Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 8, 2008 5:34 AM
Aug 2007
Just a few rhetorically-minded questions and some observations from the ep:

Any theories? Although if you're reading the manga don't spoil it XD

1. Why did the president seem to be privy to the attacking force? His reaction and comment that they’d “finally come” indicates that he considered their attack an inevitability. There’s obviously something more to the assailing force than just an aggressive new species/race.

2. Why did the enemy squadron leader enter the city ship, and then approach Ranka specifically when it saw her. Everything points to the fact that the intent of the foe was to find and perhaps retrieve Ranka. This begs the question of what Ranka is, which in turn makes me dubious as to whether she is really Ozma’s sister.

3. Is it it just me or do all the character designs for the minor characters suck?
Apr 8, 2008 12:18 PM

Jun 2007
yay for the green haired girl
yay for not being that bad for mecha
but oh no for pretty simple sci-fi typical story
(as it seems so far, but I don't want to judge it after the first ep.)

Well I enjoyed it so I guess I'll watch some more episodes of this. :)
Apr 8, 2008 1:10 PM

Jan 2008
Although I've already watched the first episode, the new scenes kinda made the plot a bit more logical... One of the few anime so far that I actually want to watch the second episode for this spring season...
Apr 9, 2008 12:37 PM

Oct 2007
I almost went back to watch the deculture edition but changed my mind...don't want to get what officially happened in the first ep confused in my mind, lol! I still think this show has promise! Does anyone else think that Alto looks like Kanda from D. Gray-man?
Apr 9, 2008 6:41 PM
Feb 2008
I think the re-editing did the broadcast version some favors. Great start to what could be a return to form for Macross after Zero.

Apr 10, 2008 8:25 AM

Feb 2008
Although i havnt watched any of the other macross series i loved it! defenatly have high expectations of this show :)
Apr 10, 2008 8:37 AM

Oct 2007
The first Macross Frontier DVD will have a 32 minute version of the first episode which will probably combine both things from here and Deculture.
Apr 13, 2008 8:12 AM
Dec 2007
Hmm, approximately half of this episode was changed compared to the Deculture version, but I feel like the production values of the added scenes are not so great :/ Still, I think that scenaristically speaking, it may be better now so it's all good.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Apr 13, 2008 8:34 AM

Mar 2008
That Nyan-nyan-nyan-nyan-ni-hao-nyan .gif made me watch this one, and well it was alright I guess :p. Haven't seen any other macross series though, if they're connected in some way(?).
Apr 13, 2008 9:17 AM

Oct 2007
They are connected as in the same time line but every series is standalone so you don't need to watch any prior series. For instance in epsiode 2 Ozma (older brother to Ranka) listens to a 10+ year old song on the radio by the main character of Macross 7.
Apr 17, 2008 3:17 AM

Feb 2008
Just watched the new (or edited, if you prefer =P) episode 1. Even though they changed quite a good amount of stuff, I still loved it :D
Apr 19, 2008 11:38 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Wow, holy crap. That was very well animated and action-packed. Loved the episode, I'm glad Menclave are subbing this too together with AnimeOne and Gekkostate.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 19, 2008 11:45 AM

Oct 2007
^ Looks like those guys will be my archive group.
Apr 19, 2008 5:42 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, one hell of a show.

Apr 19, 2008 9:29 PM

Jan 2008
wow what a great first impression... hopefully all the eps will be like this. there was so much detail in some scenes
Apr 19, 2008 9:38 PM
Jan 2007
- speechless -

didn't like the designs much beyond Sheryl, but the animation was amazing ♥

cyruz said:
Wow, holy crap. That was very well animated and action-packed. Loved the episode, I'm glad Menclave are subbing this too together with AnimeOne and Gekkostate.

seeing that on B-U totally made my day :D
Apr 22, 2008 7:46 AM

Sep 2007
Speechless too. Amazing animation

And I like Ranka alot
"Nyan nyan" omg lol
Apr 24, 2008 11:50 AM

Feb 2008
That rocked! Animation was of an awesome quality and I'm liking the characters.
This could well be one of my new favorites.
Apr 25, 2008 7:52 AM

Mar 2008
Well, after watching the "other version" quite a while ago and now watching this, I think that this made a bit more sense.

But to be honest with this show, I only thought it was "not boring".

I like the plane designs, but the setup of the story presented is nothing great anymore today.

BGs and action animation were very good, but the animation of the characters was very cheap.

I also didn't like any of the characters very much. They lacked s.t. basic.

I won't drop it, but I am yet to be convinced that this is s.t. great.
May 3, 2008 11:20 AM

Oct 2007
Forever said:
BGs and action animation were very good, but the animation of the characters was very cheap.

Uh Sheryl concert and a few Ranka scenes were near OVA quality.. if this is "very cheap" than 95% of anime tv shows is "extremely cheap".
May 3, 2008 12:22 PM

Mar 2008
Westlo said:
Forever said:

Uh Sheryl concert and a few Ranka scenes were near OVA quality.. if this is "very cheap" than 95% of anime tv shows is "extremely cheap".

Yes, in some scenes it was outstanding, but often (in the opening too - especially obvious with the green-haired girl) when you saw the characters and behind them the very detailed background pictures, it was really hard not to be disturbed by the plain character art, having not much colors, little detail, big borderlines and often a lack of lighting. In your average anime they have better character art quality.

I don't know how to explain it well, but I got the feeling, they often didn't put much effort in making the character art.
May 3, 2008 12:29 PM

Oct 2007
Character art and actual character animation is different like SFX from music. I get what you're saying now thought I don't agree, backgrounds are always going to be more detailed than character art in a high budget show like this. If anything there is too many colors for the characters, especially hair.
May 3, 2008 1:36 PM

Mar 2008
Westlo said:
Character art and actual character animation is different like SFX from music. I get what you're saying now thought I don't agree, backgrounds are always going to be more detailed than character art in a high budget show like this. If anything there is too many colors for the characters, especially hair.

Yes, I was misleading there. I actually meant the art not the animation. It's just that the score for the art in the reviews is always called animation, too, despite being a family name for everything. So, I used this wrong term here.
Well, in other high-quality shows I never observed a similar case. Well, never mind.

Anyway, I just watched the first episode of Macross Zero and it was so much better than the first episode of Macross F (as a whole). Ok, it's an OVA, but then again it's a bit of an older show.

I am eager to see how this show will develop. But first I will watch the older parts. ^^

EDIT: By the way, what's the deal with that Sheryl having the same name (Nome) as the girl in Macross Zero? Are they related?
ForeverMay 3, 2008 9:36 PM
Jul 15, 2008 1:00 PM

Mar 2008
Finally started the show ^^

Excellent first ep, the battles are really impressive, kinda hard to follow anyway ^^
Watching episode 2 right now.
Aug 1, 2008 7:19 AM

Apr 2007
Finally started this because I wanted to see the green haired loli Ranka in action.

And it was pretty darn good, especially since im no mecha fan. But this looks like it will be alright. 5/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2008 11:43 PM

May 2008
I just watched the first episode and i can say that am completely speechless and
i loved the ending song. Nice seriously.
Oct 24, 2008 9:07 AM

Feb 2008
Good episode, Ranka was cute.
Feb 16, 2009 10:25 PM

May 2008
Oh My God, not only Ranka Lee on the first episode, but Nyanroll too.:D
What a great startoff!

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Mar 16, 2009 6:21 AM

Jan 2008
That was....pretty cool. Sweet animation and music.
Ranka and her "Nyan Nyan" was so cute <3
May 2, 2009 6:00 PM

Jun 2008
"Nyan Nyan" <3

I've already fallen for the characters, this is going to be great. It had amazing artwork, the sky and such. Beautiful!
Jul 1, 2009 1:28 AM

Jun 2009
I've never watched a macross series before. But, that was a really really impressive first episode. Watching the fight scenes, I couldn't believe I was watching a TV show.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 3, 2009 3:32 PM

Jul 2008
Intense looking jet-packs, bitchy pop idol, crazy fangirl waitress, Fukuyama Jun and Kamiya Hiroshi - IN SPACE.

And that's before we get a crazy space battle and random mecha.

Why haven't I watched this show before!?!?!?

BEGINNER
Sep 10, 2009 12:29 PM

Aug 2008
You know, he could just cut his hair, if he doesn't want to be labeled as a girl.
Sep 13, 2009 9:42 PM

Jan 2009
Holy crap that was epic. O_o
Nov 1, 2009 6:51 AM

Jan 2008
Character art is typical 00's style and awful, doesnt compare to the original Macross.

The story and every character featured were boring. Again, doesnt compare to the original.

Pop songs so far were shit. Doesnt compare.

Yoko Kanno music was decent. I'm expecting good stuff from her as usual.

Overall a meh start.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 28, 2009 10:22 PM

Jan 2009
EPIC first ep!
Definitely got me hooked!

Dec 11, 2009 2:10 PM

Apr 2009
Sheryl Nome? Any relation to Sara and Mao Nome from Zero? And Ranka works at Nyan-nyan? Wasn't that the name of Minmay's uncle's restaurant?

Anyway so far so good, though the protracted CG battle scene hurt the episode more than it helped it...
Dec 17, 2009 10:07 AM
Dec 2009
bobide said:

Very true. I think the fan fallout with Macross 7 had them realize that they needed to move back closer to the original formula.

For those of you who haven't seen the original series, you're missing out. I guess if you wanted a quick and dirty crash course in Macross universe go watch the Do You Remember Love OVA. Some points of the story are altered but the general plotline is communicated.

And did you guys seriously miss that calling him princess was them teasing him?

What are you talking about, you idiot? Even though Macross 7 is shit, it was a big hit in Japan and it has sold millions of albums. Anime is aimed at japanese audiences, so they pretty much don't care if westerns hate it. Besides, Ai Oboete Imasu ka is a movie not an OVA, you fool!
Dec 21, 2009 3:23 AM

Apr 2009
The animation/art reminds me of (bad) hentai. I mean look at their heads
Feb 5, 2010 10:44 PM

Jul 2007
The first episode was pretty good. The story was somewhat similar to that of the original Macross. Though I'm not the biggest fan of the character design, the overall animation was very nice.
Sep 11, 2010 11:00 AM

Jan 2009
Nice start, but shit characters so far, hopefully they will deepen their plot.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Sep 15, 2010 9:28 AM
Jan 2010
it is a MUST seeeeee! Wery Good story with balanced action , and singing......
Wach it u wont regret it
Dec 11, 2010 2:14 PM

Sep 2009
I'm impressed. I'm very impressed.
Dec 12, 2010 6:53 PM

Aug 2009
That was one hell of a first episode.

Alto needs a haircut.
Mar 13, 2011 1:40 PM
Jun 2010
3rd or 4th mecha series, this is frikkin amazing dude. Wow...

It had a seriouse tone in it.
Awesome atmosphere
Awesome battle graphics
Just damn amazing! i loved this episode

even the intro and outro were SUPERB.
Jul 1, 2011 6:18 PM

Aug 2009
In times when a BIG MONSTER ALIEN ROBOT THING is coming toward you, wouldnt it be SMART to ATTEMPT to run away?!?!?

DONT JUST LAY THERE! -____-
Jul 1, 2011 7:43 PM

Jun 2009
Lulexiaa said:
In times when a BIG MONSTER ALIEN ROBOT THING is coming toward you, wouldnt it be SMART to ATTEMPT to run away?!?!?

DONT JUST LAY THERE! -____-

Well, in defense of whoever you are talking about (it's been a while since I saw this series) I, and probably other people, would probably be more likely to freak out and freeze. You ever heard of being so afraid you can't move?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 13, 2011 10:06 AM

Jul 2010
I never expected Sheryl to be a bitch.
Dec 10, 2011 4:54 PM

Jun 2008
VVill said:
You know, he could just cut his hair, if he doesn't want to be labeled as a girl.

Ha, a very nice point.

Anyway finally seeing this. Kind of late but what to do. The good for me is that during this 3 years i saw the original Macross and the two OVA's(prequel and sequel) so i guess the world of it won't be completely strange to me. Also i get to watch it in nice Blu-Ray quality.

Anyway the technical department seems strong but the character artwork many times seem to lose it's coherence and i kind of hate that. Is that cheap trick where animators sacrifice solid characters artwork for the feeling of fluent movement and i don't like it. They are taking a shortcut by sacrificing the artwork of the character.
The other bad thing is how obvious is the fact that you are seeing CG when you see the ships in space and planes.

I don't know how to feel about random inexperience school hero guy becoming pilot at the end. I thought that was a Gundam speciality, is Macross trying to establish the same pattern?

Not gonna comment on characters since it's too early but the green hair girl i guess was cute(already saw YouTube videos of that nyan nyan thing before watching this) and kind of laughed with the singer acting all bitchy although i don't expect her to be like that all the way because i know she's a popular character. I guess that's why i found it finny that she was a little bitchy because i thought she was gonna by a Lacus kind of character all nice and sweet.
Dec 14, 2011 8:48 AM

Feb 2009
In all honestly I don't think I'm gonna feel anything for these characters, they already feel bland and uninteresting.

In any case, I loved the whole vibe this space opera setting gives you, and I'm gonna stick with it. This is one of those bigger-than-life struggles!

Oh and the concert artistic work was really something else...
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kurotsuki - Sep 25, 2008

266 by lkevsan »»
Aug 15, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Apr 24, 2008

61 by ManuelFragment »»
May 6, 9:30 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by removed-user »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.