Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 13, 2013 11:07 AM

Jan 2013
great ^^
Mar 13, 2013 2:13 PM
Feb 2012
A beach episode that wasn't overshadowed by fanservice. Love Live, you're doing a fine job at being a good anime.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Mar 13, 2013 2:40 PM
Mar 2013
to add to symbv's post, the girls are also wearing their casual clothes from the Wonderful Rush 5th PV
OwaMar 14, 2013 12:20 PM
Mar 13, 2013 4:17 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
symbv said:
Watching the episode a few times (FOUR times in fact)
Other anime shows are going to get jealous you know...
Mar 13, 2013 9:37 PM
Feb 2013
Magito said:
I lol at Umi's scary face. It's like it came out from a horror scene XD

Scary Umi-chan is scary! 0_o;

i agree with you
Mar 14, 2013 7:05 AM

Apr 2011
so the only girls that can cook is Nico-chan? and Kotori-chan?
Mar 14, 2013 7:21 AM

Sep 2012
Another great find. This time by detail-oriented fans in Japan. I really wonder how many times they checked the anime before finding this.

This is from the last episode, but anyway:
Tell me anything special you see in the scene below?

Answer:

Amazing! Isn't it!

symbvMar 14, 2013 7:44 AM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 14, 2013 7:44 AM

Sep 2012
Cratex said:
symbv said:
Watching the episode a few times (FOUR times in fact)
Other anime shows are going to get jealous you know...
Yeah, I feel sorry for them ;-) But I can't help looking it time and again just to go through the same fun again and pick up the small details of the abundance of lovely expressions and gestures of those girls. And the music as well. Among shows this season, shows where there are episodes I check more than once are mostly those with very good character sakuga(art and animation) like Vivired or Tamako Market but never as many times and as often as LoveLive...

Bonus:

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Mar 15, 2013 5:14 AM

Apr 2011
I watch love live more than a three times per episode as well. Maybe even more! It's that enjoyable. The last time an anime made me watch multiple times an episode is Girls und Panzer.

Btw, how's the reception of the anime series in Japan? I'm curious how popular this is in Japan right now.
Mar 15, 2013 5:42 AM

Sep 2012
Magito said:
Btw, how's the reception of the anime series in Japan? I'm curious how popular this is in Japan right now.
As you can see in my earlier posts in this thread, fans in Japan are very keen on this show - all those effort to dig out details or generating fan-made contents like gif, MAD or fan art is testimony to its high popularity (this is something similar to Girls und Panzer). Currently the pre-sales data show it is heading towards the BEST SELLING show in this season. Its CD album and singles are staying on chart for weeks and doing well. It may not yet rival Idol@Master in popularity but Muse's recognition has jumped leaps and bounds because of the widespread positive feedback for this anime.

Mar 15, 2013 7:43 PM
Dec 2011
symbv said:
Magito said:
As you can see in my earlier posts in this thread, fans in Japan are very keen on this show - all those effort to dig out details or generating fan-made contents like gif, MAD or fan art is testimony to its high popularity (this is something similar to Girls und Panzer). Currently the pre-sales data show it is heading towards the BEST SELLING show in this season. Its CD album and singles are staying on chart for weeks and doing well. It may not yet rival Idol@Master in popularity but Muse's recognition has jumped leaps and bounds because of the widespread positive feedback for this anime.

That's good to hear. I'm very pleased with the quality of this anime.
Mar 17, 2013 12:22 AM
Feb 2007
I thought I'm the only one who watches Love Live more than once. :3

Great episode. I like this than the previous one.
Mar 17, 2013 12:16 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Sentress said:
I thought I'm the only one who watches Love Live more than once. :3
There are a few around here. I personally would never admit to doing so, even if I did.

Don't misunderstand me. I'd never do such a thing.
Mar 18, 2013 1:49 AM

Dec 2012
Magito said:

I don't know about the numbers but the energy is definitely there. This anime may certainly have many passionate followers

and just like symbv said, the collection of fan arts for this anime is huge.
ThangLongMar 18, 2013 1:52 AM
Mar 18, 2013 7:33 AM

Dec 2012

In contrary with some people, I think this is the best episode of Love Live! so far regarding character development, atmospheric build-up, and animation quality.

A Maki and Nozomi-centric episode, the focus suddenly turned to our red-hair beauty, as well as the mysterious mother-figure who helped the group come together.

Maki is definitely the designated Tsundere of this show. But unlike similar characters in other generic anime, she is more relateable. Her origin, from a high-class family with musical talent and promising future, is much different from the group's working-class origin. So her outlook in life is just not in tune with other girls. It also didn't help that she is continuously portrayed as the most attractive in the group and somewhat of an introvert. Thus, Maki reaction feels real as I have encountered many people like her. Maki is Tsundere not because of some inferiority complexes (which btw is not logical at all) but from a real girl's emotion as she is putting a wall around herself due to fear of rejections.

Nozomi in the other hand is probably the wisest in the group. Though she may deny it, Nozomi-senpai enjoys manipulating others. She is keen on reading people as evidenced by her sharp commentary in episode 4 and again during the pillow fight this episode. Nozomi started the whole thing by first knocked out Niko and blamed Maki for it. Then, she threw it at Rin, whom Nozomi knew would participate in the fight. This is key since throwing it at unwilling targets such as Hayano or Kotori would not spark the "prison riot" scenario, whereas inciting the "three bakas" will fire-up others as well. Her leadership skill was also shown during the meal scene where the argument almost broke out between Rin and Umi, while Honoka was conveniently taken out of action. She calmed the situation down by suggesting an option everyone can agree on.

Other characters shown signs of development as well. Highlights are Niko's cooking, Umi's sleep-walking supersonic pillow, Eri's "Harasho." Niko continued excel as butt-monkey of the group. She is a Loli with inferiority complex. But rather than becoming a unreasonable Tsundere, Niko took advantage of it to create multiple personalities that she thinks are attractive to hide her deficiencies. I find it hilarious but endearing at the same time

The atmosphere in this episode was built very nicely with the support of 2 whole new OSTs! One was during the pillow fight, and the other one toward the end. I could not help but feel a little emotional at the end thanks to that OST

Animation quality was very good as well. The pillow fight was gorgeous for Love Live! standard. The derp faces are hardly recognizable. Small details such as the fact that Hayano still has eye problem and she had to wear glasses instead of contacts after bath, were noticed. Maki's legs purposely made to be the best here (even better than Eri) if you notice every time she was standing next to other characters.

The show's subtle wittiness was realized through Nozomi's lines as well as her smirk during Eri's ironic remarks. These all require the audience paying attention and having certain investment in the characters.

All-in-all, this episode is the best so far. Love Live! as a whole is a rare germ that worthy of re-watching multiple times as you always find something new each time.

Bonus:

Honoka & Rin's Mermaid Festa vol. 2

ThangLongMar 18, 2013 7:53 AM
Mar 18, 2013 7:55 AM

Sep 2012
^ ThangLong, you put a very thoughtful and insightful analysis of the episode. While I still cannot decide which episode is the best in the series so far, there is one thing that I am absolutely sure: This episode looks like a filler episode but is never one. Without this episode we may find a lot of team spirit that we are seeing now to be much less convincing, and it is not only just Maki or Nozomi. And as you said, the technical aspects are flawless, with the highlight being the character animation (sakuga) and music, but there are also all the tiny details that are rewarding for those who pay attention, be it Maki's legs or the role of the 3 Baka etc.
symbvMar 18, 2013 7:59 AM

Mar 18, 2013 10:03 AM

Dec 2012
symbv said:
Without this episode we may find a lot of team spirit that we are seeing now to be much less convincing, and it is not only just Maki or Nozomi.

Yes, without team building, there will be no team spirits. Especially, after watching episode 11 and looking back, it would be hard to convince acute watchers that the new team is willing to follow Honoka anywhere
. For a show that is more character-driven than anything else, certain aspects such as how they did come up with money for expensive cloths or state-of-the-art lighting system can be ignored, but skipping character relationship development is inexcusable.
This episode is even more important in ep 12 when the team is truly in crisis after that certain event. More so when we remember that not anyone's drive to save the school is as strong as Honoka and Eri. Team spirit is what they must rely on to hold together. Following Love Live! tendency of giving out evidence for events that will not happen after the next couple episodes, this will once again come back.

In another note, does anyone notice why Maki thanked Eri at the end?
Mar 18, 2013 10:21 AM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:

Is it a rhetorical question, or you expect some actual answer I wonder? :-)

Mar 18, 2013 10:26 AM

Dec 2012
symbv said:
ThangLong said:

Actually, I think it's a nice touch at the end, but some people may pass over. I have an idea on why, just want to know other people's opinions first xD
Mar 18, 2013 10:34 AM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
symbv said:
ThangLong said:
Actually, I think it's a nice touch at the end, but some people may pass over. I have an idea on why, just want to know other people's opinions first xD
That statement is important as it wraps up one key theme in this episode - namely how Maki got herself open up to everyone and how she thought Eri played a critical role in it. The interesting thing is one would think Maki would thank Nozomi in that scene, but instead she thanked Eri.

Mar 18, 2013 10:52 AM

Dec 2012
^ That is true, logically, she should thank Nozomi for it, doing it the Eri left me wonder for a while. But after some thinking, allow me to expand it further. Maki thanked Eri for two things. First, Eri is the one to suggest abolishing Senpai-kouhai relationship, thus allowing Maki to open up to everyone just as you suggested. Secondly, perhaps after speaking to Nozomi, Maki realized who was the "You remind me of someone" that Nozomi spoke about. The question kept bugging her until Maki understood that was Eri, and that her problem was the same as Eri's, just worse since she did not get over it as fast as Eri did. This made her realized that Eri is a model for her all along. xD

As for Eri, she may also finally understood why Nozomi was smirking about her ironic statement "she will be the tough one" earlier. That's why she winked at Maki's thank you.
ThangLongMar 18, 2013 10:59 AM
Mar 18, 2013 11:24 AM

Sep 2012
^ Very good points you made here. All I could think of was the link back to the title of the episode - Senpai forbidden, as it makes sense to have the last word of the episode to refer back to the title which should be a key theme of the episode. And for Maki her reluctance to call her senpai with casual names is a reflection of her tendency to stay as a half-outsider at the margin of a group in order to keep her composure and cool. So her ability to assimilate herself in the team and calls everyone by her casual name is a sign that she has opened up herself. So it makes sense for Maki to look back and realize that she has a lot to thank for Eri, who first proposed this change and used the "training camp" outing as the ideal place to start implementing the change.

But yet you came up with more insights and I agree very much with what you said.

Sometimes I find it frustrating to see some western fans fail to understand the heavy stress of Japanese on this senpai-kouhai relationship and the importance they attach to properly address another person according to their relative status, and proceed to mock or ridicule when they see a character struggle hard to get the right name for addressing. These people will not be able to understand this episode or appreciate why they needed to make such a big fuss over this senpai thing.

Mar 18, 2013 1:12 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
symbv said:
Sometimes I find it frustrating to see some western fans fail to understand the heavy stress of Japanese on this senpai-kouhai relationship and the importance they attach to properly address another person according to their relative status, and proceed to mock or ridicule when they see a character struggle hard to get the right name for addressing. These people will not be able to understand this episode or appreciate why they needed to make such a big fuss over this senpai thing.
Last week at a work department 'outing' some got me talking about my trip to Japan last November and one asked me if he were to move to Japan what did I think might possibly be the thing he might have most trouble with adjusting, and I said it was the emphasis the Japanese put on how they speak to and address each other (and it is often much more than just the honorifics attached at the end of names), but I don't think that says it strongly enough. It truly is 'more than just words'. The language we use defines how we perceive the world.
CratexMar 18, 2013 1:34 PM
Mar 19, 2013 4:46 AM

Aug 2011
A whole episode of fun! I sensed great vibes from Eli and Nico this time. Looks like its the concert next ep, the pacing feels a little too fast.
Mar 19, 2013 9:20 AM

Sep 2012
I loved the episode and of the four singles I have so far, the two cards which could have been of any of u's are Maki! Just luck but I am not complaining!
Mar 19, 2013 10:09 AM

Dec 2012
^ of course not, you got the best idol out of them after all xD. Well, I still like Honoka the most, but objectively, Maki is winning.
Mar 19, 2013 10:18 AM

Sep 2012
ThangLong said:
^ of course not, you got the best idol out of them after all xD. Well, I still like Honoka the most, but objectively, Maki is winning.

Indeed! Got Maki with Someday / Wonder Zone and Bokura wa Ima no naka de / Wild Stars.

Got all of them with Youth will be Heard / I want to dance in Kaguya's Castle.

Got Kotori with Susume Tomorrow / Start:Dash!!

3rd insert single soon!
hpulleyMar 19, 2013 3:28 PM
Mar 26, 2013 2:30 PM

Dec 2011
Poor Niko seemed to come out rather badly from that pillow fight.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Mar 26, 2013 2:40 PM

Jun 2011
I loved the pillow fight... I laugh pretty hard.

An anime with only girls there just has to be an episode with them going to the beach in swim suits.

Umi... I loved her in this episode.

This episode was just awesome.... I loved it!
Mar 28, 2013 5:40 AM
Mar 2013
I found a sub omitting Umi = beach joke...

Engrish speaker
Apr 10, 2013 3:19 AM

Oct 2012
Lol @ Nico...
Nico = Mascot
Also that beauty treatment XD

Umi,wah that scary smile...
Maki tsundere's overloaded =^^=

Harasho = good?
"Signature removed"
May 21, 2013 8:47 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

AiCon said:
kenshin_sama said:
Stark700 said:
Yup, the inevitable beach episode.

They don't always happen.
They happen often enough.

Here, however, we do not have the classic pointed to the sea and just, the B-side, except for one are avoided, the focus is on solid arguments!

ThangLong said:
happyhellhound said:
Ahhh I'm so disappointed in this show. This episode and the one before it were SO bland, cliche and predictable. I really hope in the next episode the writing isn't this lazy. I loved this show in the beginning, I feel as if it'slost some of its heart :C

I have to disagree. I think you might have felt that way because the show simmers down into slice of life with group interaction instead of that incredible energy from Honola's push in earlier episodes. However, changing of pace is inevitable since the group just newly formed and they have to straighten-out internal dynamics, relationships, and some members' problem before moving on to the big stage.

Instead of Honoka running the show, now we have Eri, Maki, Kotori, and Nozomi, whose contributions were not apparent before, shines. Not only expanding in width, the show also increases in depth for several characters, especially Kotori, and Maki. This is so that we are able to recognize μ both as a group, and a collection of individuals with different goals and feelings.

Moreover, this is an attempt the get further away from one-dimensional anime tropes such as Tsundere, Moeblobs, Kuudere and the likes, by portraying characters closer to real life. Bonds and friendships are built up with heartwarming depth

So yea, for me, this shows turn out even more wonderful, and with a lot of hearts

I agree, it was not on my part a filler episode like the others, I was very satisfied! Deserves full marks!
Aug 13, 2013 1:40 AM

Jul 2013
I want to do.... things.... to Nozomi's boobs
Sep 17, 2013 6:34 PM

Feb 2013
Pillow fight!
Apr 10, 2014 4:34 AM

Mar 2014
umi kowaiiii !!!
loved the Pillow fight scene it was so funny
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 10, 2014 9:42 AM

Jul 2013
Love the episode! Love that everyone's relationship is stronger, and can't wait for the next episode!!
May 17, 2014 11:53 AM

Nov 2012
People be wasting their wasting their time fooling around.
May 18, 2014 6:59 PM

Jun 2013
Wow that was such a heartwarming episode. :)
Jul 16, 2014 2:54 AM

Aug 2008
I finally found out what Eri keeps saying. She always says "horosho" and I couldn't find the meaning in Japan....but then realized she's also Russian!

хорошо (which means good). I think the little stuff each unique character has makes this show so special!!
Mar 5, 2015 5:02 PM

Dec 2013
Best ep. I guess I don't like the main 'plot' of this cartoon but I like the characters. This was a nice breather.
Apr 3, 2015 2:43 PM
May 2013
Amazing episode. I loved the pillowfight scene,the beach scene everything was nice;)
May 21, 2015 7:27 PM

Sep 2010
Don't mess with Umi-chan when she tries to sleep. You'll awaken a terrifying beast. xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 8, 2015 12:39 PM

Jul 2010
Pillow Fight FTW.
Nico is Love~
Jun 13, 2015 6:02 AM

Jul 2013
I approve this episode! I gotta say the OST is amazing too!
Aug 7, 2015 6:50 AM
Jan 2010
Nozomi once again doing so much for whole group, becoming my fav character i gotta admit.
Oct 13, 2015 2:17 AM

Jan 2015
Best pillow fight I've ever seen, the slow-mo was great and it was hilarious when they woke up Umi! Funny and nice episode. Going to watch the next one right now!

Oct 31, 2015 9:47 AM

Feb 2013
Cliché beach episode but so fun! And also, not a lot of fanservice! Yay.
Nov 15, 2015 8:25 AM

Oct 2009
Nozomi and Maki besto <3
Feb 3, 2016 9:09 AM
Dec 2012
I bet Nozomi means Ericchi when she said that Maki looks like someone she knew. And I didn't expect Nico can cook that well, but her acting skills totally sucks though. What's up with that Hanayo's bowl of rice... I didn't get it, is she the type that eat a lot? That sudden crunching cracker voice come out of no where lol. Umi is the one that you don't want to mess with when she's sleeping.
Feb 17, 2016 2:05 PM
Feb 2009
nozomi is so thoughtful i swear best candidate for a wife
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2013

263 by _untitled »»
Jul 22, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2013

205 by _untitled »»
Jul 22, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bippo - Mar 17, 2013

129 by _untitled »»
Jul 22, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2013

81 by _untitled »»
Jul 22, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

symbv - Feb 10, 2013

98 by _untitled »»
Jul 22, 7:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.