Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 11, 2022 11:10 AM

Jun 2019
I'm just gonna say that Ataru is missing a lot. Lum is the best girl, clearly. She's so sweet and caring of him and he rejects her all the time. That ending was so freaking sweet. I love Lum.
Nov 11, 2022 12:04 PM

Dec 2013
That was super sweet by Lum and a much needed cute scene between those two, I understand Ataru is supposed to be a jerk but I feel bad for Lum and Shinobu just thinking they deserve better.
Nov 11, 2022 1:27 PM

Oct 2010
Curiously, that one student who was hanging out with Kosuke in the first half of the episode was named in the credits... "Kakugari". Yeah, same nickname as that one big and fat Stormtrooper from the old anime. Really odd after Megane/Satoshi and Chibi/Akira had their names changed to their real names.

And next episode going, going by the trailer's footage, Kakugari's role from the manga in the Oyuki story will be replaced by Hokuto (the other minor classmate from the manga who has appeared in this remake alongside Kosuke). Everything about this new Kakugari feels odd.

From using that nickname rather than the real name to how he's here even though Hokuto is otherwise stealing his role.
Nov 11, 2022 2:37 PM

Jan 2020
Looks like there might be hope for a AtaruxLum ending after all. But, I sort of feel like Lum is better off moving on already. It's somewhat crazy she's so in love with him, though I think it's more crazy that he is so hard up and won't at least give her a proper chance. For all his griping, he sure doesn't seem to be in all that much of a hurry to lose his virginity.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 11, 2022 2:37 PM
Jul 2019
Ohhhh ho ho ho ho, despite being a remake, this was just funny....
Nov 11, 2022 2:41 PM
Mar 2015
At least he is beginning to realize how much of a girl Lum really is
Nov 11, 2022 2:50 PM

Jul 2016
Really hope Ataru remembers those 10k yens Mendou "owes" him.

Also damn, it seems I'm the only one who was disappointed when Ataru didn't punch Lum. Like, what? She can stalk and electrocute him whenever she wants but he can't uppercut her? That's bs.
Nov 11, 2022 3:12 PM

Jun 2014
Some of the shots near the end when they are walking are so nice.
Nov 11, 2022 5:46 PM

May 2009
Ngl the scene between Lum and Ataru made my heart skip a beat! As of right now I still prefer the original and I'm not liking the VA's too much (the exceptions being Mendou, Sakura or Shinobu), but I gotta give credit where credit is due :)

Oh god I would never want to see a Maison Ikkoku remake, the original is perfect and one of the best romcoms ever made ;_;
Nov 11, 2022 6:25 PM

Feb 2016
tbh I dont like this one compared to 1981, the episode is less logic.
I would describe the reboot as "the reason is different but the result is the same".
Nov 11, 2022 7:06 PM

Feb 2018
Glad we got to see more of Sakura this episode.
Now that she's a nurse there we might see more of her.
Not really sure what to expect for this competition thing with Lum for next episode, but hopefully its worth the wait.
Nov 11, 2022 7:07 PM
Feb 2022
Finally, character development
Nov 11, 2022 8:10 PM
Aug 2022
Upon reflection ending for ending, I liked the old anime's Christmas ep and this one equally.

For everything else, the old one wins. It was deeper, more creative and entertaining in all possible ways.

Lum knitting Ataru a scarf while he's using yo-yo trick shots to raise skirts, and then shocking his friends for dissing him was great stuff. The way Ataru and Megane passive-agressively greeted each other by clapping their arms, then the troopers creating their love letter plan while eating like madmen, Megane looking like the Joker with his lipstick on, scaring everyone. I just love what Mamoru Oshii did with these characters... he was an insanely good director.

When Lum learns Ataru has a date, in the og show, she is genuinely hurt and cries in his arms. In the new one, she cries in Mendo's arms, tries to make Ataru jealous. Even though the new one is closer to the manga, it's a weak Lum moment.

Lastly, in the og episode she actually intercepts the fake Otoko who's out there to humiliate Ataru and she shocks the bitch to take her place. Imo it's way more powerful than just showing up because no one does.

New episode wins only on the color palette.
Nov 11, 2022 9:18 PM

Jul 2017
When there's a new woman in town, Ataru would try to entice, but in this case, it's shrine maiden Sakura. Whatever the case, the case of a cursed boxing glove that raises love and conflict, called the "Love Clincher" and "Rage Hitter", what a fierce combo. The only way to exorcise it is to make it feel like it's in the boxing ring, and Ataru got what he wished, for better or for worse.

Shutaro's love letters sent by all the girls, it's a mountain of affection. And then there's Lum and Ataru. The boys who want to get back at Shutaro, poise a love letter for Ataru, but being the love idiot he is, adding the insult to injury, he just doesn't care. Turning the sham onto a bet for class president, the boys are at their wits lend, and finding someone who can replicate their sham, works out as it should but didn't come to fruition. And the day of the date comes...and the horndog doesn't give up for how long the girl will show up. Only except that Lum, also being at her wits end, chooses to help her useless husband-to-be to get through this episode.

Slowly but surely, through their love-hate relationship, it's clear that Lum still has a place in Ataru's heart, albeit begrudgingly.
Nov 11, 2022 10:29 PM

Dec 2018
The ending was quite cute ^.^
Nov 11, 2022 11:34 PM

Aug 2010
The last scene of the last half of the episode is very cute. :D
Nov 12, 2022 12:02 AM
Jun 2021
FINALLY I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS EPS!! MY PATIENCE HAS BEEN PAYOFF!!
Nov 12, 2022 4:44 AM
Apr 2022
Ataru showing his less degenerate side, which will probably be a pretty rare occurence, and it was great. his view on gender equality seems misguided tho, should have hit men and women equally like a certain character from index
Nov 12, 2022 4:53 AM

May 2021
She may be Pikachu when he first started travelling with Ash but I'm still glad she got something.

Nov 12, 2022 5:09 AM
Feb 2021
too good! and lum is so cute in this episode
Nov 12, 2022 5:51 AM

Jan 2015
Will he finally discover the best girl's charms? O.O
Trying my best with english d-_-b
Nov 12, 2022 6:20 AM
Oct 2019
I'm so happy Sakura is back, i just love her VA Miyuki Sawashiro voice.

Ataru finally realized Lum was attractive?
Bruhh what are you doing all this time LMAO

them holding hand together was so cute.
Nov 12, 2022 7:39 AM
Nov 2010
Oh nice, that ending part is so sweet! I think that's actually the point when Ataru starts pretty serious about Lum. Looking forward to more developments between them!
Nov 12, 2022 10:13 AM
Sep 2010
Skulljujos said:
T3chol3gTr3ndi said:

In all honesty this is the only anime that I've watched with him in but he is really living up to Toshio Furukawa's Ataru.

He is Otonashi from Angel Beats and Levi from Attack on Titan

Skulljujos said:
T3chol3gTr3ndi said:

In all honesty this is the only anime that I've watched with him in but he is really living up to Toshio Furukawa's Ataru.

And also Saiki Kusuo, Takeda Ittetsu from Haikyuu and Izaya from Durarara and so many more. Kamiya is a legend!
SimplyfxNov 12, 2022 10:22 AM
Nov 12, 2022 2:25 PM

Mar 2019
The second half of this episode was really good. Loved the visual of Lum sitting on top of the pole while worrying about Ataru.
Nov 12, 2022 3:39 PM

Feb 2012
THE SHRINE MAIDEN IS NOW THE SCHOOL NURSE! That's a fun and wacky first half, cursed boxing gloves. Although Ataru does not want Lum for wife, he will certainly not let himself get physical, taking his own punch.

Ataru has eyes for every girl besides Lum, even one he hasn't even seen. He has no problem with Lum being in Mendou's arms and even encourages it. Lum can't help but feel sorry for Ataru being the victim of a prank and will not let him be stood up.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Nov 12, 2022 4:30 PM
Sep 2018
So we have a horni glove and the other is a Conor McGregor glove. Lum looked so cute like my god when her and blushing Ataru were walking together holding hands 😍😍😍
Nov 12, 2022 4:34 PM

Aug 2020
The most heartwarming episode by far. She will go as far as saving her darling from public shame.

Great. Looking forward to more moments like this.

Nov 12, 2022 10:56 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
Ataru was such a tsundere at the end of the second half. It was hilarious yet heartwarming.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Nov 13, 2022 3:32 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Simplyfx said:
Skulljujos said:

Skulljujos said:

And also Saiki Kusuo, Takeda Ittetsu from Haikyuu and Izaya from Durarara and so many more. Kamiya is a legend!

Araragi from Monogatari is fairly comparable to Ataru in addition.
Nov 13, 2022 3:57 AM

Mar 2012
If there is one thing this series has to it's advantage over its wacked out comedy

When the serious moments hit, they hit hard. lol ah these moments are pretty much the highlight of the series for me.
Nov 13, 2022 4:03 AM
Jan 2020
Cute Episode, Funny and lovey dovey. How will the actress repay for her food though lol.
Nov 13, 2022 4:41 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
-ShadowClaw- said:
If there is one thing this series has to it's advantage over its wacked out comedy

When the serious moments hit, they hit hard. lol ah these moments are pretty much the highlight of the series for me.

The thing is that the series will just revert to the status quo from what i'm seeing, maybe there'll be some continuity with Ataru growing more attached to Lum but i don't think it's happening just yet.
Nov 13, 2022 6:47 AM

Oct 2013
I liked it. And it actually showed some spark of romance happen, on mutual sides, between the two. And showed how supportive Lum was. Either way, Ataru's still a dumb***, but it is what it is. At least he's noticing Lum more now
"We brawlers are sustained by willpower! Even when mocked as reckless and crazy!"
Nov 13, 2022 7:11 AM

Mar 2012
Smudy said:
-ShadowClaw- said:

The thing is that the series will just revert to the status quo from what i'm seeing, maybe there'll be some continuity with Ataru growing more attached to Lum but i don't think it's happening just yet.

I know i saw the original series over a decade ago so i know how it goes but these moments still make a big impact.

Who knows maybe this time it will be a little more streamlined than the original but we shall see.
Nov 13, 2022 9:51 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
-ShadowClaw- said:
Smudy said:

I know i saw the original series over a decade ago so i know how it goes but these moments still make a big impact.

Who knows maybe this time it will be a little more streamlined than the original but we shall see.

I definitely appreciated the heartwarming moment cause it came unexpected for me knowing he's such a womanizer for everyone else besides Lum, sprinkle it in every now and then, we're gucci!
Nov 13, 2022 10:21 AM

Apr 2012
-ShadowClaw- said:
Smudy said:

The show is less episodes right? Wouldn't it make sense to have romantic progression sooner?
Nov 13, 2022 10:57 AM
Nov 2021
do u think this anime would have been better if the production house made this anime like modern 2020 type instead of 1990 vibe
Nov 13, 2022 11:17 AM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Space_Michael_5 said:
I love that they still gave a nod to that old episode by making the fake girl's name "Otoko Kumino" instead of the manga's "Shinobi Nobade".

Wasn't it already like that originally?
Nov 13, 2022 11:50 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
ShigumaH said:
-ShadowClaw- said:

The show is less episodes right? Wouldn't it make sense to have romantic progression sooner?

Should have seen Maison Ikkoku LOL (do watch it though, it's a beautiful, classic show)
Nov 13, 2022 12:44 PM
Jul 2019
Best episode so far

Another reason why I still watch RomComs

Mod Edit: Merged subsequent posts
PhloupNov 13, 2022 1:04 PM
Nov 13, 2022 12:50 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Lum's hair > candy, btw. :D

Yum!
Nov 13, 2022 12:54 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
moozooh said:

Yum!

From the scenes and imagery i saw of her from the OG, i think i actually prefer how she looks in the remake, stunning shot.
Nov 13, 2022 1:04 PM
Jul 2014
Smudy said:
moozooh said:

Yum!

From the scenes and imagery i saw of her from the OG, i think i actually prefer how she looks in the remake, stunning shot.

You should check out her pachinko appearances. It's a middle ground between her modern and old design and it's personally my favourite!
Nov 13, 2022 1:10 PM
Jan 2015
I feel like Lum should dress modestly more often, she looks way better in her disguise than her cheetah print
Nov 13, 2022 1:17 PM
Mar 2017
Smudy said:
moozooh said:

Yum!

would be even more stunning in a swimsuit just my personal opinion tho
Nov 13, 2022 1:20 PM
Sep 2018
I was laughing my ass off during this ep lmfao.
Nov 13, 2022 1:36 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
digdri98 said:
Smudy said:

would be even more stunning in a swimsuit just my personal opinion tho

Touché. Maybe we'll get that soon, too.
Nov 13, 2022 1:51 PM
Go read Medalist
Apr 2007
Isn't her tiger bikini already a swimsuit, technically speaking?
Nov 13, 2022 1:55 PM
Mar 2020
I have never watched the og version, but watching this I feel like this anime is missing something. It kinda want's to be like an old show meanwhile doing things in modern way
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2022

394 by UzAnas »»
Sep 20, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2023

96 by Muow »»
Sep 8, 8:05 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2022

54 by dspr »»
Aug 5, 5:26 PM

» Don't worry, Ranma 1/2 remake will follow... Probably new Maison Ikkoku as well. ( 1 2 )

Ajvisor - Jan 1, 2022

85 by wildhood »»
Aug 1, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2022

72 by dspr »»
Jul 28, 6:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.