place like SAO's world and meet my Asuna" on Facebook. Doesn't make me ashamed of watching anime, just makes me take deep sighs at the weeabooism.
Mar 9, 2014 10:07 PM

Nov 2011
Textric said:
Remi_ said:
agreed i don't educate myself about people who make anime or manga so i know about 0 anime artist. :P

My issue isn't so much with anime fans who don't know him but people claim to be hardcore fans and act like anime is their life yet don't know Osamu Tezuka A.K.A the guy who is pretty much responsible for popularity of manga and anime in Japan. Not only did he create the first anime series but the art of today's anime and manga are almost all derived from his art style.
Mar 9, 2014 10:08 PM

Sep 2012
I feel this way every time I visit MAL.
Mar 9, 2014 10:10 PM

Jan 2014
BlackSabotage said:
Textric said:
Remi_ said:

My issue isn't so much with anime fans who don't know him but people claim to be hardcore fans and act like anime is their life yet don't know Osamu Tezuka A.K.A the guy who is pretty much responsible for popularity of manga and anime in Japan. Not only did he create the first anime series but the art of today's anime and manga are almost all derived from his art style.

okey. well i won't say i am a hardcore fan then. but that is just not knowing about anime history -_- which is required for a hardcore fan, i am just a mere over avg. fan.
Mar 9, 2014 10:11 PM

Apr 2007
It's possible to be super into anime and manga and not know or care who Osamu Tezuka is. Stop caring so much that other people aren't as knowledgeable.
Mar 9, 2014 10:11 PM

Nov 2011
Zeally said:
*you're a tool*
learn2grammarplx

Honestly this seems more like a personal butt hurt rant post than a discussion.
I have a mental disability and have trouble distinguishing words that sound the same. I'm sure you think that's funny but because I wanted to see the opinions of others who feel the same.
Mar 9, 2014 10:13 PM

Nov 2011
Pond said:
It's possible to be super into anime and manga and not know or care who Osamu Tezuka is. Stop caring so much that other people aren't as knowledgeable.
If someone is super into anime you'd think they'd have an urge to at least look up on its history. You'd think knowing Osamu Tezuka would be common knowledge for anime fan.
Mar 9, 2014 10:14 PM

Nov 2010
No and I don't like like your threads. Always a rant about your personal problems.
Mar 9, 2014 10:15 PM

Apr 2007
BlackSabotage said:
Pond said:
If someone is super into anime you'd think they'd have an urge to at least look up on its history. You'd think knowing Osamu Tezuka would be common knowledge for anime fan.

What if I don't want to look up anime's history? What if all I want is to watch slice of life harem rom coms?
Mar 9, 2014 10:15 PM

Mar 2008
BlackSabotage said:
You'd think knowing Osamu Tezuka would be common knowledge for anime fan.
It's not like there are anime lessons for us to take.
Mar 9, 2014 10:16 PM

Mar 2013
Those are the shutouts.
Happy Halloween

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
No and I don't like like your threads. Always a rant about your personal problems.
Lupadim is a better poster than you.

Aug 2012
If I let that get to me, I wouldn't even be here. Growing a thick skin really helps.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Mar 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Nov 2011
Pond said:
BlackSabotage said:
Pond said:

What if I don't want to look up anime's history? What if all I want is to watch slice of life harem rom coms?
Then you're a casual fan. I was talking about people who claim to be hardcore fans.
Mar 9, 2014 10:18 PM

Oct 2012
no since i rarely see them
RRRRRRRRRR
Mar 9, 2014 10:19 PM

Aug 2012
Although if you want a more concrete answer to this question, I get this feeling every time I look at the Uber Elitist Club.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Mar 9, 2014 10:20 PM
Jul 2013
I am usually embarrassed by most Clannad fans but am especially disgusted with most, if not all, Naruto fans out there.

I just hate Naruto fans because they are one of the driving factors to anime being a niche thing. I wish they hurry up and sink with that series already, but Kishimito won't stop.
Mar 9, 2014 10:21 PM

Nov 2011
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Its not hard to find out who the single most important guy in the development of anime and manga is. If your super big into anime you'd at least look up enough on anime's history to come across his name.

Dec 2012
Yes, I hate them.

gamer2710 said:
I get this feeling every time I look at the Uber Elitist Club.

Ding Ding Dong. We have a winner.
Aug 2012
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:

Lesson #1 - Watch Lucky Star Without Pants or Not at All
Mar 9, 2014 10:22 PM

Oct 2012
Online? Not really embarrassed more like annoyed. The closest thing I can think of in terms of being embarrassed is when shounen fans argue X character vs. Y character. Generally I find that anime fans keep their discussions in the forums and other anime related things. Now if it were something like say the MLP fanbase that tends to bring their interest into every possible outlet related or not, then I might be embarrassed. In real life? Well, given that a lot of the fandom consists of quite a few socially inept people, all the time.
ShrabsterMar 9, 2014 10:37 PM

Mar 9, 2014 10:23 PM

Nov 2010
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma033boKlO1qkczwn.gif you got me.
Mar 9, 2014 10:23 PM

Sep 2012
Best not to acknowledge the kid. He's either trolling or simply not willing to learn about his interests (or both). Either way, there's no point in getting into it with him.

I can understand those who go on the defensive with the cartoon remarks. They've probably been bitten more than a few times when they told others what they like (unless they're really itching for a fight, of course).

And let them call themselves "hardcore fans". There are those who value quantity over quality, for whatever reason, and they can still be considered such through sheer brute force. Then there are those who do recognize works of quality despite knowing little or nothing about the history of what they're seeing, who can also be considered worthy of the title. And then there's the buff who sees something they enjoy and put some research into it to find out more about it, again a hardcore fan. Remember that, not only are there more than one degree of fandom, but many flavours as well.

Mind you, I'm only embarrassed when I see those who seem to embrace the term "otaku" is the modern Japanese meaning. Their presence only serves to show me the path that must never be followed.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Mar 9, 2014 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
elevenletters said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Ohhh! Good comeback!
You expect me to put effort in insulting some jerk on the web? Sorry just not worth the time. Hell why am I even replying to you :/
Mar 9, 2014 10:24 PM

Mar 2008
BlackSabotage said:
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Its not hard to find out who the single most important guy in the development of anime and manga is. If your super big into anime you'd at least look up enough on anime's history to come across his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_anime
Tezuka's name appears 5 times.
Mar 9, 2014 10:28 PM

Jan 2013
I've seen a hell of a lot more anime than you OP and I don't have a clue who that is.

In fairness I also never read credits or pay attention to who makes what.

I also do this with music. I see something I want to see, or hear something I like then BAM. Other than that I don't group myself like a cult member to one brand or the like.

Also no I'm not ashamed of them. I laugh at them, hate them, like them, or ignore them for the most like I do the rest of the human race.
RedArmyShogunMar 9, 2014 10:31 PM
Mar 9, 2014 10:29 PM

Nov 2011
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:

Thus helps to prove my point?
Mar 9, 2014 10:31 PM

Mar 2008
BlackSabotage said:
Ckan said:

Inversely, he has 2 mentions and 2 hyperlinks. As wikipedia is the go-to-stop for the google researcher, anime fans might hardly encounter his name.
Mar 9, 2014 10:32 PM

Nov 2011
RedArmyShogun said:
I've seen a hell of a lot more anime than you OP and I don't have a clue who that is.

In fairness I also never read credits or pay attention to who makes what.

I also do this with music. I see something I want to see, or hear something I like then BAM. Other than that I don't group myself like a cult member to one brand or the like.

Also no I'm not ashamed of them. I laugh at them, hate them, like them, or ignore them like for the most like I do the rest of the human race.
You seem to have made the mistake of assuming I'm claiming to be a hardcore fan. Actually I prefer manga over anime and I have a lot of other major interest that I tend to such as movies, music, and video games.
Mar 9, 2014 10:33 PM

Feb 2008
I have never met one IRL. I'm not sure if my area is devoid of nerdy people or if they all just keep their hobbies to themselves.

Either way, I'm not a judgemental twat so I wouldn't feel uncomfortable just because they like SAO or Bleach or some other popular series that I dislike. If they have an irritating personality then I would have ignored them regardless of their interests.
Mar 9, 2014 10:35 PM

Nov 2011
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Ckan said:

Inversely, he has 2 mentions and 2 hyperlinks. As the go-to-stop for the google researcher, anime fans might never encounter his name.

Its pretty easy to get on this forum and just ask who is the most important guy in anime and its likely a few of the more knowledgeable anime fans will give you insight on Osamu Tezuka.
Mar 9, 2014 10:37 PM

Mar 2008
BlackSabotage said:
Its pretty easy to get on this forum and just ask who is the most important guy in anime and its likely a few of the more knowledgeable anime fans will give you insight on Osamu Tezuka.
Ah, but next to no-one does that.
Mar 9, 2014 10:39 PM

Nov 2010
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Never seen a single person ask that. The only thing that I remember that's brought up enough is, how an anime is made.
Mar 9, 2014 10:39 PM

Feb 2014
TVSMC said:
I see where you're coming from but I am not really bothered by the underbelly of my fandom. I see like any other fandom like star wars and such, there will always be those outspoken ones that hurt the reputation of everyone in the fandom but the average 98% are just normal people enjoying a hobby of some sort.
Mar 9, 2014 10:42 PM

Nov 2011
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Why not? If your a hardcore a time fan then simple curiosity should take over. If you claim to be a hardcore anime fan and have no interest in the history of anime then more likely anime is just a fad to you or you've got some personal issues.
Mar 9, 2014 10:43 PM

Jan 2013
BlackSabotage said:
You seem to have made the mistake of assuming I'm claiming to be a hardcore fan. Actually I prefer manga over anime and I have a lot of other major interest that I tend to such as movies, music, and video games.

So bitching for the sake of bitching then? Cool story, later bro.
Mar 9, 2014 10:43 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Never seen a single person ask that. The only thing that I remember that's brought up enough is, how an anime is made.
Exactly. The western anime fan base is an empty shell.
Mar 9, 2014 10:44 PM

Mar 2013
BlackSabotage said:
elevenletters said:
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Ohhh! Good comeback!
You expect me to put effort in insulting some jerk on the web? Sorry just not worth the time. Hell why am I even replying to you :/
Win-Win logic:
Get insulted; reply with a dreadful comeback that further proves you as a dolt.
Happy Halloween
Mar 9, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Textric said:
Remi_ said:

Hey, who fuckin cares?

Yes he changed the manga and anime world. But that world is no longer his. You don't need to read Astro Boy ten times over to be a legitimate fan of anime. It's not like the people enjoying the medium are delving into the history of it the same way you are. They're enjoying the stories put out before them.

Few people go beyond that with their favorite medium. I get it, you like old anime, so stop waving your dick in my face.

Meanwhile I'll be over here enjoying watching whatever I feel like, learning more about the industry at my own pace. And all the while I wont care about anyone else. Because why would I?
Mar 9, 2014 10:45 PM

Jan 2014
BlackSabotage said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Exactly. The western anime fan base is an empty shell.
i lack to find this true. most people just don't like history. like me i am not a history fan. so i do my best not go searching for it.
Mar 9, 2014 10:46 PM

Mar 2008
BlackSabotage said:
Ckan said:
BlackSabotage said:
Why not? If your a hardcore a time fan then simple curiosity should take over. If you claim to be a hardcore anime fan and have no interest in the history of anime then more likely anime is just a fad to you or you've got some personal issues.

While I can't see how 'personal issues' suddenly comes into this, perhaps a comparison is needed.

Say you're a massive soccer/football fan. Do you go and look up the early history of the game and its origins? Not really. Your interest is in what's relevant to you now.
In the same way, a hardcore anime-fan could easily ignore the origins of anime. Of course, this is less easily done compared to other interests, as the history of anime is relatively short.
Mar 9, 2014 10:46 PM

Jun 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
No and I don't like your threads. Always rant about your personal problems.

Ditto.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

7 by FanofAction »»
8 seconds ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 4 hours ago

19 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

50 by traed »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

8 by cody »»
26 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.