Forum Settings
Forums

If all anime was in English, would you still watch it?

New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 29, 2013 11:35 PM

Oct 2012
no, dubbed anime sucks dick. And anime dialogue usually sucks too; it's recycled throughout every anime, lacks originality, so much sometimes that it makes me sick and causes me to drop said anime. Go watch Gurren Lagann and you'll know what I mean. English voice actors in anime have no sense of natural conversation. Even some of the anime with the best dialogue and voice acting rub off as slightly cheesy, such as in Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, although in one that good sometimes you have to actually listen and repeat what they're saying to notice. But these people do have budgets miniscule to something such as Hollywood and their films, and boy does it show.
BTBAMJan 29, 2013 11:45 PM

Jan 29, 2013 11:37 PM

Jan 2013
No, hentai with english voices suck. They sound retarded.
You know what. Anime is always equal. When you look at that kinda stuff, you only see hentai everywhere.
I mean Steins Gate is like ya know Makise and that idiot main character lab-coat guy sewing their lab coats together so they can have children without people seeing. And the reason they keep having to jump back in time and why CERN is so mad at them is cause they have too many damn children.
Jan 29, 2013 11:40 PM

Dec 2012
If the storys didnt change and all the great anime still existed then yes, i probably would of delved deeper into anime much sooner

Jan 29, 2013 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
well in a world where anime is made and it is only in english voice i would stop watching anime ( japaness VA is a huge part why i enjoy anime) i despise watching english dub anime no matter how good it is .
Jan 30, 2013 12:35 AM

Oct 2012
Yes since I prefer dubs anyway.

Jan 30, 2013 12:45 AM

Oct 2012
Why ever not?
Jan 30, 2013 3:15 AM
Dec 2012
Hell yes. I'd prefer a localisation over a direct translation though. I cringe everytime I hear some yt speak wapanese.

Personally, I can't stand Japanese voice acting nowadays, although I do enjoy the older stuff. Off the top of my head, I can only think of 3 Japanese VAs that I actually like.

Mandarin dubs > all, btw. =]
This community is terrible.
Jan 30, 2013 3:19 AM

Feb 2012
This question doesn't even make sense, why the fuck wouldn't I keep watching it?
Jan 30, 2013 3:20 AM

Feb 2012
No. Futurama and South Park are enough to get my adult comedy fix.
Jan 30, 2013 3:23 AM

Jun 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
This question doesn't even make sense, why the fuck wouldn't I keep watching it?

Same here, I didn't start watching anime only because it was in Japanese.
Jan 30, 2013 3:32 AM

Feb 2008
If it was only limited to voice actors, then yes, I would, but if the entire production migrated to the West, then probably not. Setting aside which is superior and money invested in making it, Western cartoons mostly don't have themes that interest me, for which I watch anime in the first place. No giant robots, no space travel, no down-to-earth depictions of everyday life, screw that.

Jan 30, 2013 3:37 AM

Jan 2012
i don't think i would enjoy it half as much, american voices are just cringe most of the time, and it doesn't feel natural at all... and forced and cheesy! You can't take any serious moments serious because half the time your laughing at the voice actors :/ but as long as the story lines and such kept consistent I would continue to watch.. also maybe the voice acting standards would improve slowly as time progressed....
Jan 30, 2013 4:08 AM

Dec 2012
Depends.. if the voice acting and story is good.

Jan 30, 2013 4:12 AM

Nov 2012
I was hoping for another funny dub vs sub topic.
Jan 30, 2013 4:37 AM

Aug 2011
If they are made with using english as the mindset, that is, using english idioms and puns and matching their voice up to their lips. It doesnt matter if it still portrays Japanese cultures, eg. excessive apologies and self-encouragement, i'll still watch it

Its the problem with dubs nowadays that causes me second thoughts, I've seen some really really bad voice actors that can ruin shows for one, I guess in the end it comes down to the final quality of the show
kek
Jan 30, 2013 4:54 AM
May 2009
If its english dub, I would probably just wait for Cantonese dubs.
If you mean anime was made in by western english speaking nations. Then I probably will. As long as its good.

Though I can't see how Gintama would work if it was made by the west. All the Puns and Gags, won't work. Not to mention, the whole School Uniform fetish would probably disappear, if Anime was now set in America. Though Uniforms will still exists in UK anime.

Also less echi and harem will exists, due to womens rights groups in the west.
Dating sims, and Eroge will be banned or restricted.
Hentai genres won't exist.
Sexualising Female characters will have to stop.
The Zettai Ryoki thing will probably disappear.
Yaoi will probably still exist
Loli's might be banned.
Incest anime, not sure what effect that might have.
Jan 30, 2013 6:02 AM

Jun 2008
Ugh, that'd be a horrible situation, even if it's just a thought!! O_O
I'd disable the sound and probably look for subs to understand what's actually going on.

shintai88 said:
Though I can't see how Gintama would work if it was made by the west. All the Puns and Gags, won't work. Not to mention, the whole School Uniform fetish would probably disappear, if Anime was now set in America. Though Uniforms will still exists in UK anime.

Also less echi and harem will exists, due to womens rights groups in the west.
Dating sims, and Eroge will be banned or restricted.
Hentai genres won't exist.
Sexualising Female characters will have to stop.
The Zettai Ryoki thing will probably disappear.
Yaoi will probably still exist
Loli's might be banned.
Incest anime, not sure what effect that might have.

Now that you've put it that way, the idea doesn't sound that bad at all anymore to me |D
Face_FaithJan 30, 2013 6:05 AM
Jan 30, 2013 6:15 AM

May 2009
I would if...

a. the synching of lips is good
b. superb voice actors are employed - British or American accents? Hmmm...
c. the main characters are non-Japanese and therefore - no Kenshin
d. the main settings are non-Japanese so that - ex. no Edo period, Tokyo, Osaka locations
e. no Japanese puns/tradition/customs are employed

This essentially means animation that isn't with Japanese audience in mind. Because of the above reasons Cowboy Bebop was so enjoyable as a dub.

Otherwise...I'm confused
katsucats said:
Do you mean they were produced natively in English? That's a different implication than anime that are produced natively in Japanese and then dubbed in another language.

^
Jan 30, 2013 6:24 AM

Jun 2008
If the voice acting was the same as dubs then I don't know. If it was at the level of Hollywood animation films then it would still be good enough.
Jan 30, 2013 6:35 AM

Oct 2009
I see no problem with that. Some English speaking VA is quite good (looking again at ATLUS and NIS), I believe if the industry was as big as Japan, more talents would go to the industry.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Jan 30, 2013 7:02 AM

Aug 2012
Not sure. I like english language as much as japanese, but, enlish voices just don't fit anime characters to my mind. A "mature" anime would sound immediately more childish when it's in english, it also sounds less natural. So, I can't say.
Jan 30, 2013 7:10 AM

Aug 2012
Interesting. As much as I like watching a show in English, the dubbing companies tend to use the same standard voice actors for everything. I love hearing Josh Grelle or Todd Haberkorn (for example) as the main character for a lot of shows, but I get tired hearing the same voice for every male lead no matter how good the actors are.

But then, if what you say is actually happening, they'd probably have bigger budget to hire more actors in the first place.

This, of course, assumes that the shows are still being produced in Japan. I would say that not all shows fit in English. Historical shows and in-culture comedy (akin to our Family Guy), for example.
gamer2710Jan 30, 2013 7:15 AM
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jan 30, 2013 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
Yes, because I'm not a fucking weeaboo.
Jan 30, 2013 8:45 AM
Apr 2010
No, because I'm a fucking weaboo.
Jan 30, 2013 8:56 AM

Jun 2009
You mean no Hanazawa Kana?

I'll watch a lot less.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2013 9:09 AM
Feb 2012
Egh, no. That's such a hypothetical question.
Don't try to make me say yes either. I cannot stand dubs.
Jan 30, 2013 10:13 AM
Jan 2013
I would, but I have to say that English voice actors really need to improve their skills.
Jan 30, 2013 10:15 AM

Jun 2012
English is my preferred watching language. What a topic.
Jan 30, 2013 10:40 AM

Oct 2010
Sure I would!
Jan 30, 2013 10:41 AM
Jan 2013
I already watch anime English dubbed primarily. This wouldn't change anything for me and I actually like the idea.
Jan 30, 2013 11:25 AM

Aug 2009
SunInSplendor said:
Indeed, the differences between Japanese and English are those of momentous implications. I probably wouldn't watch anime anymore because it wouldn't be the same. It's like eating ice cream, but instead tasting yogurt. Sometimes sacrifices are necessary.

Thoughts?

I would love it if all anime was English.No more having to read little words on the bottom of the screen, no more disappointment that a subbed company licensed a anime instead of a dub company and no more having to wait years and sometimes decades for a series to be dubbed.
Jan 30, 2013 12:29 PM

Oct 2011
Seeing the amount of dubbed watch & the only reason I would watch the subbed before the dub is because they're out 1st & in some case,the only way to watch it.I do believe my stance on this topic is pretty obvious.

It's still the same exact stuff just brought in a different way.It's like a game you played for years on a PS3 then playing it on a Xbox 360.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.
Jan 30, 2013 12:29 PM
Jul 2012
MitsukiHimeka said:
It depends on the voice.

This
Jan 30, 2013 12:34 PM

Aug 2012
ezikialrage said:
SunInSplendor said:
Indeed, the differences between Japanese and English are those of momentous implications. I probably wouldn't watch anime anymore because it wouldn't be the same. It's like eating ice cream, but instead tasting yogurt. Sometimes sacrifices are necessary.

Thoughts?

I would love it if all anime was English.No more having to read little words on the bottom of the screen, no more disappointment that a subbed company licensed a anime instead of a dub company and no more having to wait years and sometimes decades for a series to be dubbed.

I feel ya, man. I just don't like the delay from Japanese release -> dub release. I'm sure they have their reasons though, like fear of BD reverse importation for a cheap ass cost.
Jan 30, 2013 12:39 PM

Jun 2010
I would still watch it (probably) but I would like pissed off because I don't like english dub. :@
Tell the victims to kill eachother.
Jan 30, 2013 12:44 PM

Jul 2012
Probably. It would be odd as fuck in anime with say, a Japanese school setting, though.

I still prefer the original Japanese for myriads of reasons. One of them being that I believe the Japanese language is an integral part of anime and the experience associated with them.

And by the way there's a lot of way, way too shallow people here.
LogicielJan 30, 2013 12:50 PM
Critic.
Jan 30, 2013 12:45 PM

Dec 2012
Niko-kun said:
Probably. It would be odd as fuck in anime with say, a Japanese school setting, though.

So all anime?

Jan 30, 2013 12:52 PM

Aug 2012
Niko-kun said:

I still prefer the original Japanese for myriads of reasons. One of them being that I believe the Japanese language is an integral part of anime and the experience associated with them.

Dubs only in special cases. (e.g Hellsing Ultimate)

And by the way there's a lot of way, way too shallow people here.

Shallow how? There's really no reason why people shouldn't be allowed to like a dub. I don't watch anime to learn culture quirks or language differences, I watch it because it's entertaining.
Jan 30, 2013 12:57 PM

Jun 2012
Considering I actually like English dubbed stuff (if it's good) then yes I would. The animation, and story would be the same just in English. I guess. >.<
Jan 30, 2013 1:16 PM

Jan 2013
If something is entertaining and good (to me) i will watch it. No matter the language or the country of origin.
Jan 30, 2013 2:09 PM

Nov 2012
Interesting replies. I read them all!

not srs
Jan 30, 2013 2:31 PM
Jul 2012
SunInSplendor said:
Wtf why aren't my posts showing???

lag.
Jan 30, 2013 3:44 PM
Jun 2012
weather it's in english or japanese or any other language i can understand, it's fine
as long a she quality stays the same
Jan 30, 2013 3:46 PM
Jun 2012
try watching some good dubbed anime, you'd enjoy it just the same, or even better since you won't bother reading the sub every freaking smoment ^^'.
try watching Planetes or Hellsing Ultimat in eng Dub.
Jan 30, 2013 3:58 PM

Jun 2009
you all should see some of those youtube fandub and abridged stuff it's really good
Jan 30, 2013 4:06 PM

Nov 2012
What do you mean? If you mean anime dubbed in English, then i wouldn't mind.

If you are talking about anime that are originally made in America or Europe, then it depends. I would hesitate a little because the atmosphere would be different. A western author's mentality would probably not be the same as that of a japanese author. He will be focusing on totally different social and cultural themes, which kinda eliminate the exotic appeal i'm looking for in japanese anime. I'll be better off watching the Simpsons.
Jan 30, 2013 4:16 PM

Apr 2012
Of course I'd still watch anime. In fact, I'd probably watch it much more than I do already.

People who are trying to start a mini-"sub vs. dub" flame war are completely missing the point of the question, with the question basically being this:

"If anime was produced exactly the same way (for a Japanese audience, same exact stories, same amazing voice actors, etc.) except they were only produced in English (maybe Japan's national language is English in this hypothetical scenario), would you still watch it?"

So every "sub is better than dub" comment or vice versa is totally pointless in this thread.

Anyways, as others have said, since I don't fall under the guise of weeaboo, I would still watch anime if it were produced in English (and would prefer it be that way, honestly).

Jan 30, 2013 4:19 PM

Jul 2012
Negative-Travis said:
Why wouldn't I?

It's still animation, and it's still a finite story (usually).
Only difference is I can understand what's being said and don't have to read anything.

Since I'm not an overzealous dub-hater, I don't see a problem.

This is like asking me if Japan decided to import every car they ever made, if I'd still drive them.
You're damn right I would.

this
Jan 30, 2013 4:21 PM

Oct 2012
Originally I started watching anime in english and I was fine with it 'til I switched to japanese. So yes, if japanese never existed in anime, I'd watch it in english.
Jan 30, 2013 4:23 PM
Sep 2011
If all anime was in English then there would be more effort in the English voice work, so yea.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - 57 minutes ago

12 by RaiYou »»
24 seconds ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - 5 hours ago

15 by Daviljoe193 »»
6 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby?

Anjuro - Yesterday

49 by Anjuro »»
10 minutes ago

» Love at first sight XD ( 1 2 3 4 )

kirAth-shiAue - Mar 24, 2007

171 by BigBoyAdvance »»
23 minutes ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - May 24

27 by BigBoyAdvance »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.