Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Don't worry, Ranma 1/2 remake will follow... Probably new Maison Ikkoku as well.

New
Jan 1, 2022 5:49 AM
May 2018
Myself I still haven't watched Ranma 1/2, but I do know that it is one of the most famous titles legendary Kappei Yamaguchi and Megumi Hayashibara were involved with...

And from what I heard, it wasn't completely adapted, for whatever reason.

Now, one thing that I am sure of is that Ranma 1/2 remake won't happen because original anime was incomplete - otherwise they would have made a sequel maybe even before Inuyasha became a thing.

To be honest, for a while now I kinda expected that old Rumiko Takahashi's works will receive new adaptations sometime in this decade, since, well they are some of the most iconic series in history of anime, and we kind of live in the era of revivals now.

Now, whether they are necessary or not, what can I say, is ANY anime necessary?

It doesn't matter how good original adaptation was, or whether or not it was complete, or how iconic original voice actors were, as long as the new adaption can make more money, and let's be honest, young fans will always prefer new versions...

Personally, I am not the biggest fan of Takahashi, but still, I love the fact that old school stories of hers will be brought to life in the current era we live in.

Btw, please cut some slack to new Lum and Ataru - Sumire Uesaka, and Kamiya Hiroshi.

They aren't just replacements for Fumi Hirano, and Toshio Furukawa, but the ones who inherited those iconic characters from them, and at this point both of them proved that they are wonderful seiyu in their own right.

Also, this new Urusei Yatsura anime doesn't need to have a spirit of the original adaptation.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 2, 2022 2:35 AM

Aug 2009
Was Urusei Yatsura anime complete? I don't remember Lum marrying anyone in the anime tv series.
Jan 2, 2022 3:02 AM

Jul 2015
Anime went more mainstream than ever in the last few years. Now we are getting reeadaptations of classics.
I hope Yu Yu Hakusho and Berserk will get a proper readaptation as well.

Jan 2, 2022 3:09 AM

Mar 2018
Piromysl said:
Anime went more mainstream than ever in the last few years. Now we are getting reeadaptations of classics.

agree on YYH, but I dont feel Berserk really needs an anime nor do I feel they could do it well
Jan 2, 2022 3:13 AM

Sep 2017
Psajdak said:
Now, one thing that I am sure of is that Ranma 1/2 remake won't happen because original anime was incomplete - otherwise they would have made a sequel maybe even before Inuyasha became a thing.

I doubt that. The original anime of Fruits Basket was also incomplete, but they still remade it and actually completed the new series. We already have precedence of an old incomplete series getting remade and completed.
~ May all the beauty be blessed ~
Jan 2, 2022 3:19 AM

Jun 2016
I wasn't worried. I haven't seen Ranma and Maison Ikkoku yet but if they're even half as good as Urusei Yatsura then I'm going to like them without needing a remake.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 2, 2022 3:58 AM

Dec 2015
As much as i'm happy for a david production urusei yatsura adaptation, maison ikkoku doesn't really need a remake. On the contrary, it would completely loose the strong nostalgia effect about the '80s that the series gained just because of its old age...
Jan 2, 2022 4:33 AM

May 2020
Maison Ikkoku relies heavily on the old payphones, and a whole lot of miscommunication, so I would be interested to see if a remake would still be set in the 1980s because mobile phones would clear up a lot of the dilemmas too easily.
Jan 2, 2022 5:19 AM

Feb 2016
Yeah i'm happy for Urusei Yatsura too but i agree with errante77, Maison Ikkoku doesn't need any remake
Jan 2, 2022 5:46 AM

May 2018
Damn, it would be great if they remade Ranma. Everyone would love it for sure. But I'm afraid the show is too controversial to be aired in the current age. There would be too many sjw/feminist/gender-shmender/whatever hypocrite freaks attacking it.

Jan 2, 2022 7:04 AM

Jun 2020
I hope all of them do. I have always wanted to watch Rumiko Takahashi's works, but haven't got around to it coz of old animation. David Production is really picking up these old classics and giving them brand new adaptation.
Jan 2, 2022 7:30 AM
Apr 2018
IMO Urusei Yatsura is her best work.

Ranma 1/2 is probably second. And Maison Ikkoku is just mediocre. Ranma is like a watered down Urusei Yatsura, replacing aliens with Chinese martial arts and instead of a lovable heroine like Lum we get the most boring woman like Akane.

One thing I don't like with Ranma and Maison Ikkoku is that... some female characters act like women in real life. I know the author is a woman, and it shows in these works. I can't stand it when characters act like that... being annoying, not saying it straightly about what they want and why they're upset. I have to deal with women's behaviors in real life. Don't want more in manga.
Jan 2, 2022 8:56 AM

Jan 2019
Rumiko Takahashi's works are well known, and Urusei Yatsura is no different. Here where I live, in Brazil, Inuyasha is the anime most known and liked by the public, regardless of age. It is great to have a remake of one of the most nostalgic projects for the childhood of many people. It's an evolution within the Japanese market. I didn't see the current remakes with a good perspective, because people much preferred the original material and the first anime (Shaman King and Dragon Quest), but now I'm happy that they are bringing this ambitious project. And if it works out (I hope), it's possible that we'll have more decent remakes coming in the future. This builds a new audience and gets a lot of people who have stopped watching anime to come back with this giant media. It's beneficial for everyone.

I hope that the staff that is committed to the project will keep the essence of Rumiko and not disappoint the large amount of its fans. That's the least we can expect from a timeless story.

Jan 2, 2022 8:56 AM

Jan 2019
Rumiko Takahashi's works are well known, and Urusei Yatsura is no different. Here where I live, in Brazil, Inuyasha is the anime most known and liked by the public, regardless of age. It is great to have a remake of one of the most nostalgic projects for the childhood of many people. It's an evolution within the Japanese market. I didn't see the current remakes with a good perspective, because people much preferred the original material and the first anime (Shaman King and Dragon Quest), but now I'm happy that they are bringing this ambitious project. And if it works out (I hope), it's possible that we'll have more decent remakes coming in the future. This builds a new audience and gets a lot of people who have stopped watching anime to come back with this giant media. It's beneficial for everyone.

I hope that the staff that is committed to the project will keep the essence of Rumiko and not disappoint the large amount of its fans. That's the least we can expect from a timeless story.

Jan 2, 2022 10:06 AM

Jul 2009
Is this a remake!? I wonder how they'll do it!
わくわくします。(I'm excited. "wakuwaku shimasu.")

ezikialrage said:
Was Urusei Yatsura anime complete? I don't remember Lum marrying anyone in the anime tv series.
The anime itself never gave any "finishing touches" for the story. It had I think 6 movies that continued/completed(?) the series (TV/movie combined).
Jan 2, 2022 11:25 AM

Jun 2012
ezikialrage said:

It was complete. It just had an open ended ending. Lum marrying Ataru was never the "goal" of the series.
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 2, 2022 11:38 AM

Mar 2021
Casey9412 said:
Piromysl said:

agree on YYH, but I don't feel Berserk really needs an anime nor do I feel they could do it well

You underestimate some studios. If they were given enough time and budget a few of the mega studios could pull it off (Toei, Sunrise, MAPPA), if however, you give it to smaller studios like Wit, it would take 20 years to finish.
Jan 2, 2022 11:40 AM

Mar 2018
TarifKabir said:
Casey9412 said:

agree on YYH, but I dont feel Berserk really needs an anime nor do I feel they could do it well

You underestimate some studios. If they were given enough time and budget a few of the mega studios could pull it off (Toei, Sunrise, MAPPA), if however you give it to a smaller stdio like Wit, it would take 20 years to finish.

I think MAPPA and Toei would quite possibly be the worst choices for a Berserk anime if they really were going to push their luck and attempt another.

Miuras art is what makes Berserk as standout as it is and I dont really see any studio being able to make it animated without totally abandoning the original style.
Jan 2, 2022 11:55 AM

Jul 2009
Haunt-bot said:
ezikialrage said:

It was complete. It just had an open ended ending. Lum marrying Ataru was never the "goal" of the series.
Well..
Jan 2, 2022 12:05 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I hate Maison Ikkoku, the shit is stupid, unfunny, repetitive, and unbelievably stupid. If the other stuff of the author is like this then no thank you.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jan 2, 2022 2:19 PM
Oct 2013
cchigu said:
I hate Maison Ikkoku, the shit is stupid, unfunny, repetitive, and unbelievably stupid. If the other stuff of the author is like this then no thank you.

That's an odd take. Do you hate other classics like Kimagure Orange Road and Touch as well? I find Maison Ikkoku to be a realistic and touching look at a group of people all with different sets of circumstances brought together by their close living quarters. Of all Takahashi's works, Maison Ikkoku has the most soul by far. I have never been so emotionally moved by a work of fiction. It's the complete opposite of Urusei Yatsura. Instead of being completely gag-oriented and one-shot chapter based, Maison Ikkoku tells a complete story with a satisfying ending, something that no other Takahashi story can boast. The series does not need to be remade, both the manga and anime are perfect. fanboy out.
Jan 2, 2022 2:37 PM

Feb 2008
cchigu said:

Ok kid, go back to Naruto.
Jan 2, 2022 2:40 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
sick_basterd said:
cchigu said:

That's an odd take. Do you hate other classics like Kimagure Orange Road and Touch as well? I find Maison Ikkoku to be a realistic and touching look at a group of people all with different sets of circumstances brought together by their close living quarters. Of all Takahashi's works, Maison Ikkoku has the most soul by far. I have never been so emotionally moved by a work of fiction. It's the complete opposite of Urusei Yatsura. Instead of being completely gag-oriented and one-shot chapter based, Maison Ikkoku tells a complete story with a satisfying ending, something that no other Takahashi story can boast. The series does not need to be remade, both the manga and anime are perfect. fanboy out.
Maison Ikkoku's greatest fault to me is its length. Le classic ol' blueballing every fucking episode gets tiring after max 20 episodes; The author introduces characters to incite jealousy, making the show more frustrating; I don't see the behavior of any of the side characters grounded to reality, they are fun, sure, but their behavior feel non-humanistic, especially the other tenants aside from Goda; the heroine has no personality aside from being an ideal woman with no flaws, such a boring girl.

SidVicious said:
cchigu said:

Ok kid, go back to Naruto.
No, old geezer with shitty taste, Naruto sucks, although not as much as Maison Ikkoku.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jan 2, 2022 7:51 PM

Apr 2009
I love Maison Ikkoku. I don't think that one needs a remake, it holds up great. Ranma could use a more manga accurate one maybe! Would be long, but I'd be for it.

New UY is a fun thing! Oshii and co did so nicely in the original series, and it covered a lot of chapters. Can't see that library episode being done better. But here's looking forward to what they got for us!
Psycho_SanjiJan 2, 2022 7:56 PM
Jan 2, 2022 7:57 PM

Jun 2014
cchigu said:

I agree. Maison Ikkoku is one of the worst anime ever made, and Urusei Yatsura suffers from the same problems. I'm just not a fan of Rumiko Takahashi's works, as they aren't funny at all, but instead, are extremely annoying.

Jan 3, 2022 7:04 AM
Apr 2018
cchigu said:

Thanks god, none of her other works are anything similar to Maison Ikkoku.
RomangeloJan 3, 2022 7:12 AM
Jan 3, 2022 7:19 AM

May 2015
I literally scrolled down to discussions section for Ranma 1/2 LMAO, it's one of my all time favorite and one the funniest shits I've ever seen, seriously, watch it, the only terrible thing about it is indeed that it's incomplete and for that I sure do hope it gets a remake.
Psajdak said:
They did make OVA sequels, not sure if they count or not but I think they sort of do.

Maison Ikkoku doesn't need a remake but personally I wouldn't care if it did, tho, because I wouldn't watch it as I loathe one of the characters to the point I had to fast forward throughout their episodes because I couldn't stand them and to control my rage, I do definitely not want to see them again.
TheBerserkerJan 3, 2022 7:34 AM
Jan 3, 2022 7:36 AM

Oct 2010
maison ikkoku would not look good in these new years, even urusei yatsura will look weird, just leave the past like that
Jan 3, 2022 8:07 AM

May 2015
Casey9412 said:
TarifKabir said:

You underestimate some studios. If they were given enough time and budget a few of the mega studios could pull it off (Toei, Sunrise, MAPPA), if however you give it to a smaller stdio like Wit, it would take 20 years to finish.

I think MAPPA and Toei would quite possibly be the worst choices for a Berserk anime if they really were going to push their luck and attempt another.

Miuras art is what makes Berserk as standout as it is and I dont really see any studio being able to make it animated without totally abandoning the original style.
Madhouse could easily pull it off, it's not impossible to make it just needs the right hands, if it was possible in the 90s then it's definitely possible nowadays as well, David Production could make it too among others.
Apr 2, 2022 9:17 PM
Apr 2018
As an Asian, I understand the thing about cultures being portrayed in Maison Ikkoku. Married woman who lost her husband would have a hard time starting a new life in the old days Asian traditions, I know that.

Even so, I hate Maison Ikkoku. It's terribly stupid even if you understand the cultures. Reading that manga made me want to beat up both the protagonist and the woman so many times.
Apr 13, 2022 11:44 AM

Jan 2018
I didn't watch every single Rumiko Takahashi anime out there but Maison Ikkoku is easily the best Rumiko Takahashi anime out of the ones I've seen. Out of all Rumiko Takahashi anime, I'd say this one "needs" a remake the least if one at all.

Besides the show's aesthetics, certain parts of the story won't make sense at all in a modern setting. So it'd have to be set in the 80's to fully work without massive rewrites. And I'd rather watch a show set in the 80s to actually be from the 80s.
Apr 28, 2022 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
TecholegTrendi said:
Maison Ikkoku relies heavily on the old payphones, and a whole lot of miscommunication, so I would be interested to see if a remake would still be set in the 1980s because mobile phones would clear up a lot of the dilemmas too easily.
I’m sorry but plenty of anime got misunderstandings that can easily be solved by stuff your talking about yet the authors always find way around that
May 1, 2022 1:31 AM

Jan 2020
Romangelo said:
IMO Urusei Yatsura is her best work.

Ranma 1/2 is probably second. And Maison Ikkoku is just mediocre. Ranma is like a watered down Urusei Yatsura, replacing aliens with Chinese martial arts and instead of a lovable heroine like Lum we get the most boring woman like Akane.

One thing I don't like with Ranma and Maison Ikkoku is that... some female characters act like women in real life. I know the author is a woman, and it shows in these works. I can't stand it when characters act like that... being annoying, not saying it straightly about what they want and why they're upset. I have to deal with women's behaviors in real life. Don't want more in manga.

Inuyasha is her best and most popular work.
May 1, 2022 1:33 AM

Jan 2020
TheBerserker said:
I literally scrolled down to discussions section for Ranma 1/2 LMAO, it's one of my all time favorite and one the funniest shits I've ever seen, seriously, watch it, the only terrible thing about it is indeed that it's incomplete and for that I sure do hope it gets a remake.
Psajdak said:
They did make OVA sequels, not sure if they count or not but I think they sort of do.

Maison Ikkoku doesn't need a remake but personally I wouldn't care if it did, tho, because I wouldn't watch it as I loathe one of the characters to the point I had to fast forward throughout their episodes because I couldn't stand them and to control my rage, I do definitely not want to see them again.

Ranma 1/2 got kinda annoying after some time, especially Akane. I still watched it all, but was disappointed with the “ending” or lack thereof. Felt like such a waste…
May 4, 2022 7:47 PM

Dec 2021
Animillion said:
TheBerserker said:

Ranma 1/2 got kinda annoying after some time, especially Akane. I still watched it all, but was disappointed with the “ending” or lack thereof. Felt like such a waste…

It's obviously a different anime from Urusei Yatsura, but I couldn't help but notice that there was a vacuum in the romance department with that anime. Ranma and Akane never felt like anything more than just "good friends", from beginning to end. I've never read the manga, so maybe it puts more effort into that.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 19, 2022 5:37 AM

Aug 2021
Maison Ikkoku is the one I'm most looking forward to...
May 19, 2022 5:41 AM

Apr 2011
Maison Ikkoku is perfect as the anime it was and does not need any sort of remake (a remaster maybe).

If they remade any of her works I'd rather have Mermaid Tears.
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
May 19, 2022 5:45 AM
Apr 2022
Piromysl said:

I agree and disagree. It would be nice to see a Yu Yu Hakusho remake follow the manga a bit better, but honestly I still love the the way the series turned out, and the character designs are something that I don’t think would turn out all that well digitally unless they really committed to the style. Idk if everyone in the English VA cast is still available or around to do so, since I haven’t really kept up with their work.
May 19, 2022 5:52 AM

Feb 2020
only thing i am interested in is the new Mao manga adaptation and maybe rin-ne continuation. rest of rumiko works already have a serviceable adaptation and almost complete adapation. Ranma 1/2 per say has the worst ending out of all her manga. so i dont think i want to see that. U are better of watching monkey punch's cindrella boy over it if u are that into such troll ending.
Also one pound gospel probably deserve a better adaptation that that ova. (though it still has a good live action adaptation)
AdampkMay 19, 2022 6:00 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

May 21, 2022 4:53 PM
Nov 2020
Ranma 1/2 was probably my first anime, it wasn’t one of the best shows i’ve ever seen, it had its highs and lows (and alot of filler) but i had a lot of fun watching it all the same. I would welcome a re-adaptation of Ranma 1/2
May 21, 2022 5:14 PM

Jan 2009
Ranma 1/2 remake will be good for sure even if the animation quality is that of Shaman King 2021 lol
May 21, 2022 6:02 PM

Apr 2020
I don't need a remake of InuYasha, just saying. I think it's perfect the way it is.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Nov 16, 2022 10:36 AM
Oct 2019
In all honest the new Urusei Yatsura seems great the old Anime like Ranma 1/2 or Urusei Yatsura were great but just something about having a new animation of it graphics great so I do hope that a new Ranma 1/2 is made. I mean their was one reason why it didn't continue and that was canceled due to low ratings come on bet if it was remade or continued it ve loved by alot. Also I know Rumiko Takahashi is alive. If its not finished then see if any of people who do make anime and see if she could ether contine the manga to its final end or give it a ending we want.
Nov 16, 2022 10:39 AM
Oct 2019
Animillion said:
TheBerserker said:

Actually theirs a reason why it didn't contine it was low ratings back then but if they contine it wouldn't be bad I truly liked the anime n hoped ending would be giving but slowly give each character a love interest and for ranma n Akane to get closer to each other even episodes of ranma seeing his mom to point she ether knows its him or he tells her
Nov 16, 2022 12:34 PM

Apr 2022
Nemo_Niemand said:
Damn, it would be great if they remade Ranma. Everyone would love it for sure. But I'm afraid the show is too controversial to be aired in the current age. There would be too many sjw/feminist/gender-shmender/whatever hypocrite freaks attacking it.

yea ppl will be complaining about Ranma nowadays, especially with a character like Happosai
Nov 16, 2022 1:48 PM
Apr 2017
Nemo_Niemand said:

As if the Japanese would give a damn about American sentiments
Nov 16, 2022 2:58 PM

Feb 2016
cchigu said:

Maison Ikkoku is the only work of Rumiko's I dislike. Please don't give up on her.
その目だれの目?
Nov 17, 2022 1:29 AM

Dec 2021
Lucifrost said:
cchigu said:

Maison Ikkoku is the only work of Rumiko's I dislike. Please don't give up on her.

Same here. I love most of her works (Except Maris the Chojo and Fire Tripper, those were mid), but Maison Ikkoku is just painful to watch. The only thing that makes me want to finish it is that it allegedly has a very un-Takahashi end.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Nov 17, 2022 2:10 AM

May 2018
One167 said:
Nemo_Niemand said:

As if the Japanese would give a damn about American sentiments

But isn't Japan a USA's henchman atm? Damns might probably be given.

Nov 17, 2022 8:44 AM

Feb 2016
Daviljoe193 said:
it allegedly has a very un-Takahashi end.

I dropped Maison Ikkoku early on. In what sense is the ending different?
その目だれの目?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2022

154 by red1130 »»
Apr 17, 9:51 AM

» Does this get better or the overall feel of the series can be sensed in it's first episodes?

BiobulletM - Mar 12

7 by 0451 »»
Apr 13, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

52 by adaminop »»
Apr 5, 9:53 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2023

52 by ArctiKFox »»
Mar 30, 8:00 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

141 by CarbonMD »»
Mar 23, 8:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.