Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2009 6:42 AM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That Youko friend (forgot his name) sure looks different now. I didn't recognize him, at first.
Dec 29, 2010 10:59 PM

May 2010
Is everyone a whiner in this Anime?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Feb 24, 2011 10:40 AM

Aug 2010
Seriously all those crying by that suzu girl starts to annoy me a lot. and asano has gone crazy too? i think out of all the 3 girls only youko is the most sane, the other two girls are just...
Aug 25, 2011 2:03 PM

Sep 2008
Confucius said:
Is everyone a whiner in this Anime?

Yes.

Or at least, everyone starts out that way (Youko, Yuka). Or turns into one (Asano).

Yup, Shoukei has truly gone insane. Of the three that the story is following at the moment, she is the craziest, in my opinion. I have no idea how she has drawn the connection between her situation and Youko... Pure jealousy seems to have completely clouded her mind and rendered her totally irrational.
May 3, 2013 9:44 PM

Jul 2011
Why did the series take this direction? Why isn't it focusing more on Yoko and her endeavors?

Suzu has improved since her initial appearance. The blue hair girl... has just gone crazy.

And Asano. Ha, who would have thought...

Oh but please wait while I knock out that Suzu girl... that pissed me off when she started crying.

Can't like any of the characters at the moment. More Rakushun please.
Yoko's alright now too.
MirorinMay 3, 2013 11:10 PM
Mar 6, 2014 11:10 PM

Jul 2008
I hated Shoukei from the beginning and haven't changed my mind, she's getting worse. Suzu I'm starting to dislike, she's not the only one with a tough life despite the bitch she was working under for all those years.
Mar 26, 2014 7:56 AM

Aug 2013
Wow 3 loathsome characters in one arc. This arc looks particularly lengthy too ffs. I hope I find the strength not to drop this.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Dec 18, 2014 2:42 AM
Aug 2011
xchee said:
I hope I find the strength not to drop this.

I'm on the same boat right now. I'm not doubting this will turn around but damn son...

I would never call this show bad, but i'm having a really difficult time getting invested in it.

There have been some pretty great moments but all these little things most of you have mentioned keep me from enjoying this completely.
Jan 30, 2015 5:31 AM

Jan 2012
that guy is fucked up. or i guess he was born with a very bad luck

Nov 9, 2015 10:33 PM

Dec 2013
The queen of Kyou has it absolutely right. While it's true that she has lots of treasures and luxuries. All of those luxuries came with the responsibility of ruling and governing a kingdom properly. Shoukei fails to understand this.

I hate Suzu and the whole "woe is me" attitude she has. It's sad that she thinks all kaikyaku feel the same way she does and that all of them are waiting around for someone to pity them for their poor situations. For someone who has lived for over 100 years, she has an incredibly narrow world view.
Kuro_YuukiNov 9, 2015 10:38 PM
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
Dec 29, 2016 6:42 PM
Oct 2014
A couple of the posts earlier this thread (and in previous threads) are really bizarre to me. I'm not sure how it's possible to have genuine antipathy for any of the three lead characters at the moment, let alone all of them at once. Youko is still relatively new to this entire world, and after the most traumatic entry imaginable is now being forced to take on the task of ruling a kingdom, despite having absolutely no foreknowledge of such a role's responsibilities or the intricate traditions she's expected to abide by. Her growing disdain for being a queen is completely justified, yet she's still persevering in an attempt to force herself into the role regardless, which is admirable.

Suzu has been literally enslaved for a century, from the age of fifteen, previously unable to flee due to the strongly implied threat of execution and the (false?) warning that she would experience a loss of communicative abilities. Her world view is narrow because she was deprived of the chance to ever develop any kind of worldview in the first place. She and the kid were both correct in the ending to this episode - while the kid was right to state that Suzu is far from the only person to be ripped from her home and have the world shit on her constantly, she was equally correct in saying that the specific type of alienation she feels is unique to her and others taken from Japan.

Shoukei had a similarly sheltered life (although a positive one, as opposed to Suzu's wholly negative one) with no opportunity to develop any type of viewpoint other than the one her father fed to her, with the intention of keeping her "pure" as revealed a couple episodes ago. The reason she can't empathize with non-royalty is because her father simply didn't expose her to any situation that would allow her to do so. Queen Kyou even acknowledges this herself. From Shoukei's own perspective - which she never had the chance to challenge - she was entitled by birth to the lifestyle of a princess, and this life was wrongfully stolen from her with the murder of her parents right in front of her. After that, her entire experience with non-royals has been to be beaten, abused and almost executed. I'm not sure how anyone expects her to empathize with anyone who isn't her at this point, because she doesn't have any frame of reference.

Asano looks all set to become an extremely badly written shoehorned in anime-only villain, but we have no idea what befell him from the time he fell into the river until now so I'm withholding judgement for now. Not sure how he plans to destroy the entire world with a half-loaded six shooter, but good luck.

It always weirds me out a little when people show actual hatred towards fictional characters, especially ones who are far from being actually reprehensible. Anyway, I think all of the characters are interesting and sympathetic so far, so I thought I'd just leave this post here to offer a counterpoint to what appears to be the overwhelming consensus, so any future viewers of this series who read these threads can consider it.
Jun 20, 2017 5:01 AM

Oct 2012
The princess would be an amazing villain, well not really :P
Ok maybe not just the princess that will become villains

I mean I really don't know, there's too many jump.. They should focus one first then jump after it's done
Otherwise some people might forget the details
There's just too many jumps between princess, Suzu and Youko.. I might go crazy like that original character xD
"Signature removed"
Feb 23, 2019 10:26 PM

Dec 2015
Did Rangyoku seriously mistake Youko for a man? Is she retarded?
Nov 13, 2019 7:39 AM

May 2015
Asano gone mad. :DDDDD
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Aug 25, 2021 3:08 PM

Nov 2016
Shoukei is as delusional as ever. Kyou on the other hand is surprising me more and more. I unironically think that Youko could learn a bit from her.

The Suzu and Asano subplot is also still interesting.

PS: I get it, these characters aren't exactly designed to win a popularity contest, but is "likability" really prerequisite for some people to enjoy characters?

Agree for most parts with this post.

Amascut said:
A couple of the posts earlier this thread (and in previous threads) are really bizarre to me. I'm not sure how it's possible to have genuine antipathy for any of the three lead characters at the moment, let alone all of them at once. Youko is still relatively new to this entire world, and after the most traumatic entry imaginable is now being forced to take on the task of ruling a kingdom, despite having absolutely no foreknowledge of such a role's responsibilities or the intricate traditions she's expected to abide by. Her growing disdain for being a queen is completely justified, yet she's still persevering in an attempt to force herself into the role regardless, which is admirable.

Suzu has been literally enslaved for a century, from the age of fifteen, previously unable to flee due to the strongly implied threat of execution and the (false?) warning that she would experience a loss of communicative abilities. Her world view is narrow because she was deprived of the chance to ever develop any kind of worldview in the first place. She and the kid were both correct in the ending to this episode - while the kid was right to state that Suzu is far from the only person to be ripped from her home and have the world shit on her constantly, she was equally correct in saying that the specific type of alienation she feels is unique to her and others taken from Japan.

Shoukei had a similarly sheltered life (although a positive one, as opposed to Suzu's wholly negative one) with no opportunity to develop any type of viewpoint other than the one her father fed to her, with the intention of keeping her "pure" as revealed a couple episodes ago. The reason she can't empathize with non-royalty is because her father simply didn't expose her to any situation that would allow her to do so. Queen Kyou even acknowledges this herself. From Shoukei's own perspective - which she never had the chance to challenge - she was entitled by birth to the lifestyle of a princess, and this life was wrongfully stolen from her with the murder of her parents right in front of her. After that, her entire experience with non-royals has been to be beaten, abused and almost executed. I'm not sure how anyone expects her to empathize with anyone who isn't her at this point, because she doesn't have any frame of reference.

Asano looks all set to become an extremely badly written shoehorned in anime-only villain, but we have no idea what befell him from the time he fell into the river until now so I'm withholding judgement for now. Not sure how he plans to destroy the entire world with a half-loaded six shooter, but good luck.

It always weirds me out a little when people show actual hatred towards fictional characters, especially ones who are far from being actually reprehensible. Anyway, I think all of the characters are interesting and sympathetic so far, so I thought I'd just leave this post here to offer a counterpoint to what appears to be the overwhelming consensus, so any future viewers of this series who read these threads can consider it.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 29, 2022 9:43 AM
Nov 2020
It’s kinda frustrating that all the people think that Yoko has a easy life.
Jul 4, 2023 2:58 PM

Oct 2019
I dont know if anime will explore it but would be nice to see the shit Asano experienced. Obviously he just couldnt handle living in a world that he couldnt understand and people made fun of him. He is def broken at this point.
I think the author really made characters that i feel emotionally frustrated about. It is understandable both Suzu and Shoukei led sheltered lives and were placed under extremely bad circumstances. However, that viewpoint of theirs sucks ass. It is frustrating to see. I do agree with Suzu and that kid. Both their claims are just. Though, it was kinda pissing me off that she kinda waived the kids remarks and beleives that Youko would sympathize with her just cuz she was born in Horai.
And that lil bitch Shoukei...oooo she pisses me off. 
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Dec 27, 2023 12:13 PM

Apr 2017
"People like us don't look good with jewels. You need pale white skin and silky hair!"

People with dark skin and curly or kinky hair:

Dec 27, 2023 12:36 PM

Apr 2017
Reply to Amascut

@Amascut I don't exactly hate any of these characters, but they are annoying. However, I like this arc as a whole. I've no idea why people hate this arc. The previous arc with the black Kirin was annoying, but this arc was good AF. I do think it's about how all three are connected with each other.

Suzu and Youko are connected because both didn't really bother to learn on their own and help themselves. They both just relied on other people. That's what caused the division with the official. Youko just left the decisions up to the dominant half, and the other side got mad. Suzu is the same way in that she just relied on others to save her and bail her out.

Shoukei and Youko are similar in that they use ignorance to bail them out. Shoukei says, "my father did that, not me!" while Youko says "I don't know anything about this world, so I'll leave the decision up to other people".

I think Shoukei and Suzu are connected via envy and stubbornness. I noticed the woman that was brushing Suzu's hair was talking about how long and nice it is. Could that be the reason that her mistress was bullying her specifically? It's a foil to Shoukei, whose mother had women killed because she was afraid that they'd outshine Shoukei. Though both of them have a stubborn personality. Both of them refuse to see the other side of the argument. They have a self centered "woe is me" nature. They don't realize that other people suffer. They also think that people hate them because of who they are. Suzu isn't hated because she's Japanese. She's hated because she refuses to acknowledge the hardships that people go through. People don't hate Shoukei because they're jealous that she's a princess. They hate her because she dismisses their suffering and refuses to acknowledge the issues that her father had.

With that said, I don't hate either of them enough to quit this anime. I find them fascinating. I think of Shoukei as someone who is a foil to Yona (from Yona of the Dawn). Yona's father was killed and everyone didn't like her father, but she took the time to actually listen to people and empathize with them. She grew out of her ignorance from within the palace walls. Shoukei is if Yona didn't want to listen to other people's POV about her father. It's an interesting take, so I'm fascinated with her.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 5 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

37 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 3 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 14, 2008

41 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 21, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Sep 30, 2008

68 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Apr 20, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Mar 7, 2008

50 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 13, 2:35 AM

Poll: » Juuni Kokuki Episode 10 Discussion

kie_ - Aug 8, 2009

25 by BarronRobinson »»
Apr 11, 6:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.