Forum Settings
Forums

Would you travel to another country to meet someone you met online?

New
Would you travel to another country to meet someone you met online?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 23, 2013 1:20 PM

Sep 2011
i met up with someone from online from halfway across the country.....at a public convention, yah this doesnt really count

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 23, 2013 2:08 PM

Dec 2012
No, I hate traveling
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Sep 23, 2013 2:12 PM

Mar 2012
It depends of how long have we talked, if I see them on skype and if they don't look suspicious. I've met some people I have only talked online but I didn't had to travel.
There's no such thing as a painless lesson.
They just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary.
You can't gain anything without losing something first.
Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it,
you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle.
Yeah, a heart made fullmetal.
- Fullmetal Alchemist
Sep 23, 2013 4:03 PM

Mar 2012
InfiniteRufus said:
Not unless I happened to be travelling to the country anyway.
I heard Toronto is nice this time of year~.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 23, 2013 4:07 PM

Jul 2011
I would do it for the sake of friendship, not love. Just because you think you've met the love of your life through the internet, doesn't mean that person acts the same way in real life. I know I don't act the same IRL, so I wouldn't expect others to be any different.
Sep 23, 2013 5:36 PM

Jun 2013
No, I won't. I only go to a specific country for vacation or when my dad does some work there and there's no classes for the meantime, I'd join him.

But if that person happens to be in that place where I'm going then sure, why not.

My dad goes to Central European countries a lot so if a MAL user who lives there asks me to go to him/her, then alright if my dad goes there. (He visits Netherlands and Austria the most, like.. 3 times a year? That's already a lot.)

No. I would not do it for love as I will never fall in love with a person I haven't met in real life.
Sep 23, 2013 6:08 PM

Aug 2012
No, because they might be male-Ruka.

Or female Mellow.
Sep 23, 2013 7:47 PM

Aug 2013
If they're sexy.
Sep 23, 2013 7:49 PM

Jun 2013
If I was already in that country I wouldn't mind going a reasonable distance out of my way to meet up with someone I knew online, but to answer your question: No, I would not go specifically to meet that person unless I had a really good reason.
Sep 23, 2013 7:50 PM
Sep 2013
If I was really really good friends with them then yes.
So much anime to watch so little time!!
Sep 24, 2013 7:20 PM

Aug 2013
If I care for them to that extent and I know they're not Pedobear, I see no harm.
Sep 25, 2013 6:16 AM

Jun 2008
Harii said:
I would do it for the sake of friendship, not love. Just because you think you've met the love of your life through the internet, doesn't mean that person acts the same way in real life. I know I don't act the same IRL, so I wouldn't expect others to be any different.

I second this. I have done the travel for love myself but I warn any other person that I know online who might be thinking of doing same to be realistic about it. Sure it sounds hell of romantic to do but don't start hearing wedding bells just yet because it will put incredible amount of pressure on fresh relationship. No matter how well or long you know the internet persona someone has shared with you the real life will not be exactly the same. And then there's the physical chemistry, it might or might not be there and there's no way to tell that beforehand. Travel for friendship in my opinion, again approached realistically and weighting security risks, can be a nice way to see new places and save on accommodation fees (Couchsurfing movement comes to mind).
Sep 25, 2013 6:20 AM

Aug 2012
NickyCharisma said:
Why do I seriously doubt that you receive PMs asking you to visit?

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Sep 25, 2013 6:20 AM

Sep 2008
Already did it three times

But sadly it's too expensive for a continuance
Sep 25, 2013 6:24 AM

Mar 2008
I've already done it. US to UK. Things didn't go exactly to plan since she had things get in the way from us hanging out as much as we wanted.
Oct 4, 2013 12:36 PM

Aug 2013
No.

Traveling across the world for someone you only met online isn't romantic, just reeks of desperation. Now traveling across the world for someone you met whilst visiting there and fell in love is romantic.
Like Bob Harris returning for Charlotte in lost in translation that would be romantic as fuck.

Now talking of visiting friends, only if it happens that you are holidaying near to where they live anyway. Not worth the hassle to just visit an online friend for no other reason than to visit. Not to mention nobody is who they say they are....
SpooksOct 4, 2013 12:43 PM
Oct 4, 2013 12:44 PM

Apr 2009
Sure! I've already had two online friends visit me and stay at my place before, one was from the US and the other was from the UK. I've visited the one who lives in the UK too (the US is a bit far away, though I wouldn't mind going to meet someone if it was less expensive) I've also met one of my best friend online at first and then visited him (though tbh that was because I was already near where he lived so going those extra 100 kilometers wasn't a big deal)
I don't see why I wouldn't visit someone if we've already talked a lot and saw each other on Skype and all that. It's a great opportunity to see other places too.

Kibura_Iburasa said:
Traveling across the world for someone you only met online isn't romantic, just reeks of desperation. Now traveling across the world for someone you met whilst visiting there and fell in love is romantic.
Like Bob Harris returning for Charlotte in lost in translation that would be romantic as fuck.

Why would it need to be romantic?
I wouldn't want a long distance relationship but I think visiting online friends is a great idea.
- You're visiting a new country which is great in itself
- Since you're with a person who lives there, they could show you around
- If you're staying at their place you save up the money you'd normally use to pay for a hotel

edit: Didn't actually read the whole original post so I didn't notice the bit about love at the end. Uhhhh. Well since I would already go to visit friends I guess I'd visit someone I wanted to bang too. As for love, well I've never been in love so I can't say much on the topic, but I don't think I'd let myself fall for someone who lived far away in the first place
rodacOct 4, 2013 3:12 PM
deadoptimist said:
Though I think shit-flinging should also have standards - no personal, no behind the scenes.
Oct 4, 2013 1:21 PM

Feb 2010
I would also travel to another country just for the fun of it, so why not try and leech off some free housing while you're there if you know someone that lives there? Worst Case you're still on vacation.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 4, 2013 1:37 PM

Sep 2013
I would If the friend and I have been talking for many years. Then yes I would
Oct 4, 2013 1:46 PM

Dec 2011
I barely leave my house to go to work. And they pay me.....
text27 said:
yes if you read the whole thing...robots will only kill the people you put in-front of them so yeah.

RandomChampion said:
u were that homie in the thong werent u
Oct 4, 2013 2:40 PM

Mar 2008
Spoiler: They only want to meet you to jam it in.
Oct 4, 2013 2:44 PM

Jan 2013
Only if it's like close to where I live like Connecticut or Pennsylvania or something and they ask to meet me i'll probably go there sometime. Other than that I wouldn't travel somewhere far away unless i'm going on vacation there i'll just meet you there as well.
Oct 4, 2013 2:49 PM

Feb 2009
Yes!!
I had an awesome online friend visit me from another country, so I'd like to do the same once I have enough money for it! o/
Cross my heart and hope to die
I promise that I will never lie
and if my promise ever does go
I give to you my eternal soul!
Oct 4, 2013 5:38 PM

Jul 2013
i said yes. because i love adventure and i am on the path to become the Sekai saikyō no butōka!!!
Oct 4, 2013 5:38 PM

Sep 2013
Heavens no, I'd dread to stumble upon someone I met online in real life.
Oct 4, 2013 11:51 PM

May 2012
Lolno. I wouldn't go out of my way to meet up with someone I met online, even if they were in my city. Besides the fact that the chances of them being quite different from how they were online are high, I have enough problems with the friends I already have.
Oct 5, 2013 12:02 AM

Jan 2009
im asocial so no
Oct 5, 2013 5:04 AM

Oct 2013
I'm not sure, so maybe
One day I'll be like Akashi and gain this title "Unbeatable"

“ Since I always win, I'm always right. ”
—Seijūrō Akashi

“ The only one who can beat me, is me. ”
—Daiki Aomine

Oct 7, 2013 8:49 PM
Oct 2013
Well I wouldn't!

But I met my boyfriend after 4 months of talking everyday all day!

I guess if you really get to know them well, talk to them alot, speak to the on Skype and do a video call and you really know them well, then it should be okay.

Or I'm just stupid for trusting people easily haha :P
Oct 8, 2013 1:27 AM
Jul 2012
No. I'm not traveling half-way around the world to find out that the cute Asian girl I met on the internet was actually an obese 40-year old NEET who wants to touch my no-no's.
Oct 10, 2013 9:44 AM

Jul 2013
I will, I don't mind wasting money meeting a friend.
now, if only I have the cash.
Oct 10, 2013 10:20 AM

Aug 2013
Yes I'd definitely travel and then I'd just fuck their brains out whatever gender they are I don't care. And honestly I think you should go too. But you're a girl so they'll be the ones who will rape you.
Oct 10, 2013 9:31 PM

Mar 2011
If they are along the way I guess I would hit them up to see "how bout it?", but no, not in any other circumstance.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Oct 10, 2013 9:37 PM

Sep 2013
Only for you, Maria! Otherwise, no.
Oct 10, 2013 9:51 PM

Mar 2013
B*tch better pay for my expenses.... jk.

If its a case of "True Love" then yes. But with todays society even the truest form of love ends with a divorce, so i cant really say.
Happy Halloween
Oct 10, 2013 9:54 PM

Apr 2013
PDot19 said:

If its a case of "True Love" then yes. But with todays society even the truest form of love ends with a divorce, so i cant really say.
You don't want to meet me? =(

Oct 10, 2013 10:01 PM

Mar 2013
Hiryu12 said:
PDot19 said:

You don't want to meet me? =(

Your the exception. But your still payin though. If you love me, you'l pay the costs.
I had the decency to travel for you :3
Happy Halloween
Oct 10, 2013 10:14 PM

Sep 2011
No. He/She should come over here instead.

Oct 11, 2013 9:54 AM

May 2009
No, I would not.
Oct 15, 2013 8:39 PM

Jun 2013
PDot19 said:

Who the hell would travel to marry a person? I mean just traveling to have a little bit of sex, then come back home and start again.
Xinil said:
Thanks for joining MAL.

Oct 15, 2013 8:57 PM

Mar 2013
Maria_Sama said:
PDot19 said:

Who the hell would travel to marry a person? I mean just traveling to have a little bit of sex, then come back home and start again.

Theres a lot of people that actually do that.

Lol if that's the case then hell no I wouldn't. Waste of time and money.
Happy Halloween
Oct 15, 2013 9:08 PM

Aug 2013
Maria_Sama said:

Maria, you know no romance~
PDot19 said:
If it's a case of "True Love" then yes. But with today's society even the truest form of love ends with a divorce, so I cant really say.

If it ends in divorce, how is it true love?
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Aug 8, 2014 3:39 PM

Jul 2014
Already done. I drove all tye way to Indiana to meet my online GF. I don't regret it one bit because our chemistry IRL was just as good as it was online.
Aug 8, 2014 3:45 PM

Jul 2013
Depends on if I want to meet that person badly enough.
Aug 8, 2014 3:53 PM

Mar 2012
Yes.

But only to Germany, since I live a few kilometres from the border

lel
Aug 8, 2014 3:59 PM

Aug 2014
Only if t's close enough for a cheap and quick trip, like Argentina or Uruguay.

Anything further is just too extreme for me.
Aug 8, 2014 4:05 PM

May 2012
I would. Especially if that person and I know each other for quite sometime. Like I would go to the UK, just to meet one of my closest friends.
""You think you're special? You're not. Everyone lies, everyone hides things...
Nobody makes it through this life being completely honest."
- Izaya

Aug 8, 2014 4:10 PM

Aug 2013
I'd have to see pictures of the person I'm meeting before I consider it. Like, if the person I'm meeting up with says they're 19 years old, I would want to see a picture of them before I go. I wouldn't want to get there, only to find out that person was lying, and is actually like a 40 year old basement dweller.

If they give me proof they are who they say they are though, yes, I would.
Aug 8, 2014 4:18 PM

Apr 2012
Maria_Sama said:
Battlechili1 said:
Probably not, but if I had money to spare, then maybe. Some people are the kind of people you just gotta meet.

What if they offer you to pay all your expense?

Well then Id go. Visiting another country for free? Hello, whod say no?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» How old were you when your birthday stopped being special to you?

Jomfrey - Jun 13

26 by Jomfrey »»
59 minutes ago

» Biggest life hot takes?

Rabnawaz2 - Today

27 by Kwanthemaster »»
2 hours ago

» Overly Specific & Stupid Food Rules/Etiquette

vasipi4946 - Jun 12

23 by MalchikRepaid »»
3 hours ago

» How to improve intelligence

False_Entity - Yesterday

18 by traed »»
6 hours ago

» Talk to your waifu

EmperorThor - Jan 11, 2023

21 by Noboru »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.