Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Aug 13, 2016 5:26 PM

Jul 2013
Mayuka said:
@Soren: How do i reply to your profile comment when it's set to friends-only
Oopsies, now you can :)asdgagadghadhasfhasfhsfh
Aug 14, 2016 1:11 PM

Feb 2016
You just binge watch. Most long running series get better as you watch more episodes. Also, you just skip the fillers and recap episodes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2016 1:13 PM

Dec 2015
With patience. Lots of it. And enough free time.
Aug 14, 2016 3:08 PM

Apr 2016
How don't you watch long anime? Anime is something I watch a few episodes a day, and when an anime ends, allot of the time it sucks because I want to see more. The only reason I watch only a few episodes each day is because most anime can be finished in a few days if you watch too much. I would prefer longer anime so I have more to watch.

I guess I wouldn't like a long anime if it's boring, but I wouldn't be watching it in the first place then.
Aug 14, 2016 3:13 PM

Aug 2014
I don't know why this thread was necro'ed but I recently watched almost all of the UC gundams. It is slightly different than watching 1 really long show as there are clear places to take a break and all the shows feel different. I still watched loads though because I got really into the setting, the philosophy, the characters and the robot design. With these long franchises and shows you have to get really invested but once you do it's pretty easy to watch loads. By simply having loads of episodes and single thing can have more points of merit compared to a much denser 13 episode show. It also gives you a lot of time to get attached to characters too. It's probably why the 50 episode zeta gundam is my fav.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Aug 15, 2016 12:54 AM

Jul 2009
Simple...by getting a huge bag of peanuts beforehand, lights turned off, then hoping you can watch enough before getting sick.
Aug 15, 2016 1:07 AM
Sep 2015
For most long animes I watch, the moment it feels like a chore I'd move on to watch a short anime (like 12-24 Episodes) in between and comeback to it later. Like Naruto and Bleach, at some point It felt like work trying to walkthough Slow AF episodes

For Anime like HxH 2011, FMAB, Hitman Reborn, Beelzebub and Diamond no Ace, It got me triggered episode 1, had me on a complete binge. If you really enjoy it i guess it doesnt matter how long the series is.
Aug 15, 2016 1:08 AM

Jun 2016
I watch Long Series Anime specially when summer vacation, hmmm.. I think i manage to watch 24 episodes a day, also try to eat something while watching. ^^
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Aug 15, 2016 1:13 AM
Mar 2016
with this thing
Aug 15, 2016 1:20 AM

Jul 2016
I go with the one more episode (ha-ha please the eyes don't give up on me) when I watch the Hunter x Hunter, One Piece and Gintama but when I have free time I watch a whole day. I skip the opening and closing song once I watch it. Sometimes, I don't bother by the length of anime if it is really that good you will just keep on watching it.

Aug 15, 2016 1:30 AM

Dec 2014
You sit down and watch it. Maybe grab a snack or something
Aug 15, 2016 1:32 AM

Jul 2015
As long as I watch 1-2 episodes a day it's not as painful to finish a long anime.Long anime are kind of nice 'cause I get attached to the characters and the adventures they experience.I finished Naruto when I was small so idk about that,Shippuden it's more or less nay for me.I also finalised watching Bleach and it's one of the most excruciating ones,I simply couldn't get into it after the first 2 arcs or so.One Piece is different,I was bored as hell with it till episode 250 or so but after it just grew on me.Most likely Luffy's fault lol
Jan 17, 2017 11:41 AM
Jan 2016
This is my problem now the longest animes I've watched was inuyasha but I started watching fairy tail about a month or so got to episode 65 and feel like starting a new anime I like it but I just can't wait till the end I want to see what will happen but not bothered idk If I should drop it (I don't like dropping animes)
Jan 17, 2017 11:59 AM

Oct 2014
It depends what anime. If it's really good you can just watch at your normal pace be it 1 episode a day or 25 a day and eventually you'll get through it. You can watch some shorter anime alongside it for a bit more variety, but if it really hooks you then this might not even be necessary. Most of the really long anime have some fillers, in fact even the best long runners tend to have at least a cour or two of fillers over their run, so you can skip these to save time. Sailor Moon is only 100 episodes if you skip the fillers, you can easily watch that in a month. It's best just to not worry about how long it will take you and enjoy the ride.
Jan 17, 2017 12:11 PM

Sep 2016
I don't really watch 'really long anime' and 20-26 episodes is too much of a marathon for me.;l
Jan 17, 2017 12:11 PM

Dec 2016
The key is not wanting to end the anime ASAP. (And of course, you have to like the series to eventually end it).

You have to watch them recognising and accepting that you are not going to finish them in 2 days or in a week, but several months.

A show like DBZ for exaple with its near 300 episodes, watching only 3 episodes a day, will take you 3 months, not exactly an "eternity"....
Jan 17, 2017 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
I usually leave the long series for when I have vacation. I did that with Hunter x Hunter, and I'm glad I did, because I got hooked on it from the first episode and I couldn't stop binging it, I used to watch about 20 episodes a day, and I could go even more, but I was kind of depending on someone ( we watched together ) and we started in the evening and finished early morning. When I do that, I usually don't watch anything else.

If I don't have much time, I set a goal to myself to watch a certain amount of episodes every day and I stick to it. I've recently begun Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and since I can't binge it ( although I love it ), I'm watching 2 episodes a day.

I suggest trying to do the second method. Of course, you can increase or decrease the number of episodes. Maybe you'll be able to get into the long series that way.
Jan 17, 2017 12:21 PM

Sep 2016
nry said:
The key is not wanting to end the anime ASAP. (And of course, you have to like the series to eventually end it).

You have to watch them recognising and accepting that you are not going to finish them in 2 days or in a week, but several months.

A show like DBZ for exaple with its near 300 episodes, watching only 3 episodes a day, will take you 3 months, not exactly an "eternity"....

I think you can cut a whole bunch of nothing out of something with hundreds of episodes like drangoball shows.
I would wikipedia the first 12 episodes of steins gate and watch the rest of better bits:p
FondenteJan 17, 2017 12:24 PM
Jan 17, 2017 12:34 PM
Mar 2015
I think the longest anime I've seen so far was One Piece. It's more than 700 episodes with multiple specials and movies, and still airing. I looked up the arcs on the One Piece wiki, and broke it down so at most I would watch the arc straight through, then move on to a few other short animes, then go back to One Piece and start the next arc.
Jan 17, 2017 1:42 PM

Aug 2010
all the long shows i watched i did so while in high school - meaning i had a ton of free time.

It also helps if you pick up the show early while its airing
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jan 17, 2017 4:01 PM

Apr 2015
I honestly don't know. As of now I am tackling Cardcaptor Sakura, which once finished, will be the longest anime I've watched since I actually started seriously watching the medium back in late 2013 (though depending on how you look at it, if you group all my Sailor Moon experience together, that's over 110 episodes without having even seen everything). And while I am enjoying CCS, it the quality starts going to shit, it's going to be really hard to actually want to invest in this.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Jan 17, 2017 6:30 PM

Apr 2015
Currently watching Gintama (300+ episodes) and going at an episode per day pace. I'm enjoying the experience so far.

In the past, I used to watch very few anime (600+ episodes of One Piece, Naruto, etc.). I used to follow those weekly so it didn't feel like such a feat.
Jan 17, 2017 8:41 PM
Jan 2017
Honestly i used to do this a lot but now that im a senior and i have a buttload of college apps im not able to watch as much but i did what anyone else did- binge watch the whole day. I mean i would watch watever anime was new for that day then start watching whatever anime but yeah just binge-watch. Also be sure to take some breaks in between by watching other animes as long animes can get really repetitive (such as fairy tail- i mean i love f.t. but that whole looking like they gonna lose only to win thing really gets annoying after the first couple of times). But if you make sure to take breaks you should be fine. Im hoping to get back to watching anime asap cause i have a load of anime bookmarked on kissanime rn lmfao
Jan 18, 2017 12:14 AM

Jan 2017
I watch long series because I feel like I have a better understanding of the world that goes on. Characters have more time to develop while they keep introducing new characters to keep it fresh. I feel like stuff in 24 episode and less anime are a little rushed in places. I feel like they lack world building and the flow of character development because they need to cram the entire story in a few episodes, especially since in the ones that I watch, the parts where a character develops always happen in 1 episode, which I feel is a little to short for someone to be learning and becoming a better person.

You also have to be pretty much dedicated to the long series, you can't watch them in 1 - 3 days. You need to make sure you stick with it and take breaks before coming back.
Jan 18, 2017 1:00 AM

Dec 2016
i just watch them nonstop until they finish
Jan 18, 2017 1:19 AM

May 2015
RESHIRAM5 said:
I watch long series because I feel like I have a better understanding of the world that goes on. Characters have more time to develop while they keep introducing new characters to keep it fresh. I feel like stuff in 24 episode and less anime are a little rushed in places. I feel like they lack world building and the flow of character development because they need to cram the entire story in a few episodes, especially since in the ones that I watch, the parts where a character develops always happen in 1 episode, which I feel is a little to short for someone to be learning and becoming a better person.

You also have to be pretty much dedicated to the long series, you can't watch them in 1 - 3 days. You need to make sure you stick with it and take breaks before coming back.

Why is the world so important?

Why do you think time necessarily leads to character development? There are episodic shows that run forever and the characters don't change.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Jan 18, 2017 1:32 AM

Jan 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
RESHIRAM5 said:

Why do you think time necessarily leads to character development? There are episodic shows that run forever and the characters don't change.

If it's set in the real world then I guess it isn't really important but if its a new world it's nice to know what goes on around and to immerse yourself into the world, I find it impossible to immerse myself in the world that hasn't really been build.

I don't mean Time = Instant Character development. If a character doesn't change overtime, I question whats the point in a long series in the forst place but if characters do change in a long series, it works brilliantly as it takes time which longer series allow and more time to see them learn and grow.
Jan 19, 2017 7:10 AM

May 2015
RESHIRAM5 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

If it's set in the real world then I guess it isn't really important but if its a new world it's nice to know what goes on around and to immerse yourself into the world, I find it impossible to immerse myself in the world that hasn't really been build.

I don't mean Time = Instant Character development. If a character doesn't change overtime, I question whats the point in a long series in the forst place but if characters do change in a long series, it works brilliantly as it takes time which longer series allow and more time to see them learn and grow.

The world in the fictional work doesn't exist. Does it matter what happens in a village that never appears on screen and is unrelated to the characters?

Why must a series need 2000 episodes to develop a character?
Jan 19, 2017 7:44 AM

Apr 2015
Wake up start watching some low budget anime to kill time-> watch about 25 episodes-> go to sleep but stay awake thinking what a waste your life is and have an existential crisis-> watch some more episodes to have something else to think about-> repeat.

No, but you just sit there eyes on screen. Maybe doing some work at the same time. That's how it goes for me.
Jan 19, 2017 12:18 PM

Jan 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
RESHIRAM5 said:

The world in the fictional work doesn't exist. Does it matter what happens in a village that never appears on screen and is unrelated to the characters?

No but what about the places that do? This especially happens in adventure anime where you'll be going to multiple places, and even non-adventure anime there are detials that long anime can do to make the world they're in feel important, interesting or even a place you want to be on IRL.

What? Every long series anime doesn't take 2000 episodes to full develop a character, when characters take development in long series its usually 3 to 6 and then they use that development for future events, and they're multiple characters to develop so it's unnecessary to develop 1 character for 2000 episodes. Not to mention characters in long series anime, develop multiple times, not just once. Take for example Yugioh ARC-V. During the first season, Yuya develops to learn that while making people smile is great he needs to take duelling more seriously and learns about Pendulums, then in the second half of the first season he then comes with the struggles of his awakened state and Yuto living inside. Season 2 is about Yuya trying to remember why he wanted duel in the first place as he's gotten too serious... I'll stop here to avoid much spoilers. You can argue if these a good or bad developments but the character develops in multiple segments no him developing through the the entire season and other characters develop too when he isn't developing like Shun, Sora, Crow, Reiji, Reira, Kite.
Jan 19, 2017 2:49 PM

May 2015
I dont even kno. I'm too lazy to see if someone has written this already, but I could watch longer series a lot easier when I was younger. Like, during summers between elementary school I could pumped out one piece, naruto, bleach, and the other longer series. Honestly kno, now I dont have the time or the attention span to watch 200+ ep shows. Im happy I watched them when I was young
Jan 19, 2017 3:00 PM
Jul 2018
Easy, if it's interesting I don't care how many Ep it has also a lot of free time helps too.
Like One Piece,Fairy Tail,Gintama,Katekyo Hitman Reborn, Eyeshield 21,Slam Dunk.
(listed only those I watched with over 100+ Eps.)
Jan 19, 2017 3:03 PM

May 2014
For me it's because I find it nice to get into an ongoing story with characters that I can grow to know and love over time. I also have a habit of marathoning through anime I like, as opposed to savouring it...so it's relieving knowing I won't run out of episodes too quickly.

If I'm "burning out" on a longer series, I usually just try a few seasonal anime to break it up a little.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2017 3:19 PM

Jan 2014
for some people there is more feels for the characters in these long running shows that angel beats. and this is how im watching yugioh arc v lately: least 20 episodes per day during this week. in some cases u just need a fellow friend who recomended it just so u can talk about it together.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jan 19, 2017 3:29 PM

Jan 2014
RESHIRAM5 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

No but what about the places that do? This especially happens in adventure anime where you'll be going to multiple places, and even non-adventure anime there are detials that long anime can do to make the world they're in feel important, interesting or even a place you want to be on IRL.

What? Every long series anime doesn't take 2000 episodes to full develop a character, when characters take development in long series its usually 3 to 6 and then they use that development for future events, and they're multiple characters to develop so it's unnecessary to develop 1 character for 2000 episodes. Not to mention characters in long series anime, develop multiple times, not just once. Take for example Yugioh ARC-V. During the first season, Yuya develops to learn that while making people smile is great he needs to take duelling more seriously and learns about Pendulums, then in the second half of the first season he then comes with the struggles of his awakened state and Yuto living inside. Season 2 is about Yuya trying to remember why he wanted duel in the first place as he's gotten too serious... I'll stop here to avoid much spoilers. You can argue if these a good or bad developments but the character develops in multiple segments no him developing through the the entire season and other characters develop too when he isn't developing like Shun, Sora, Crow, Reiji, Reira, Kite.

currently watching yugioh arc v. im with ya Resh. it is quite enjoyable for me that there is enough character development to easily get into the characters mindset. thats something that i could never do in freakin tokyo ghoul s2
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Jan 19, 2017 3:34 PM

Apr 2013
finishing long anime you don't really like just because you don't want to drop it is silly, i used to do that, but it's so stupid, think about all those cartoons and tv series you once watched, i don't see you forcing yourself to complete those, if you're gonna be a doofuss at least be consistent, i think the listing aspect overshadows simple logic
Jan 20, 2017 8:49 AM

May 2015
RESHIRAM5 said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

Yona is an example of a great adventure anime that has various villages with few details in them, but these details are enough to make the story work.
Jan 20, 2017 1:41 PM

Apr 2015
I like and prefer to watch long anime like Naruto, One Piece, Gintama, Fairy Tail, Dragon Ball and Bleach because the enjoyment lasts for so long. I could really write a 5,000k word essay on the why, but I'll try to put simply and short:

As I said, the longer the anime, the longer the fun (excluding fillers). The anime I mentioned are all objectively good. To some they are better, to others not so much. I LOVE when the characters start developing that hatered and thirst for revenge/fight which culminates in epic and spectacular battles. (for shonen ofc)

Spending so much time with the same crew inevitably brings you closer to at least some characters and you start loving them more than Mikasa or Levi from AoT (imo, ofc).

Most of those long anime are airing (and finished) or have a plethora of episodes while still airing. (I'm watching One Piece at 270 ep. atm) so you don't have to wait months or years for a new season and even then getting only one episode per week. In some cases you will catch up, however.

Long anime tend to have more movies than the short ones (I don't watch them so it doesn't play a role in my book).

There are also many more reasons and I tried to list the most important ones, from my perspective.
Jan 20, 2017 1:46 PM

Aug 2016
I used to binge watch Detective Conan; but that was when it was the only anime I watched and I didn't want to watch anything else.

Now I've moved on I'm watching it less and less, but it's still easy for me to sit down and watch 10 episodes a day if I want to
Jan 20, 2017 2:31 PM

Jan 2015
You add them to your plan to watch because they are popular and you want to know what it's all about but you dread the total time of watching ahead of you. Every day it sits in your play to watch list the you get more intrigued to what you are missing, eventually you'll start watching it. The last longish anime I watched was hajime no Ippo. It went by really fast. Ofc I had to read the manga after too.
A curve including all entries should be of a gaussian form. One including limited entries by picking animes you liked and not rating animes you dropped should look like mine.
Amount of total animes each rating should have (percentages): 6-25,7-15,8-6,9-3,10-1
Jan 20, 2017 2:35 PM

Aug 2016
You watch it one ep at a time and pretty soon those eps add up...

I try to watch 4 eps of a long running a day. I also watch with my bro (not together tho) and that gets me through it faster because of motivation to get ahead of him.

Sometimes I blow through tons of eps if I'm at a good part. And if I'm getting irritated by something in the show I take a break and watch other stuff until I miss it.

Lmao@ DBZ dubbed. Like, why? It's cringe worthy. I would also not recommend DBZ over Kai. The pacing is terrible. I am currently almost done DBZ and my brother is going through Kai.
Jan 20, 2017 3:01 PM

Nov 2013
i watched naruto and pokemon on tv for years, so those are the only 2 long runs i watch,

i wouldn't really start watching one piece or other stuff now =D
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jan 20, 2017 4:05 PM

Nov 2016
well at this time I'm watching two long anime right now, One Piece and Gintama

I pretty much grew up watching shounen anime/other genres that were really long. (ex: bleach, naruto, dragon ball, fairy tail, etc)

I don't really get tired of long animes unless the story and the plot are boring. Usually I watch 2-5 episode a day depending on my mood.

Jan 20, 2017 10:21 PM

Oct 2015
Most anime I watch is under 50 episodes. I am watching HxH off Toonami though and I'm slowly watching Inuyasha off Netflix. I guess some people can stand to watch hundreds of episode of something back-to-back or just take a year or two to watch it. The longest show I've currently finished is Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood which had 60 something epsiodes. I haven't really seen any other show I like well enough to watch a ton of episodes of at once though (I do like HxH a lot but I'm watching it off Toonami for right now) I do intend to watch Monster Someday, There's too many shorter shows I'd prefer to watch before jumping onto hundreds of episode of some anime. Well I guess I'm still watching Pokemon (though I skipped Black and White) but I've been watching that since I was a kid so it wasn't hard to keep up with, I just watch it now to see how crazy the show will get until it finally ends.
Jan 20, 2017 10:43 PM
Mar 2016
just watch it and dont give up and dont drop
Jan 20, 2017 10:43 PM
Mar 2016
just watch it and dont give up and dont drop
Jan 20, 2017 11:24 PM
Aug 2016
I do a marathon of them. I did that for Naruto when I picked it up again a few years back.. like I finished the 220+374 episodes in four weeks something.

I generally don't watch much anime.. I prefer reading the manga but even that I need something to push me to finish super long series.. I remember the first time I read one piece I took a break after the first 50 chapters b/c I dint feel the, how should I put this.. motivation to finish it? But the second time I actually ended up finishing 835 chapters in 5 days. It all depends on how much you wany to read something tbh.. And it also depends on how you usually go about it.. every one has their way about it. (:
Jan 20, 2017 11:55 PM
Apr 2015
Naruto was something I watched since childhood, so I just kinda... catch up with it. 12 years and counting.

For Fairy Tail I had to watch at 1.5x / 2x speed and skip every filler episodes. Completed both seasons in 3 months
Jan 21, 2017 12:01 AM

Apr 2014
Honestly, if the anime has over 50+ episodes I will always watch the dubbed version so I don't get bored of it and stop watching. I tend to be able to sit through anime that are dubbed a lot better because I can actually do something else in the meantime since I have dual screens and don't have to constantly read subtitles. :C
Jan 21, 2017 10:49 PM

Jan 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
RESHIRAM5 said:

Yona is an example of a great adventure anime that has various villages with few details in them, but these details are enough to make the story work.

I never seen or heard of Yona, so I have no idea about it.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Great Anime that have 5 seasons or more that is underwatched.

RjtheGreat14 - 55 minutes ago

3 by perseii »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - 9 hours ago

11 by velvetnyan »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Japanese Anime and its Relationship to the Source Material vs Western Media

LSSJ_Gaming - 7 hours ago

15 by perseii »»
26 minutes ago

» Do you pick new anime to watch thinking you probably will like it? Or just picking whatever is popular?

Rinrinka - Yesterday

40 by Solstis »»
40 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 )

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

75 by traed »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.